MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   W213 Weight Reduction and Build Quality (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/707859-w213-weight-reduction-build-quality.html)

mister__p 05-17-2018 01:00 PM

W213 Weight Reduction and Build Quality

Hi all

I recently learned that the W213 (E250, E300) is lighter than the equivalent W212 by a whopping 140KGs ( 1540KGs vs 1680KGs ) respectively and read this was due to the latest design using more aluminium and high strength steel.

I also came across many similar posts on various forums inc. germancarforum harshly criticising the W213's build quality specifically the interior for looking nice but feeling cheap and rattling ( esp AMG models with larger rims )

Can anyone here shed some light on questions/concerns I have

1. Is the W213 weight reduction mostly due to lighter aluminium panels and use of HS steel as stated by some reviewers or could there be some compromises in materials to save weight related to the perceived lower build quality ?

2. Is the W213 interior really as bad as some have said compared to previous generations? or are the posts I read just from a bunch of haters/trollers or unfortunate early purchasers?

During my test drives and inspections before my recent order, I did not come across any issues and thought the car looked, felt and sounded great but it was a demo car and I didn't have that much time so it would have overlooked a lot in the excitment

Thanks

Cambridgehank 05-17-2018 01:06 PM

I have had my E400 for 2 months now. I do not find the interior to as bad as some of the reviews I have read. Of course this is my first MB so I am comparing it to a Toyota.

Cao Black 05-17-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mister__p (Post 7456316)
Hi all

I recently learned that the W213 (E250, E300) is lighter than the equivalent W212 by a whopping 140KGs ( 1540KGs vs 1680KGs ) respectively and read this was due to the latest design using more aluminium and high strength steel.

I also came across many similar posts on various forums inc. germancarforum harshly criticising the W213's build quality specifically the interior for looking nice but feeling cheap and rattling ( esp AMG models with larger rims )

Can anyone here shed some light on questions/concerns I have

1. Is the W213 weight reduction mostly due to lighter aluminium panels and use of HS steel as stated by some reviewers or could there be some compromises in materials to save weight related to the perceived lower build quality ?

2. Is the W213 interior really as bad as some have said compared to previous generations? or are the posts I read just from a bunch of haters/trollers or unfortunate early purchasers?

During my test drives and inspections before my recent order, I did not come across any issues and thought the car looked, felt and sounded great but it was a demo car and I didn't have that much time so it would have overlooked a lot in the excitment

Thanks

Mercedes states that the weight reduction is, as you pointed out, due to the use of aluminum and hi-strength steel. They are not the only manufacturer to make those claims. Without any way to prove or disprove their claims I simply accept them.

The interior quality is a different matter. I have the 19" AMG wheels and the P2 standard interior (non-leather with wide cockpit). I could not be happier with the style, appearance and build quality. There are one of two "cheap" plastic pieces that could be replaced with higher quality materials, but overall, IMO, the interior is industry and class leading, and a step above my previous W212 interiors, which had become dated. Obviously I can't speak for other buyers, but I have experienced no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. Except for the effects of run-flat tires that seem to come standard on the 19" wheels, the interior is quiet and comfortable, and very very attractive.

joshg1001 05-17-2018 04:46 PM

Multiple body panels are now made of aluminum and I welcome the weight reduction. I don’t think that there is necessarily any correlation between that and rattled. I have an early build E309 with P3 and 19 wheels. The rattles started coming a few months after ownership. It’s the price I have accepted to pay for a early build model. Nothing’s perfect out there and you may kick out. However, everything feels and looks good. Rattled are beneath the surface.

CarFan1 05-17-2018 08:18 PM

In two months I’ve heard no rattles or seen any sign of cost cutting. My complaint is the center console which I horribly scratched with a vacuum hose at a do it yourself car wash two days after purchase.. I plan to order a wooden one when I am home for a bit this summer. I’m not even sure that’s a price issue perse, perhaps it is. But it’s my only complaint. My guests heap praises when riding in the car and no one has mentioned any issues regarding build quality. I have 18 inch wheels and the luxury package and I love the ride.

visualguy 05-17-2018 08:52 PM

Newer cars don't feel as solid. For example, the doors - compare the previous-generation 5-series door to the current 5-series or E-Class. The difference is quite noticeable. The new cars still do great in crash testing, so this doesn't lead to reduced safety, but you don't get the same level of solid feel that used to be there.

michaelleongcl 05-17-2018 09:08 PM

The centre console area together with the rear aircon vents are the areas which the lowest build quality.
However it is true that the w212 feels more solid overall. But the w213 interior wins hands down aesthetically.

BF3PDZ 05-17-2018 10:05 PM

Have you guys check the overhead sun glass storage compartment, in the W205, that compartment is lined with felt trim, compare to the W213 which is not trimmed at all. Also the fabric trim inside the center armrest storage is thin, poorly cut out and not even fitted properly.

mister__p 05-17-2018 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BF3PDZ (Post 7456770)
Have you guys check the overhead sun glass storage compartment, in the W205, that compartment is lined with felt trim, compare to the W213 which is not trimmed at all. Also the fabric trim inside the center armrest storage is thin, poorly cut out and not even fitted properly.

I recall one person mentioning the door bins are also not lined in the W213 which I would have expected it in such a car.

Thanks for all your feedback

joshg1001 05-18-2018 12:07 AM

Im really surprised to hear that as they pretty much share the same design and I would guess maybe even the same part number.

Door bins are not lined with felt but they are soft touch even on the inside. Same material as the upper door panels if you dont have the mb-tex stitching

visualguy 05-18-2018 12:22 AM

They try to cut every cent of cost they can even in these relatively expensive cars. BMW is doing the same. The small storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel on the 5-series used to be lined with felt, and now they removed the felt. Also, BMW made many of the switches cheaper in the new model. It's the way this business works... If they can cut some cost and get away with it along with their competitors, they do it. I don't mind the interior cost cutting so much. The bigger problem is cost-cutting in other areas...

BF3PDZ 05-18-2018 01:13 AM

I have both the W205 and the W213 and I can also confirm that on the W213, the door bins are not lined with felt or rubber mats at the bottom.It is disappointing to see all these cost cutting here and there.

ua549 05-18-2018 07:56 AM

My BMW 5 Series seems cheap and the doors tinny compared to my E300 (early build MY18) which feels very solid and very well assembled.

Egonvdv 05-18-2018 08:06 AM

I had a w212 before and don't think there's a big quality difference in the interior.
(though the piano black is a b*tch to keep scratch free & clean )

NFAREVIEW 05-18-2018 02:46 PM

Our W213 feels well built and solid. Coming from a Lexus it feels even better. Our interior is good to go and the doors shut nice and solid. I think those who are comparing the old vs new are feeling the difference in weight and not necessarily the quality.

joshg1001 05-18-2018 09:22 PM

My sister has a w205 and I think the sound of her doors is more solid, with that classic mercedes latch sound than my E, which sounds more hollow.

gfmohn 05-20-2018 10:01 PM

The Tin Drum

Originally Posted by joshg1001 (Post 7457613)
My sister has a w205 and I think the sound of her doors is more solid, with that classic mercedes latch sound than my E, which sounds more hollow.

I have read in the W205 forum that the solid sound of the W205 doors is due to a 12" square sheet of steel cemented in the center of the door panel.