MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Eco On-Off and what I did about it (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/703271-eco-off-what-i-did-about.html)

Long Islander 04-01-2018 04:58 PM

Eco On-Off and what I did about it

I hate having to press the button to bypass Eco-Off each time I start the car, so I bought a device sold by Vladimir on Ebay for less than $150. It takes less than a minute to plug in and out of the OBD port next to the hood lever under the steering column. This leaves the Eco-Off the way you want it. It works on a 2018 E400 and there is nothing to install and is reversible in case you want to reverse it. BTW, Vladimir is a member of this forum.

jhpmbusa 04-01-2018 10:21 PM

What is the main reason that you dislike about the eco system? just curious.

CarFan1 04-01-2018 10:49 PM

You mean besides the fact that it is incarnate evil? I bought the EcoOff 205 from Midcities Engineering and I am thrilled that now I can decide whenever I want auto start stop.

vic viper 04-02-2018 03:47 AM

Other the AC turning off I see no reason what so ever to dislike this function.

swatty 04-02-2018 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7419620)
Other the AC turning off I see no reason what so ever to dislike this function.

I dislike it due to the extra wear and tear of 1000,s of extra starts .

vic viper 04-02-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by swatty (Post 7419643)

I dislike it due to the extra wear and tear of 1000,s of extra starts .

It won't, the starter and other related functions are designed to work this way.

Long Islander 04-02-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7419514)

The car stops and starts several times during slow maneuvering, so the Eco-Off has to be bypassed. Also, I don't think the starter will last very long with all those start-ups.

vladimir.cdi 04-02-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7419514)

most dangerous situation with ECO-start-stop is when you turning left at high trafic and exactly same time when you are ready to accelerate to pass the intersection, ECO decide that is a RIGHT TIME TO STOP engine, then it takes 0.7sec to start again. really dangerous

vic viper 04-02-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by vladimir.cdi (Post 7419704)
most dangerous situation with ECO-start-stop is when you turning left at high trafic and exactly same time when you are ready to accelerate to pass the intersection, ECO decide that is a RIGHT TIME TO STOP engine, then it takes 0.7sec to start again. really dangerous

No it isn't, you should have a wider margin of error while driving

ua549 04-02-2018 09:22 AM

Eco start/stop why do I hate thee.
  • Sometimes there is a restart delay (>500ms) when the engine stops just as the throttle is pushed.
  • I've had the engine stop while paused during a left turn that created a dangerous situation.
  • When restarting the process is not smooth. The car shudders.
  • The interior overheats quickly due to the lack of A/C. Our daytime temperatures have already reached 32°C (90°F).

Ariesfamous 04-02-2018 09:45 AM

Anyone that thinks it's okay for an engine to start and stop a million times a year is out to lunch. I don't care if Mercedes says that it's built to do that, it's horrible for your car, and all engine components.. and unless you drive like an old man or are just a ****y driver it's pretty unsafe as well.
In fact one of the reasons why people enjoy tuning these cars so much is for the faster throttle response...
You also have to keep in mind that most people on this forum can't even do the most basic things like change a flat tire so it's not really the best place to tell people about modifications.

vic viper 04-02-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ariesfamous (Post 7419743)
Anyone that thinks it's okay for an engine to start and stop a million times a year is out to lunch. I don't care if Mercedes says that it's built to do that, it's horrible for your car, and all engine components.. and unless you drive like an old man or are just a ****y driver it's pretty unsafe as well.
In fact one of the reasons why people enjoy tuning these cars so much is for the faster throttle response...
You also have to keep in mind that most people on this forum can't even do the most basic things like change a flat tire so it's not really the best place to tell people about modifications.

Over 2700 start and stops a day, you must use your car pretty extensively?Also with some basic engine know how you would know that a warm engine using quality 229.5 grade oils wont take harm because of the start stop function.
If they were cold starts it would be a totally diiferent deal, but as most of you know, start/stop wont activate until all requirements are met including an engine at working temp.

ua549 04-02-2018 10:17 AM

@Ariesfamous
I doubt that and engine will restart twice a minute as you imply. Engine components are designed for specific duty cycles. MB's new I-6 engine will start and stop much more frequently without the driver feeling the change over from gas to electric. The issue with the current setup is the lack of electric motors with instantaneous response.

Finally, you have no idea of what the capabilities of the members on this board are so keep your opinions about member's skills to yourself.

teksurv 04-02-2018 10:24 AM

I have no idea about the wear and tear aspect, but this is my third Mercedes with this Eco Start-Stop function. I despise it. Two M276 NA engines and now a M276 Biturbo engine, none are smooth on restart. The car shakes a bit. The fraction of a second delay to accelerate is not appreciated. The lack of A/C is not appreciated. So while I understand why Mercedes and others use this, I'm happy to disable it.

Ariesfamous 04-02-2018 10:34 AM

Lol. No wobder these forums are dead.

CarFan1 04-02-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by vladimir.cdi (Post 7419704)

This happened while crossing a major highway with a 55 mph speed limit and no stoplights. You turn left through the gap and just as the gap appeared the car stopped. I steered straight and averted a disaster. I live right off this intersection and must use it daily. Add to that the hot temperatures that occur when the engine isn’t running, Eco start is a disaster.

704set 04-02-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesfamous (Post 7419743)

Ha. No jack in the trunk.

704set

Ariesfamous 04-02-2018 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7419771)
@Ariesfamous
I doubt that and engine will restart twice a minute as you imply. Engine components are designed for specific duty cycles. MB's new I-6 engine will start and stop much more frequently without the driver feeling the change over from gas to electric. The issue with the current setup is the lack of electric motors with instantaneous response.

Finally, you have no idea of what the capabilities of the members on this board are so keep your opinions about member's skills to yourself.

Lololololololololol. I'll state my opinion as I choose.

vic viper 04-02-2018 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesfamous (Post 7419895)

What are you? Twelve?

Wolfman 04-02-2018 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesfamous (Post 7419895)

You certainly do. Still makes you clueless about tech.
ECO Start/stop is disliked by as many people as run flat tires. This isn't a feature that MB created because people wanted it; these are simply tools to meet environmental/fuel economy mandates. Still, the engines work work just fine. Dimitri's module is a perfect solution, just like Mid City, Brabus and others...
I never have to disable mine because I always drive Sport Plus mode. Problem solved ;)

ua549 04-02-2018 02:53 PM

You still have to make that selection every time you start the car don't you? My car always starts in comfort mode and I have to switch modes manually. That takes the same effort as turning off Eco start/stop. I wish MB would make those settings sticky.

Ariesfamous 04-02-2018 03:19 PM

I noticed it's the same few guys that have to chime in on every single post,you guys should try going outside there's a whole world out there.
Enjoy your day.

I won't get into what I know about tech as my penis is not that little that I need to fight on some forum.

vic viper 04-02-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesfamous (Post 7420128)
I noticed it's the same few guys that have to chime in on every single post,you guys should try going outside there's a whole world out there.
Enjoy your day.

I won't get into what I know about tech as my penis is not that little that I need to fight on some forum.

Maybe that is because we actually contribute to these pages instead of bragging about our penis size?

Wolfman 04-02-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7420073)
You still have to make that selection every time you start the car don't you? My car always starts in comfort mode and I have to switch modes manually. That takes the same effort as turning off Eco start/stop. I wish MB would make those settings sticky.

Agreed on sticky settings. Some actually stick for a while (couple of hours). Suspension settings stay unless overridden (on our E63s)
MB used have some sticky settings but eliminated them unfortunately...
Sport or Sport plus mode (depending on model) will turn ECO off, otherwise we would have 2 clicks. Now at least there is one worthwhile selection ;)

Long Islander 04-04-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7419656)
It won't, the starter and other related functions are designed to work this way.

Really? Did MB re-design the starter and related parts when it started adding Eco On-Off?