E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Lowered Suspension w/Selective Damping System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Lowered Suspension w/Selective Damping System

What the heck is Lowered Suspension w/Selective Damping System? It shows on my VIN Decoder. I do not find any information on this in the owner's manual. Does it mean they lowrered the car at the factory? How do I adjust the selective damping system, can I?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
E43AMG
Originally Posted by Cambridgehank
What the heck is Lowered Suspension w/Selective Damping System? It shows on my VIN Decoder. I do not find any information on this in the owner's manual. Does it mean they lowrered the car at the factory? How do I adjust the selective damping system, can I?
well, according to the user manual you only can lower by 15mm when you select ECO or Sport or Sport+ modes
in case you'de like to go even lower - then you need special device. Read this thread how to do that:
Lowering module
Old 04-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
The above is incorrect. You cannot alter the ride height of the models with selective damping with the 3 presets. Sport in USA, or AMG Line models in the UK, come with selective damping which is 15mm lower than standard comfort steel suspension . The damping can be altered between 3 levels of stiffness but NONE of these change the ride height, it is fixed on this set up.
Only in models with Air Body Control can the ride height be adjusted, and it automatically lowers above 75mph as well.

Last edited by AhEmGee; 04-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (04-19-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
what's your suspension code?

Is your suspension code 677?

Nothing can be done to it, all modes, sports/+, comfort, eco are all the same, dampers don't take input from users. If you have ABC or some other code, then maybe that makes a difference, but there is no "adjustability" for 485 or 677.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:55 AM

E400
Originally Posted by W213Sal
what's your suspension code?

Is your suspension code 677?

Nothing can be done to it, all modes, sports/+, comfort, eco are all the same, dampers don't take input from users. If you have ABC or some other code, then maybe that makes a difference, but there is no "adjustability" for 485 or 677.
Yes, 677. So it is BS. There is no owner selection of the dampers. Love the car, but falling out of love with MB .
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
There is no BS! The specs clearly describe the "adjustability" of selective damping. The vehicle automatically adjusts the dampers depending on road conditions and driving style.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by ua549
There is no BS! The specs clearly describe the "adjustability" of selective damping. The vehicle automatically adjusts the dampers depending on road conditions and driving style.
Agility Control with Selective Damping has 3 fixed, preset damping rates which the driver can select . However they don't automatically adjust on their own according to speed and bumps in the road etc.
I've posted a screenshot from Mercedes which clearly explains the differences between the 3 set ups.

Last edited by AhEmGee; 04-21-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Cambridgehank (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 AM

Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Akash S

No it doesn't. There is no automatic continuously adjustable damping on the E Class . That's only on the S Class with Air Suspension .
Agility Control with Selective Damping has 3 fixed, preset damping rates which the driver can select . However they don't automatically adjust on their own according to speed and bumps in the road etc.
Direct from MBUSA E Class description of "comfort suspension with selective damping system."

Engineered to ideally balance comfort and control, selective damping automatically adjusts the individual shock absorbers based on the road surface and the driver's current driving style. Valving inside each shock absorber automatically firms up during stronger body motions for sharper handling feedback and stability, and reduces the damping rates during gentler motions for a smoother, more composed ride.

What part of the above description don't you understand?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Direct from MBUSA E Class description of "comfort suspension with selective damping system."

What part of the above description don't you understand?
Here's a description of each setup direct from Mercedes. I was wrong re the air suspension, but correct re Lowered Agility Control suspension in that the damping is passive and ride height is not adjustable..

Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

However they don't automatically adjust on their own according to speed and bumps in the road etc.

Your statement is wrong! It seems that you suffer from alexia because the specs unequivocally state selective damping automatically adjusts the individual shock absorbers based on the road surface and the driver's current driving style.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=ua549;7435908]
Your statement is wrong! It seems that you suffer from alexia because the specs unequivocally state selective damping automatically adjusts the individual shock absorbers based on the road surface and the driver's current driving style.[/QUOTE

Agility Control Suspension with selective damping i.e. Not air body control is passive. The picture from Mercedes website proves that , see above. It says clearly it is passive.
Air Body Control Suspension does however have adaptive damping as the picture from Mercedes states., I did say I was wrong about that.
The OP is asking about Agility Control not Air Body Control Suspension, they are different. My comment re the former having passive dampers is correct.
Also is there a reason why you are replying in such a rude manner , making accusations of disabilities etc.?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you are confused about what agility control suspension is and how it is described by Mercedes Benz in very simple terms. Thus my comment about alexia. I have only referred to (steel) agility control suspension with selective damping. I have not referred to Air Body Control in this thread. In another thread is a pdf diagram from Mercedes showing how agility control suspension works.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM

I think you are confused about what agility control suspension is and how it is described by Mercedes Benz in very simple terms. Thus my comment about alexia. I have only referred to (steel) agility control suspension with selective damping. I have not referred to Air Body Control in this thread. In another thread is a pdf diagram from Mercedes showing how agility control suspension works.

ok well I think you have misquoted the website then. Have a look at this clear picture and explanation of all E class suspension systems. It says the two Agility Control setups , both standard and lowered are passive. This means the damping cannot continuously adjust on its own. The driver can merely select 3 levels of firmness.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 PM

E400
The fact that two reasonable intelligent people cannot agree on what the statement means, only proves my point that the writer was a marketing BS professional.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM

The fact that two reasonable intelligent people cannot agree on what the statement means, only proves my point that the writer was a marketing BS professional.
lol. Quite funny that. I think Mercedes are being quite liberal with their description in some cases, which is why some people might find it confusing .

The picture above shows that it is passive and by definition that means there is no active or pro-active element in that system.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An active element is not required for something to be adaptive, i.e., self adjusting. Passive does not preclude adaptive. A synonym for passive is compliant. The point is that the suspension adapts (self adjusts) to a given external circumstance. Also said of a passive device that it contains no source of electromotive force.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Whatever the lingo is, I notice a difference from comfort and sport mode but it’s not in the suspension

sport steering is more precise, throttle response probably from the lower gear, suspension is probably the least noticeable if at all. I’ve exited some off ramps with some speed in sport mode and well let’s say it’s ok. We are talking about a decent size car with a factory suspension that needs to handle all the potholes the road gives to us LOL

if your interested in a tight suspension, I’d say get coil over kit and drop that thing down.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 Coupe

ok well I think you have misquoted the website then. Have a look at this clear picture and explanation of all E class suspension systems. It says the two Agility Control setups , both standard and lowered are passive. This means the damping cannot continuously adjust on its own. The driver can merely select 3 levels of firmness.
Can the driver really select 3 levels of firmness with the "lowered suspension with w/selective damping system"?
When the W213 E-class sedan and later the E-class coupe were released, multiple reviews talked about three different suspension systems:
1) DIRECT CONTROL, steel suspension, non-driver adjustable dampers (though passively adjusting depending on road conditions)
2) DYNAMIC BODY CONTROL, steel suspension, driver-adjustable damping through Dynamic Select with three levels of firmness "Comfort", "Sport", "Sport+"
3) AIR BODY CONTROL, air suspension, driver-adjustable dampers through Dynamic Select as option 2), but also continuously variable damping connected to GPS, etc.

From Road & Track's review, for instance:
"Mercedes will offer the E-Coupe with three different suspension systems–Direct Control, which utilizes fixed dampers, Dynamic Body Control, with adaptive dampers, and Air Body Control, which brings three-chamber air springs. We didn't have a chance to spend any time with the non-adaptive dampers, but the Dynamic Body Control seems to be the way to go here."

I still haven't understood which of the three suspension systems, if there really are three of them, MB USA brought to the US, but all I read in forums seems to indicate is is the 1) Direct Control one, which is not adjustable in any way by the driver (except for the station wagon in that it does have adjustable rear suspension).
Is that the understanding of everyone in this forum? Does anyone actually own a W213 E-class (sedan or coupe) with option 2) Dynamic Body Control?
I suspect Mercedes purposefully made the description of the non-air suspension systems as ambiguous as possible, as driver-adjustable dampers tends to be a sought-after feature in the C-class and E-class segments.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mobster600
Whatever the lingo is, I notice a difference from comfort and sport mode but it’s not in the suspension

sport steering is more precise, throttle response probably from the lower gear, suspension is probably the least noticeable if at all. I’ve exited some off ramps with some speed in sport mode and well let’s say it’s ok. We are talking about a decent size car with a factory suspension that needs to handle all the potholes the road gives to us LOL

if your interested in a tight suspension, I’d say get coil over kit and drop that thing down.
Yes if you look in Dynamic Ride Control menu you can see when switching between Comfort- Sport- Sport + if changes; damping firmness, steering weight , throttle sensitivity and the shift points on the transmission.
Remember you can alter them separately in Individual as well.
You can really feek the difference in body control and roll in the corners between the different suspension modes on twisty roads ( plenty of them round here) .
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 AM

Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Yes if you look in Dynamic Ride Control menu you can see when switching between Comfort- Sport- Sport + if changes; damping firmness, steering weight , throttle sensitivity and the shift points on the transmission.
Remember you can alter them separately in Individual as well.
You can really feek the difference in body control and roll in the corners between the different suspension modes on twisty roads ( plenty of them round here) .
What suspension system do you have? SA-code?

ONLY, Air Body Control (SA489) or Adaptive Damping System (SA459) will affect body control with the agility setting.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper

ONLY, Air Body Control (SA489) or Adaptive Damping System (SA459) will affect body control with the agility setting.
I don't know the code but it's the Agility Control with Selective Damping ( lowered 15mm) , steel sprung .
This is whats offered in the UK on AMG Line models , possibly a sport for you?
I'm not certain but I thought the base comfort steel sprung version also had adjustable dampers through dynamic select , albeit with softer springs and taller ride height.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by vic viper

Reading through all the posts on the other thread on this suspension confusion: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-question.html
it appears that many members are confusing the passive "selective damping" suspension, option #677, with the adjustable "adaptive damping" suspension, option #459, thanks to the obfuscating marketing lingo from Mercedes. All orders for US-bound E-classes I've seen posted in this forum have 677, none have 459.
When I ordered my E400 coupe, which is on a boat right now, I did not even consider the air suspension, as I am planning to keep the car for over 5 years, the repair costs are prohibitive, and most reviews said the "adaptive damping" suspension, aka "Dynamic Body Control" worked just as well and was even a bit sportier when needed. So, I saw that option 677 for "lowered suspension with selective damping", assumed that was the same as "Dynamic Body Control" (and the dealer was happy to say it was, because no one ever seems to know much about options at dealerships), and never gave a thought to air suspension again, thinking I was getting the clever compromise. Turns out 677 is just a conventional suspension lowered by 15 mm with respect to the sedan's conventional suspension.
It's disappointing, but that's how marketing works. Definitely not a show-stopper, as Dynamic Body Control is just not offered in the E-class for the US, but the lack of transparency and knowledge one finds in the process of buying a $80k+ car always leaves a bitter taste behind...

Last edited by e400c; 04-22-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Here is the snapshot from MB it states the shocks automatically dampen to the road and driver. For both Luxury and Sport lines. I took a pic of my build sheet, says 677, im in the US

Name:  lkw1xyxl.png
Views: 1497
Size:  503 Bytes

ua549 (04-22-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowered Suspension w/Selective Damping System