E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Designo Leather and I need so help with colors and comfort...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Are you saying that Maybach, Porsche & RR drivers don't buy their cars as status symbols?
Yes...that is correct, for the most part.
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Don't know about those drivers, but MB is mostly a status symbol. Lots of cars on the lots have just the P1 package. There are other brands out there that have more options for a lot less money. Then it means it's a status symbol. It's nice to see some people ordering the cars with the P3 package, in previous models, they never even got the P2 package. In other words, lots of what are supposed to be luxury cars with no luxury features.
Thank you cetialpha. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Don't know about those drivers, but MB is mostly a status symbol. Lots of cars on the lots have just the P1 package. There are other brands out there that have more options for a lot less money. Then it means it's a status symbol. It's nice to see some people ordering the cars with the P3 package, in previous models, they never even got the P2 package. In other words, lots of what are supposed to be luxury cars with no luxury features.
I believe there are a lot of folks who buy most any car, above a Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, etc. as status symbols. I'm sure there are even those who feel that a Corolla or a Civic IS a status symbol. It just depends on the economic status of the individual. In addition, there are folks who can afford most any car this side of a Buggati, who continually buy cars off the lot at their local MB, Porsche, Bentley or Rolls dealer, NEVER waiting to have one built, just as they desire, pretty much because they just don't care. I have a friend who owns so much income property, he is probably a .0001 percenter. I've beat him over the head about Distronic, but he never gets it on his new MB, because "the dealer didn't have one."

I believe that the percentage of MB buyers who buy because of the status associated with the brand is no more than that of similar luxury brands.
The following users liked this post:
Cubfan (11-12-2018)
Old 07-23-2017, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I believe there are a lot of folks who buy most any car, above a Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, etc. as status symbols. I'm sure there are even those who feel that a Corolla or a Civic IS a status symbol. It just depends on the economic status of the individual. In addition, there are folks who can afford most any car this side of a Buggati, who continually buy cars off the lot at their local MB, Porsche, Bentley or Rolls dealer, NEVER waiting to have one built, just as they desire, pretty much because they just don't care. I have a friend who owns so much income property, he is probably a .0001 percenter. I've beat him over the head about Distronic, but he never gets it on his new MB, because "the dealer didn't have one."

I believe that the percentage of MB buyers who buy because of the status associated with the brand is no more than that of similar luxury brands.
It's too bad that they limit the options based on the model. I saw a bunch of S550's at the dealer and they pretty much all had the Distronic on them. But maybe he's not buying the S550 due to the size. Lots of E's on the lot that didn't have distronic. Part of the blame is on the dealer for ordering more base model cars and I know lots of people who just buy whatever is on the lot and don't want to wait 3-6 months for a custom order. The dealers have to compete with other brands so if has too many options, the price can be an extra 10-20k higher. Having all the options is great as a used car though, Nadaguide, KBB don't really value them that much.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series

I think you somehow totally missed the point of my post. But, surprisingly, you also supported the point of my post with your recent post.

What I was saying is that Mercedes knows that (wholistically) most people don't value 'extra special' options in the same way that people value them in other luxury brands (e.g. Porsche, RR, Bentley, etc). So I think they basically build the very minimum and rely on the Mercedes name alone to sell the cars, instead of all of the special touches that no one really wants or can't afford. Or, for those who can afford them, they are either too impatient or not tied up with the materialistic specifics or detailed options. Like someone said earlier, Mercedes is turning to what makes the quickest dollar and will keep their bottom line in the darkest of blacks. Whether we like it or not, the masses is what dictates, unfortunately, a lot of things that go on today. Those who are in the minority either have to suck it up, or they have to find that very niche market and utilize it as their exclusive product. That's where brands like Hermes, Rolls-Royce, Tom Ford, Audemars Piguet, etc come into play.
It's too bad that they limit the options based on the model. I saw a bunch of S550's at the dealer and they pretty much all had the Distronic on them. But maybe he's not buying the S550 due to the size. Lots of E's on the lot that didn't have distronic. Part of the blame is on the dealer for ordering more base model cars and I know lots of people who just buy whatever is on the lot and don't want to wait 3-6 months for a custom order. The dealers have to compete with other brands so if has too many options, the price can be an extra 10-20k higher. Having all the options is great as a used car though, Nadaguide, KBB don't really value them that much.
Yeah, it's partly the dealer's fault and then partly on the economic status of society. People value different things differently. So it all has to be put in perspective
Old 07-26-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by jscb
I am ordering a E300 with the Designo Leather and I need so help with colors and comfort...

Do most people like the Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown or the all Black with Gray??
(Im getting a black car)

I am worried about keeping the Beige clean??

I am wondering if this leather will be comfortable and soft too??

Thanks for everyones and help!

This how it looks after almost a year : Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_mPJ0MNN2ZqQ5ZRU5_E7MxlXo-
Old 07-26-2017, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Wassaby
This how it looks after almost a year : Macchiato Beige/Saddle Brown
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai_mPJ0MNN2ZqQ5ZRU5_E7MxlXo-
Someone on these boards once said that to own a black car, you had to be a "glass half full" type of person. Being a "glass half empty" person myself, I completely agree.

I believe the same goes for this and other very light colored interiors. It's so beautiful, but after a year here you can see the darkening of the seat bottom, the marks on the carpets, etc. We are going for the Designo Titanium Gray Pearl/Black Exclusive Nappa interior when we order our E400 sedan later this year.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I live in Florida where dark colors get too hot. I've always had either white or light beige leather interiors. I've never had an issue with them looking soiled or less than pristine. My 10 year old BMW, a daily driver, looks as good as new including the original light beige floor mats. I clean my car inside and outside once a month whether it needs it or not.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
How can I check on a car build? I have the PO number.

Anyone have the site you go to to check on your build? I have the po number. My dealer keeps saying to keep waiting. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
Originally Posted by tresean1
Nice 600; I'd love to see more pics of it!

I think the real answer here, and Mercedes-Benz clearly knows it, is that most (or at least enough for it to matter) owners either: can't really afford those bespoke options on a car they are buying, or don't really want/care to spend the money for those extravagant details. As sad as it is to say, and as much as the truth hurts, many Mercedes buyers are purchasing the cars for the status symbol and the perception that it evokes, rather than the personal enjoyment and satisfaction. THAT is what sets Maybach and Porsche and Rolls-Royce buyers apart from Mercedes buyers.
Hi tresean1: here is a link to my 600 which was recently featured in a cars and coffee event in Sausalito, CA.
http://www.biscottiandcars.com/aug-2017-bc/
The following users liked this post:
arnsbrae (08-08-2017)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ua549
I've always had either white or light beige leather interiors. I've never had an issue with them looking soiled or less than pristine. My 10 year old BMW, a daily driver, looks as good as new including the original light beige floor mats. I clean my car inside and outside once a month whether it needs it or not.
This. Wash the car properly once a month. It will thank you for it. I've had beige, light grey, light brown, cocoa, blue, red designo and now black/grey designo leather interiors. They always age beautiful because I take care of them.

My advice, if you care, is to buy the color you like and enjoy it. However, if you hate taking any care of cars, just get black mb-tex.