MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   What do you think is pretty useless / could be improved upon? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/716228-what-do-you-think-pretty-useless-could-improved-upon.html)

mickhoog 07-25-2018 11:06 PM

What do you think is pretty useless / could be improved upon?

Over time, i have come to believe the following could be improved upon in the W213 (besides rattles) :

- The menu button on the HVAC controls - it does nothing besides bring up a useless graphic

- The option of the software update - my dealer said that they never update the software, so why is there an option for it in the user menu?

- The parking pilot button should be separate to the 360 degree camera, I hate having to start the camera by pressing the parking pilot button then scrolling - i want this in one step

- the favourites menu. I think when you press home it should show you your favourites first, not like it is now where you press home then have to toggle down , or have a short cut button to favourites. Considering how customisable the favourites is...

What are yours?

haibieb 07-26-2018 05:01 AM

Another issue with the new 12.3" screen, is that you can't see the outside temperature displayed. It's displayed on the very left top of the screen - blocked by the steering wheel no matter which screen design you choose!

SCRL 07-26-2018 07:47 AM

The way the sat nav does not tell you HOW LONG (in time) it is until your destination. You get distance and ETA, but not how long your journey is going to be. Considering that the very first TomTom did this, and that Google Maps does it, and that every other sat nav I've ever seen does it, this seems pretty brain-dead to me, especially as it must have this figure internally in order to calculate the ETA! PLEASE JUST PUT IN ON THE SCREEN!!!!

78degrees 07-26-2018 08:18 AM

I think it would be a massive improvement if they made the announced functions actually work..
The following functions won't work for me:
-NFC key on smartphone (Support only the old and outdated Android 7(!))
-Parking Pilot (Works only on iPhone.. I bought this function at the same time as the NFC key that doesn't work on iPhone..)

Comand should be able to show me the route I'm going so I could select between different routes.. The calculation of routes is worth nothing as I'm doing a better job myself.. (Creating the route with some waypoints included makes the route better..)

Egonvdv 07-26-2018 08:53 AM

the whole command system should be improved.
it's too slow, crashes too often (the internet radio or usb stick or it won't reconnect to the internet unless you reboot)
gps: impossible to get a LIST of incidents on the route, impossible to choose a gas station on price. (a portable tomtom is much better)
park pilot is useless imo as far from perfect in tight spots (when you'd really need it)

ua549 07-26-2018 09:40 AM

AFAIK Mercedes is replacing the COMMAND system with MBUX in the very near future. MBUX will implement the WHAT3WORDS geographic location system. Link

mickhoog 07-27-2018 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by haibieb (Post 7512643)
Another issue with the new 12.3" screen, is that you can't see the outside temperature displayed. It's displayed on the very left top of the screen - blocked by the steering wheel no matter which screen design you choose!

I haven’t found that an issue yet. Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel so it’s visible?

mickhoog 07-27-2018 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by SCRL (Post 7512688)
The way the sat nav does not tell you HOW LONG (in time) it is until your destination. You get distance and ETA, but not how long your journey is going to be. Considering that the very first TomTom did this, and that Google Maps does it, and that every other sat nav I've ever seen does it, this seems pretty brain-dead to me, especially as it must have this figure internally in order to calculate the ETA! PLEASE JUST PUT IN ON THE SCREEN!!!!

YES!! I was just thinking that the other day. Annoying.

mickhoog 07-27-2018 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7512696)
I think it would be a massive improvement if they made the announced functions actually work..
The following functions won't work for me:
-NFC key on smartphone (Support only the old and outdated Android 7(!))
-Parking Pilot (Works only on iPhone.. I bought this function at the same time as the NFC key that doesn't work on iPhone..)

Comand should be able to show me the route I'm going so I could select between different routes.. The calculation of routes is worth nothing as I'm doing a better job myself.. (Creating the route with some waypoints included makes the route better..)

- NFC Key is not available for Australia, so i just use the keyless go with the key in my pocket.
- By parking pilot , do you mean remote parking pilot? That function is not available for Australia. I think the BMW system is good cos its actually integrated in to the key - so that could be improved. What i would really like is maybe you can get 4 discs that are metal and program that as home / garage , and install it in your garage and you just have to hit a button and it parks itself rather than having to hold the phone etc.

COMAND does show the route you’re going - the only time it does show alternate routes is when the traffic is busy. But there is alternative routes option and also an option for waypoints. I find that even though they say COMAND learns - it doesn’t.

mickhoog 07-27-2018 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7512748)
AFAIK Mercedes is replacing the COMMAND system with MBUX in the very near future. MBUX will implement the WHAT3WORDS geographic location system. Link

I wonder how long MBUX will actually be. It’s in the just about released A Class, however, it is not in the C Class update that is here in 2 weeks. I can imagine that it might be in the E Class Mid Life Update which is normally 3 years in, so that would be 2019 or so - but whether Germany thinks its “too techy” for E Class buyers. I think E Class buyers want the latest so I personally think it makes sense. I do agree though that MB has made back their investment in COMAND and probably aren’t putting anymore R&D in to that platform, just patches. I wonder if it needs the 48 V system for it to work?

haibieb 07-27-2018 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by mickhoog (Post 7513424)

I haven’t found that an issue yet. Have you tried adjusting the steering wheel so it’s visible?

Yes. I tilt the steering wheel to my driving needs and that temperature information is not clearly shown. It should be at the bottom of the screen. I asked my service advisor if there is another way or area that it can be displayed and the answer was No. Oh well......

jhpmbusa 07-27-2018 08:12 AM

the overall ride quality in general.

rbrylaw 07-27-2018 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mickhoog (Post 7513430)

I wonder how long MBUX will actually be. It’s in the just about released A Class, however, it is not in the C Class update that is here in 2 weeks. I can imagine that it might be in the E Class Mid Life Update which is normally 3 years in, so that would be 2019 or so - but whether Germany thinks its “too techy” for E Class buyers. I think E Class buyers want the latest so I personally think it makes sense. I do agree though that MB has made back their investment in COMAND and probably aren’t putting anymore R&D in to that platform, just patches. I wonder if it needs the 48 V system for it to work?

It's been reported that MBUX will eventually roll out to all their cars. The 2020 GLE coming in late 2019 will have it. The new CLS is coming with it. And as you've already said, the new A class has it. In the mysterious minds of MB executives, things seem to trickle out as opposed to mass introduction.

78degrees 07-27-2018 09:20 AM

I'm not looking forward to MBUX, it's not that great.
Tested it in an A-class in may.

rbrylaw 07-27-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7513561)
I'm not looking forward to MBUX, it's not that great.
Tested it in an A-class in may.

It's not important to me. I've spend so many years becoming accustomed to Comand and it works well enough for my needs. I guess not having to touch the voice button and simply say "Hey Mercedes" to do something will feel familiar in an Alexa/Siri sense. I know some people pine for a touch screen, but I'm not one of them.

bmms8 07-27-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7513525)
the overall ride quality in general.

I feel completely opposite. I think the ride is amazing and much smoother and more comfortable than my w211 with air suspension. I even have the sport/19 rim package one my w213.

Its just not as fast as the 5.0 V8:zoom:

78degrees 07-27-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7513565)
It's not important to me. I've spend so many years becoming accustomed to Comand and it works well enough for my needs. I guess not having to touch the voice button and simply say "Hey Mercedes" to do something will feel familiar in an Alexa/Siri sense. I know some people pine for a touch screen, but I'm not one of them.

The funny thing is that you can do a lot by voice commands today also. Things like adjusting the temperature, turning seat massage, heating and ventilation on or off.. Navigating and some other stuff.

ua549 07-27-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by haibieb (Post 7513488)
Yes. I tilt the steering wheel to my driving needs and that temperature information is not clearly shown. It should be at the bottom of the screen. I asked my service advisor if there is another way or area that it can be displayed and the answer was No. Oh well......

The center spokes and center hub of the steering wheel blocks my view of the bottom of the screen. That said, I don't need to know what the OAT is minute by minute. The solution is to make the display layout more flexible.

78degrees 07-27-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bmms8 (Post 7513569)
I feel completely opposite. I think the ride is amazing and much smoother and more comfortable than my w211 with air suspension. I even have the sport/19 rim package one my w213.

Its just not as fast as the 5.0 V8:zoom:

Totally agree!
I had a 2005 E500 4Matic wagon before I switched to 213.

My car is a bit faster (I decided to double the power when buying a new car), the ride quality is a lot better than in the 211.

rbrylaw 07-27-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7513584)
The funny thing is that you can do a lot by voice commands today also. Things like adjusting the temperature, turning seat massage, heating and ventilation on or off.. Navigating and some other stuff.

I do most everything by voice in my C300. Bring up navigation, make phone calls, reply to texts. I don't use the Comand dial very much.

The_Judge 07-27-2018 12:54 PM

I really dislike the nearly constant suggestions from the navigation system for alternate routes, most of which border on the absurd (e.g., get off the freeway and drive on surface streets through residential neighborhoods in very sketchy neighborhoods to save 2 minutes). While some of the suggestions are good, there's no way that I've yet discovered to tell it to STFU!

78degrees 07-27-2018 01:27 PM

I loved the route Comand created for me a couple weeks ago..
It wanted me to drive more than 600km extra with a couple ferry trips and total time of more than 20 hours on a 400km trip..

LAC300 07-27-2018 01:40 PM

Q: What do you think is useless?
A: COMMAND

rbrylaw 07-27-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LAC300 (Post 7513847)
Q: What do you think is useless?
A: COMMAND

It's actually called Comand (with one m). Maybe that's why you don't like it. It's missing an M! :o:

mickhoog 07-27-2018 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7513828)
I loved the route Comand created for me a couple weeks ago..
It wanted me to drive more than 600km extra with a couple ferry trips and total time of more than 20 hours on a 400km trip..

Oh and you just wanted to go the long way around haha. Weirdness

MBUX is not coming in the new CLS (in this iteration) - the launch date is just around the corner in Australia and the spec guide is online. It’s COMAND.

I also dislike a touch screen, i’ll Use the COMAND controller. However, the voice is really sketchy. I can’t say “navigate to home” or “home” - even if they are programmed in - like they show on the MBUSA You Tube page. I can’t even say “navigate to the park hyatt canberra’ for example but Park Hyatt Canberra is available in the POIs. It really ****s me to tears.

I tried also plugging in to the apple car play port yesterday and i tried the voice through the wheel - “park hyatt Canberra” - worked straight away. I never use Apple Car Play as i prefer COMAND, but in this instance, CarPlay is way better, just don’t like the look of the maps.