E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anyone have a '17 or '18 E400 Wagon?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,389 Likes on 1,933 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Anyone have a '17 or '18 E400 Wagon?

I don't know that the '18's are out yet, but if anyone has a '17 E400 Wagon, How do you like it? Anything you don't like about it? Anything you would have ordered differently? I've never had one, don't need one, but find myself drawn to the design over and over, so I'm thinking of ordering one. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I don't know that the '18's are out yet, but if anyone has a '17 E400 Wagon, How do you like it? Anything you don't like about it? Anything you would have ordered differently? I've never had one, don't need one, but find myself drawn to the design over and over, so I'm thinking of ordering one. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I don't have the T-modell (wagon), but I drive the sedan version of the E400 4Matic myself.

Love it to bits (Exclusive line trim with the classic grille, every option taken). And love it much more than the E43. The E400 might have less power on paper, but the torque curve is more linear and kicks in at a lower rpm compared to the E43.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 PM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
I've had my W213S since July. I'm sure many have talked about the pro's and cons of the sedan, so I'll try to keep the comments to the wagon.

Styling - This is completely subjective, I prefer the looks of the wagon. I'm definitely not saying the sedan looks bad. But at least in the US, the wagon gets away from the three sausages different lengths styling philosophy. The horizontal taillights work very nicely to accentuate the width of the car. I have the AMG styling package with the 19" wheels. It's a sharp looking wagon.

Cargo capacity - I'm a cyclist and it fits my need for transporting road, cross and trail bikes inside the car. I use the 40/20/40 split folding seats often, allowing my son to ride in his car seat while transporting his and my bike. I've done a side-by-side comparison with a W212S, and the 48" w X 44 1/2 d" load floor of the W213S is larger.

Power - This will be rectified soon with the E400W, but the engine pairing with the 9G-Tronic is excellent. The M276 doesn't suffer from turbo lag, digs from low revs and is smooth in the upper reaches. The power is more than adequate for this type of vehicle. It's deceptively fast and I'm glad mine has a HUD.

Handling/ride - I'm pleasantly surprised. The wagon is heavier than the E300W but has great turn-in and good stability mid corner. Ride is S-Class smooth, although I despise the run-flat tires and hope they wear out soon. The additional weight (about 400 lbs vs E300W 4matic) gives a nice substantial feeling to the wagon like larger Benz's.

Packages/Options - I have a 2017 with P3. No regrets, it's quiet enough for me without the acoustic comfort package and rides well enough with just the rear air suspension. The massaging seats are awesome after a century bike ride. The Drive Pilot is incredibly useful. It will de-stress being stuck in a traffic jam. Only option I would have wanted from the '18's is the rear climate control.

Exclusivity - I live in Houston and do a daily commute into downtown. I've seen no other W213S's, although there are the occasional W211S and W212S. W123S's still bring a smile, since that is what compelled me into liking wagons. People really hate wagons in my town, my other car is a B9 Allroad, and I haven't seen any of those in the wild either.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Last edited by off; 09-30-2017 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tarsands (09-16-2018)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
I've got an 18 on order with AMG night package, P3, ventilated massage seats, 3 zone climate and a few other things. White on macchiato beige inside with open grain black wood.

I've tested everything in the class in the US and it just seems to be the best option. Only thing close is a Q7 and Audi leases have terrible rates.

I highly recommend it. Just a fantastic car.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 e63s
I have a '17 e400 that I picked up in July. Perfect road trip car. Quiet, comfortable, roomy, and surprisingly good fuel economy (30+mpg on the highway).

Mine has P2 with ventilated seats. The massage function is great and I use it daily. I test drove one with P3, but wasn't a fan of the automated driving tech.

Mine has the amg styling and it looks fine, if somewhat anonymous in selenite. I would have gotten the luxury styling if it had been available. I needed a car quickly and didn't have time to custom order.

The car has performed flawlessly so far. No regrets.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E Wagon, 1984 911, 2017 E wagon
Anyone have a 17 or 18 E 400 wagon

We own a triple black 2017 E 400 wagon with P3, and acoustic package. This is our third Mercedes wagon. We currently own a 2014 and previously owned a 2008.
We love the car. The fit and finish is better than the 2008 and 2014. We traded in a 2013 ML and the 2017 quality is much better.
Acoustic package makes the car a dream to ride in. You can hear very little outside noise.
Some people have complained about the ride quality of the new E and blame it on the tires. Our 2017 E wagon has 18 inch Goodyear run flats. Our 2014 has Michlein conventional Tires and was balanced and aligned when the tires were installed 10000 miles ago. The 2017 has a smoother ride than the 2014 wagon with conventional tires.
The fuel economy is much improved. We went on a 3000 mile road trip. At 70 -80 miles per hour we received 30-32 mpg. At 55-60 miles per hour we received 34-36 mpg. These numbers are from the car's computer. City mileage varies between 15 to 22 depending upon amount of traffic and hills.
The acceleration is improved. This is very true if in sport 2. Often when passing a car on a 2 lane in sport 2 the speed was 85 to 95 mph when returning to the right lane. Compared to the 2014 wagon the acceleration is much better.
The new radio contained in the P3 is much improved compared to the 2014.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes E400 wagon (formerly 1995 Honda Accord EX sedan)
We've driven our 2017 E400 wagon for about a little over a week in Germany and, after it crossed the ocean, about the like number of days in the western US, covering about 3000 miles of mostly highway driving, but also braving the narrow confines of many German parking garages.

I can't compare our car's engine to the smaller one in the E300 sedan, never having driven it, but the wagon's larger engine provides all the power one would want on the road. There is plenty of effortless acceleration for merging onto a freeway or passing on a two-lane road, and the cruise control is useful for making sure one doesn't unintentionally go too fast. We have most available options, and we've explored the distronic functions fairly extensively. While they may be geared more precisely to European road signs than to American ones, and we experienced the occasional sudden slowing of the car to 15 or 20 mph from highway speeds when the system was fooled as we passed a sign that applied not to us but to trucks, or to traffic merging onto the highway from another lane, for the most part the MB software functions as it should and usually recognizes the great variety of American signs correctly. The distronic system, when it is activated, does a good job of moving the car forward and stopping it in time in traffic jams, but it is wise to set the upper limit not too far above the slow speed at which you're travelling in a jam, lest the car speed up too rapidly when space opens up ahead only briefly, and then suddenly brake again. Certainly the driver must still be alert and on top of things.

Like Mr. Hood, who also replied to the question, we have Goodyear 18" run-flat tires. We have no complaints about the ride, which is pretty smooth, but I'll be interested to see how much smoother it is once we switch over for the winter to our four studded snow tires, which are not run-flat.

One surprising thing about the car, given its length, is its turning radius, which is fabulous. U-turns are a breeze, even in tight spaces. The screen is also terrific, and the camera shots on it very helpful for showing how close the car is to other cars and surrounding obstacles in tight quarters, such as an underground parking garage.

The headlights are excellent, and the ambient interior lighting is pleasing.

Seats are very comfortable and the massage function, which offers a good variety of options, is welcome after driving for hours.

The rear cargo area in the back of the wagon is huge, and we've also been pleasantly surprised by how much room there is in the back seat.

Despite the size of the car, we often got more than 30 miles to the US gallon in mostly highway driving--sometimes as high as 34 miles for the day, though steady driving over 65 mph would reduce that a bit. On days when we had more city driving, much faster freeway driving, or mountainous country, we still got 26 to 29 miles to the US gallon, which was a pleasant surprise.

I agree with posters on this forum who rue the propensity of the passenger doors to close without warning when the car is parked on a hill. One must be careful to avoid bruised limbs. This is a fault and a bother.

Coming from a car more than twenty years old, we still have a lot of the tech to get used to, but for the most part it is intuitive or can be figured out fairly readily.

In sum, I tend to agree with reviewers who argue that the wagon is the most appealing version of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Forty9:
off (10-07-2017), tarsands (09-16-2018)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, Hyperion, if I was to get one, it would look like this.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Haha, thanx , and also, nice write up 49, enjoyed reading it.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Well, Hyperion, if I was to get one, it would look like this.
Give me this body and the 2018 tech and I'd be happy!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Would I be correct in assuming that the E Wagon does not come with a spare wheel/tire and/or a jack? And, if it does not, is there ROOM to stow a compact spare, should you wish to get one?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Would I be correct in assuming that the E Wagon does not come with a spare wheel/tire and/or a jack? And, if it does not, is there ROOM to stow a compact spare, should you wish to get one?
You are right to assume that the E400 wagon is delivered with no spare wheel, tire, jack, or wrench. By provisioning ourselves as we prepare to make the 2400-mile trip home through Canada from the little states with four new studded, non-run flat, Hakkapeliitta 9 snow tires on matching OEM rims, we have in effect four spare tires, which should be more than enough, but at the expense of any space in the second row of seats. We will also be packing a compact low-slung jack, a telescoping lug wrench, a tire pressure gauge, and a small portable air pump (along with a portable shovel, sand, ice melt, etc., in case of wintry conditions). There is room in the car to stash smaller accessories in mesh pockets or perhaps (if need be) under the front seats. I haven't investigated space under the jump seat by the tailgate thoroughly, but there is no room there, or anywhere else except loose in back with that seat folded down, big enough for even a portable spare or the jack, unless you took out the seat (and maybe not even then for the spare). The car is too low-slung to stash a spare tire underneath, as on SUVs, nor do we want to attach a box on the roof to carry it. Possible means for securing those items in back so they don't roll around are provided, a workable but not an elegant solution. We switch tires from summer to winter twice a year, so we'll pack one unused tire as a spare, with the other accessories, when we go out of town, since road service in the far north is often far away. We've done the same thing for years with my wife's minivan. While not an ideal remedy for the designers' omission, that shouldn't deter you from getting the car.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Forty9
You are right to assume that the E400 wagon is delivered with no spare wheel, tire, jack, or wrench. By provisioning ourselves as we prepare to make the 2400-mile trip home through Canada from the little states with four new studded, non-run flat, Hakkapeliitta 9 snow tires on matching OEM rims, we have in effect four spare tires, which should be more than enough, but at the expense of any space in the second row of seats. We will also be packing a compact low-slung jack, a telescoping lug wrench, a tire pressure gauge, and a small portable air pump (along with a portable shovel, sand, ice melt, etc., in case of wintry conditions). There is room in the car to stash smaller accessories in mesh pockets or perhaps (if need be) under the front seats. I haven't investigated space under the jump seat by the tailgate thoroughly, but there is no room there, or anywhere else except loose in back with that seat folded down, big enough for even a portable spare or the jack, unless you took out the seat (and maybe not even then for the spare). The car is too low-slung to stash a spare tire underneath, as on SUVs, nor do we want to attach a box on the roof to carry it. Possible means for securing those items in back so they don't roll around are provided, a workable but not an elegant solution. We switch tires from summer to winter twice a year, so we'll pack one unused tire as a spare, with the other accessories, when we go out of town, since road service in the far north is often far away. We've done the same thing for years with my wife's minivan. While not an ideal remedy for the designers' omission, that shouldn't deter you from getting the car.
The worst part about this, is not the lack of a spare, but the fact that MB PURPOSELY did not leave even a frigging SPACE in which to put one, should an owner want to provide their own. MB is playing games with us, trying to ween us off conventional tires and having a jack & a spare and I HATE IT! In the trunk of my S550 sedan, there is a compact spare sitting on TOP of the trunk floor. It takes up a lot of space, but provides great peace of mind when driving outside of metro areas. Unfortunately, in the E400 Wagon, there is no trunk in which you can hide a spare, it’s right there in the cabin with you, rubber odor and all. MB should be ashamed of themselves and whomever at MB is responsible for this idiotic decision, that has inconvenienced so many people, should be fired. In a country like the USA, there are literally hundreds of thousands-if not millions of miles of roads that are VERY far from the nearest tow truck, let alone an MB service vehicle or MB dealer. In the USA, a spare makes all the sense in the world.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Unfortunately, in the E400 Wagon, there is no trunk in which you can hide a spare, it’s right there in the cabin with you, rubber odor and all. MB should be ashamed of themselves and whomever at MB is responsible for this idiotic decision, that has inconvenienced so many people, should be fired. In a country like the USA, there are literally hundreds of thousands-if not millions of miles of roads that are VERY far from the nearest tow truck, let alone an MB service vehicle or MB dealer. In the USA, a spare makes all the sense in the world.
The W213wagon has a space under the cargo floor, but I'm not quiet sure whether a compact spare would fit there. In any case, there is a metal brace bolted into that space facing front to rear which you would have to unbolt to get to the space below it, assuming you don't want to just remove it (it's likely for impact protection purposes). The better fit would probably be a collapsing spare that you have to inflate to use. That would likely fit but you have to figure out which one and make sure it isn't too old if you buy a "used" one on Ebay.

We're about to get an E400 wagon, white with beige leather also, but with the sport package (not the AMG styling package, which always comes with a black headliner rather than beige).
Old 10-10-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E S213
I ordered the S213 but with the E220D which makes more sense here in Europe. And since it´s got the SCR Cat, 95% of the NOx is gone.
And it has a fuel average of 56 m/g. Very nice engine, and very quiet actually.
I currently have an Audi A6 3,0 Quattro, wagon also. I always found the wagons better looking than sedans. And a wagon makes more sense than the SUV.
They carry as much and use much less fuel. And I also finde the E class better looking as a wagon, seems more stretched.
I ordered mine black with Comand, Headup, Drive Pilot, Multi Contour seats, Keyless go comfort, Acoustic Comfort Package, wireless phone charging, Burmester surround etc., Macchiato beige inside with open grain black wood and 19" multispoke.
But the delivery is in one month, long time :-/
Old 10-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Long Islander
We're about to get an E400 wagon, white with beige leather also, but with the sport package (not the AMG styling package, which always comes with a black headliner rather than beige).
This week, we ordered an E400 in polar white with beige leather interior and beige headliner, sport exterior (non-AMG) with 5 wide-blade 18" wheels, Acoustic Comfort Pkg, Premium Pkg1, chrome door handle inserts, household power outlet, heated steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, hi-beam assist, brown ash natural grain wood and console wood, rr side airbags (list price $72,200).

Build date is supposedly November 30.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
72K for a v6...............fawk..........
Old 10-13-2017, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
If they sold the 43 model here in the states I would buy it in a heartbeat. The 400 model is only a few K cheaper when similarly equipped so the only reason to buy a 400 is for a plusher ride.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by jamesmhood
We own a triple black 2017 E 400 wagon with P3, and acoustic package. This is our third Mercedes wagon. We currently own a 2014 and previously owned a 2008.
We love the car. The fit and finish is better than the 2008 and 2014. We traded in a 2013 ML and the 2017 quality is much better.
Acoustic package makes the car a dream to ride in. You can hear very little outside noise.
Some people have complained about the ride quality of the new E and blame it on the tires. Our 2017 E wagon has 18 inch Goodyear run flats. Our 2014 has Michlein conventional Tires and was balanced and aligned when the tires were installed 10000 miles ago. The 2017 has a smoother ride than the 2014 wagon with conventional tires.
The fuel economy is much improved. We went on a 3000 mile road trip. At 70 -80 miles per hour we received 30-32 mpg. At 55-60 miles per hour we received 34-36 mpg. These numbers are from the car's computer. City mileage varies between 15 to 22 depending upon amount of traffic and hills.
The acceleration is improved. This is very true if in sport 2. Often when passing a car on a 2 lane in sport 2 the speed was 85 to 95 mph when returning to the right lane. Compared to the 2014 wagon the acceleration is much better.
The new radio contained in the P3 is much improved compared to the 2014.
This is review is very helpful as I find myself in the situation of replacing my 2014 E350 wagon with the new one. My 2014 has the sport wheels (5 spoke) and I love it to bits. A great cruiser for road trips but excellent around town as well soaking up bumps and imperfections, while my C43 is a disaster in that regard. I drove a new E400 wagon and my dealer gave it to me overnight. It is just as comfortable, and it had the 18s on. The engine is much, much improved especially in sound and performance. Love the tranny as well. My only concern is going to the 19s, 5 spoke wheels as I find that while the 18s ride amazing, they look on the small side. Do you have the 19s?

My finalists to replace my wagon is n E400W, XC90, Q7 or Cayenne. I had a rental Durango that somehow I enjoyed more than I thought I ever would. Wife won't have it, but I still kinda like it!
Old 11-14-2017, 05:25 PM

I would echo Mr. Hood's assurance that the Goodyear run-flat tires on our 2017 E400 wagon provide a smooth and secure ride, as do latterly our four Nokian Hakkepeliita 9 studded snow tires (which are not run-flats) mounted on a matching set of OEM wheels for winter driving. We too have 18-inch tires, having been advised that larger tires would offer a rougher ride, among other problems they might pose.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I would echo Mr. Hood's assurance that the Goodyear run-flat tires on our 2017 E400 wagon provide a smooth and secure ride, as do latterly our four Nokian Hakkepeliita 9 studded snow tires (which are not run-flats) mounted on a matching set of OEM wheels for winter driving. We too have 18-inch tires, having been advised that larger tires would offer a rougher ride, among other problems they might pose.
I see in your build you have the 5 spoke wheels, if I go with 18s that will be the rim, as I had the other rim on my demo wagon, a more plain rim. I will try and setup a test drive with a car that has the 19s 5 star rim. Do you have the rgular suspension or the upgraded shocks? I need to know which shocks to go with, but the one I had was the regular setup and it was sublime
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by off
I've had my W213S since July. I'm sure many have talked about the pro's and cons of the sedan, so I'll try to keep the comments to the wagon.

Styling - This is completely subjective, I prefer the looks of the wagon. I'm definitely not saying the sedan looks bad. But at least in the US, the wagon gets away from the three sausages different lengths styling philosophy. The horizontal taillights work very nicely to accentuate the width of the car. I have the AMG styling package with the 19" wheels. It's a sharp looking wagon.

Cargo capacity - I'm a cyclist and it fits my need for transporting road, cross and trail bikes inside the car. I use the 40/20/40 split folding seats often, allowing my son to ride in his car seat while transporting his and my bike. I've done a side-by-side comparison with a W212S, and the 48" w X 44 1/2 d" load floor of the W213S is larger.

Power - This will be rectified soon with the E400W, but the engine pairing with the 9G-Tronic is excellent. The M276 doesn't suffer from turbo lag, digs from low revs and is smooth in the upper reaches. The power is more than adequate for this type of vehicle. It's deceptively fast and I'm glad mine has a HUD.

Handling/ride - I'm pleasantly surprised. The wagon is heavier than the E300W but has great turn-in and good stability mid corner. Ride is S-Class smooth, although I despise the run-flat tires and hope they wear out soon. The additional weight (about 400 lbs vs E300W 4matic) gives a nice substantial feeling to the wagon like larger Benz's.

Packages/Options - I have a 2017 with P3. No regrets, it's quiet enough for me without the acoustic comfort package and rides well enough with just the rear air suspension. The massaging seats are awesome after a century bike ride. The Drive Pilot is incredibly useful. It will de-stress being stuck in a traffic jam. Only option I would have wanted from the '18's is the rear climate control.

Exclusivity - I live in Houston and do a daily commute into downtown. I've seen no other W213S's, although there are the occasional W211S and W212S. W123S's still bring a smile, since that is what compelled me into liking wagons. People really hate wagons in my town, my other car is a B9 Allroad, and I haven't seen any of those in the wild either.

Hopefully this is helpful.
This is helpful! Did you take out a car with the 18s, and wonder if you felt a major difference or not with regards to ride quality?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by coladin
I see in your build you have the 5 spoke wheels, if I go with 18s that will be the rim, as I had the other rim on my demo wagon, a more plain rim. I will try and setup a test drive with a car that has the 19s 5 star rim. Do you have the rgular suspension or the upgraded shocks? I need to know which shocks to go with, but the one I had was the regular setup and it was sublime
We do have the air body control. I haven't compared the same vehicle without it.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
We do have the air body control. I haven't compared the same vehicle without it.
my own e400 wagon arrives on Monday and I got it without the air body control. I drove a loaded p3 2017 hell bent for leather on a private mountain road and found that without the air suspension it was still fantastic. The 18” wheels are perfect with the Goodyear run flats and have surprisingly good turn in and holding ability. You really can toss it around and motor hard out of a turn (though as always, be safe).

if you want to run on 20’s however you will need the air suspension. Anything larger than 18” with run flats will be quite unpleasant without it as it will crash over potholes and feel unsettled.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a '17 or '18 E400 Wagon?