2017 E300 - Transmission Dead...I think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 Sport/ Diamond White
2017 E300 - Transmission Dead...I think

Hello all,

I wanted to see if anyone has had any transmission problems on their new E300? I have a 2017 E300 Luxury P2. I have 15,000 miles on it. I took the car to the dealer on June 13th to have the proximity sensors checked. I could literally get within inches of a concrete wall and while the color grid would come up on the nav screen to indicate proximity.....not a single audible tone or beep from the car at all. So, I took it in to have this checked and while there I also asked if they could check the shifting of the car as it jerked just a bit out of the norm from 1st to 2nd gear.

So, they came back and said they fixed the audible proximity issues......something to do with the dealer internally upping the volume on their end to make the warnings more audible to me??? Who knows..... Then they tell me that well......the problem with the shifting is the brain that controls the transmission. It's dead. Ok....how long to get the part for that....they say 10-13 days from Germany....BUT.....they have no ETA. Finally get that part in and now they say they cannot get the car to shift out of park.....so waiting now on them to converse with Germany on trying to fix that issue OR put a whole new transmission in the car (a cost of about $10K that luckily is under warranty) and call it a day.

The dealer will have had my car for one month this Friday the 13th. I have driven 3 Infiniti's over the last 15 years ('95 J30t, '05 G35 Coupe, '10 FX35) with the most costly repair being a camshaft issue on the J30t I had and that's it. Never had a car in the shop for more than 2 days....certainly not a full month. Needless to say any excitement I had about owning my first Mercedes has been eliminated....can't say that I will ever own another one. I should not have any issues on a new car with 15,000 miles but certainly not issues with the transmission.

My question is.....have any of you had this type of issue with your transmission or any issues at all with your transmission? Just curious. I hope to one day get my car back......can't even remember what it feels like to drive it at this point. Although the new GLE they have had me in for the last month almost is very nice.

Thank you all for the feedback and have a great week!
B
Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts
2021 GLE350, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300 Sedan
Interesting - I am surprised that you are having such issues with so few miles... I have 8K miles on my 2017 and I don't have anything more than the occasional (very) slow downshift when I slow to a crawl and then accelerate again... Can't imagine how it takes a month to sort that out - keep us posted.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 AM

I will keep you posted. I agree.....transmission issues this early on is something I was not expecting. I normally do not buy first model years of a new car/redesign so I would expect some rattles or fit and finish issues but again not transmission. I will post more when Park Place gives me more feedback. Thank you for your post.

B
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
I hear ya Dallas..... my wife had a 2004 Lexus GS430.... 156k miles in 12 yrs.... only thing that actually broke was the led in the seat heater switch... switch still worked... we wanted reliability while the kids where in school... but alas as fast as it was it was liking driving a buick.... no steering feel or any feel really... was just a nice appliance.... but then the kids graduate and we went back to German cars that drive nice and have good feel to them.... wish that didn't come with less reliability but for some reason it seems that way
Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I've never had a transmission problem in any of my MB cars over the past 59 years and over a million miles. That said your issue seems to be electronic rather than mechanical and your dealer seems to be befuddled.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Yes, it appears the issue is entirely electrical.....not mechanical. They cannot seem to figure out how to fix the electrical issue so their answer is leaning towards replacing the entire transmission....my understanding is replacing electrical and mechanical and all.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Good morning everyone....
Just thought I would give an update. Day 41 of the E300 being in the shop. Hoping to maybe get it back this week but we will see. The dealer is telling me that I am apparently one of the very first people....if not first person....to pick up on this shifting issue. Who knows if that is accurate but that is what I have been told anyway. The dealer and Germany are speaking daily apparently and what Germany has determined is that there was a large batch of these transmission brains (not sure of the actual part name) that were produced and are bad. Not sure of the production dates of that specific batch of bad parts but my Service Advisor is saying that there is likely a very large number of '17 E300's on the road with this bad part and driver's have just not picked up on it yet.

I am supposed to have a new part from a whole new batch in today for them to fix the car and return it to me but I will believe that when it happens. Sounds ike they will not replace the entire transmission, which they shouldn't as the issue is not mechanical but electrical, but would be great to get my car back soon. Hoping no one else has to deal with this but if you start to have a bit jerky shifting....especially from 1st to 2nd then you may have this issue. Anyway, just thought I would give an update. No resolution yet but hopeful it gets fixed this week.

Hope everyone has a great week. Thank you all for the continued advice on here. I love reading the forum and learning more about the car.
B
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
Originally Posted by Dallasite
Good morning everyone....
Just thought I would give an update. Day 41 of the E300 being in the shop. Hoping to maybe get it back this week but we will see. The dealer is telling me that I am apparently one of the very first people....if not first person....to pick up on this shifting issue. Who knows if that is accurate but that is what I have been told anyway. The dealer and Germany are speaking daily apparently and what Germany has determined is that there was a large batch of these transmission brains (not sure of the actual part name) that were produced and are bad. Not sure of the production dates of that specific batch of bad parts but my Service Advisor is saying that there is likely a very large number of '17 E300's on the road with this bad part and driver's have just not picked up on it yet.

I am supposed to have a new part from a whole new batch in today for them to fix the car and return it to me but I will believe that when it happens. Sounds ike they will not replace the entire transmission, which they shouldn't as the issue is not mechanical but electrical, but would be great to get my car back soon. Hoping no one else has to deal with this but if you start to have a bit jerky shifting....especially from 1st to 2nd then you may have this issue. Anyway, just thought I would give an update. No resolution yet but hopeful it gets fixed this week.

Hope everyone has a great week. Thank you all for the continued advice on here. I love reading the forum and learning more about the car.
B
you should push for a buy back if it comes back without the fix. 41 days is ridiculous. though my vehicle has been in service for 3 weeks already 2 times each...