Eco On-Off and what I did about it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by mister__p
I met a MB technician through a friend at a social event and had a long conversation about cars and reliability etc. As I own a W213, I asked many questions relating to this model and the kinds of issues he had come across which I should be aware of. To my delight there was no breaking news and he stated in his tenure at MB, the E's were one of the better built models which did not have too many glitches, certainly nothing major when fairly new that could not be resolved very quickly. However, when I asked about medium to longer term, he recommended that I not use the eco stop/start as he believed it COULD be problematic resulting in costly repairs later on. He also mentioned air suspension.

​​​​​
I disagree - my Jun 18 W213, the start/stop takes effect immediately. Just this morning, I started my car for the first time today to move it 20 yards to my other parking space but after I pulled up to the space with the intention of reversing in, the engine stopped/started when I braked to shift it into reverse. As the car had only been running for 10 seconds, I doubt it's engine temp was at "working temp". Btw, ambient temperature here today is 25 Deg C. I see this behavior every morning when I drive to work as I have to stop my car to make a left turn out of my residence. It's always at that turn with my foot on the brake that the stop/start occurs which reminds me to deactivate it.

Feel free to worry about your vehicles durability, I dont.

Also as I mentioned before, several preconditions must have been met before the engine stops, coolant temperature is one of them,
if your vihcle stopped as you mentioned the coolant was hot enough or there is some error in the system, software or hardware related.
The following users liked this post:
Mykhaylo (04-03-2021)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by vic viper
Also as I mentioned before, several preconditions must have been met before the engine stops....
That was most definitely NOT so with my car — ECO On-Off was fully operative from the moment the car was started. (I say "was" because I bought a device to defeat it, and I'm much happen to have it gone.)
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by The_Judge
That was most definitely NOT so with my car — ECO On-Off was fully operative from the moment the car was started. (I say "was" because I bought a device to defeat it, and I'm much happen to have it gone.)

You are saying that the green eco symbol comes on at the moment you start the car cold?
Sounds very strange, it is possible that this is a US market thing.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
You are saying that the green eco symbol comes on at the moment you start the car cold?
Sadly, in the US this is exactly what happens. I've become trained well to:

1. Start Car
2. Set to my programmed individual configuration
3. Immediately turn OFF Eco Start Stop function
Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
The only time I ever see the green Eco symbol is if I switch the transmission to the Eco mode. That's something separate and apart from Eco On-Off.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by Alan0354
You are the one that link Chrysler to MB, I don't they have anything to do with each other in engineering of their cars.
no i didn't - you're still confused friend - please go back and read the posts - as i've attempted to tell you many times now, the link i posted about the eco start / stop was to daimler's website, owner and operator of mb... had nothing to do with chrysler... YOU brought up chrysler when you replied to my post asking about chrysler's reliability, to which i asked you if you knew daimler owns and operates mb... as you are clearly confusing one for the other... daimler = mercedes-benz, not chrysler.

apologies for the sidebar folks, back on topic. #over&out
Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
The only time I ever see the green Eco symbol is if I switch the transmission to the Eco mode. That's something separate and apart from Eco On-Off.

I meant the "A" symbol indicating if the start/stop functionality is active or not.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
I’ve had my mid city engineering device installed now for over half a year. I get great gas mileage and any point that I want to activate the feature to turn off the engine at stop lights etc I can. If you get this you won’t regret it.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:35 AM

2018 E400 Coupe
I meant the "A" symbol indicating if the start/stop functionality is active or not.
Where do you see the "A" symbol? I don't recall ever seeing it in my car (which is not exactly proof-positive that it's not there).
Old 10-05-2018, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Where do you see the "A" symbol? I don't recall ever seeing it in my car (which is not exactly proof-positive that it's not there).
Its no W213 but the symbol is the same, green when start/stop is active and yellow when the preconditions arnt met.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
Ah, there's the problem! Your car has the "standard" instrument display and mine has the "Widescreen Cockpit" instrument display (picture from manual):

Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan

From the w213 manual ^^^^^

Last edited by CaptainE; 10-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:49 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
But it never appears if you have on of the after-market devices that switches the ECO on-off function permanently off.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
But it never appears if you have on of the after-market devices that switches the ECO on-off function permanently off.

No I have the widescreen, the picture is not from an W213 as I mentioned above it, I am just illustrating the symbol.

So you are saying you have never seen this symbol?, how does the on/off button for the start/stop look like?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213

A picture from my vehicle with the A symbol yellow indicating that some precondition isn't met
Old 10-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Do US designed cars not have an eco stop start system?
Really only find it a minor issue when manouvering in a tight space when i switch it off. Otherwise i like the fact it saves me fuel and the planet from unnecessary pollution when i am stopped. I do not worry about additional wear as mercedes have made it clear they have engineered the system to meet its function. The auxillary battery element on the c class does suffer with low mileage use resulting in the stop start function not working.
Given the UN report today having a stop start system is a very minor inconvenience.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
A picture from my vehicle with the A symbol yellow indicating that some precondition isn't met
Interesting! I've never seen that symbol on the display. It must not be on all of the modes.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by ua549
Interesting! I've never seen that symbol on the display. It must not be on all of the modes.

In the picture I run the individual setting with everything but suspension in Comfort.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
By pressing the ECO on/off button on the center console, I am able to activate the "feature" and do see the "A" symbol on the dash as shown in your photo. However, if I turn it off again, the symbol disappears. Having had the gadget that shuts it off almost since I bought the car 11 months ago, I had apparently forgotten about the symbol. However, I haven't yet been able to prove your hypothesis that several conditions must be met before the engaging will shut off at every stop. Still testing, will report back.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
For 10 months of the year ECO never engages because the A/C is running hard. I keep it at 68°F which cannot be attained. If I open a window ECO will engage and shut down the engine when I stop. Try it.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
After a bit more testing I was able to validate your hypothesis by activating the ECO on-off feature on my car (I have installed a software hack that keeps it turned off unless I press the button to activate it). Although the green light on the button on the console came on, the "A" symbol didn't appear on the dash and the engine did not shut off — at first. Once the engine was warmed up a bit, the "A" appeared and the engine began shut-in off at stops. Turning on the AC also prevented it from working (although IIRC the "A" appeared on the dash) while the AC was running full blast, but once the car was cooled a bit and the AC slowed, the engine began shutting off at stops. I had never noticed this as before installing the software hack I always disengaged the "feature" as soon as I got in the car. Live and learn.

That said, I still think the ECO on-off is an annoyance, a gimmick devised by car manufacturers (assuming other brands have it, too) to help meet government-mandated gas mileage standards. In that regard it helps very little, and some reports I've read suggest that the frequent restarting of the engine actually increases the amount of pollutants coming from the car. I will continue to keep it permanently off.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
d0c

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
16 Ram 2500 / 17 GLS550 (wife's)
Other the AC turning off I see no reason what so ever to dislike this function.
just returned a 2018 GLS450 loaner and noticed something about the ECO start/stop. i explained the issue to the service advisor when i dropped it off, but i am certain, based on my prior dealings with this dealership, that nothing will come of that. i did NOT show him the video, because i will likely never see that loaner again. it's just not worth my trouble and i'm frustrated with their 'do the bare minimum' attitude.

so, it was the 1st day with this loaner and i was stopped in traffic and using the brake hold as i often do in our GL550. after about 25-30 secs, the loaner would suddenly shudder and shake. this was a front to back shudder, not side to side. the 1st time it happened, i thought i got rear-ended lightly, but the car behind me was too far away. it happened again at the next light, so i busted out my phone to record.

i found that the ECO simply shuts off, the engine subsequently revs to 500-600 RPMs and then engine hold lags slightly behind. this causes the car to start to move and then immediately stop - quite hard.

i know that the video doesn't show the severity of the start/stop, but it's there. is that normal?
Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Doesnt look normal, you should get it checked out.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:07 PM
d0c

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
16 Ram 2500 / 17 GLS550 (wife's)
Doesnt look normal, you should get it checked out.
thanks man. didn't think it was working as intended. it was a loaner doing that though. i told the service adviser. he didn't care. it won't get looked @. i am certain of that.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus
I noticed many stating they don't like that ECO because of the restarting motion with the car. In my 2017 it's the stopping that's issue. It's very noticeable like someone hit the car. Anyone else have the same issue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eco On-Off and what I did about it