E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

13 speaker Burmester system?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Lexus RX350
13 speaker Burmester system?

how good is it? ive got mark levinson in my 17 RX350 and i think its amazing, how would this compare?
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
The base Burmester stereo is significantly better than the Mark Levinson on the RX350. In fact its probably the cleanest sounding sound systems in any car. Don't confuse a bunch of tweeters with necessarily better sound quality. Essentially what you get in the optional 4000 dollar Burmester is additional surround modes. So.... base Burmester most definitely worth it, optional Burmester I guess is worth if you consider yourself a music mogul, otherwise, definitely not. The system is not very loud but its remarkably clear for a car system. Sometimes its surprises me how well it can reproduce deep clean base. One enigma I haven't solved yet is why the Burmester on my E sounds significantly better than the one on my previous C class. Maybe the front bass system is better, or they have simply improved it in the latest version? The Eclass does have the interior quietness advantage. As far as I know the rest of the system is the same.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I have the 13 speaker Burmester system in my E. Comparing it to my loaner C class which has the standard speakers, the Burmester speakers are definitely worth the cost (I think it was about 800 or so when I got my E, it was a "forced" option with P1). The sound is incredible compared to the standard speakers and blow them away.

Also with the Burmester speakers they come with the aluminum face plates so they make the interior of the car look much better. The standard speakers have the black face plate and they look cheap.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by makris0000
I have the 13 speaker Burmester system in my E. Comparing it to my loaner C class which has the standard speakers, the Burmester speakers are definitely worth the cost (I think it was about 800 or so when I got my E, it was a "forced" option with P1). The sound is incredible compared to the standard speakers and blow them away.

Also with the Burmester speakers they come with the aluminum face plates so they make the interior of the car look much better. The standard speakers have the black face plate and they look cheap.
Do you have a cargo tray installed in the trunk? The standard MB cargo tray does not fit because of the subwoofer.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E43 AMG
Originally Posted by c4004matic
The base Burmester stereo is significantly better than the Mark Levinson on the RX350. In fact its probably the cleanest sounding sound systems in any car. Don't confuse a bunch of tweeters with necessarily better sound quality. Essentially what you get in the optional 4000 dollar Burmester is additional surround modes. So.... base Burmester most definitely worth it, optional Burmester I guess is worth if you consider yourself a music mogul, otherwise, definitely not. The system is not very loud but its remarkably clear for a car system. Sometimes its surprises me how well it can reproduce deep clean base. One enigma I haven't solved yet is why the Burmester on my E sounds significantly better than the one on my previous C class. Maybe the front bass system is better, or they have simply improved it in the latest version? The Eclass does have the interior quietness advantage. As far as I know the rest of the system is the same.
I noticed the exact same thing... My friend has a 2016 C300 Coupe, and I ordered the E43 AMG. The burmester system in the E was WORLDS better than the one in the C. I think it has to do with the size of the cabin and placement of hte speakers, but i also think there is something different about the bass system set up in the E vs the C. I was preparing myself to be disappointed in the burmester system after riding in my friends C300 but was pleasantly surprised in the E.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
Originally Posted by ryuen90247
I noticed the exact same thing... My friend has a 2016 C300 Coupe, and I ordered the E43 AMG. The burmester system in the E was WORLDS better than the one in the C. I think it has to do with the size of the cabin and placement of hte speakers, but i also think there is something different about the bass system set up in the E vs the C. I was preparing myself to be disappointed in the burmester system after riding in my friends C300 but was pleasantly surprised in the E.
I think someone in the forum posted that the amp used in the E class is different than the C class, hence the "same" system sounds better in the E. I am not car audio expert so if someone can provide with more information, it will be great.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Same speakers in some cases, amp not the same, the E Class Burmester system was not rushed in development as in the C

Also there is no rear subwoofer, the Burmester uses two woofers under the dash for the low frequencies
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (03-12-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
I think I've lost too much high-frequency hearing to appreciate going up to a higher sound system option.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Class Estate (S213) SE 220D
Originally Posted by jester1
I think I've lost too much high-frequency hearing to appreciate going up to a higher sound system option.
Human voices are ~200Hz.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
In fact voice is an avg of 1 kHz. Regardless, frequency is not the issue given that essentially all audio systems can reproduce the audible spectrum. More impotant is the dynamic range that can be reproduced by the system without distortion. Audiophiles dont buy insanely powerful amps to play louder they buy them to increase "headroom" and to drive speakers that often trade efficiency for transparency. Utrafangled tweeters like BW diamonds are not made for people that can hear at 30kHz, they are simply extend the frequency range so that any distortion up there doesn't "color" aka distort the frequencies you do hear. You will rarely see an audio nut worry about how loud a system can play but rather how clear it is.

Last edited by c4004matic; 03-10-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
When I have people over to listen to music, the first thing I usually put on is a simple, awesomely recorded album like Jeff Tweedy's "Together At Last". Just voice, guitar and harmonica. Twenty seconds in I get this OMG look. It's like he's in the room with you. That is imaging, clarity, realistic reproduction. High frequency hearing loss might affect a little bit of it, but not much (I'm no spring chicken either). As C4004matic says, no power involved there either.
Tight, dynamic, tuneful bass might be what people pick on when that music is played. You could be practically deaf and hear how good it is.
Whether a person cares enough about this to pay $5 grand is an entirely different question. But don't write off your ability to enjoy music like everyone else.
petee1997 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:41 PM

I just know that interpreting voices,especially women & children is VERY difficult unless I'm wearing my hearing aids & have them set on 'Audibility Extender'.Without that program activated,bird noises don't exist.Oven timers can go off & i can't pick them up unless I put my ear almost on the side of it.
That program steps down the higher frequencies to a range where the cilia hearing cells for those frequencies still exist.Even then,if much background noise is going on,such as in a restaurant,it can be a lost cause.
I'm relying more & more on close-captioning when watching TV or else I's miss too much.

I think I wrecked my hearing from not wearing protection when I would be in the dog kennel,& also exposure to the sound of a dental machines' turbine.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:42 PM

I just know that interpreting voices,especially women & children is VERY difficult unless I'm wearing my hearing aids & have them set on 'Audibility Extender'.Without that program activated,bird noises don't exist.Oven timers can go off & i can't pick them up unless I put my ear almost on the side of it.
That program steps down the higher frequencies to a range where the cilia hearing cells for those frequencies still exist.Even then,if much background noise is going on,such as in a restaurant,it can be a lost cause.
I'm relying more & more on close-captioning when watching TV or else I's miss too much.

I think I wrecked my hearing from not wearing protection when I would be in the dog kennel,& also exposure to the sound of a dental machines' turbine.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
There are two Burmester sound systems for the 2018 E-Class Mercedes: the 13-speaker " Burmester Surround-Soundsystem" with 590 watts and the 23 speaker "High-End 3D-Surround-Soundsystem" with 1450 watts. Info here: https://www.burmester.de/en/automoti...z/e-class.html
DKSF (01-14-2020)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Originally Posted by vic viper
Same speakers in some cases, amp not the same, the E Class Burmester system was not rushed in development as in the C

Also there is no rear subwoofer, the Burmester uses two woofers under the dash for the low frequencies
I am thinking of adding a subwoofer. I will let you know what technician suggests.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E400W4 Sedan Luxury Trim
I just upgraded from a 2015 C300 to a 2018 E400, both cars have the Burmester system (the base Burmester in the E) and the one in the E is significantly better. Don't get me wrong, the system in the C class is excellent but the one in the E is better, I don't know why, but it is. Everything is subjective but I'm impressed. If you're thinking about the 13 speaker setup I think you should try and find one to listen to before making the decision, but that might be hard I'm not aware of any in SOCAL inventory, which is a major MB market.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
I decided against getting the Burmester system in the W205 after hearing it. It was lacking the mid bass, highs were too pronounced and the lows were muffled.
But the base Burmester in the W213 is miles ahead of the W205. Sounds much, much better and is definitely acceptable for me. I won't be upgrading anything there.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I'm driving a C300 loaner right now w/Burmester system & upgraded stereo system. It's not as good as my E, but it's respectable. The base C-class w/o Burmester system is an embarrassment to the brand and shouldn't even be an option.

I've not run SIA SMAART or a Real Time Analyzer on the systems yet, but they're reasonably well tuned. Most of my gear's on loan to various people, but when a calibration mic & related equipment finds its way back home to me, I'll toss it in the car and post some measurements. I have all cuts on my EQ in the loaner C and I believe I have my E's EQs set flat except a +2 on the mids to open it up and a rear +2 to enhance the surround effect. I wish these cars would have a more adjustable EQ. It's all DSP at this point. They could easily put a 5-band, 13-band, or even a Parametric EQ in there. I don't care for the factory EQ center frequencies. I miss my aux-fed subs from my touring sound days.

I can't imagine adding a 3rd party subwoofer to the base E Burmester system. I personally wish the factory system went about one octave deeper before hitting it's -3dB & -6dB frequency response roll-off curves, BUT if the recording has real bass in it, the system does indeed perform. Two songs which do show the system has more than enough bass if it's present in the original recording:
Jesse Cook - Havana -
France Gall - Baby Pop -
(yes, it's a crappy song, but acoustically it's spot-on. Nice bloom from the acoustic analog chambers at the studio)
Cambridgehank (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Just for the heck of it, I listened to Havana on YouTube and you are correct, good bass. I then listened on Spotify and Pandora, good bass. So I went to allmusic.com and good bass. Downloaded the song to my iPod from iTunes. No bass! I will try it in the MB tomorrow on the way to work to see if transfers to the car.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Originally Posted by LAC300
I just upgraded from a 2015 C300 to a 2018 E400, both cars have the Burmester system (the base Burmester in the E) and the one in the E is significantly better. Don't get me wrong, the system in the C class is excellent but the one in the E is better, I don't know why, but it is. Everything is subjective but I'm impressed. If you're thinking about the 13 speaker setup I think you should try and find one to listen to before making the decision, but that might be hard I'm not aware of any in SOCAL inventory, which is a major MB market.
Most socal E classes' have premium 1 package, which includes the Burmester system.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E220d (W213)
The sound is quite stunning! I've always upgraded the sound systems in my cars (Meridian in the Range Rover and HK in a 2011 C class), but this is really something else.

If you really want to see what this system is capable of then fire up Spotify, load up the song 'I am legend' by God, Mark Holiday (or click this spotify link) and be blown away by the base drop around 54 seconds (perhaps start listening from 50s).

Warning around 1.24 there's a single F bomb (practically the only line in the song as it's mostly instrumental)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM

2018 E400 4Matic
With the handle you've got you listen to Spotify?
Pretty good tune. I'm listening to it now on Tidal.
Thanks for the good words on the Burmester. Did you get the regular or 'high end 3-d' version?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E220d (W213)
Haha, yeah I never went down the Tidal streaming service route. Tidal's been a handle i've had since around 1996 (when I used it as an account name on a SunOS server)

I went for the regular Burmester. I just couldn't quite justify the high-end (which I think has 25 speakers), especially with around £15k of other add-ons. Really impressed with it though.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:16 AM

I wonder if the difference in cabin shape influences the perceived sound difference.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:28 AM

2018 E400 4Matic
I would bet it would, at least between the S-Class and E-Class variants. Might be pretty subtle across the similar E-series variants, with the Wagon being a car unto itself.
Digital signal processing (DSP) sometimes gets a bad reputation, and I can understand how people feel this messes with the sound. I used to feel the same way until I spent serious time using Acourate (a DSP program) to optimize the sound in my music room. It makes a really positive improvement, not just in overall frequency response, but also in other ways due to time alignment improvements. You just can't get anything like this with yesterday's equalizers.
So in the case of Burmester's implementation across Mercedes and Porsche, the DSP can be used to fine tune the sound for each cabin's acoustic signature. That is also the mechanism by which you can tune optimal listening environment for each seating position.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 13 speaker Burmester system?