MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/709498-wireless-charger-activates-apple-pay.html)

Sunrose305 06-02-2018 10:28 AM

Wireless Charger Activates Apple Pay?

When I place my iPhone X on the wireless charging pad in the console of my E300 it activates the Apple Pay feature showing an image of my credit card and says "double-click to pay." No idea why. Has anyone else had this happen? Oh...and it also charges the phone.

ua549 06-02-2018 11:20 AM

Wireless charging has nothing to do with Apple Pay. It is the NFC signal emanating from the console lid. There are several threads about this issue. Do a search.

xrayted 06-03-2018 12:58 PM

The iPhone has a NFC chip in it but Apple chooses to use that for it Apple Pay which is why you are seeing it pop up every time it gets near the signal.

78degrees 06-03-2018 04:50 PM

Just switch off NFC in the car and Apple Pay will not start again.

bellavance 06-05-2018 06:29 PM

What's the use of NFC in the car anyway?

ua549 06-06-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by bellavance (Post 7471516)
What's the use of NFC in the car anyway?

NFC is used for connecting with a digital device being used as a key.

bellavance 06-06-2018 08:59 AM

Digital Device being used as a Key.

Are such devices presently available?

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7471932)
NFC is used for connecting with a digital device being used as a key.

LogicalApex 06-06-2018 09:27 AM

NFC can be used to make bluetooth pairing really easy be removing the "code sharing" step where you need to confirm that both devices are showing the same code. You can get a quick idea from the quick summary from Bose for their wireless headphones. Apple currently doesn't support this and only uses NFC for Apple Pay so it opens Apple Pay whenever it sees NFC.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/a...-nfc-qc35.html

ua549 06-06-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bellavance (Post 7471937)
Are such devices presently available?

The device can be a smartphone or a tablet. Currently the "key" service is not available for US E Class models.
That said NFC is used to connect a smartphone to the entertainment system when the phone is placed on the charging pad.
During this year's CES, Mercedes-Benz announced that its new E-Class is enabled with capacitive aerial coupling. By simply placing the device on the charging area on the front part of the center console, the smartphone connects to the multimedia system via NFC. Moreover, while using NFC, the customer's smartphone becomes the digital vehicle key with which the car can be locked and unlocked as well as started.

rbrylaw 08-05-2018 09:05 PM

Can anyone tell me where the setting to turn off NFC is in Comand settings?

ua549 08-06-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7521639)
Can anyone tell me where the setting to turn off NFC is in Comand settings?

Go to System/Connectivity menu. Untick the NFC box.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7521856)
Go to System/Connectivity menu. Untick the NFC box.

Thanks. I'll give that a try later.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7521873)
Thanks. I'll give that a try later.

I just went to the garage and turned off the NFC chip in my car. Maybe it's not a big deal, but now when I place my iPhone in the charging cradle it just starts charging and for whatever reason, Car Play started faster as well!

Scott in H-town 08-06-2018 10:41 AM

Is CarPlay wireless? My wife's SLC has to be plugged in via cable to use CarPlay otherwise it's just bluetooth streaming.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scott in H-town (Post 7521915)
Is CarPlay wireless? My wife's SLC has to be plugged in via cable to use CarPlay otherwise it's just bluetooth streaming.

Unfortunately, Car Play is not wireless. I don't think there are many if any in the US that are. There's a USB plug next to the charging pad, specifically to connect the iPhone, via USB and Lightning Jack (you have to provide the chord) to activate Car Play.

Scott in H-town 08-06-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7521918)
Unfortunately, Car Play is not wireless. I don't think there are many if any in the US that are. There's a USB plug next to the charging pad, specifically to connect the iPhone, via USB and Lightning Jack (you have to provide the chord) to activate Car Play.

Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scott in H-town (Post 7521944)
Ok. I had read that some BMW's have it wireless now. If it's connected via wire, then the charging pad is redundant, right?

I'll have to check out whether the charging pad is redundant or not. Either way, it's nice to have a specific cubby to keep the phone in while driving. TBH, I don't really need my phone to charge while driving. My phone is charged at night while I sleep and the battery lasts me all day, often into two full days on a single charge.

ua549 08-06-2018 01:54 PM

You must not use you iPhone very much. The most optimistic specs say 11.5 hours of video watching. Using the phone for voice and data consumes much more power. My sister-in-law has an iPhone X and has to charge it twice a day.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7522082)
You must not use you iPhone very much. The most optimistic specs say 11.5 hours of video watching. Using the phone for voice and data consumes much more power. My sister-in-law has an iPhone X and has to charge it twice a day.

I use my phone all day. I don't stream video much, but I make and receive lots of calls for work and I stream Pandora a lot. Still, my battery lasts a loooooong time.

cte21 08-06-2018 08:31 PM

Every MINI from 2018 forward has wireless CarPlay, and I believe the new 5-series does as well. I was hoping Mercedes would employ this as well.

rbrylaw 08-08-2018 11:25 AM

Hey Scott,

I did look last night to see if the phone is plugged in and connected to Apple Car Play, if the phone is charging even if not on the charging pad and it actually is. So yes, plugged in for Apple Car Play, the charging mat is redundant.

Scott in H-town 08-08-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7523789)
Hey Scott,

I did look last night to see if the phone is plugged in and connected to Apple Car Play, if the phone is charging even if not on the charging pad and it actually is. So yes, plugged in for Apple Car Play, the charging mat is redundant.

That was my guess. Thank you for confirming!
What's nice is, you could actually charge your phone and another phone at the same time fairly easily.

rbrylaw 08-08-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scott in H-town (Post 7523795)
That was my guess. Thank you for confirming!
What's nice is, you could actually charge your phone and another phone at the same time fairly easily.

Yes, you could actually charge up to 4 phones at the same time.

The charging mat
The USB for Apple Car Play
Two USB ports in the center console

And of course with an adapter, there is a 12v post in the back for your passengers, but you'd need a 12v to USB converter in there, which is easy enough to get.

Ps: what's the status on the E300 you're considering?

Scott in H-town 08-08-2018 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7523799)
Yes, you could actually charge up to 4 phones at the same time.

The charging mat
The USB for Apple Car Play
Two USB ports in the center console

And of course with an adapter, there is a 12v post in the back for your passengers, but you'd need a 12v to USB converter in there, which is easy enough to get.

Ps: what's the status on the E300 you're considering?

True!

As for me, I'm still looking. There's the blue one, but I found a 2018 (silver) with 6k miles for close to same price. It only lacks the panoramic roof and isn't my first choice in color, but silver never looks dirty, so there's that... :)
Then, my ADHD has me also looking at a E400 Coupe ... much more expensive, but WOW.

rbrylaw 08-08-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scott in H-town (Post 7523982)
True!

As for me, I'm still looking. There's the blue one, but I found a 2018 (silver) with 6k miles for close to same price. It only lacks the panoramic roof and isn't my first choice in color, but silver never looks dirty, so there's that... :)
Then, my ADHD has me also looking at a E400 Coupe ... much more expensive, but WOW.

I had a 2012 E350 Coupe for a couple years. It was nice, but the lack of 4 doors ultimately became a nuisance. I marvel at how they remove 2 doors and charge more for what is essentially the same car! I like the Panoramic Rood, but TBT, I don't open sunroofs all that often, so I'm not sure it would be that important an option to me. My new E400 did come with one however.

Happy E hunting!