E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anyone with E-Class quality issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport, 2017 E300 Sport
Anyone with E-Class quality issues?

Hello everyone, I have a US ‘17 E300 sport P1 with a little under 20K Mi on it. Bought it brand new, extended warranty, all the good stuff. Over the past few months I’ve noticed some small issues regarding quality control in the car.

The first and probably most annoying problem is that the steering wheel will not move up or down anymore. The telescoping function still works, however the wheel itself is at its upmost position. I suspect that it might have failed because of the easy entry function the wheel itself has when you open/close the driver door.

Second issue and honestly isn’t really bothersum at all is that the passenger sunshade has a broken hing on the flap that covers the mirror. Again, NOT really an issue but nonetheless, you’d think that this wouldn’t happen.
Third issue is that one of the rear speakers on the door has a crackling issue when playing high quality sound, particularly from a USB or CarPlay source. It isn’t that noticeable when listening to satellite or FM radio. I have the burmester speaker package.

Waiting until next week for the dealer to pick up the car and drop off a loaner to fix these issues and perform a B service on the car.

Anyone else having quality control issues?

Last edited by MBTX27; 12-23-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Originally Posted by haielhaifa27

Anyone else having quality control issues?
Quite a few early cars have had quality issues. Mine was an April 2016 car so has had a string of issues. Nothing reliability wise, just constant annoying niggles.

Steering column - software change apparently makes the column move to up stop more gently. Mine froze. Software done. Still stuck. Column replaced. Sticks every third drive now. Will get worse. This is what bugs me the most about Mercedes, that the fixes don't fix them.

Centre speaker rattle was cured on third visit. They've never cured the door, centre console and something in the back creaking.

Creaking driver's seat took 4 visits (one to diagnose, one to fit plastic replacement panel, one to diagnose again, final one to replace seat frame). 4k miles later and it's creaking again.

Side rear door window trim lifting up. Multiple visits, eventually replaced with new strip. Still rising! Saw there is a tape fix for it now.

Headlights went wrong (multibeam). New headlight control unit fitted.

Outside door handle and puddle lights rarely worked or came on when you LOCKED the car. Wow, useful! They fixed it, not sure how.

COMAND became crazy sluggish. Softwares update made it bearable.

Front brake rotors run out is out of tolerance. Merc want me to pay 50% costs though it's a seemingly common issue with drive pilot cars. Under discussion.

High negative camber destroyed inside edge of from tyres but car is in spec. Meaning to my mind the spec is wrong!

19 inch run flats with the lowered suspension (AMG line). Ride quality deteriorated after about 15000 miles to the point it feels highly unable on even slightly rough roads. Back end skips out way to much. Dealer says normal. Again, my view is the spec/normal is wrong.

Not a particularly long list but it's more then my previous cars combined. And the number of dealer trips to cure it is insane.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
High negative camber destroyed inside edge of from tyres but car is in spec. Meaning to my mind the spec is wrong!
That's been a common problem since the W211. Evidently MB designed them to run 100+ MPH on the autobahn so if you don't hit those kinds of speeds, the insides wear out. They really need to be rotated to reduce wear but there's not much you can do about it besides drive faster as those settings usually aren't adjustable.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
That's been a common problem since the W211. Evidently MB designed them to run 100+ MPH on the autobahn so if you don't hit those kinds of speeds, the insides wear out. They really need to be rotated to reduce wear but there's not much you can do about it besides drive faster as those settings usually aren't adjustable.
even if within alignment specs. you can have the alignment adjusted to offset this and still be in spec.

Personally I would just increase the tire pressure a bit (3-4 psi). We have done that one the rears for the SL and the fronts in the S-class.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 AM

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning, just noticed that the home button on the touch pad is no longer working.
Personally I love the car, but I guess its always the first model year of a new generation vehicle thats the "beta" vehicle lol.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
I have had fewer issues than I expected. A persistent creak from the driver's side mirror that only happens when I open and close the door - dealer "could not reproduce." A popping feeling when I shift in the driver's seat - "dealer could not reproduce" And rattles from the speaker grills at high volume - "system working as designed."

The above issues are annoying, but I am feeling lucky, considering some have had worse issues.

It is a great car, but Mercedes overpromises with "the best or nothing..." I think it's "really good and probably better than most cars or nothing..."
Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Lanzz
I have had fewer issues than I expected. A persistent creak from the driver's side mirror that only happens when I open and close the door - dealer "could not reproduce." A popping feeling when I shift in the driver's seat - "dealer could not reproduce" And rattles from the speaker grills at high volume - "system working as designed."

The above issues are annoying, but I am feeling lucky, considering some have had worse issues.

It is a great car, but Mercedes overpromises with "the best or nothing..." I think it's "really good and probably better than most cars or nothing..."

Had this seat popping in my S205, I personally replaced the entire undercarriage of the seat, very expensive and timeconsuming, as I reassembled the seat I noticed that the sound was coming from a plastic clamp holding the upholstery fixed to the spring bars under the seat.
Fixed it using cableties and the sound was gone to my releif.

Now the same sound and feel has arisen on my S213, *sigh*
The following 2 users liked this post by vic viper:
Grey.Coupe (01-31-2018), Lanzz (01-04-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM

Forgot to let yall know what happened but I took the car to the dealer and they performed a software update to address my steering wheel adjustment problem. I also had a problem with carplay not displaying on the screen (blank screen after ANY iphone was connected), software update fixed the problem. They also replaced the sun visor under warranty.

However the service manager did NOT address the recalls nor updated the navigation maps for me. He didnt even call me not once while the car was at the dealer. I found it stange, especially since I had a loaner C300 coupe for about a week. Last time I deal with that specific dealer.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
And rattles from the speaker grills at high volume - "system working as designed."
you mean a real rattle or more a vibration like the speaker cone has torn ?
cos that's what I hear in the right front door and left rear (mainly when on phone)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
Egonvdv , it is right front and left rear - just as you described. It sounds like the speaker grill or some internal part vibrating - happens with music that contains heavy bass (Beyonce Lemonade album, for example... don't ask, lol) Also happens in certain phone conversations. So - I am sure it is the same symptom. My dealer apparently did some "programmatic" test a deemed it normal, but it's not normal to me.
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
damn and all this time I thought I had blown the tweeters!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Egonvdv , it is right front and left rear - just as you described. It sounds like the speaker grill or some internal part vibrating - happens with music that contains heavy bass (Beyonce Lemonade album, for example... don't ask, lol) Also happens in certain phone conversations. So - I am sure it is the same symptom. My dealer apparently did some "programmatic" test a deemed it normal, but it's not normal to me.
I had this issue with the drivers door speaker rattle, the dealer changed the speaker and a part next to the speaker was also rattling. rear passenger door was also rattling according to dealer as well. you could hear the rattle when the phone is calling someone. My cars a rattle box.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM

2017 e300
i got a 17 E300W4 with P1, the passenger and driver side windows would come back down halfway on their own when i press the button for it to go up. It would happen randomly. Dealership couldnt fix it after 3 attempts, The manufacturer of the window control module said it was a bug in their software. MB corp considered my car a lemon, gave me all my money back since i had the car, my downpayment, 12% off a newer car, and an extra 3500 cash on the car, so got me a 2018 version
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I have a 2017 E300 and I have had quite a few issues:
  • Multiple rattles (brought to dealership multiple times and they fixed them)
  • Matte black wood the paint if chipping off it (I posted a thread about this)
  • My front bumper has a chip in the paint and it seems like the clear coat is wearing off (I think I posted about this too)
  • My key fob has failed (took it to dealership, they could not replicate the problem, hasn't happened since than)
  • Touchpad buttons only work sometimes.
  • When driving between 55-85MPH car sometimes feels unstable (haven't brought this issue up to the dealership yet but will soon if I keep noticing it)
  • COMMAND system moves slower than a glaciers pace.
Also I noticed that Mercedes took away the option to reverse park when using Parking Pilot, did anyone else notice this???
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
[QUOTE=makris0000;7364423]Matte black wood the paint if chipping off it (I posted a thread about this)/QUOTE]
I have seen this happened to one of the cars at the dealership. Very surprising to see such quality issue.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Yeah I was surprised by this. I don't want to say anything but at the same time I don't want it to get worse and then i'm stuck paying for it.

Also, not sure if this is a QC thing or not, but all of me sensor beeps and blinkers are very soft/low volume. I have the settings up all the way and they are still very hard to hear. Im not deaf (i'm 24, almost 25 with great hearing). In my mother's 2015 S550 the beeps and blinkers are a lot louder and a lot easier to hear.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
Originally Posted by makris0000
Yeah I was surprised by this. I don't want to say anything but at the same time I don't want it to get worse and then i'm stuck paying for it.
Did the dealer acknowledge the problem? Also curious to know the built date of your car as well.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
2018 E400’s Coupe. No issues.
The following users liked this post:
Grey.Coupe (01-31-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 Sport/ Diamond White
I have a 2017 E with the P2 package and some other additional options. I too have had some minor issues as follows:

1) When I first got the car the first open greeting "ding" sound from the car would go off. Also would happen upon starting the car. Backup sensors and front sensors would beat when getting closer to an object and setting the seat memory would also beep once when you hit the 1,2 or 3 button. Now none of this ever beeps each time.......it beeps sometimes like whenever it wants sporadically and IF it beeps it is now really soft and almost unnoticeable. This does not make sense at all!!

2) I had a rattle coming from the front passenger door or wheel well area from the Burmester Sound System. Thought it was a blown speaker and dealer replaced one saying it was a blown speaker but after getting the car back it still made the same noise so I isolated it myself. When playing loud base songs there is a fuse box cover in the front passenger floor board and the cover rattles on deep base songs. I put felt tape around the edges on the inside of the cover and it fixed that immediately.

3) My park assist works half the time. No matter how fast or slow I drive by a parking spot it just "thinks" and never brings up an open spot to choose.

4) the command system will freeze sometimes when choosing between radio and media. It actually locked up once and only once so far and I had to power it down and back on.

5) My window wash fluid motor went out with only like 4K miles on the car. The tank was full of fluid but none would come out when pushing the button. Had to take to dealer and have replaced under warranty.

6) I also have the chrome strips on the back passenger driver side door coming up. You can look in the mirror and see that it is higher than the front door.

I love the design of the car....very classy!! And I will give them a small pass but not completely on the fact that it is a first year model redesign....BUT.....it is a friggin MERCEDES! IThis is my first one to own as I have driven 4 different Infiniti's over the last 20 years and I can honestly say that I never had these kinds of issues with any of the Infiniti's so shocked to have such poor build quality on a mercedes. Even the door sounds when closing on the mercedes sounds like crap compared to the quietness of the Infiniti's. And what in the HELL is with the engine sound on this E??? This car LITERALLY sounds like it is going to either fall apart or blow up. The car sounds like total sh*t for a new car. I have actually had clients ask me if there is something wrong with my car......you know how embarassing that is!

Like I say.....love the looks and design and comfort of the car but had no idea what I would be getting myself in to owning one. Just thought I would share. Thanks to you all for the great advice on here. I love reading the posts and finding out more about the car. Everyone have a great week!
-Brandon
Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by Dallasite
I have a 2017 E with the P2 package and some other additional options. I too have had some minor issues as follows:

1) When I first got the car the first open greeting "ding" sound from the car would go off. Also would happen upon starting the car. Backup sensors and front sensors would beat when getting closer to an object and setting the seat memory would also beep once when you hit the 1,2 or 3 button. Now none of this ever beeps each time.......it beeps sometimes like whenever it wants sporadically and IF it beeps it is now really soft and almost unnoticeable. This does not make sense at all!!

2) I had a rattle coming from the front passenger door or wheel well area from the Burmester Sound System. Thought it was a blown speaker and dealer replaced one saying it was a blown speaker but after getting the car back it still made the same noise so I isolated it myself. When playing loud base songs there is a fuse box cover in the front passenger floor board and the cover rattles on deep base songs. I put felt tape around the edges on the inside of the cover and it fixed that immediately.

3) My park assist works half the time. No matter how fast or slow I drive by a parking spot it just "thinks" and never brings up an open spot to choose.

4) the command system will freeze sometimes when choosing between radio and media. It actually locked up once and only once so far and I had to power it down and back on.

5) My window wash fluid motor went out with only like 4K miles on the car. The tank was full of fluid but none would come out when pushing the button. Had to take to dealer and have replaced under warranty.

6) I also have the chrome strips on the back passenger driver side door coming up. You can look in the mirror and see that it is higher than the front door.

I love the design of the car....very classy!! And I will give them a small pass but not completely on the fact that it is a first year model redesign....BUT.....it is a friggin MERCEDES! IThis is my first one to own as I have driven 4 different Infiniti's over the last 20 years and I can honestly say that I never had these kinds of issues with any of the Infiniti's so shocked to have such poor build quality on a mercedes. Even the door sounds when closing on the mercedes sounds like crap compared to the quietness of the Infiniti's. And what in the HELL is with the engine sound on this E??? This car LITERALLY sounds like it is going to either fall apart or blow up. The car sounds like total sh*t for a new car. I have actually had clients ask me if there is something wrong with my car......you know how embarassing that is!

Like I say.....love the looks and design and comfort of the car but had no idea what I would be getting myself in to owning one. Just thought I would share. Thanks to you all for the great advice on here. I love reading the posts and finding out more about the car. Everyone have a great week!
-Brandon
the sound of the engine is from the direct injection. It sounded worse on my 13 E350 than on my 18 E400’s. My 16 A6 3.0 doesn’t sound like that.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 W205, '11 W212, '04 R230
I have a 2017 E P2 CPO Service Loaner with around 5k miles. I have driven it approximately 1k miles since purchase. Rattle from center dash was corrected by dealership with felt tape and several days at the shop. Slight vibration at 65-75mph was not replicated, however, a forced road balance was completed with mild improvement. There is something very quirky about windows. Remote start will not engage because "window is open". Windows will not roll all the way up. Can reset by holding the button up for 5 seconds. Today, the driver window would not roll up. Would go up to the top and then immediately roll half way back down. I cycled the engine, opened the door several times before it magically corrected itself. Passenger mirror dips upon start up (lowered mirror for back-up is not selected). This is our 10th MB starting in 2001 (C's/E's/ML/GL/SL). I'm very concerned about the reliability of this car. Has anyone else experienced the weird window thing?
Old 01-30-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
Originally Posted by BirdLady
I have a 2017 E P2 CPO Service Loaner with around 5k miles. I have driven it approximately 1k miles since purchase. Rattle from center dash was corrected by dealership with felt tape and several days at the shop. Slight vibration at 65-75mph was not replicated, however, a forced road balance was completed with mild improvement. There is something very quirky about windows. Remote start will not engage because "window is open". Windows will not roll all the way up. Can reset by holding the button up for 5 seconds. Today, the driver window would not roll up. Would go up to the top and then immediately roll half way back down. I cycled the engine, opened the door several times before it magically corrected itself. Passenger mirror dips upon start up (lowered mirror for back-up is not selected). This is our 10th MB starting in 2001 (C's/E's/ML/GL/SL). I'm very concerned about the reliability of this car. Has anyone else experienced the weird window thing?
I have had every single one of those issues and more since day one of this car and my dealer would not even acknowledge the wheel vibration. The vibration is very noticeable when you go speeds of 80+ but very noticeable at speeds above 100. everything starts to vibrate, not a mercedes trait at a high speed. truly disappointed
Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by haielhaifa27
Forgot to let yall know what happened but I took the car to the dealer and they performed a software update to address my steering wheel adjustment problem.
Faced the same issue on my w212 - the easy entry / exit function would not move the steering wheel as it should nor would the tilt lever - dealer performed the "software" fix and it functioned properly for a three weeks or so, then went dead again - took it in and the second time they replaced the motor - so it seems the "software" fix (I think they just reset the motor) only delayed the inevitable motor fail. Just an FYI to keep your eye on it for a while to make sure the fix sticks.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:02 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
Its been a good car thus far, but the drivers door lacks the quality expected in a vehicle that costs this much. I have had to wedge a couple of business cards to elimiate the rattle. It's been to the dealer and it's going back again on Friday

The COMAND is a bit slow but its not too bad

That's the only thing I have had an issue with other than the TERRIBLE black plastic centre console trim which i changed for the black ash open pore wood. Even though the part nearly cost $1000 AUD, it was worth it.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
After 5 months since delivery I've had no problems. My only issues are engine noise and poor fuel consumption of 19 mpg since new. My BMW 535i got 15% better fuel economy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone with E-Class quality issues?