MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Has anyone replaced their run-flats to non run-flat tires? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/713483-has-anyone-replaced-their-run-flats-non-run-flat-tires.html)

jhpmbusa 07-10-2018 11:28 PM

Has anyone replaced their run-flats to non run-flat tires?

Has anyone replaced their run-flats to non run-flat tires?

I hear by doing this it makes a big difference in terms of ride quality - please real experiences only. haha. not saying you can't comment. but want real experiences rather than just recommendations/opinions - hope you understand =)

The_Judge 07-11-2018 11:09 AM

Big issue with replacing the stock run-flats with regular tires is the lack of a spare. You can buy a spare wheel and tire, but that's another expense and it would take up too much of the trunk.

As for ride quality, try adjusting the tire pressure before making a decision. I've found that inflating the run-flats on my car above the recommended PSI results in a harsh ride, and several others have said that pressures below the recommended levels also result in a harsh ride. I now keep my tires at the PSI stated on the inside of the gas flap, and I'm pretty happy with the ride I'm getting.

EbonyBenz 08-03-2018 09:07 PM

I replaced my stock 245/45R18 Goodyear run flats with Hankook Ventus Noble S2 245/45R19. Now, before all the keyboard warriors come out of the woodworks, I understand that adding a bit more tire will throw my speedometer off a bit. I don’t care. The ride improved slightly which I am ok with considering I bumped up in wheel size. The ride height went up about .25” to .50” and now I can clear a curb easily. I have 12mm spacers in the front and 14mm on the rear. Offset on all 4 wheels is at 42mm. The stance and fit or on point now. As for spare, run flats are a joke and you shouldn’t drive on them any way. Pull over and call roadside. I do mostly city driving, so it works for me. I highly recommend it. Wheels are Niche Gamma 5x112 42mm. https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e3dad8816.jpeghttps://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...63dc81169.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...57938c901.jpeg

rbrylaw 08-03-2018 10:17 PM

If you don't want keyboard warriors don't make opinionated claims as fact. Run Flats aren't a joke and I've had no issue riding on them. In fact, I was very happy to have the ability to safely make it to my dealer when a nail decided to take up residence in one of my tires not long ago. As to what you did for your car, if you're happier with the speedometer being off a bit, cool for you.

EbonyBenz 08-03-2018 10:35 PM

But how is saying that run flats are a joke an opinionated fact? Just my opinion, that's all. I sell these cars every day and see these "extended mobility" tires come in pieces on a flatbed all the time. The OP asked for real-life experiences, so I shared mine and so did you. It's all good.

rbrylaw 08-03-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by EbonyBenz (Post 7520394)
But how is saying that run flats are a joke an opinionated fact? Just my opinion, that's all. I sell these cars every day and see these "extended mobility" tires come in pieces on a flatbed all the time. The OP asked for real-life experiences, so I shared mine and so did you. It's all good.

Because it's your opinion. You said "run flats are joke." They're not. And "you shouldn't drive on them." Your opinion, and not one I share.

If you had said simply you don't want or like run flats and you changed yours, that's fine. But don't tell me what I should or shouldn't drive on.

Mbracer26 08-04-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7520399)
Because it's your opinion. You said "run flats are joke." They're not. And "you shouldn't drive on them." Your opinion, and not one I share.

If you had said simply you don't want or like run flats and you changed yours, that's fine. But don't tell me what I should or shouldn't drive on.

The Run flat tires on my car are worn out at 14k miles, both front and back. Asked the dealer wtf they said, you are driving the car too hard. Haha ok...They are at .5mm. I drive highway everyday 90% and my cars been sleeping at service majority of the time that ive had it. The car drives like **** and doesn't handle potholes as it should. Run flats are the worst.

rbrylaw 08-04-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mbracer26 (Post 7520920)
The Run flat tires on my car are worn out at 14k miles, both front and back. Asked the dealer wtf they said, you are driving the car too hard. Haha ok...They are at .5mm. I drive highway everyday 90% and my cars been sleeping at service majority of the time that ive had it. The car drives like **** and doesn't handle potholes as it should. Run flats are the worst.

Sorry your tires wore out so fast, but I still don't agree they are the worst. I drove my C300 for 3 years, which I traded today for an E400 and the tires were wearing just fine on them. Perhaps you do drive hard?

ua549 08-04-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mbracer26 (Post 7520920)

Were the tires Michelin? The last 2 sets of Michelins I had wore out at less than 10,000 miles on the tires. The first set was replaced by Michelin free. The second set was replaced again by Michelin with 5,500 miles on them. This was with very conservative all town driving. I sold the car with 100 miles on a new set of tires. When I bought my E300 I specified Pirelli tires. They are a year old and wearing well.

EbonyBenz 08-04-2018 07:01 PM

Whoa! Better be careful with your opinions or the Run-flat Police might get you. :cop: :rcain:

rbrylaw 08-04-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by EbonyBenz (Post 7520955)
Whoa! Better be careful with your opinions or the Run-flat Police might get you. :cop: :rcain:

That's right. Trooper RFT at your service! In all seriousness, RFT's are a compromise. But they're not atrocious as some here seem to claim. My Pirelli's were at 15K miles on the car I traded today, showing virtually no signs of wear. Other's may have a different experience and it does depend on how one drives too.

My new E400 I picked up today came with Continental ProContact 19". If I get near 20K miles, I'll be happy. If I get more, I'll be delighted. My boss's S550, with Continental's lasted 21K miles before needing to be replaced. another good friend with a S550, got 19K miles out of whatever tire they put on his car. This is the nature of RFT. We're not going to get 40 - 50K miles out of them. But they don't leave us stranded if they're punctured, so again, it's a compromise.

Mbracer26 08-06-2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7520950)
Were the tires Michelin? The last 2 sets of Michelins I had wore out at less than 10,000 miles on the tires. The first set was replaced by Michelin free. The second set was replaced again by Michelin with 5,500 miles on them. This was with very conservative all town driving. I sold the car with 100 miles on a new set of tires. When I bought my E300 I specified Pirelli tires. They are a year old and wearing well.

I think they are bf goodrich, complete garbage. my non runflats go out to about 45k miles. conti. procontact or michelins.Never had a issue with them. the continentels do start to run rougher as it ages and louder.

Mbracer26 08-06-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7520925)
Sorry your tires wore out so fast, but I still don't agree they are the worst. I drove my C300 for 3 years, which I traded today for an E400 and the tires were wearing just fine on them. Perhaps you do drive hard?

none at all, its always highway driving and i even put my car in E-mode. My regular tires gave me 45k all the time. It might be the brand of tires that mercedes has installed.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mbracer26 (Post 7522204)
none at all, its always highway driving and i even put my car in E-mode. My regular tires gave me 45k all the time. It might be the brand of tires that mercedes has installed.

You may have stated this, but are you rolling around on 18" or 19" tires? As tires go lower profile, they wear out faster. It's the nature of the beast.

superangrypenguin 08-06-2018 09:06 PM

Most RFTs have terrible mileage lifespans. Don't ask me why though.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7522495)
Most RFTs have terrible mileage lifespans. Don't ask me why though.

A study by J.D. Power found that people replaced their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using conventional tires. Opinions differ on the reason, but one theory is that tire makers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.

superangrypenguin 08-06-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7522512)
A study by J.D. Power found that people replaced their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using conventional tires. Opinions differ on the reason, but one theory is that tire makers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.

Learned something new today. Thank you @rbrylaw

jhpmbusa 08-06-2018 10:35 PM

Makes perfect sense. My C300 I returned with about 32k miles on the continental procontacts. was close to bald but still had some tread. RFT 2015 C300 oem tires.

Mbracer26 08-07-2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7522210)
You may have stated this, but are you rolling around on 18" or 19" tires? As tires go lower profile, they wear out faster. It's the nature of the beast.

my w212 had the 19" amg rims on them, this one has the 18"rims, bf goodrich tires.

rbrylaw 08-07-2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mbracer26 (Post 7523170)
my w212 had the 19" amg rims on them, this one has the 18"rims, bf goodrich tires.

I would have expected you'd get more mileage out of the 18." As I previously mentioned, my C300, which I traded in this past Saturday with 18" Pirelli RFT had 15K miles on them and they weren't showing any signs of wear.

baadmon 11-23-2019 05:29 PM

In my quest to purchase my first set of new tires for my car I had thought of purchasing non-run flats, but then came to my senses and purchased the identical run-flats that initially came on the car when purchased.

adityab 12-04-2019 05:36 PM

There are definitely tradeoffs. In the past, ive swapped RFTs for go flats and found that greatly improved ride comfort came at the expense of softer handling and less steering feel. The rigidity of RFTs that makes them ride firmer also has some upsides that you lose when you go with conventional rubber.

The_Judge 12-05-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by adityab (Post 7919535)
There are definitely tradeoffs. In the past, ive swapped RFTs for go flats and found that greatly improved ride comfort came at the expense of softer handling and less steering feel. The rigidity of RFTs that makes them ride firmer also has some upsides that you lose when you go with conventional rubber.

That's not been my experience. Compared to the RFTs that came with my car, the "regular" tires that replaced them provide not only a much more comfortable ride but BETTER handling and road feel.

adityab 12-05-2019 10:57 AM

Good to know! I think most people have had your experience.

2012 merc amg 12-05-2019 08:16 PM

I guess it really depends on what Regular tires you go with and how good a handling tire they are. I plan on going with the michelin Pilot super sports non run flats next time around. The run flats are heavy, thick non compliant sidewalls and all the rest. I'm done with them after these Michelin Primacy Run flats wear out. The car will ride and handle a lot better with the PSS tires. The only reason I'm not going with the newer 4S tires is because the PSS are very reasonable in my size at only 225 each for the 245/40/19 inch tires.