E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Car vibrating when breaking at speeds over 100km

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
it has nothing to do with discs wearing out. it's a design fault, but what's causing it remains a mystery.
my discs were changed 4 times, 2 times the problem came back immediately.
i have service coming up and insisted that they change (again) under warranty, but they refuse

Last edited by Egonvdv; 01-13-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
it has nothing to do with discs wearing out. it's a design fault, but what' causing it remains a mystery.
my discs were changed 4 times, 2 times the problem came back immediately.
i have service coming up and insisted that they changer under warranty, but they refuse
We cannot rule out that this doesn't work. It could or could not but from my experience, it did. I run a high end customization workshop and most of my clients who have experienced this with various makes and models have had this problem solved just by machining their discs.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A last update:

after my last service, my dealer contacted mercedes again, but all they replied was to check (/parts of) the brakes and wheels
and if that doesn't help, change the discs.. again.

Mind you, they didn't say who would pay for the disc, but i fear it would be me, since i'm out of warranty.

Mercedes does not offer any kind of lasting solution, because it seems they themselves don't even know what causes it.

That is pretty scandalous for a 65k euro car!

However i've decided to give up, as my lease runs out in 7 months, so it's not worth the hassle anymore.

One thing that i've learned from this (and numerous other problems) is that the mercedes customer service
sucks the big one and borders on arrogance and disdain.

"the best or nothing" … I'm not sure how to reply to that anymore ...

Last edited by Egonvdv; 02-17-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Just thinking. For many years we would just “turn” the discs lightly then apply a non-directional finish if any braking pulsating. If pads looked decent I never had any changed and when changed making sure the replacement pad material was the same composition as OEM.
just as a comment I sold couple years ago a Lexus that I had turned the drums probably 4 times as above and didn’t purchase new drums in 268,000 miles. I recently saw the person who bought the car and he said at 285,000 miles brakes are smooth.
I do recall years ago a trip that had twisting roads and grades and that spirited drive did cause a warp of that Lexus discs that I attributed to heating of discs.
Robert
Old 03-30-2020, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W213 E220D RHD
Hi everyone,
I have a w213 E220D mercedes 2017 registration.
at 6000Km started having vibrations at 50km when braking softly, problem which got worse very quickly.
I took it in since the car was only 14 months old and had the disks changed. They charged me 50% as a good will.
since then I had to change the front disks and pads, for the same problem, 5 times, 2 of which (including the first one) I had to pay the 50%.
The local Mercedes agent was always in contact with the manufacturers and they carried out every conceivable checks on the car. They insist that there is nothing wrong with the car and they keep changing the disks and pads.
Some other mechanics claim that is the construction of the disks which is to be blamed ( 2 Component construction and the pressure connection between the 2 components).
Finally on the last visit the local agent told me that he received a reply from the technical department of Mercedes in Germany that they did what they could do on the car without success and that they as sorry but they cannot offer me a permanent solution.
I consider this as a disgrace coming from a reputable manufacturer and for a car that costs so much.
I think that they cannot just say they cannot offer a permanent solution and just get away with it. The problem started well within the warranty period, continued for 2 years now and they cannot deny that.
Other than that the car is very good and unless I manage to sort this problem the car worths nothing since no one will touch on it.
ANY IDEAS???
Old 03-30-2020, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there is no permanent solution for this.
Mercedes is full aware of the problem, but does not seems to know where the problem comes from
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 AM

W213 E220D RHD
That is exactly the case. I have it in writing from them that they did everything they could without success, and there is nothing they can do further. Even after paying for the last change of disks 3 months ago when I took it back asking to honour their 2 year warranty on genuine spareparts, the manufacturer declined and said I have to fully pay them AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Originally Posted by Costas58
That is exactly the case. I have it in writing from them that they did everything they could without success, and there is nothing they can do further. Even after paying for the last change of disks 3 months ago when I took it back asking to honour their 2 year warranty on genuine spareparts, the manufacturer declined and said I have to fully pay them AGAIN.
does the car have the cruise control system that paces traffic with brakes and do you use it? Is the car an AMG series with cross drilled rotors? Lastly is most of your driving in hills?
Robert
Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
This car has now been "breaking" for more than two years ... I wonder what's left of it ... ;-)
Old 06-08-2020, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes France (or Europe as their callcenter is centralised in the Netherlands) told me today that Mercedes is aware of the problem and are developing a disc of better quality ....

will I put money on this ? - no sir I won’t !
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 AM

W213 E220D RHD
Originally Posted by robert c
does the car have the cruise control system that paces traffic with brakes and do you use it? Is the car an AMG series with cross drilled rotors? Lastly is most of your driving in hills?
Robert
the car has cruse control but not the distronic and I don’t usually use it a lot. Yes the car is AMG line with cross drilled rotors and no very rarely drive in hills.
i have changed the rotors to Brembo but after 1800km the problem returned many not so bad as with the originals but still very annoying