E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53

Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
The V6 came off the modular design of the V8. The other advantage of the V6 over the I6 is that it is more compact and takes up less space. The inherent disadvantages have been already discussed and they are significant.

The I4 is 2/3 of the I6. Going forward there will only be the mild hybrid I4 and I6,

There is another lengthy thread about the E350 an I4 mild hybrid that was originally to be the 2019 E350. That engine was in the "sweet spot": 306 HP, much more torque (the 48 volt battery supplying power) and mileage comparable to the present I4. A real winner that I thought would make the E450 at $3000 more unnecessary.

However that model was eliminated and for 2019 we have E300, same as the 2018 and as we all know the E400 became the E450.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by jsclarke
I'm a sucker for new technology- and frankly when I read about the E53 I "had to have one". A straight six- perfectly balanced without counterweights. Two, twin-scroll turbochargers and a 48v electric supercharger, and a beltless design with 0-15 MPH handled by electric motor. It has air suspension stock- so I'd expect the ride would be pretty good at a comfort setting. I've read the current discount for European delivery is 7% of the E43, but on other models it drops to 5%. That's why I figured I'd eek out a discount by getting the car in Stuggart.
does anyone know how much of this technology is actually new? It seems MB has been using inline 6 in many their models across the globe. But what about 48v system and the new amg 9g tct transmission?
thNks for great insights
Old 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Per this article, it seems they have had the 48 v system on some cars in Europe for about a year?
https://www.thetorquereport.com/merc...hybrid-system/
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Tariffs

Originally Posted by petee1997
I disagree. I wish I had waited for the E53. I have the 18 E43. The E53 has the new in line 6cyl with 48 volt system that gives you an extra 22 hp of boost plus 429 hp. The E450 has the old V6 engine retuned to 362 hp that is currently in the E400. If you can get one for 5% discount, go for it.

I love my E43 with air suspension. It has a great ride and good power but the E53 offers all that plus more power and the latest technology. Within the next five years all cars will be like the E53 48 volts system with no parasite belts sucking power from the engine. Buy the future and not the past.

PS Your only problem is Trump. He is thinking of adding a 25% tariff on all imported cars. I do not have the audacity to offer my opinion on Mr. Trump.
President Trump's tariff negotiations look to be winning the day with the EU agreeing to work toward zero tariffs on all non automotive goods, and to purchase more natural gas and soy beans from America (two incredibly important exports). The auto tariffs seem to be stabilizing for the moment. The current tariff regime is a product of the Marshall Plan when America agreed to rebuild Europe after WWII -- to the detriment of and cost born by America. Those needs are long past and thus no reason to continue that tariff disparity. President Trump's position is just and equitable (if you are representing America's best interests). Our past Presidents didn't have the negotiating acumen to make it happen. Today, since President Trump's economic policies have our economy so incredibly strong, we can afford the short term market turmoil to equalize the trade imbalance for long term benefit. Notwithstanding the constant and harsh criticisms from his detractors, Trump has scored another big win for America and we don't really need to worry about tariffs hurting our Benz purchases.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by AZEZ
President Trump's tariff negotiations look to be winning the day with the EU agreeing to work toward zero tariffs on all non automotive goods, and to purchase more natural gas and soy beans from America (two incredibly important exports). The auto tariffs seem to be stabilizing for the moment. The current tariff regime is a product of the Marshall Plan when America agreed to rebuild Europe after WWII -- to the detriment of and cost born by America. Those needs are long past and thus no reason to continue that tariff disparity. President Trump's position is just and equitable (if you are representing America's best interests). Our past Presidents didn't have the negotiating acumen to make it happen. Today, since President Trump's economic policies have our economy so incredibly strong, we can afford the short term market turmoil to equalize the trade imbalance for long term benefit. Notwithstanding the constant and harsh criticisms from his detractors, Trump has scored another big win for America and we don't really need to worry about tariffs hurting our Benz purchases.
I hope you are right. But I still detest him!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM

BMW 740i
Originally Posted by CaptainE

As mentioned above, remove the conv pkg. price.

Also the Euro discount is greater with the non AMG car! I’m going with the 450.

And the rides probably better smoother.

Im with the others siding with the E53AMG. The technology is significant, the extra power and the engine sound is substantial, the AMG version opens options not available on non-AMG cars, the styling is sexier, and once you add all the options to the E450, the price variance is not all that much. Plus, as for Arizona, Im probably going to be the first person to drive one down the street
Old 07-26-2018, 03:06 PM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
Im with the others siding with the E53AMG. The technology is significant, the extra power and the engine sound is substantial, the AMG version opens options not available on non-AMG cars, the styling is sexier, and once you add all the options to the E450, the price variance is not all that much. Plus, as for Arizona, Im probably going to be the first person to drive one down the street
any concerns with new technology aspect, in terms of reliability etc? It seems this engine and 48 v technology is being used on European cars for about a year.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
Engine sound is not a concern for me as I’m not seeking attention. Useless. Styling is practically the same, cosmetic differences only. Hood is nice though.
The price difference is substantial, I have priced them both and 5 vs 7 percent on Euro delivery is a fact.
Trump is doing more damage to our republic than good.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:53 PM

BMW 740i
Originally Posted by jsclarke
I'm really enjoying this thread guys thanks. But price difference shrinks when you consider that the following options, which I'd get, comes with the AMG but not the E450 (if I'm reading the DOG right)...

Perf package 1 $3,150
Conv. pkg 2,400 0 (correction)
AMG style 500
19" wheels 500
dig instr cluster 850

*Air suspension* $1,900

that sums to $9300 $6,900

The difference in base prices = $72250 - $59950 = $12,600

so, unless I've made a mistake somewhere - if you want those options may as well get the AMG.
Now I did notice heads up display isn't avail on the AMG, and the issue with ride may be salient. John
With the AMG you dont have the $500 19" wheels, rather you have the 20" RTN/RTY/RTZ AMG wheel options not available with E450, and some other options only available on the AMG - if those things are important. For example the trim packages cost more with an E450, but are included or cost less with the E53AMG. Ultimately, we each need to decide for ourselves whether the AMG is worth an extra $10,000. Heck, some people pay extra for a lot of things that most people wouldn't pay for only because they have the disposable income. I like a bone in filet mignon, its expensive and only the high price steak houses have them. I could get a cheaper non bone-in filet at Longhorn for a fraction of the cost. I prefer to spend the extra money...and no surprise I ordered the E53AMG. Ultimately, whether you get the E450 or the AMGE53, you will have a wicked awesome car and enjoy it immensely! We are all lucky to be in a position to drive these cars. Ive never had a convertible so mine will be the AMG Cabriolet. I think my next one will be a E450 Coupe and I might load that one up and buy it as opposed to leasing.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:56 PM

BMW 740i
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Yes, lots of people detest his style. His policy has actually been outstanding if you can take emotion out of the view, but style points are low. but then, our alternative was a person less honest with more detestable style and a track record of consistently bad policy so we didn't have much to choose from.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, lots of people detest his style. His policy has actually been outstanding if you can take emotion out of the view, but style points are low. but then, our alternative was a person less honest with more detestable style and a track record of consistently bad policy so we didn't have much to choose from.
Sorry, but we'll just have to politely agree to disagree on his policies.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the AMG you dont have the $500 19" wheels, rather you have the 20" RTN/RTY/RTZ AMG wheel options not available with E450, and some other options only available on the AMG - if those things are important. For example the trim packages cost more with an E450, but are included or cost less with the E53AMG. Ultimately, we each need to decide for ourselves whether the AMG is worth an extra $10,000. Heck, some people pay extra for a lot of things that most people wouldn't pay for only because they have the disposable income. I like a bone in filet mignon, its expensive and only the high price steak houses have them. I could get a cheaper non bone-in filet at Longhorn for a fraction of the cost. I prefer to spend the extra money...and no surprise I ordered the E53AMG. Ultimately, whether you get the E450 or the AMGE53, you will have a wicked awesome car and enjoy it immensely! We are all lucky to be in a position to drive these cars. Ive never had a convertible so mine will be the AMG Cabriolet. I think my next one will be a E450 Coupe and I might load that one up and buy it as opposed to leasing.
20" wheels on the E53 would not be a good option in my opinion. If you're looking for a a harsher ride, with tires that will wear out much faster, then that's great. Wheel and tire insurance would be a mandatory expense as those 20" wheels will be subject to dings and bends with potholes. I'm glad it's the car that's for you. It's most definitely not for me though.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Pot holes? That is a Northern road anomaly. I haven't come across a pot hole in the county where I live for at least 10 years or the neighboring county where rbrylaw lives.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ua549
Pot holes? That is a Northern road anomaly. I haven't come across a pot hole in the county where I live for at least 10 years or the neighboring county where rbrylaw lives.
Bunk. I live in Tampa and drive to Clearwater often. Roads in Hillsborough and Pinellis are riddled with potholes. Still, a 20" wheel by nature has to have a smaller and much stiffer sidewall, which will make the ride harsher.

My boss, who has a 2017 S Class with 20" wheels didn't get the tire and wheel warranty. He has now had to replace all four wheels from pothole damage that couldn't be repaired. He has paid thousands of dollars doing so.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-26-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
You may detest him but you’ll gladly accept the benefits from him being tough on trade. Right?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Bunk. I live in Tampa and drive to Clearwater often. Roads in Hillsborough and Pinellis are riddled with potholes. Still, a 20" wheel by nature has to have a smaller and much stiffer sidewall, which will make the ride harsher.
No potholes here in Naples.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dudley07726

You may detest him but you’ll gladly accept the benefits from him being tough on trade. Right?
We'll see if his policies on trade prove to be good or bad. If proven good, I'll give him credit. I seriously doubt I'll be giving him much credit. But then the Moon might escape earths orbit tomorrow, so you never know!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

My boss, who has a 2017 S Class with 20" wheels didn't get the tire and wheel warranty. He has now had to replace all four wheels from pothole damage that couldn't be repaired. He has paid thousands of dollars doing so.
It will help not to generalize too much or to state opinion as a matter of fact. Different cars, different wheels, different tires, different suspension.

Just consider that it will not work for you from a taste, comfort or budget perspective but others may have different priorities. You would not catch me putting a general purpose tire or all season tire on a performance car. Performance tires typically cost twice as much and last half as long but will perform better than anything else during that time. Provided that it is warm enough outside
Personally I couldn’t care less about costs. It’s just money and tires and brakes are the most important components on a car...

Having done the switch on several cars there is no difference between 19” and 20” wheels with the right tires. In fact, the 19” wheels were worst with run flats. Our 2015 S550 had 20” wheels and there are plenty of potholes due to harsh winters in MN. Zero wheel damage and this was our winter car but we swapped to conventional tires.
But as stated before, this is something that works for me and has been my personal experience. A test drive is ultimately the best indicator what works best for the buyer...
Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman

It will help not to generalize too much or to state opinion as a matter of fact. Different cars, different wheels, different tires, different suspension.

Just consider that it will not work for you from a taste, comfort or budget perspective but others may have different priorities. You would not catch me putting a general purpose tire or all season tire on a performance car. Performance tires typically cost twice as much and last half as long but will perform better than anything else during that time. Provided that it is warm enough outside
Personally I couldn’t care less about costs. It’s just money and tires and brakes are the most important components on a car...

Having done the switch on several cars there is no difference between 19” and 20” wheels with the right tires. In fact, the 19” wheels were worst with run flats. Our 2015 S550 had 20” wheels and there are plenty of potholes due to harsh winters in MN. Zero wheel damage and this was our winter car but we swapped to conventional tires.
But as stated before, this is something that works for me and has been my personal experience. A test drive is ultimately the best indicator what works best for the buyer...
Thanks and you are right. I didn't mean for my comments to come off as fact. What works best for you is what you should get for sure. And that's why we have different options! Cheers

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-27-2018 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wolfman (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMWX5, Audi SQ5
Very Interesting

Originally Posted by visualguy
The convenience package is not actually relevant to the E450.
The slotted large disc brakes and calipers are also part of the AMG package. Not sure what dollar value that would be if it were available on the E450. But I'm still intrigued with your earlier concerns with first year engine potential problems. Being new to the Mercedes world, I don't know their track record with introducing new stuff, this new i6 for the E450 and E53.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HDEddie54
The slotted large disc brakes and calipers are also part of the AMG package. Not sure what dollar value that would be if it were available on the E450. But I'm still intrigued with your earlier concerns with first year engine potential problems. Being new to the Mercedes world, I don't know their track record with introducing new stuff, this new i6 for the E450 and E53.
The E450 engine is not the new I6, nor really new at all. It's pretty much the Twin Turbo V6 from the E400 with more horses. I don't know enough about the engine coming in the E53 to comment. The I6 engine, maybe not necessarily in E53 guise has been in use in Europe for a while now and I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-31-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
Originally Posted by HDEddie54

Post 38 above has the engine specs. If you want the complete ordering guide, pm me.

———————————————————————-

no dopey quotes to see here