MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Saved By Automatic Braking? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/707647-saved-automatic-braking.html)

Sunrose305 05-15-2018 03:34 PM

Saved By Automatic Braking?

Recently the forward-looking sensors in my E300 sent me a warning of an impending collision with the suddenly-stopped car in front of me. I had been looking in my rear view mirror at that exact moment to change lanes. I probably would have managed to stop even without the warning but definitely appreciated it. And, If I understand correctly, had I not responded in time the car would have braked automatically.

QUESTION: Have you been saved from a near certain accident by an alert or automatic braking?

Egonvdv 05-16-2018 02:58 AM

I have wife alert. it starts beeping before I even notice anything happening.

ua549 05-16-2018 08:41 AM

+1 (and screaming)

Lanzz 05-16-2018 08:42 AM

Mine has warned me several times, but I have reacted before it could brake automatically. Having seen the videos posted online, it would appear that the automatic braking occurs pretty late - well past the point where most people would react, so I hope never to experience it.

W213Sal 05-16-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sunrose305 (Post 7454690)
Recently the forward-looking sensors in my E300 sent me a warning of an impending collision with the suddenly-stopped car in front of me. I had been looking in my rear view mirror at that exact moment to change lanes. I probably would have managed to stop even without the warning but definitely appreciated it. And, If I understand correctly, had I not responded in time the car would have braked automatically.

QUESTION: Have you been saved from a near certain accident by an alert or automatic braking?

I've had the car 5 months now, I've had it beep several times, i've had it "assist" my braking twice (pre-safe activated, seatbelt tightened etc).

This morning I had a funny experience, was using the drive pilot on my commute to work, there was an intermittent traffic jam, so we went up to 100kph and then slowed right down to 20kph pretty quick, i had the distance set to max, and the car started slamming on the brakes even though there was a good bit of distance between me and the car in front. I saw in my rear view mirror, a guy in an old banger of a minivan with probably no disc brakes even was swerving all over the place trying not to bum rush my expensive merc, (nearly going into the divider in the process of trying to avoid me) I had to tap on my accelerator to cancel the drive pilot braking and disengage the drive pilot. I don't "brake check" anyone ever, but this was was one of those extremely-dangerous-but-hilarious situations. Hope the lad didn't have a heart attack.

kngreene 05-16-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by W213Sal (Post 7455329)
I've had the car 5 months now, I've had it beep several times, i've had it "assist" my braking twice (pre-safe activated, seatbelt tightened etc).

This morning I had a funny experience, was using the drive pilot on my commute to work, there was an intermittent traffic jam, so we went up to 100kph and then slowed right down to 20kph pretty quick, i had the distance set to max, and the car started slamming on the brakes even though there was a good bit of distance between me and the car in front. I saw in my rear view mirror, a guy in an old banger of a minivan with probably no disc brakes even was swerving all over the place trying not to bum rush my expensive merc, (nearly going into the divider in the process of trying to avoid me) I had to tap on my accelerator to cancel the drive pilot braking and disengage the drive pilot. I don't "brake check" anyone ever, but this was was one of those extremely-dangerous-but-hilarious situations. Hope the lad didn't have a heart attack.

I have had the emergency braking activate a few times as well. However, it has also happened for no reason about 3 times. It seems that some bumpy and pothole-filled roads can be read as stationary objects by the assist system. Imagine driving along an empty road only to have the seatbelt suddenly tighten and your brakes go to full ABS.... not very fun.

W213Sal 05-16-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by kngreene (Post 7455338)
I have had the emergency braking activate a few times as well. However, it has also happened for no reason about 3 times. It seems that some bumpy and pothole-filled roads can be read as stationary objects by the assist system. Imagine driving along an empty road only to have the seatbelt suddenly tighten and your brakes go to full ABS.... not very fun.

I had that happened once as well, it was a flat road slight hill no potholes, it was the 2nd day of my new car was pretty scary! others users have had it worse in terms of "ghost braking"

also braked the other day cause i was reversing out and a dog came in the path of the car (I knew about the dog from the rear view cam and it was too far away, plus I was reversing at a snail's pace), I was going to give out to my car for being so dumb, but good to know it works in reverse too I guess

The_Judge 05-16-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by W213Sal (Post 7455348)
I had that happened once as well, it was a flat road slight hill no potholes, it was the 2nd day of my new car was pretty scary! others users have had it worse in terms of "ghost braking"

also braked the other day cause i was reversing out and a dog came in the path of the car (I knew about the dog from the rear view cam and it was too far away, plus I was reversing at a snail's pace), I was going to give out to my car for being so dumb, but good to know it works in reverse too I guess

Same here – happened once recently, no idea why, but the brakes were applied for only about a second. Odd.

dudley07726 05-16-2018 06:53 PM

My wife was backing out of a diagonal parking spot, second from the last spot in the row towards the end as some redneck in a raised 4x4 comes turning into the row my wife was parked in. She said he turned into it so fast without even looking that someone (her) was backing out. The car stopped itself before it even allowed her to back out further and get hit in the side by this guy. That’s why I purchased this car for her.

xrayted 05-17-2018 09:43 AM

Yes. I've had the car automatically brake three times.

Once was legitimate - coming around a curve and some knucklehead darted out from driveway at the last second without looking. The system totally saved me...
Second was ghost braking - at night, raining heavily, on a bumpy up-and-down road, no one in front of me. Not sure why the brakes fired off but can only guess it was confused by the rain and quickly changing road elevation.
Third was while backing up around the curved section of road at airport arrivals. I think the radar sensed the other cars coming around the bend as an impending collision and brought the car to a quick complete stop.

NFAREVIEW 05-18-2018 02:53 PM

About a month ago we had someone come up from behind so fast that it beeped and raised the seats and activated the seatbelt tensioner. I almost had a heart attack because I was sleeping in the passenger seat as we drove home from Disney lol.

NFAREVIEW 05-18-2018 02:55 PM

I wanted to add that when I come up to an E Class when on one of my motorcycles I get to relax a little bit as I trust that car more than others on the road not to side swipe me lol.

Sunrose305 05-18-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW (Post 7457344)
About a month ago we had someone come up from behind so fast that it beeped and raised the seats and activated the seatbelt tensioner. I almost had a heart attack because I was sleeping in the passenger seat as we drove home from Disney lol.

Very interesting. I did not know the car also watched from behind in that manner (aside from slow speed backing out of a parking space, etc).

ItalianJoe1 05-18-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sunrose305 (Post 7457546)
Very interesting. I did not know the car also watched from behind in that manner (aside from slow speed backing out of a parking space, etc).

Yep, the car uses all the sensors (front and rear) to detect incoming collisions and react accordingly. Even if you can't avoid it, the system will do whatever it can to mitigate the damage. It reacts when the collision is within 0.6 seconds of happening, so it is very last minute, but even that half a second of action can reduce the force of the impact by half, which is huge when it comes to preventing injuries, which is the goal.

The safety systems in the 213 are really amazing, when you see the car completely stop itself with no driver intervention because someone walks out in front of it, it's quite impressive.

jester1 05-21-2018 06:44 AM

Had my wife's Volvo S90 yesterday that has automatic braking.I was in the cruise control that brings you to a stop when traffic stops in front of you just like my MB.Traveling at 65mph,this was the first time I was traveling too fast & got too close to stopped car in front that I slammed on the brakes as I closed on its rear end.Maybe it would have stopped but I didn't trust it this time.

NFAREVIEW 05-21-2018 06:40 PM

This is what our car did minus us braking. We were just cruising along and a car came up fast behind us on the interstate. It beeped, raised the seats, and tightened the belts...and about made me poo my pants lol.

Wassaby 05-22-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by NFAREVIEW (Post 7457344)

That is Rear End Collision system and is part of the Driver Assist Package. If you don't have DRP, there's no sensors to protect you for impact. Is also applying maximum brake if you're at full stop so you don't rear end someone if you get hit.

Jcwalsh 05-22-2018 11:27 PM

Not so sure its working

I can only assume that the auto brake assist is working, but I have gotten too close for comfort to not hit the brakes. My Infiniti braked well ahead of any reaction which was not terribly bad since I live in a fairly congested area. I have read on this forum that a person placed two 3 foot square empty boxes and approached them at 20 mph. He crashed through them , the car not stopping at all.

When in cruise control mode it breaking works great. Just worried when pulling up to a wall when parking. Doesn’t seem to stop my vehicle, or maybe it will? I have 2018 GLE AMG 43 with Distronic, Brake assist with Cross traffic function. Distronic works really well. Not so confident in parking lots though.

Long Islander 05-23-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wassaby (Post 7460278)
Is also applying maximum brake if you're at full stop so you don't rear end someone if you get hit.

Is this something you have only if you have the Premium 3 package?

Silverjash 05-23-2018 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sunrose305 (Post 7454690)

Until I see mine in action I just don’t trust it and most times I don’t even believe it’s possible for it to automatically stop if not for my braking. But I’m glad to hear of yours working as designed.

Silverjash 05-23-2018 11:21 PM

There are brake assist options to choose in Vehicle settings: Early, Medium, and Late that we can tweek.