MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Windshield Washer Fluid (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/694848-windshield-washer-fluid.html)

sonichanxiao 01-09-2018 01:26 PM

Windshield Washer Fluid

I am wondering if I need to use Windshield Washer Fluid for the car or can be replace with water?

Any problem with water during winter season? Car would be either in garage or underground car park.

Thanks.

knoppe01 01-09-2018 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by sonichanxiao (Post 7353582)
I am wondering if I need to use Windshield Washer Fluid for the car or can be replace with water?

Any problem with water during winter season? Car would be either in garage or underground car park.

Thanks.

Why after spending all the $$ on a Mercedes would you even think about the $3 for a gallon of washer fluid. If the lines freeze up it will cost so much more not to mention how poor a job water will do.

c4004matic 01-09-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sonichanxiao (Post 7353582)

Thanks.

Really?? Water in winter, its called ice....

sonichanxiao 01-09-2018 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by knoppe01 (Post 7353632)
Why after spending all the $$ on a Mercedes would you even think about the $3 for a gallon of washer fluid. If the lines freeze up it will cost so much more not to mention how poor a job water will do.

It's my first brand new car, and before I never notice there is such thing called windshield washer fluid, only refilled with water before, also I wasn't at a place with such cold temperature in winter. So no snow, nor ice, always above 0 degrees.

After checked the price, it is reasonable cheap, so I probably use that. Not sure how long it can last(I have to wipe the window at least 5-10 times a day now, it's kind of dirty here when it is wet).

Google also mentioned that it pollute the environment quite a lot, not sure how bad it is.

sonichanxiao 01-09-2018 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7353633)
Really?? Water in winter, its called ice....

My only concern is if it would freeze within the tank or pipe when it is cold.

When it is -30 in here, I guess most of fluid will be frozen.

As long as it would not freeze in the tank or pipe, I am Ok if it causes icing on the window, that's what the heated windshield I paid for. I tired it last Christmas, really useful and cleaned the ice quickly.

knoppe01 01-09-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sonichanxiao (Post 7353667)
It's my first brand new car, and before I never notice there is such thing called windshield washer fluid, only refilled with water before, also I wasn't at a place with such cold temperature in winter. So no snow, nor ice, always above 0 degrees.

After checked the price, it is reasonable cheap, so I probably use that. Not sure how long it can last(I have to wipe the window at least 5-10 times a day now, it's kind of dirty here when it is wet).

Google also mentioned that it pollute the environment quite a lot, not sure how bad it is.

Out of curiosity where is the car located ? 10 times a day seems a lot

ua549 01-09-2018 02:38 PM

Washer fluid contains surfactants that aid in cleaning the glass without streaking. The tank and hoses are plastic and not heated. They will freeze at +32°F and may rupture. Why take the risk? Use MB approved washer fluid not diluted with water.

sonichanxiao 01-09-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by knoppe01 (Post 7353681)
Out of curiosity where is the car located ? 10 times a day seems a lot

I am Toronto based, it seems either after snow or with light snow, the wiping just doesn't clean the windshield. So I have to wash and then wipe, but only last for about 10 minutes.

I wiped 3 times this morning to work, when it's getting dark after 5 like yesterday, I need to keep using the wiper to wash and wipe the window every 5 minutes.

sonichanxiao 01-09-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7353682)
Washer fluid contains surfactants that aid in cleaning the glass without streaking. The tank and hoses are plastic and not heated. They will freeze at +32°F and may rupture. Why take the risk? Use MB approved washer fluid not diluted with water.

Thanks for the information.

Definitely I would not risk that when the fluid is still within a affordable range. I guess I could add some water mixing with the fluid during summer seasons to cause less damage to the environment.

petee1997 01-10-2018 01:35 PM

Toronto! Are you out of your mind? Toronto has many days below freezing and you will rupture the lines and possibly the tank. If washer fluid is too expensive, sell the car and call Uber.

NFAREVIEW 01-10-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sonichanxiao (Post 7353720)
Thanks for the information.

Definitely I would not risk that when the fluid is still within a affordable range. I guess I could add some water mixing with the fluid during summer seasons to cause less damage to the environment.

ummm...What do you plan to change the engine oil with? Olive oil? If you're worried about windshield washer fluid cost and environmental impact maybe you should sell the car and ride the bus. Seriously....is this a troll post?

sonichanxiao 01-10-2018 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 7354484)
Toronto! Are you out of your mind? Toronto has many days below freezing and you will rupture the lines and possibly the tank. If washer fluid is too expensive, sell the car and call Uber.

Hey, like I said earlier this is my first brand new car and where I used to drive the temperature is never below 0 degree, so I didn't know I need to refill the tank with special fluid. And I didn't know how much it would cost me to fill with windshield wash fluid.

You don't need to give me a lesson like this, sounds like you have tons of GT-R in your garage.

sonichanxiao 01-10-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW (Post 7354491)
ummm...What do you plan to change the engine oil with? Olive oil? If you're worried about windshield washer fluid cost and environmental impact maybe you should sell the car and ride the bus. Seriously....is this a troll post?

To you as well,

Don't talk to people like you know everything from A to Z. And your joke just make me feel like talking to your president.

This might be a dumb question to you and the other, but at least I got what I want to know from those who give useful information and advice in a polite way.

And I will definitely remember to dump some waste when I go to US next time.

petee1997 01-10-2018 07:01 PM

You are right. My post was not justified. I did not know that you are not originally from Toronto. Now you know that Toronto is cold and that water freezes at 0 C. Windshield washer is very inexpensive at Canadian Tire. I usually keep 5 or 6 jugs in my garage because we use so much of it.

704set 01-11-2018 06:42 AM

In college, I used to add isopropyl alcohol to the water. It worked great. The windshield was clean, sterile and no freezing water. The only downside was the car smelled like a hospital after using it.

704set

sonichanxiao 01-11-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 7354779)
You are right. My post was not justified. I did not know that you are not originally from Toronto. Now you know that Toronto is cold and that water freezes at 0 C. Windshield washer is very inexpensive at Canadian Tire. I usually keep 5 or 6 jugs in my garage because we use so much of it.

Thank you.

Do you know if they are the same stuff or those one from the dealership(Corporate Store, that's that they call themselves in Toronto) has some magic stuff inside?

knoppe01 01-11-2018 09:53 AM

You may want to add the Mercedes "Summerwash" to each gallon - if you can get it. It really helps with the salt and crap during the winter

petee1997 01-11-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by sonichanxiao (Post 7355220)
Thank you.

Do you know if they are the same stuff or those one from the dealership(Corporate Store, that's that they call themselves in Toronto) has some magic stuff inside?

You can buy it at gas stations, Canadian Tire, Walmart etc. The dealership will most probably be more expensive and less convenient to pick up. The quality is pretty much all the same. What differs is the strength of the product ie: -30C, -40C. The product is just part of life in Canada and that is why it is available everywhere.