MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Snow tires for 2017 E400 luxury wagon (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/668492-snow-tires-2017-e400-luxury-wagon.html)

Forty9 05-31-2017 09:07 PM

Snow tires for 2017 E400 luxury wagon

My 2017 E400 luxury wagon is being built for European delivery this summer. By the time it is shipped to the US, I'll need snow tires. Where I live, it is customary for people to use four studded snow tires from October to April. With the luxury package, the wagon is factory-equipped with 18" twin 5-spoke wheels with run-flat all-season tires--the only choice offered, usually Michelins or Pirellis. I've read the posts about the advantages and disadvantages of run-flat tires and various sizes of wheels. I plan to use the factory wheels and tires for May to September driving, but I'm asking for advice on wheels and snow tires for the rest of the year.

I prefer to keep the look of the wheels and the size of tires the same in summer and winter. I plan to buy four extra wheels for winter tires, to spare wear and tear and expense in changing over the tires twice a year. Can I simply order four more OEM wheels matching those on my car? Are those appropriate for mounting snow tires, including studded tires? If so, can someone give me the part number for those wheels? Also, I'd be very happy to have any advice on suitable snow tires, preferably studded, for the 2017 E400 luxury wagon. Are there run-flat snow tires? with studs? Michelin and Blizzak have good reputations here, so I would tend toward those if possible. If anyone knows which tires would go with this, I'd be grateful for any information, since I'll need to order them in advance.

C280 Sport 05-31-2017 11:02 PM

Get rid of those run flat tires. They make for a awful ride and poor handling. Get a set of snow tires for the winter and get a set of all seasons maybe for well.... When it does not snow. Michelin is the way to go!

Diesel Benz 06-01-2017 04:42 AM

We also use studded tyres, not on all cars but the majority or at least a significant percentage. Nokian 245/45/18 Hakkapeliitta 8 are the most popular, also listed in the W213 recommended tyres document. Been thinking about 17 inch wheels for the 213.050 but if I remember right, the correct tyre size is not available for that wheel diameter.

c4004matic 06-01-2017 10:27 AM

You can definitely order a set if rims through the dealer, the list price will most certainly make you gag but you can haggle. My rims will definitely be different since Im not buying a 20in staggered set of winter tires. My guess is I'll just order a set of the "regular" five spoke 18 inch AMG ones . My question is why studded ones? You can only go so fast on those and they suck in dry winter conditions why not try a set of good studless tires like the michelin alpin or blizzacks? They offer almost the same snow and ice performance as studs and can be otherwise driven like an almost normal tire. Unless you live in the artic circle in a place that never gets plowed studs are not needed. Even in Minnesota where its often colder than anywhere in the world studs are not needed except for frozen lake racing :)

c4004matic 06-01-2017 11:02 AM

BTW I just checked with my dealer here and a set of 4 18in 5 spoke amg rims and tires is 5000 US!!!!!!

petee1997 06-01-2017 12:49 PM

Check with Tire Rack. They usually have the best prices for wheels and tires.They have wheels that look like MB wheels and they also have the MB center cap.You can check the prices on line and it will most probably be less than half of the 5K you are quoted.

I would recommend you stay with run flats because no spare in extreme weather can be dangerous.

davidjohnbamber 06-01-2017 02:21 PM

S213 E400

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 7166474)
We also use studded tyres, not on all cars but the majority or at least a significant percentage. Nokian 245/45/18 Hakkapeliitta 8 are the most popular, also listed in the W213 recommended tyres document. Been thinking about 17 inch wheels for the 213.050 but if I remember right, the correct tyre size is not available for that wheel diameter.

I don't think that 17 inch rims will clear the calipers. The S213 loaner I've been driving with 18" rims barely clear the calipers, Compared to the E350 I had the difference in the diameter of the rotors is substantial.

guhvies 06-01-2017 02:21 PM

@c4004matic, you're in Wisconsin, @Forty9 is in Alaska. Surely Alaska has 'better' winter weather than Wisconsin... 'Sides @Forty9 is just following custom and trying not to stand out...

c4004matic 06-01-2017 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by guhvies (Post 7166951)
@c4004matic, you're in Wisconsin, @Forty9 is in Alaska. Surely Alaska has 'better' winter weather than Wisconsin... 'Sides @Forty9 is just following custom and trying not to stand out...

I been 16 yrs in WI and 5 in Minnesota. The temperature in MN are regularly colder than AK and WI is real close. We sure don't have grizzlies but we have close encounters with black bears on a regular basis. What we don't often get is the enormous amounts of sudden snow that the sierras can get since its often too darned cold for snow!!!! We also have no discernible mountains which abound in AK. Its just king of weird not being able to drive faster than 55miles or so for 1/2 the year!!!

c4004matic 06-01-2017 09:53 PM

More info on studded vs studless

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/do-i-need-a-studded-winter-tire-or-is-studless-the-way-to-go-we-can-tell-you

vic viper 06-02-2017 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 7166474)

We are using 225/55R17 and that is correct circumferece but I am not sure if a 17" wheel will fit a 213050
the vehicle may require 18s if you have the larger (same as E43) brakes.

Diesel Benz 06-02-2017 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber (Post 7166950)
I don't think that 17 inch rims will clear the calipers. The S213 loaner I've been driving with 18" rims barely clear the calipers, Compared to the E350 I had the difference in the diameter of the rotors is substantial.

The 213.050 would accept 17 inch wheels. Tyres with sufficient load capacity (and correct size) do not seem to be available. This also depends on the options (like AMG suspension or such), see attachment.

Agreed though that 18 inch is a safe choice for those who are after the smallest wheel (best ride comfort).

vic viper 06-02-2017 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 7167557)
The 213.050 would accept 17 inch wheels. Tyres with sufficient load capacity (and correct size) do not seem to be available. This also depends on the options (like AMG suspension or such), see attachment.

Agreed though that 18 inch is a safe choice for those who are after the smallest wheel (best ride comfort).

Where are you looking?, 225/55R17 is a very common size tire and is available in several different load capacities, 97 and up

Diesel Benz 06-02-2017 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7167585)
Where are you looking?, 225/55R17 is a very common size tire and is available in several different load capacities, 97 and up

I don't want 225/55 tyres on a 213.050 that comes with 275/40 standard tyres. I could take 245/50/17 tyres but cannot find them, studded or not.

Considering the discussion about studded tyres, I agree studdless are more convenient and mostly perform equally well and perhaps at times better but the studded tyres are better (safer) when conditions are worst. It may be a rare case in our winter but for the wife's car I insist on tyres that perform best when performance is mostly needed. She can manage well in the conditions where studdless might perform better. In fact I prefer studded tyres myself too. That said, our Sprinter runs with summer front tyres, studdless winter tyres rear (it is registered as a light truck).

c4004matic 06-02-2017 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7167537)
We are using 225/55R17 and that is correct circumferece but I am not sure if a 17" wheel will fit a 213050
the vehicle may require 18s if you have the larger (same as E43) brakes.

If you have sport brakes you need 18s

vic viper 06-02-2017 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7167647)
If you have sport brakes you need 18s

There are three different sport brake sizes, the E400 and E43 being the largest and requires 18s
The other two on the other hand works with 17s and I am not sure what kind of brakes the E350 is equipped with.

c4004matic 06-02-2017 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7167678)
There are three different sport brake sizes, the E400 and E43 being the largest and requires 18s
The other two on the other hand works with 17s and I am not sure what kind of brakes the E350 is equipped with.

In the US there are 3 brake systems the standard brakes for comfort and non sport wheel system. The brakes for the sport version of the 300 and then the E43's. I believe the main difference between the Sport version and the E 43 is where the four pot caliper is sourced from one, is AMG the other MB. At first I thought it was a simple badge job given that they are bout 4 piston systems but in fact the calipers are different and the brake qualities are also different. The MB 4 pots on my C400 were very clean but occasionally very queaky, the AMG's are dirt monsters, but they do work and feel awesome.

vic viper 06-02-2017 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7167758)
In the US there are 3 brake systems the standard brakes for comfort and non sport wheel system. The brakes for the sport version of the 300 and then the E43's. I believe the main difference between the Sport version and the E 43 is where the four pot caliper is sourced from one, is AMG the other MB. At first I thought it was a simple badge job given that they are bout 4 piston systems but in fact the calipers are different and the brake qualities are also different. The MB 4 pots on my C400 were very clean but occasionally very queaky, the AMG's are dirt monsters, but they do work and feel awesome.

The E400 and the E43 share the same fixed caliper, even the C450 and the C43 use them, only difference being the AMG logo on the side.

Then there are two smaller sport brake sizes as well, plus the lux non cross drilled brakes with a single pot floating caliper.

coladin 06-02-2017 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Forty9 (Post 7166228)
My 2017 E400 luxury wagon is being built for European delivery this summer. By the time it is shipped to the US, I'll need snow tires. Where I live, it is customary for people to use four studded snow tires from October to April. With the luxury package, the wagon is factory-equipped with 18" twin 5-spoke wheels with run-flat all-season tires--the only choice offered, usually Michelins or Pirellis. I've read the posts about the advantages and disadvantages of run-flat tires and various sizes of wheels. I plan to use the factory wheels and tires for May to September driving, but I'm asking for advice on wheels and snow tires for the rest of the year.

I prefer to keep the look of the wheels and the size of tires the same in summer and winter. I plan to buy four extra wheels for winter tires, to spare wear and tear and expense in changing over the tires twice a year. Can I simply order four more OEM wheels matching those on my car? Are those appropriate for mounting snow tires, including studded tires? If so, can someone give me the part number for those wheels? Also, I'd be very happy to have any advice on suitable snow tires, preferably studded, for the 2017 E400 luxury wagon. Are there run-flat snow tires? with studs? Michelin and Blizzak have good reputations here, so I would tend toward those if possible. If anyone knows which tires would go with this, I'd be grateful for any information, since I'll need to order them in advance.

I second Tire Rack and not needing studded tires. I am in Ottawa, which I believe is the second coldest capital city and honestly with the 4MATIC, Nokians, Blizzaks or Michelin Arctic Alpins will render your vehicle unstoppable.

My C400 had Blizzaks for 2 winters and switched to Nokian Hakkawhatever and they were a definitie improvement from an already very good winter tire.

You should be able to get a great winter setup through Tire Rack for under 2K. Nice looking wagon, I am getting one in November to replace my 2014 wagon, can't wait!

c4004matic 06-02-2017 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=vic viper;7167787]The E400 and the E43 share the same fixed caliper, even the C450 and the C43 use them, only difference being the AMG logo on the side.

Then there are two smaller sport brake sizes as well, plus the lux non cross drilled brakes with a single pot floating caliper.[/QUOTE

The 43's use the same AMG calipers, the 400 (at least the C400) did not! The AMG and MB 4 pot calipers are (or were) different. As you, I thought it was just a label, in fact they are totally different calipers. I know, Ive had both types. Unless MB changed their 4 piston caliper in the last 2 years. The MB had square sharply cut edges the, AMG has a bulbous middle. The rotor hub, on the other hand, is the same flutted, gray painted one.