E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E300 Air Body Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 E300
E300 Air Body Control

I had to have my 2017 E300 towed to the dealer this week because it wouldn't start. Pressing the button to start the engine resulted in the dashboard lighting up, the wipers wiping, and just about every warning message possible being rotated through on the display. I'm talking 'hood open', 'parking assist deactivated', 'lane assist deactivated'.... everything possible. Not the slightest indication that the engine was trying to start though.

Couldn't put the car in neutral or release the parking break either so it was a pain having it towed out of our sloping driveway. No way to push it to the street so a flat-bed tow truck could get it. A conventional tow truck had to be called to lift the car from the rear.

The service advisor got back to me on Friday and said it's a short in the hydraulic pump that handles the suspension and that caused the battery to drain, resulting in the funky activity seen on the dashboard. They've ordered a replacement pump to be installed this week but my questions are 1). Isn't the suspension control (Air Body Control) pneumatic, rather than hydraulic hence the word 'AIR' in the title? 2). If the battery were dead, wouldn't jumping the car restore the electronic functions, at least enough to remove the parking break and shift to neutral?

Anyone else seen this problem? I've got about 9k miles on the car and it's just about a year old.
'