E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Map and software updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
E300
Map and software updates

I took delivery of a 2017 E300 in December 2016. I'm about to go in for the 12 month service. Since Mercedes advertises "free" navigation map updates for three years, I asked the dealer and they said they knew of no available updates. I called Mercedes customer service and got no helpful information. They said I'd get a letter in the mail if a map update is available. You'd think they could give you the version number of the latest maps or use your VIN to see if an update is available but both said they could not do these things. Is the three year free map thing just a misleading way to help sell cars? You'd think that there would at least be annual updates.

I also asked whether any software updates were available for systems besides the maps. They seemed clueless about this too. The dealer said they have no way to determine this information None of this information makes sense to me in the age of computers. Would appreciate any advice/input.
The following users liked this post:
BokkiLee (08-05-2023)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Yes, the free 3 year map update is real. Just had mine updated this past August. Received a notice from the dealership of a newer map version being available.

As for other software updates, it seems there is no central customer database we can access to determine if newer software is available for either the ECU or COMMAND. MB only updates other software if a problem is reported by the customer per my SA. Yes, I agree that is probably somewhat outdated in this day and age, but my understanding is that dealerships aren't compensated from corporate to simply install newer software upon customer demand. So newer software only gets downloaded, if it is associated with a reported problem with the vehicle. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
This was something I wanted to ask the dealer as well when I brought it in for its first visit. However, I forgot to in the haste of it all. When I got the car back, I noticed that the map data had indeed been updated, unless I have gone crazy. We have this famous bridge in San Francisco which was rebuilt about two years back. The new bridge was built to the side of the old one. Every time I crossed the bridge before my car went in for service, it would show I was driving in the water. Now, it doesnt do that anymore. However, when I got into the map data info, it still shows 2016...

There was of course no mention of this on the service receipt, nor do I think the dealership would really do it out of their good will.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Asked my dealer for a update again, they said the map data has to be special ordered from Germany???!?!?! You cant just download it online on to your own computers and upload it to the car???? Nothing makes sense with Mercedes, this is the second dealership that has given me the run around for a year and a half asking for a map update. A Tesla has been able to get updates since 2012 and here we are 2018 and our cars cant even get a simple map update. Shame of a car company.
my cars nav software is V1.4 I believe and the latest one ive seen is V7.0
Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mbracer26
Asked my dealer for a update again, they said the map data has to be special ordered from Germany???!?!?! You cant just download it online on to your own computers and upload it to the car???? Nothing makes sense with Mercedes, this is the second dealership that has given me the run around for a year and a half asking for a map update. A Tesla has been able to get updates since 2012 and here we are 2018 and our cars cant even get a simple map update. Shame of a car company.
Just as an FYI, the process to update the maps takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours when done at the dealership. That is how long the SA quoted me beforehand and that is how long it actually took. As I watched them do the update process. If, for whatever reason, the update process should freeze or encounter a problem along the way, the whole update process must be started over. At least that is what the service tech that did my vehicle told me at the time. If this is being done via the free maps update offer from MB, then the dealerships hate doing this. It is tying up one of their service bays and taking up a service tech's time for something they make little to no money doing. They will do it. because MB corporate made the commitment but that is about it. If you didn't get the free 3 year MB maps offer when you leased or bought your vehicle, then yes the dealership will want to charge you for this service (the special order from Germany response).

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could simply download any and all updates over the air via the vehicle's internet. However, given the amount of time this process took with a direct, high-speed connection to the vehicle's Command system, trying to do it over the much slower Internet connection we have in our cars would take substantially longer. Also, given the process must be done uninterrupted for the entire time, you either have to put the car on a battery tender or have it running. Supposedly the map updates can be purchased from MB in CD form, but I don't personally know of anyone who owns a MB that has gone that route.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
It's nonsense. Don't ask, just makes an appointment for it. All dealers have the software. It is also free (MY15 and newer)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Just as an FYI, the process to update the maps takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours when done at the dealership. That is how long the SA quoted me beforehand and that is how long it actually took. As I watched them do the update process. If, for whatever reason, the update process should freeze or encounter a problem along the way, the whole update process must be started over. At least that is what the service tech that did my vehicle told me at the time. If this is being done via the free maps update offer from MB, then the dealerships hate doing this. It is tying up one of their service bays and taking up a service tech's time for something they make little to no money doing. They will do it. because MB corporate made the commitment but that is about it. If you didn't get the free 3 year MB maps offer when you leased or bought your vehicle, then yes the dealership will want to charge you for this service (the special order from Germany response).

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could simply download any and all updates over the air via the vehicle's internet. However, given the amount of time this process took with a direct, high-speed connection to the vehicle's Command system, trying to do it over the much slower Internet connection we have in our cars would take substantially longer. Also, given the process must be done uninterrupted for the entire time, you either have to put the car on a battery tender or have it running. Supposedly the map updates can be purchased from MB in CD form, but I don't personally know of anyone who owns a MB that has gone that route.
So how DO they do NAV upgrades now that discs are no longer available? USB flash drive could replace the discs and be made available to owners any number of ways. However, I'm sure the dealership does get paid to do this, even if at factory warranty labor rate rather than "customer pay" rate.

I used discs (2) to update the NAV system in a previous W212, and it did take a couple hours, and it did require uninterrupted transfer. Honestly, it's kind of a pain in the butt. My ML350 was updated while in for service, but I didn't hang out to see how it was done. Personally, I welcome the dealer doing it while I have the car there for other service. The earthquake-damaged Bay Bridge notwithstanding, roads don't change all that often. It's all the other information that must be kept current.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
here in France we can download the updates via the Mercedes me website.
you just stick the downloads on a card and insert in car. we get updates abt once every 4-6 months
Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Cao Black
So how DO they do NAV upgrades now that discs are no longer available? USB flash drive could replace the discs and be made available to owners any number of ways. However, I'm sure the dealership does get paid to do this, even if at factory warranty labor rate rather than "customer pay" rate.

I used discs (2) to update the NAV system in a previous W212, and it did take a couple hours, and it did require uninterrupted transfer. Honestly, it's kind of a pain in the butt. My ML350 was updated while in for service, but I didn't hang out to see how it was done. Personally, I welcome the dealer doing it while I have the car there for other service. The earthquake-damaged Bay Bridge notwithstanding, roads don't change all that often. It's all the other information that must be kept current.
The dealership just plugs the vehicle into their computer system and downloads the updates. Nothing fancy. Yes I'm sure they could do it via USB as well, now that CD's have been phased out for customers that want to do it on their own. There is nothing special about the medium. Any electronic medium compatible with the particular vehicle will do. I hung around to watch the process simply because I wanted to see what THEY did in-house to do this procedure. They did offer me a loaner car, if I wanted to just drop my vehicle off and come back a few hours later.

I do have to agree with OP that all car companies, not just MB, are w-a-y behind the times when it comes to being able to update / enhance their vehicles electronic systems from a technological perspective. I suspect it has to do with a combination of their concerns over safety / company liability of delivering any sort of update, even just maps, remotely over the air and the cost of providing a better Internet service into their vehicles, so it can be done much faster. A lot of people point to Tesla, but that is essentially a niche manufacturer that is using its customers to beta test their products. Which most seem willing to do. Much different corporate mindset from the rest of the auto industry, that is focused on potential liability issues and controlling costs to maximize profit margins. Unlike Tesla, which has yet to turn a profit. So there is that issue to overcome as well. Plus offering minor changes or new features to the electronics systems in a car is how MB and every other vehicle manufacturer drives sales.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by PaulE550
The dealership just plugs the vehicle into their computer system and downloads the updates. Nothing fancy. Yes I'm sure they could do it via USB as well, now that CD's have been phased out for customers that want to do it on their own. There is nothing special about the medium. Any electronic medium compatible with the particular vehicle will do. I hung around to watch the process simply because I wanted to see what THEY did in-house to do this procedure. They did offer me a loaner car, if I wanted to just drop my vehicle off and come back a few hours later.

I do have to agree with OP that all car companies, not just MB, are w-a-y behind the times when it comes to being able to update / enhance their vehicles electronic systems from a technological perspective. I suspect it has to do with a combination of their concerns over safety / company liability of delivering any sort of update, even just maps, remotely over the air and the cost of providing a better Internet service into their vehicles, so it can be done much faster. A lot of people point to Tesla, but that is essentially a niche manufacturer that is using its customers to beta test their products. Which most seem willing to do. Much different corporate mindset from the rest of the auto industry, that is focused on potential liability issues and controlling costs to maximize profit margins. Unlike Tesla, which has yet to turn a profit. So there is that issue to overcome as well. Plus offering minor changes or new features to the electronics systems in a car is how MB and every other vehicle manufacturer drives sales.
for my 16 Audi A6, I just download from their site on to an SD card and install from that in the car. I also have the option of downloading directly to the car if I initiate it from the car. I just figured it would take too long.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Today I was told that it comes on a CD and it takes two weeks or so for it to arrive. I asked and pushed if its a thumb drive, a memory card and it was assured it was a CD.
I dont even care anymore, as I use google maps for all my needs. I just wanted a update as its advertised.
BokkiLee (08-05-2023)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
Our cars don't even have a CD slot lol
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
How do you check what version NAV you have and whats current?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Put the car to the shop today and asked for the Comand and Maps to be updated to latest versions, Just got a call to say it's taking longer than expected and they need to keep the car overnight! It will be nice if the maps show the new roads I drive on, but I didn't expect it to be a major thing.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
One might think that a dealer thinking "outside-the-box" would offer to d-load to USB stick updates for any owner entitled to them (all owners since 2015 with the "free" 3-year promise), and let the owner run the update at their convenience. Mere minutes for the dealer to copy to USB, instead of technician hours tied to the computer and a car stuck in a repair bay that other techs can't use.

Not to mention customer focus on allowing them to run the update at their convenience. What a novel thought?

Have someone (could be a person in the sales office) type up the procedure, and print out the cheat sheet, minimal time to copy the data to USB, and you're done. Put a fork in it, for god's sake. Sure beats creating ill-will among people who have choices on what cars they buy.

Hell, I'll even provide my own USB stick to whatever spec the update requires. And in return for the convenience, I will find a way to provide constant power to the car to run the update in my own garage, thank you very much...

Are there any dealer techs or managers reading this? Please?

Last edited by DFWdude; 06-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
That's why I support Tesla for disrupting these old guard companies. Tesla has proven you can download software updates without going to the dealer. Mercedes will only update your software if there is a problem- in today's world that is total BS.
Turbocharged (11-19-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400s4
Maximum profit is MB main objective, customer care is way down their list of important issues.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by 2020
That's why I support Tesla for disrupting these old guard companies. Tesla has proven you can download software updates without going to the dealer. Mercedes will only update your software if there is a problem- in today's world that is total BS.
If you have a 2015 or newer MB, Mercedes Benz will update the Map data because you have a 3-year commitment -- contract -- that says they will. Finding a problem is not material...
Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
My car downloaded the updated maps automatically over the cars LTE-connection..
Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Nav update

I just completed my service A and my dealer did my NAV update
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by 78degrees
something that my car should do for France maps but never does...
Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Are you located in the states? if so, can you post the pic of the version number?

Thank you
Old 06-15-2018, 06:26 PM

2018 E63S
Are you located in the states? if so, can you post the pic of the version number?

Thank you
Nope, I'm located on Svalbard (next to the north pole), about 900km from mainland Norway. My car is currently on the main land but the map was updated before I sent it down to the mainland.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM

Nope, I'm located on Svalbard (next to the north pole), about 900km from mainland Norway. My car is currently on the main land but the map was updated before I sent it down to the mainland.
oh wow, was your e-class the only benz in svalbard?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:08 AM

2018 E63S
There are some old ML55 AMGs and a CLS 500 Shooting Brake, a CLK, a couple 210s, 203 and some cars from the 80s.

My car will of course come back here again, I will just take it for a spin down to Germany and some other countries in july. I'm allowed to use it on the main land for three months every year without paying taxes (we don't have taxes other than 16,2% income tax on Svalbard)
My car would cost approx 2,2 millions NOK (USD 270476) on the mainland where half of the price would be taxes..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Map and software updates