MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Non-US vs US headlights (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/716280-non-us-vs-us-headlights.html)

Obeidat 07-26-2018 10:19 AM

Non-US vs US headlights

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...547d0b657.jpeg

Non-US EClass with no amber part on the headlight
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1590e31bf.jpeg

US EClass with amber headlights
am i the only one who thinks that the amber part on US cars makes the vehicle less appealing???

joshg1001 07-26-2018 11:49 AM

you're not the only one which is why people go to great lengths to black them out if they are on the exterior like the side bumper. I dont mind when its integrated into the headlight, you can barely notice it. Blame US regulations. I also believe if you get the standard LED headlights, the amber part is bigger than the upgraded headlight option

jhpmbusa 07-26-2018 02:32 PM

also the 2 led strips, in some videos it looks like they light up blue before turning white. right when you turn them on... Is that for non - us models? or is it just the lighting in the videos?

78degrees 07-26-2018 03:48 PM

The LED-stripes on my car is definitly lighting up in blue before turning white.

jhpmbusa 07-26-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7513106)
The LED-stripes on my car is definitly lighting up in blue before turning white.

do you have a us version?

78degrees 07-27-2018 03:01 AM

Nope, my car is an EU-version.

joshg1001 07-27-2018 11:39 AM

In the US they dont do that

78degrees 07-27-2018 02:45 PM

There's a lot they don't do in the US..

I love my automatic high beam, it's so cool when they gives high beam except from where there are other vehicles.

wagonsrock 07-27-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7513897)
I love my automatic high beam, it's so cool when they gives high beam except from where there are other vehicles.

US medieval lighting regulations are so frustrating. My car has all the hardware needed for adaptive high beam, but its not coded for US spec vehicles. We pay for the hardware, but can't use it to full advantage. Another insult: We are stuck with red turn signals in the rear, while other countries get amber, which is so much clearer, and allows clear indications of both braking and signaling at the same time.

jhpmbusa 07-27-2018 09:09 PM

on my 2015 e350 i used to have the automatic high beams - are they not available in the 2018 e300? Havent even tried it yet. I have the p2 package I do know when i corner the light does adjust to light up the road.

wagonsrock 07-27-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa (Post 7514111)
on my 2015 e350 i used to have the automatic high beams - are they not available in the 2018 e300? Havent even tried it yet. I have the p2 package I do know when i corner the light does adjust to light up the road.

With P2 you should have intelligent LED lighting. Even with the limits imposed on the US implementation of this system, you still get auto high/low beams: Just leave lights in auto mode, and the high beam stalk pushed forwards, and the car will switch automatically between high/low depending on street lighting and oncoming traffic. Its pretty cool how the high beam 'sweeps outwards' when its activated. Unfortunately we do not get selective dimming of individual LEDs to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, just a switch from high/low.

Cao Black 07-28-2018 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by wagonsrock (Post 7514022)
US medieval lighting regulations are so frustrating. My car has all the hardware needed for adaptive high beam, but its not coded for US spec vehicles. We pay for the hardware, but can't use it to full advantage. Another insult: We are stuck with red turn signals in the rear, while other countries get amber, which is so much clearer, and allows clear indications of both braking and signaling at the same time.

No US regulation prevents amber turn signals lights in the rear. Even other models of Mercedes use them, not to mention a host of other manufacturers. It is a corporate decision somehow.

US regulations do require separate high and low beams; therefore, we don't get to enjoy the Euro version of intelligent lighting, which is functionally always on high beam.

wdimagineer 07-28-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7514204)
No US regulation prevents amber turn signals lights in the rear. Even other models of Mercedes use them, not to mention a host of other manufacturers. It is a corporate decision somehow.

US regulations do require separate high and low beams; therefore, we don't get to enjoy the Euro version of intelligent lighting, which is functionally always on high beam.

Correct. Most manufacturers claim that US consumer preference is for all red lighting, but in reality, much of it is designed to make it harder to export vehicles to markets where this configuration is illegal. I fought against this back when I was at VW/Audi but didn't have much support despite the added costs of US market-specific lighting, wiring, etc. However, manufacturers will petition DOT to provide exemptions for other features, like laser high beams, to aid in marketing and sales.

I'm hopeful that US lighting laws will start to catch up to the rest of the world. Canada recently updated their vehicle code to allow for dynamic high beams. I expect the US to follow suit at some point. Given the hardware exists in US cars, it could be unlocked with a future software update when regulations change. Audi's plan on the new A6, A7, A8, and Q8 is to enable the technology once the regulatory hurdles fall. Prior to these vehicles, only "base" LED headlights with no pixel functionality were offered on US cars, similar to the non-ILS LED headlamps on the E-Class.

ggoncruz 10-02-2018 01:07 PM

I am not so sure itīs going to be that easy. I have bought a beautiful 2018 E400 US version. I am from Spain and I am going back next summer. I tried to explain my situation to a huge number of people so the car could be fully operational by the time I take it to Spain. The car was custom built so I didnīt really understand why coudnīt the just build the car with the orange turn signals in the back. those are legal both in the US and in Europe, on the other hand, you cannot drive with red turn signals in Europe... I spent over 70K dollars in the car and Mercedes Benz coudnīt get that done for me... that was a little disappointing...
I have contacted both MB US and Europe trying to tell me if the navigation, traffic recognition system, and some other features are going to work when the car gets to Europe and I havenīt been able to get a solid answer.

wagonsrock 10-02-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ggoncruz (Post 7567908)
I am not so sure itīs going to be that easy. I have bought a beautiful 2018 E400 US version. I am from Spain and I am going back next summer. I tried to explain my situation to a huge number of people so the car could be fully operational by the time I take it to Spain. The car was custom built so I didnīt really understand why coudnīt the just build the car with the orange turn signals in the back. those are legal both in the US and in Europe, on the other hand, you cannot drive with red turn signals in Europe... I spent over 70K dollars in the car and Mercedes Benz coudnīt get that done for me... that was a little disappointing...
I have contacted both MB US and Europe trying to tell me if the navigation, traffic recognition system, and some other features are going to work when the car gets to Europe and I havenīt been able to get a solid answer.

I took delivery of a US spec 2018 E400S in Sindelfingen this May. Navigation and traffic sign/speed recognition worked perfectly in Europe. Maps had to be reprogrammed when car was delivered in US, but all the prior destinations I used in Europe were still in memory, so this should be easy to fix in reverse direction, but I'm sure they will charge for doing this. As for rear lights, that's also going to cost you, because the hardware for US and Europe is not plug and compatible. If you purchased car in US and are exporting it to Spain, MB hates this because they have different pricing structures in individual countries, and as you probably know cars are much cheaper here, so they try to prevent this from being easy ...

ggoncruz 10-03-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by wagonsrock (Post 7568196)
I took delivery of a US spec 2018 E400S in Sindelfingen this May. Navigation and traffic sign/speed recognition worked perfectly in Europe. Maps had to be reprogrammed when car was delivered in US, but all the prior destinations I used in Europe were still in memory, so this should be easy to fix in reverse direction, but I'm sure they will charge for doing this. As for rear lights, that's also going to cost you, because the hardware for US and Europe is not plug and compatible. If you purchased car in US and are exporting it to Spain, MB hates this because they have different pricing structures in individual countries, and as you probably know cars are much cheaper here, so they try to prevent this from being easy ...

Youīd think so right? I even talked to MB about that option when I bouht the car because I knew what youīve just told me, and even so, they couldnīt assure that the system would work. The VPC in the US are the ones doing that conversion, I tried to get the car there before sending it to Spain so they could reprogram the car for Europe and they refused to do it. I know the car is cheaper in the US than in Europe but that shouldnīt be any issue, itīs them who set the price!
As for the lights... thereīs a company in Spain that imports american cars (Mustangs, Camaroīs, etc) and they reprogram the lights so they work as per the Spanish regulations, I talked to them and said they can do it... I hope that works. Iīve read a lot about all this and I think I am the first one taking a US verstion to Europe. Iīll post all my findings here when the time comes! I am in the military and we move a lot, I want my car to work worldwide.

vladimir.cdi 05-21-2020 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7514204)

Hello

this may be interested to US/CA mb owners who have 213/238/257/205/205FL/253/253FL/166/292 MY2016+ cars with SA640+SA608 datacard codes (limited headlamps operation = IHC)

I tested the "true Multibeam = IHC plus" activation at MY2016+ cars with SA640 headlamps and SA608 datacard code
after activation full led 640 headlamps will work exactly as EU/US SA642+628
activation takes about 1 minute and you can revert it back with the same module in 1 minute (and also activate again as many times as you need when you aware of warranty issues)
this is the video how the activation works

this is daimler video of all functions you will get after activation:

tuneOBD box can be mailed no problem, not necessary to go to dealer
when interested then contact me with your car VIN number to my email: canfiltermb@gmail.com

ggoncruz 05-21-2020 06:55 AM

Anyone tried this? Any feedback??

CarFan1 05-21-2020 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by vladimir.cdi (Post 8061351)
Hello

this may be interested to US/CA mb owners who have 213/238/257/205/205FL/253/253FL/166/292 MY2016+ cars with SA640+SA608 datacard codes (limited headlamps operation = IHC)

I tested the "true Multibeam = IHC plus" activation at MY2016+ cars with SA640 headlamps and SA608 datacard code
activation takes about 1 minute and you can revert it back with the same module in 1 minute (and also activate again as many times as you need when you aware of warranty issues)
https://youtu.be/Zyi3lOb-2FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc

when interested then contact me with your car VIN number to my email: canfiltermb@gmail.com

Interesting. What might something like that run price wise?

chassis 05-21-2020 10:04 AM

US lighting regulation differences vs other markets are an unfortunate holdover from the early 1980s when the requirements were used in an attempt to increase competitive (trade) barriers to vehicle importation from Japan and Europe. Think back to the political sentiment of the time, and the financial condition of the former Detroit 3 carmakers. The lighting rules were put in place in the days of Lee Iacocca, Don Peterson and Bob Stempel. I have first hand experience in this.

TugboatBill 05-21-2020 10:49 AM

I thought there were hardware differences between US and EU spec headlights. How can Vladimir's module work if this is the case or is it not the case?

GeoE63 05-21-2020 02:21 PM

Following. What is the cost? This also smells a bit funny since he activates it on a Russian car, not a US car.

vladimir.cdi 05-21-2020 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TugboatBill (Post 8061508)
I thought there were hardware differences between US and EU spec headlights. How can Vladimir's module work if this is the case or is it not the case?

I mailed first few units already
in next 5-10 days I will test at 10 more US/CA cars with different HLI models HWs and we will know if there are any limits

wagonsrock 05-21-2020 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vladimir.cdi (Post 8061740)
I mailed first few units already
in next 5-10 days I will test at 10 more US/CA cars with different HLI models HWs and we will know if there are any limits

I have a 2018 E400 P3 (US spec). The lights do a pretty dance when the car powers up; auto switch from high to low beam for approaching cars, and then fans out to wide high beam after car passes; and auto low beams when approaching a car from behind; but no selective zone dimming for oncoming, or cars approached from behind. Also no dimming for high reflection traffic signs.

If this works I'm interested; please post results for the 10 US/CA cars when tests are done.

SPFNJ 05-23-2020 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by vladimir.cdi (Post 8061351)
Hello

https://youtu.be/Zyi3lOb-2FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc

what is the cost and do u make this?