E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Currenr S class owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes e class 350
Currenr S class owner

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the forum and wanted to get some opinions. My 2015 s class lease is coming to an end and I have an opportunity to get our early so I'm entertaining my optoons.

Based on the recent redesigns of different benz models, I'm considering going to an e class. Not only for the fact that they look so similar, but having hard time justifying the costs of s class as well. Amazing car, but it's extremely big which is what I love about it, but recently thinking of something smaller. And the 2018 s class is pretty much same car..minor updates imo

I know it will be an adjustment since the s class drive is so smooth and larger engine, but wanted to get your thoughts. I know if have to go for v6 model at the very least. Wanting to keep price point at 80k.

Lastly, I'm torn between colors.. diamond white and selenite grey..my s class is white and I love it, such a classy color but grey is nice...just not sure of I'd tired of it over time.

I'm really loving the coupe 400 as well...would be a big change , but I'm single guy and considering it!

Appreciate any feedback you all could give. I have yet to drive either the sedan or coupe but plan on making visit next weekend.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
If I could I would drive an S class for sure. it's my dream car. - (so you know my answer)

I had an E coupé in the past, and although I prefer the design over the sedan,
it is not a practical car at all.

it's ridiculously small in the back (i'm 1.85m and touch the ceiling),
has only 2 seats and is very difficult to get into.

as I don't have any kids this didn't seem so much of an issue, but
you'd be surprised how often you have more than 2 people in your car :-)

and especially when u come from a S class you might find the coupé small...

As to the color: can only say my 4 Mercedes all have been black! (once you go black...)

Last edited by Egonvdv; 08-14-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
If I could I would drive an S class for sure. it's my dream car. - (so you know my answer)

I had an E coupé in the past, and although I prefer the design over the sedan,
it is not a practical car at all.

it's ridiculously small in the back (i'm 1.85m and touch the ceiling),
has only 2 seats and is very difficult to get into.

as I don't have any kids this didn't seem so much of an issue, but
you'd be surprised how often you have more than 2 people in your car :-)

and especially when u come from a S class you might find the coupé small...

As to the color: can only say my 4 Mercedes all have been black! (once you go black...)

Thanks for the response . Not the one I was hoping for lol but I guess I'd be foolish not to think there will be pretty significant change in size and ride going down to e class. My concern with the sedan is not feeling like I got a new car, since it looks like a smaller version of my s class. Not many other options in the benz line up that attracts me and not wanting to spend more than what I do now.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
The 2018 E400 Coupe is quite a bit larger than the outgoing E coupes, which were built on a modified C class chassis. Of the current E class cars, the E400 Coupe in RWD would be my choice. In fact I am shopping it against the outgoing CLS 550 as I would prefer the larger engine. And RWD vs. 4Matic which I neither want nor need.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
For 80K you can get a nicely optioned E 43. It will be more powerful than an S class, just as quiet and just as comfortable in the front seats. It will handle noticeably better. It will be significantly more snug in the back though still comfortable and its ride will be a little busier. The E class is now as big if not bigger than S class of yore. The S class is now so big that its almost pushing the limits of a limo and kind of silly as a single occupant vehicle. Though the S class drives in a way that astonishing for an enormous car, its still an enormous car more apt for riding in the rear than as a "drivers" car.
You will like the E, it feels as solid as an S but in a much more personal sized vehicle. You get that "cush" you get from the flagship but with a much more sporty personal flair. An E43 with the P3 package and no other extras will cost almost exactly 80K.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Naseem22
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the forum and wanted to get some opinions. My 2015 s class lease is coming to an end and I have an opportunity to get our early so I'm entertaining my optoons.

Based on the recent redesigns of different benz models, I'm considering going to an e class. Not only for the fact that they look so similar, but having hard time justifying the costs of s class as well. Amazing car, but it's extremely big which is what I love about it, but recently thinking of something smaller. And the 2018 s class is pretty much same car..minor updates imo

I know it will be an adjustment since the s class drive is so smooth and larger engine, but wanted to get your thoughts. I know if have to go for v6 model at the very least. Wanting to keep price point at 80k.

Lastly, I'm torn between colors.. diamond white and selenite grey..my s class is white and I love it, such a classy color but grey is nice...just not sure of I'd tired of it over time.

I'm really loving the coupe 400 as well...would be a big change , but I'm single guy and considering it!

Appreciate any feedback you all could give. I have yet to drive either the sedan or coupe but plan on making visit next weekend.
I currently have an E300 (mine is polar white) and I also drive my moms 2015 S class a lot (hers is diamond white). Going from one to the other, you will notice the differences in size and also in luxury and comfort. The seats in the S class are a lot more comfortable than the E class. The S has Nappa leather seats and my E300 has the MB-Tex. The MB-Tex is comfortable but not the best with long trips (I go more into this later). The E class has a lot of soft touch materials in places where in the S class it would be leather (I can notice a difference in the feel of the soft touch surfaces in the E and the leather surfaces in the S). I personally think the leather surfaces feel a lot better than the soft touch surfaces.

The ride quality is noticeably different. The ride quality in the E is not as smooth or as "cloud like" as the S class. Not sure how the luxury E class rides but I have the 19" AMG wheels on my E300 (without the air suspension) and the ride is stiff and you can feel bumps in the road, but I still comfortable. In the S class, as you know already, it is great for long trips. I drive my E class from Orlando to Tampa often and sometimes my back will start hurting during the drive with my E class. In my mom's S class I never have any aches or anything.

The tech in the E class can be faulty at times (my whole command system is laggy). I do not know how the tech in the new S class will compare to the E class but hopefully, they worked out the bugs in the 2018 S class. I know a lot of the tech from the E is going to the new S so I would think they would have worked out the bugs from the E class command system. In my E class and others, the sound of the parking sensors and the blind spot assist is very low. In the S class, it is much louder and noticeable.

The engine in the E300 is not the worst but if you have a full car then you will notice that it is slow. being alone in the E class it is not the worst and it goes when needed but it does not have the "confidence" as the S class has. The S has a lot more pickup compared to the E300. If you decide to get an E, wait until the E400 comes out because the 4 cylinder is kind of slow and it can be noisy.

Moving onto looks and aesthetic, I personally think the S class makes a much better impression than the E class. Optioned correctly, the E class can look great, but a lot of people mistake my E class for a C class quite often. With the S class when people see it, they know it is an S class, especially by the size. Although the S class does look similar to the C (especially from the side), I think if the S is optioned with the sport packages and AMG wheels, it will look less like the C and stand out more.

Not sure how big/tall you are but I am 6'5 and I have just enough headroom in my E sedan. I sat in the new E coupe and I did not have enough headroom to fit comfortably in that car.

Me personally, I am trying to get into an S class as soon as my E lease is up (3.5 years). They are the best cars on the road and they make the best/biggest statement IMO. If you decide on the E you will notice a big difference between the two and the E will not feel as nice as the S. These are just a few of my thoughts and things I've noticed between the two since I drive my E300 every day and my mom's S class quite often.

Color wise, I personally like the white on brown combo (my E and my mom's S have that combo). I was considering the new selenite gray (or whatever it's called) for my E and it does look nice when the sun shines on it, but I ultimately went with white because it stands out more and when the sun does not hit the gray color, it looks bland and it is too light of a gray IMO.

Last edited by makris0000; 08-14-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by makris0000
I currently have an E300 (mine is polar white) and I also drive my moms 2015 S class a lot (hers is diamond white). Going from one to the other, you will notice the differences in size and also in luxury and comfort. The seats in the S class are a lot more comfortable than the E class. The S has Nappa leather seats and my E300 has the MB-Tex. The MB-Tex is comfortable but not the best with long trips (I go more into this later). The E class has a lot of soft touch materials in places where in the S class it would be leather (I can notice a difference in the feel of the soft touch surfaces in the E and the leather surfaces in the S). I personally think the leather surfaces feel a lot better than the soft touch surfaces.

The ride quality is noticeably different. The ride quality in the E is not as smooth or as "cloud like" as the S class. Not sure how the luxury E class rides but I have the 19" AMG wheels on my E300 (without the air suspension) and the ride is stiff and you can feel bumps in the road, but I still comfortable. In the S class, as you know already, it is great for long trips. I drive my E class from Orlando to Tampa often and sometimes my back will start hurting during the drive with my E class. In my mom's S class I never have any aches or anything.

The tech in the E class can be faulty at times (my whole command system is laggy). I do not know how the tech in the new S class will compare to the E class but hopefully, they worked out the bugs in the 2018 S class. I know a lot of the tech from the E is going to the new S so I would think they would have worked out the bugs from the E class command system. In my E class and others, the sound of the parking sensors and the blind spot assist is very low. In the S class, it is much louder and noticeable.

The engine in the E300 is not the worst but if you have a full car then you will notice that it is slow. being alone in the E class it is not the worst and it goes when needed but it does not have the "confidence" as the S class has. The S has a lot more pickup compared to the E300. If you decide to get an E, wait until the E400 comes out because the 4 cylinder is kind of slow and it can be noisy.

Moving onto looks and aesthetic, I personally think the S class makes a much better impression than the E class. Optioned correctly, the E class can look great, but a lot of people mistake my E class for a C class quite often. With the S class when people see it, they know it is an S class, especially by the size. Although the S class does look similar to the C (especially from the side), I think if the S is optioned with the sport packages and AMG wheels, it will look less like the C and stand out more.

Not sure how big/tall you are but I am 6'5 and I have just enough headroom in my E sedan. I sat in the new E coupe and I did not have enough headroom to fit comfortably in that car.

Me personally, I am trying to get into an S class as soon as my E lease is up (3.5 years). They are the best cars on the road and they make the best/biggest statement IMO. If you decide on the E you will notice a big difference between the two and the E will not feel as nice as the S. These are just a few of my thoughts and things I've noticed between the two since I drive my E300 every day and my mom's S class quite often.

Color wise, I personally like the white on brown combo (my E and my mom's S have that combo). I was considering the new selenite gray (or whatever it's called) for my E and it does look nice when the sun shines on it, but I ultimately went with white because it stands out more and when the sun does not hit the gray color, it looks bland and it is too light of a gray IMO.

I appreciate the detailed response, this was great. Everything you're saying is what I kind of knew and expected , but was hoping it was not the case. I recall getting the S back in 2016 and people telling me there's no going back once you drive it, nothing will compare.

I know that driving a smaller car will take some adjusting to, but i'm sure over time I will adjust. My dad has a 5 series and I drive it once in a while and my first reaction is always how small it is, but after a day or two It's not bad.

I just got back from the benz dealership, quick stop just to sit inside a coupe E400, and basically by time I sit in the car and move the seat back, since I drive reclined a bit...the backseat is pretty much gone, completely. Not a major concern since I never have anyone in the back and I'm always driving alone, but was strange feeling being in a "capsule" which is how I felt. It was ok, i'd have to take the coupe out for a drive to see how it handles.

I did not get inside a sedan since I was on lunch and in a hurry. They did not have an AMG and if I went with the sedan I believe that is the only one I would go for.

The coupe is sexy though, I won't lie..mini version of the S coupe. I wish the S Coupe wasn't so dam much!

Btw, i'm in Orlando and frequent that same drive to Clearwater.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
I appreciate the detailed response, this was great. Everything you're saying is what I kind of knew and expected , but was hoping it was not the case. I recall getting the S back in 2016 and people telling me there's no going back once you drive it, nothing will compare.

I know that driving a smaller car will take some adjusting to, but i'm sure over time I will adjust. My dad has a 5 series and I drive it once in a while and my first reaction is always how small it is, but after a day or two It's not bad.

I just got back from the benz dealership, quick stop just to sit inside a coupe E400, and basically by time I sit in the car and move the seat back, since I drive reclined a bit...the backseat is pretty much gone, completely. Not a major concern since I never have anyone in the back and I'm always driving alone, but was strange feeling being in a "capsule" which is how I felt. It was ok, i'd have to take the coupe out for a drive to see how it handles.

I did not get inside a sedan since I was on lunch and in a hurry. They did not have an AMG and if I went with the sedan I believe that is the only one I would go for.

The coupe is sexy though, I won't lie..mini version of the S coupe. I wish the S Coupe wasn't so dam much!

I had an early w213 e Class sedan, which I returned and replaced with the new e Coupe. I’ve had an amazing amount of positive comments from friends and colleagues about how cool the Coupe looks. It has a lot of road presence from both the front and back and it’s nicely finished inside.
I do feel the sedan is classy, in a restrained way but the Coupe is a bit more obviously exciting (to my taste).
When you drop all the windows, there is no b pillar and the sensation of space is great...
My kids are all grown up and living away from home so rear seating is no issue. In the UK, relatively few people are over 6’ 2” so there is plenty of headroom for most in the (rare) event it’s needed.

Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by arnsbrae
I had an early w213 e Class sedan, which I returned and replaced with the new e Coupe. I’ve had an amazing amount of positive comments from friends and colleagues about how cool the Coupe looks. It has a lot of road presence from both the front and back and it’s nicely finished inside.
I do feel the sedan is classy, in a restrained way but the Coupe is a bit more obviously exciting (to my taste).
When you drop all the windows, there is no b pillar and the sensation of space is great...
My kids are all grown up and living away from home so rear seating is no issue. In the UK, relatively few people are over 6’ 2” so there is plenty of headroom for most in the (rare) event it’s needed.

Good luck whichever way you go!
How would you compare the drive of the coupe vs the sedan you had? Also, do you feel the E coupe is similar to the C, where it will be easily mistaken for C class?

Curious on your ext/int combination you went with..any pics?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
The only E class that can work to replace an S class is the E43 with P3. Nappa leather, great seats, 396 hp, and air suspension. It's a smaller and lighter car but should give you the comfort you're looking for plus the performance. It should also work in your price point.

Last edited by petee1997; 08-14-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
How would you compare the drive of the coupe vs the sedan you had? Also, do you feel the E coupe is similar to the C, where it will be easily mistaken for C class?

Curious on your ext/int combination you went with..any pics?
This new e Class Coupe is quite a bit bigger than the last version, which was based on the c Class underpinnings. It is more likely to be mistaken for an s Coupe than a c Coupe!

In the UK at least, the e Coupe only comes in AMG Line, so trim is on the sporty side. I went for polar white with black interior but I think the Coupe also looks amazing in Designo Red - pretty much all of MB’s promotional material is white or red. There is a Designo white but personally, I feel the Polar White is purer.
I also went for 20” wheels and tinted windows.
If you go white then you might like the shadow line option, which replaces some chrome with a black finish.
There are some “quick & dirty” pictures of my car in the pictures section of this forum - I’ll add the link in a moment.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-thread-9.html - mine is post #213 - sorry about the poor quality snaps!

The Coupe is set up a little firmer than the Coupe but I had the air suspension on the sedan but variable suspension on the Coupe. It is still not rock hard like some BMWs I have owned.

HTH

Last edited by arnsbrae; 08-14-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by petee1997
The only E class that can work to replace an S class is the E43 with P3. Nappa leather, great seats, 396 hp, and air suspension. It's a smaller and lighter car but should give you the comfort you're looking for plus the performance. It should also work in your price point.
Not really, you can load up a 300 or 400 with virtually all the luxury goodies of a 43. However you end up at almost the same price and miss all the go fast goodies. I keep saying it, given MBs pricing structure the 43 is actually a good deal!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Not really, you can load up a 300 or 400 with virtually all the luxury goodies of a 43. However you end up at almost the same price and miss all the go fast goodies. I keep saying it, given MBs pricing structure the 43 is actually a good deal!
I agree. My wife originally was ordering a loaded E400. Because of the high option content, it was a no brainer to get the E43. The difference was 3K.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=makris0000;7238575

Color wise, I personally like the white on brown combo (my E and my mom's S have that combo). I was considering the new selenite gray (or whatever it's called) for my E and it does look nice when the sun shines on it, but I ultimately went with white because it stands out more and when the sun does not hit the gray color, it looks bland and it is too light of a gray IMO.[/QUOTE]

Agree on color as Well, stopped by local dealer and saw the grey in person and was a bit underwhelmed. I've seen so many videos on YouTube that made the selenite grey look sooo nice but wasn't for me, still a great color but feel it get tired of it. A bit too bland as you stated

Diamond white really looks amazing..i prefer it over the polar white
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Agree on color as Well, stopped by local dealer and saw the grey in person and was a bit underwhelmed. I've seen so many videos on YouTube that made the selenite grey look sooo nice but wasn't for me, still a great color but feel it get tired of it. A bit too bland as you stated

I agree the diamond white does look really good. I got polar white on my E300 because I did not want to pay over $1K for the paint. I was considering the selenite gray and the videos got my hooked on it but when I saw it in person I thought it was bland.

I'm not sure how old you are but I know with older people, they like to downsize because they don't want such a big car anymore. I personally see myself driving big cars until the day I die or until I cannot drive anymore.

Driving a smaller car does take getting used to. My first car was a 2003 Grand Marquis and I was used to that. My previous car after the Mercury was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I was able to whip that thing around anywhere. After that, I got my E300 and it does not feel bigger or smaller compared to my Jeep (except for height and the fact I cannot fly over pot holes, speed bumps and curbs anymore). So you will probably get used to it but I think you will miss the size.

Being in a coupe I would think takes some time to get used to. I do love the new E coupe but they did not add any headroom to it. Also, the S coupe of gorgeous and I want to get one but I agree they are way too expensive. Hopefully, I can get one by the time I'm 35.

And small world! I drive to Clearwater Beach and New Port Richey mostly from Orlando (I usually say Tampa because no one knows New Port Richey and sometimes they don't know Clearwater Beach). I'm here for law school so soon enough I won't be making the trip back and forth so often.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Driving a smaller car does take getting used to. My first car was a 2003 Grand Marquis and I was used to that. My previous car after the Mercury was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I was able to whip that thing around anywhere. After that, I got my E300 and it does not feel bigger or smaller compared to my Jeep (except for height and the fact I cannot fly over pot holes, speed bumps and curbs anymore). So you will probably get used to it but I think you will miss the size.

Being in a coupe I would think takes some time to get used to. I do love the new E coupe but they did not add any headroom to it. Also, the S coupe of gorgeous and I want to get one but I agree they are way too expensive. Hopefully, I can get one by the time I'm 35.

-- I'm the same way, always have loved big body sedans, and while I'll be the first to agree that the s class can be a bit obnoxiously big, and clearly feels like one should be driven in it...i still love it lol. I'm 35 , not married or have any kids so the space is clearly not needed.

I'm going to test drive the coupe this week and sedan...doubt I'll find an amg43 to test drive, But at least the regular sedan will give me an idea if I like the size of the car.

I may very well end up in a 2018 s class..but I'm sure that will feel like the same car I have now since not much as changes since 2016 model
Appreciate all the feedback guys,
Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

Yep I agree dont get the selenite. I want to keep my selenite matte as unique as possible
Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 PM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe

-- I'm the same way, always have loved big body sedans, and while I'll be the first to agree that the s class can be a bit obnoxiously big, and clearly feels like one should be driven in it...i still love it lol. I'm 35 , not married or have any kids so the space is clearly not needed.

I'm going to test drive the coupe this week and sedan...doubt I'll find an amg43 to test drive, But at least the regular sedan will give me an idea if I like the size of the car.

I may very well end up in a 2018 s class..but I'm sure that will feel like the same car I have now since not much as changes since 2016 model
Appreciate all the feedback guys,
If you want to drive the 43 AMG check your nearby dealerships. One of them in Orlando has to have one to try out. I know Maitland has a few of the new coupes on their lot last time I was there (about a week and a half ago).

Yeah, big body sedans are where it's at. I've always had a thing for them and yeah the space isn't needed but it's nice to have, you know, just in case. Makes it easier to pile friends in and what not.

There is quite a bit that has changed. It's only a refresh and not a completely new model but the steering wheel is different and has the touch pads on the steering wheel like the E class has. The infotainment system is similar to the new E class and the dual screen set up is similar too. I know they added new features and options to it but I cannot recall them right now. I like how they are adding the Stardust tail lights to the rear and the sport line for the S class has the same front fenders that the E has on its sport line.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
I like the size of the E (W213) over the S (W222). The ride on the W222 is noticeably better than my steel sprung W213. I have not tried the air suspension on the E but I hear it is sublime given it's lighter weight than the S.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Also, the quality in the w213 is much lower. factor that in as well. alot of plastics around. Just today the chrome plastic ring around the drivers door handle came off. I have less then 6k on the car in 8 months and I baby it.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by dbtk
I like the size of the E (W213) over the S (W222). The ride on the W222 is noticeably better than my steel sprung W213. I have not tried the air suspension on the E but I hear it is sublime given it's lighter weight than the S.

As far as ride, nothing is going to beat an S class, period. That's what the S class is all about! What sets the S from the rest is that not only is it supremely comfortable in the ride dimension, it does it while maintaining and amazing amount of handling poise and "dynamic" stability. If you add the magic carpet option the comfort is simply beyond reason. Those extra $$$$ are for something That's why the S starts in the 90's but the fact is that no one buys a bare bone S, most list 120 plus and if you really want you can easily drop 200K.
Yes its big and fat and more apt for riding in the back but that doesn't mean the chauffer shouldn't enjoy driving it too
Old 08-15-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Not true. Most of the same components in both cars. Trim levels vary, no MB Tex in S class.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)

Between my current W213 E400 (Australia) and the W222 S500L (Malaysia), I'd say that my E400 comes very close to the S-class, but then, I ticked every option box available for Australian-build E400s.

Air suspension (standard on Aussie W213s, E300 and above) goes a long way in replicating the ride quality of the S-class. Going with Exclusive Line (classic grille and more luxurious interior), as well as the Designo package (for nappa leather) and Active Comfort Package (where the highlight is the multi contour seats with massaging functions) brings it even closer to the S-class.

Of course, you don't get massaging seats in the rear, but at least in the front, it's practically almost right up there with the S-class.

Not sure whether these options are available in the US, but at least down under here, it's possible to make an E-class as close as possible to an S-class in everything except for the rear seat experience and physical size.

Why didn't I go for the E43? I just wanted ride comfort and luxury (hence Exclusive Line). Plus the E400 does feel smoother in power delivery, with torque being available lower down the rev range (1600rpm for the E400, 2500rpm for the E43).

Last edited by yjchua; 08-15-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by yjchua
Between my current W213 E400 (Australia) and the W222 S500L (Malaysia), I'd say that my E400 comes very close to the S-class, but then, I ticked every option box available for Australian-build E400s.

Air suspension (standard on Aussie W213s, E300 and above) goes a long way in replicating the ride quality of the S-class. Going with Exclusive Line (classic grille and more luxurious interior), as well as the Designo package (for nappa leather) and Active Comfort Package (where the highlight is the multi contour seats with massaging functions) brings it even closer to the S-class.

Of course, you don't get massaging seats in the rear, but at least in the front, it's practically almost right up there with the S-class.

Not sure whether these options are available in the US, but at least down under here, it's possible to make an E-class as close as possible to an S-class in everything except for the rear seat experience and physical size.

Why didn't I go for the E43? I just wanted ride comfort and luxury (hence Exclusive Line). Plus the E400 does feel smoother in power delivery, with torque being available lower down the rev range (1600rpm for the E400, 2500rpm for the E43).
Not to be mean but are you nuts? The 400 has smoother power delivery than the 43? I had a 400 engine and the power delivery is identical, it just happens that the 43 has 30 percent more power all across the powerband. Simple as that.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,947 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Then there are those of us who just don't care for AMG sedans. To me, when I buy something like a luxury sedan, I want it as smooth, quiet, refined and comfortable as possible. IMO, sedans with swoopy ground effects, overly aggressive looking body panels, spoilers, air dams, oversized wheels and low profile tires just scream out "boy racer." Slapping all this crap on their sedans and calling them AMG is a cash cow for MB, so I understand why they offer them. I just happen to think they are ridiculous, especially in a country where most speed limits top out at 65 mph. Oh well, I do remember as a kid, using clothes pins to hold playing cards against the spokes of my bicycle so it would sound racy. I guess some guys never get that out of their system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Currenr S class owner