MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   E300 Perfume (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/694206-e300-perfume.html)

jhpmbusa 01-03-2018 04:23 PM

E300 Perfume

I just picked up my E300 yesterday and have the perfume set to medium in the car. Is the smell supposed to be hardly noticeable?? I think i smell it if i have the vents shooting out the air to the body section instead of the floor, but It might just be in my head.....? I am sure I have it turned on in the system.

bellavance 01-03-2018 04:30 PM

It's subtle ... very subtle. Sometimes when you start the car ... but not always. Mine's also set to Medium.

At least you also get Air Ionization with Air Balance. I always leave it turned on.

I don't know what triggers perfume distribution, and how often. Does anyone know?

Latinnftl 01-03-2018 04:57 PM

In my C300 that had it I noticed it often when I accerated. Also as Bellevance noted, when I started the car. There are some conditions though that are required, for example you can't have the "recirculate cabin air" button selected, and if I recall I had to have the driver's air vent open. You might look in the manual.

jhpmbusa 01-03-2018 07:41 PM

put it on high on the ride home this evening, and not even a scent.... is there anything else I have to do other than turning it on through the system??

Latinnftl 01-03-2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7349086)
put it on high on the ride home this evening, and not even a scent.... is there anything else I have to do other than turning it on through the system??

Silly as it sounds make sure you removed the plastic tape it might have had over the cap. Also you should hear it rise up when you close the glove compartment. As I mentioned you need to make sure you don’t have it on recirculate. Make sure all vents are on and open. Turn off the ionizer and see if that makes the scent more noticeable.

Akso it took me forever to realize that I was turning it off. I have played with the control in the E but in the C the circular symbol it wasn’t obvious that I had to have it set a certain way and if it wasn’t it was actually off

jhpmbusa 01-03-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Latinnftl (Post 7349124)

Silly as it sounds make sure you removed the plastic tape it might have had over the cap. Also you should hear it rise up when you close the glove compartment. As I mentioned you need to make sure you don’t have it on recirculate. Make sure all vents are on and open. Turn off the ionizer and see if that makes the scent more noticeable.

Akso it took me forever to realize that I was turning it off. I have played with the control in the E but in the C the circular symbol it wasn’t obvious that I had to have it set a certain way and if it wasn’t it was actually off

Will give it a try tomorrow! I believe I have the IONIZER on, hopefully when I turn it off it should work. What does the IONIZER do anyways lol?

Egonvdv 01-04-2018 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7349134)
Will give it a try tomorrow! I believe I have the IONIZER on, hopefully when I turn it off it should work. What does the IONIZER do anyways lol?

the ionizer is a bit like god. if you believe in it it works :-)

jhpmbusa 01-05-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Latinnftl (Post 7349124)

Still doesnt work.... maybe i have to bring it in for warranty....

704set 01-06-2018 06:53 AM

I could not smell any perfume in my new car. The dealer looked at it and send it was working just fine. I still could not smell anything, It would be better to buy a $1.95 pine tree smelly thing and have the extra space in the glove box.

jhpmbusa 01-09-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 704set (Post 7351003)
I could not smell any perfume in my new car. The dealer looked at it and send it was working just fine. I still could not smell anything, It would be better to buy a $1.95 pine tree smelly thing and have the extra space in the glove box.

So I finally gave the dealership a call today. Seems like it works when I put in on AUTO. For those that said it works do you guys leave the air/heat on AUTO?

704set 01-09-2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7353906)
So I finally gave the dealership a call today. Seems like it works when I put in on AUTO. For those that said it works do you guys leave the air/heat on AUTO?

Where is the AUTO that you are referring about? I can see high, med, low and off under air filter.

Thanks,
704sey

Cao Black 01-09-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 704set (Post 7353922)
Where is the AUTO that you are referring about? I can see high, med, low and off under air filter.

Thanks,
704sey

Set your Climate Control to Auto.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ecb78610b.png

704set 01-09-2018 08:18 PM

Oh, that AUTO. I always have the Auto on and it doesn't seem to affect the perfume. I don't think I will be spending $95 for a perfume refill when the $1.95 pine tree works better.

Thanks.

Latinnftl 01-09-2018 10:00 PM

Yes, it's also noted in the manual (page 125 of the manual): "Automatic climate control is activated." As I said earlier in the thread, it takes a whole set of conditions for the Airmatic to work. It does work though. I purchase my own scents and use the refillable bottle. Using white vinegar and coffee beans between scents to try to reduce the previous scents effects. As for the $1.95 freshner mentioned later, yeah no I'm not putting a $1.95 freshner in my 86K car.

Cao Black 01-09-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 704set (Post 7353946)
Oh, that AUTO. I always have the Auto on and it doesn't seem to affect the perfume. I don't think I will be spending $95 for a perfume refill when the $1.95 pine tree works better.

Thanks.

Will you be hanging the tree from the rear view mirror? :rolf:

Silver lining...if you wait until it is empty before spending the $95 replacement cost...well, you get the picture.

704set 01-10-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Latinnftl (Post 7354012)
Yes, it's also noted in the manual (page 125 of the manual): "Automatic climate control is activated." As I said earlier in the thread, it takes a whole set of conditions for the Airmatic to work. It does work though. I purchase my own scents and use the refillable bottle. Using white vinegar and coffee beans between scents to try to reduce the previous scents effects. As for the $1.95 freshner mentioned later, yeah no I'm not putting a $1.95 freshner in my 86K car.

What type of scents work by refilling the bottle.
And you are correct about putting a $1.95 pine tree freshner in a $86K car. Next time I'm putting in an entire pine tree for $95. :)

704set

Petmerctech 06-22-2018 06:16 AM

Did you get this working? There are a few cases where the scent hose behind the glove compartment got pinched during assembly thereby preventing the scent from coming out of the vents.

jhpmbusa 06-22-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Petmerctech (Post 7485248)
Did you get this working? There are a few cases where the scent hose behind the glove compartment got pinched during assembly thereby preventing the scent from coming out of the vents.

oh excellent! yes i still feel like my issue hasn't been resolved. Whats the best way to tell the service department on fixing this issue???

Cao Black 06-22-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7349134)

Ionizers (supposedly) improve air quality by removing particles from the air in the cabin. Separate from that is fragrance. I have my fragrance setting on low, and it works as expected, although I can't tell you how or when. Usually just after start up, and then at random times thereafter. Fireside (the default fragrance that come with the car) is gently emitted into the cabin. The odor lasts for a short time and is rather pleasant. i don't smoke or have pets in my car, so there isn't much to mask. BTW, I run my climate control on Auto nearly all the time, set at 70.

Petmerctech 06-23-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7485406)
oh excellent! yes i still feel like my issue hasn't been resolved. Whats the best way to tell the service department on fixing this issue???

First of all, is it working for you? You said in a post above that it seems to work in AUTO mode?

Try following the instructions on page 125 of your operator's manual again first under Perfume atomizer

Setting the fragrance system

Requirements

R Automatic climate control is activated.

R The glove box is closed.

Multimedia system: Vehicle --> Climate Control --> Air Freshener

To set the intensity: select HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, or OFF

Try that first and see if you can smell it. Even on the low setting, the scent is noticeable unless your sense of smell is severely impaired. If you still don't smell the scent, request your dealer to check it again and say that it's not working. Tell your service advisor that you've heard of cases where the scent hose was pinched during assembly and have the tech or even better, the shop foreman, research the issue in his resources as it's not an official MB service bulletin. He should know where to look for the cases and remove the glove box to check the scent hose.

jhpmbusa 07-29-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Petmerctech (Post 7486134)
First of all, is it working for you? You said in a post above that it seems to work in AUTO mode?

Try following the instructions on page 125 of your operator's manual again first under Perfume atomizer

Setting the fragrance system

Requirements

R Automatic climate control is activated.

R The glove box is closed.

Multimedia system: Vehicle --> Climate Control --> Air Freshener

To set the intensity: select HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, or OFF

Try that first and see if you can smell it. Even on the low setting, the scent is noticeable unless your sense of smell is severely impaired. If you still don't smell the scent, request your dealer to check it again and say that it's not working. Tell your service advisor that you've heard of cases where the scent hose was pinched during assembly and have the tech or even better, the shop foreman, research the issue in his resources as it's not an official MB service bulletin. He should know where to look for the cases and remove the glove box to check the scent hose.

Just got my car back after 3 weeks, states that the perfume is working as its designed. Still not a single smell after having it all weekend long. Is it possible for me to fix on my own?

jhpmbusa 08-03-2018 04:12 PM

after 2 visits to service still no luck. today they gave me a brand new bottle. just drove home.. like 3 miles... still no scent at all...

rbrylaw 08-03-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7520054)
after 2 visits to service still no luck. today they gave me a brand new bottle. just drove home.. like 3 miles... still no scent at all...

Put it on high in settings and see if you can smell it. For us, it was too prominent in High, so we backed it down to low and it's there, but just barely as I think it should be.

jhpmbusa 08-03-2018 05:07 PM

yepp. definitely on high and nothing. will try again later tonight.

rbrylaw 08-03-2018 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7520110)
yepp. definitely on high and nothing. will try again later tonight.

Is it possible you just have difficulty smelling scents? Some people may not be able to smell things other's can easily smell. It shouldn't be overwhelming. It should be a mild scent.