MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   2018 E400 4W: Km/Hr dash rectangular box (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/697214-2018-e400-4w-km-hr-dash-rectangular-box.html)

Zanotti 02-01-2018 01:49 PM

2018 E400 4W: Km/Hr dash rectangular box

Just picked up the car and I am going through the settings to show what I want. One confusing thing is a small rectangular box that shows active km/hr in its little box. Can I turn this off? How?

https://photos.smugmug.com/George/Ip...r%20hour-L.jpg

johna1 02-01-2018 09:43 PM

I think it's an option like 'additional speedometer' but I can't remember which menu it's hidden on - when mine is on it shows in mph!

Long Islander 02-06-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zanotti (Post 7371567)
Just picked up the car and I am going through the settings to show what I want. One confusing thing is a small rectangular box that shows active km/hr in its little box. Can I turn this off? How?

https://photos.smugmug.com/George/Ip...r%20hour-L.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing.

c4004matic 02-06-2018 01:51 PM

Use the system settings on the command system, I believe its somewhere in there. There is also and option for mph vs km.

dudley07726 02-06-2018 06:42 PM

I have the P2 full screen and I saw this as well but had no idea why it’s even there or how to get rid of it.

BlackjackM 02-09-2018 04:58 PM

It's through the settings tab on the COMAND screen, I went nuts trying to find it on the gauge screen..

Cao Black 02-09-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander (Post 7375031)
I've been wondering the same thing.

How come you want it off? If you have MPH speedo it's show your speed in KPH, and visa versa.

guhvies 02-10-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7377809)
How come you want it off?

Some people are vehemently opposed to the metric system...

petee1997 02-10-2018 04:08 PM

Too bad that some people are opposed to the metric system because the world is metric. It is a much more accurate system and most US manufacturing has already adopted it. The opposition from some poorly advised groups have managed to keep the US with an inferior system. Even your drug dealers are metric. They deal in grams and kilos because accuracy means money. No doubt, it’s just a matter of time before necessity will force change.

In Canada we converted to metric over 40years ago and English units are no longer thought in schools because they are obsolete..

ua549 02-10-2018 04:48 PM

The UK system is described at best as mixed metric/imperial. Imperial units are officially used to specify body measurements, journey distances, vehicle speeds, fuel economy and beverage containers. That said I much prefer using the metric system. Unfortunately users of both systems often use volume measures when they should use mass (especially food).

Long Islander 02-10-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7377809)
How come you want it off? If you have MPH speedo it's show your speed in KPH, and visa versa.

There's no point in displaying your speed when all the speed limit signs are in MPH in the US. Also, I have the display between the tach and analog speedo set to show the car's speed at all times anyway.

Cao Black 02-10-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander (Post 7378386)
There's no point in displaying your speed when all the speed limit signs are in MPH in the US. Also, I have the display between the tach and analog speedo set to show the car's speed at all times anyway.

Agreed. It serves no "real" purpose other than to provide the driver some interestingly useless information. Unless, of course, you happen to drive to somewhere in Canada. :rolf:

However, projecting ahead many years, I can see the posts in this forum now..."Damn Mercedes, they used to show both mph and kph on my instrument cluster, and now they don't" :mercy:

ua549 02-10-2018 05:49 PM

It is nice to have both measurements available. Though my E300 is a town car I've driven my BMW in both Canada and Mexico where the imperial system is not used. Where I live there are thousands of Canadian cars on our roads during the Winter season. I'm sure they appreciate instruments that display imperial measurements in addition metric.

bobpun 02-11-2018 07:54 PM

This is in response to Long Islander's query about the Mi/Km window on the driver's side screen. Go into your command icons on the middle screen and click on "Systems" and then scroll down to "Units" and click again. You will see that you can turn the "Mi/Km" window on or off as well as change your odometer from Mi to Km and reverse.

The_Judge 02-12-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobpun (Post 7379062)
This is in response to Long Islander's query about the Mi/Km window on the driver's side screen. Go into your command icons on the middle screen and click on "Systems" and then scroll down to "Units" and click again. You will see that you can turn the "Mi/Km" window on or off as well as change your odometer from Mi to Km and reverse.

Not true of my 2018 E400 Coupe (U.S. version) — "Systems" gives me the option of displaying speed and distance in either kilometers or miles, but there's no option to turn off the small display at the bottom of the driver's screen. Regardless of which option is chosen, the small display will show speed in the other format (e.g. choose KM and the small display will be in MPH and vice versa).

Long Islander 02-12-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bobpun (Post 7379062)

I figured this out and posted a reply yesterday, but apparently it did not get posted. On my car, you go into Settings, then Units and then you see a checkbox for Additional Speedometer. I unchecked Additional Speedometer and the rectangular box went away.

The_Judge 02-12-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander (Post 7379396)
I figured this out and posted a reply yesterday, but apparently it did not get posted. On my car, you go into Settings, then Units and then you see a checkbox for Additional Speedometer. I unchecked Additional Speedometer and the rectangular box went away.

My 2018 E400 Coupe does not have that option — the only options are KM or Miles, and no matter which is chosen the additional speedo appears at the bottom right of the driver's screen showing the car's speed in the format not selected (i.e., if you choose miles for the main display, the small display will be in KM/H, and vice versa).

Zanotti 02-12-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by The_Judge (Post 7379431)
My 2018 E400 Coupe does not have that option — the only options are KM or Miles, and no matter which is chosen the additional speedo appears at the bottom right of the driver's screen showing the car's speed in the format not selected (i.e., if you choose miles for the main display, the small display will be in KM/H, and vice versa).

2018 E400 Sedan: Same. You check or uncheck and the units are the opposite of the main gauge.

Strange location for the dash rectangle control.

Thanks to everyone, I successfully found it.

dudley07726 02-12-2018 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by The_Judge (Post 7379431)

KM is not checked on my system and yet it still shows on the bottom of my screen.

The_Judge 02-13-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dudley07726 (Post 7379740)

KM is not checked on my system and yet it still shows on the bottom of my screen.

Maybe I wasn't clear. What you check in the settings menu, either KM or Miles, is what appears in the MAIN speedo — for both your speed and distance traveled; the one you did NOT check is what is displayed in the small box at the bottom right of the driver's screen, showing only your speed in the format you did not choose. The idea seems to be to show the car's speed in both formats, something few of us need or want.

ua549 02-13-2018 12:23 PM

Most, if not all, cars sold in the US have had MPH and KPH indicators for several decades. I appreciate having the choice.