E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E-Class Sales Drop 35% in July - Lowest number in over 3 years!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by sackboydad

My salesman said MBUSA said it’s because of certification issues. So I’m sure the government is holding it up.

My issue is soneone one screwed up at Mercedes... either in Germany or more likely USA. WHY weren’t these cars submitted LONG AGO for certification? Why did they wait until the last minute? Looking at the US EPA data that was updated the end of July, Mercedes doesn’t have ONE SINGLE CAR on the certified list. Not one. BMW has a ton (looks like everything they import). Audi? Check. Ford? Check. Nissan? Check. Toyota? Check.

What idiot at MB decided they couldn’t submit the cars for certification MUCH EARLIER ?

Last year the E Class was released for sale on Aug 20. Dealers were told it’s an INDEFINITE delay. INDEFINITE!!!

The press rekease MBUSA put out had them whining about the poor sales and blaming it on “inventory issues” (translation... we screwed up and some dealers have too many 2018 left and others don’t have anything to sell. And of course we didn’t get ANY 2019’s certified to sell in the US so we can’t do that).

They also blaned it on their IT screw-up with the crashed NetStar mainframe Apparently they don’t believe in best practices for IT... redundancy and backups.

Min closing they said with the new models coming later in the fall, the next TWO MONTHS will show disappointing sales. TWO MONTHS! I sure take that to mean we are all going to get screwed and not get our cars for TWO MORE MONTHS because of sineone’s Incompetence at MBUSA.

as as I said earlier, this has thrown cold water on my first MB experience. I’ve dreamed of owning a Mercedes for as long as I can remember. Saved and saved and finally did it. Now my dream car is sitting rusting from the salt air at the Baltimore harbor and, from all appearances will still be sitting there rusting for another TWO MONTHS.

So far, the “Mercedes exoerience” sucks.

I know you're angry, I would be frustrated as well, but.....

1. Your car isn't rusting at the port as it's sealed to protect it as has been said before
2. You will forget the pain once you get behind the wheel of your new Mercedes, YES YOU WILL!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I know you're angry, I would be frustrated as well, but.....

1. Your car isn't rusting at the port as it's sealed to protect it as has been said before
2. You will forget the pain once you get behind the wheel of your new Mercedes, YES YOU WILL!
just a rant over severe disappointment and something that is really beyond my control :-). I know it’s not rusting.... lonely but not rusting :-)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just a rant over severe disappointment and something that is really beyond my control :-). I know it’s not rusting.... lonely but not rusting :-)

I'm sorry it's this frustrating. I've mentioned that I don't possess the patience gene and it's nice to meet a fellow lack of gene holder! I'm sure MBUSA wants your money as much as you want to give it to them. And the day will come when you can do just that. It really will. I do think your dealer did you a disservice in this process. If I recall correctly, you ordered your car in May. They should have let you know it might be built and sitting a while before MBUSA releases the next model year into the wild. If your expectations had been set appropriately from the beginning, you wouldn't be angry over this.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 08-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Originally Posted by parkwood
I live in France and placed an order on 21st Feb with a 15th June delivery date. E220d 4matic business executive estate with some options Inc airbody control and acoustic pack. Not an exotic model although well optioned the drivetrain is fairly euro standard (the engine is the most common certainly). I still do not have a firm date for delivery but was told the car was scheduled for a July build and they anticipate late August early sept. We do not get the same dealer support here for tracking build and delivery as you guys in north America do. I understand mercedes are testing a build tracker app for customers in germany.....
It transpires that in fact mercedes stopped production of all e class at one point for a period and then when it restarted it was for non European models only. The reason was the introduction of the new WLTP emission regulations and the certification needed. Cars could be produced for those countries not signatories but not for those signed up Inc the EU 28. There was a shortage of testbeds for the certification process so all the manufacturers were scrambling to get slots and the certification needed.
THE E220d has now been given its certs so they are processing orders and I assume eu customers with old orders like me maybe getting some priority. It must be costing mercedes as I am currently using a loan class c which was a brand new dealer demo when i was given it free of charge. The new certification has changed the rate of co2 emissions as mercedes are covering the increased registration costs arising from that too.
Search WLTP and you will see the difficulties it has caused across the industry.
on a separate aside I have already cost them money as my old lease c was drowned in a flood 2 weeks before return.....mercedes and my insurers have agreed settlement but not sure mercedes has the money yet and they lost any potential profit in reselling the car which was in a1 condition.
We've discussed this before. Where did you get your info about all EU cars stopping for a while (it makes sense of course)? My last build date of 3rd decade July got pulled on Spec lockout day minus one when they said they couldn't build with air suspension (and did I still want it - no!!!). I am now in for 3rd decade September so am waiting for 20th Aug as this is specification lockout day - if this is passes and is confirmed then were on for a build in late Sep - fingers crossed! If you order from a German dealer then you can track the build on Mercedes me but other countries it doesn't work. I did download the German version of the App and put in my order number (UK order) but it didn't work.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I'm sorry it's this frustrating. I've mentioned that I don't possess the patience gene and it's nice to meet a fellow lack of gene holder! I'm sure MBUSA wants your money as much as you want to give it to them. And the day will come when you can do just that. It really will. I do think your dealer did you a disservice in this process. If I recall correctly, you ordered your car in May. They should have let you know it might be built and sitting a while before MBUSA releases the next model year into the wild. If your expectations had been set appropriately from the beginning, you wouldn't be angry over this.
Exactly this whole thing is now silly and blown completely out of proportion. Post of the day.

M
The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
We've discussed this before. Where did you get your info about all EU cars stopping for a while (it makes sense of course)? My last build date of 3rd decade July got pulled on Spec lockout day minus one when they said they couldn't build with air suspension (and did I still want it - no!!!). I am now in for 3rd decade September so am waiting for 20th Aug as this is specification lockout day - if this is passes and is confirmed then were on for a build in late Sep - fingers crossed! If you order from a German dealer then you can track the build on Mercedes me but other countries it doesn't work. I did download the German version of the App and put in my order number (UK order) but it didn't work.
Hi comment 're no builds of e class was made by my sales rep at my French dealership. Then he was still hoping we would get our car on time but clearly starting to manage expectations. The conversation took place in passing as we were in the dealership seeing the service team 're our c class(RIP).
Then on a further visit he said it was very probably going to be late as the cars were not yet certified but assured us they would make sure we had a car and mercedes would cover the additional bonus malus registration costs due to the new raised co2 figures (we pay a one off new car registration tax according to co2 emissions the increase from the original 126g to 138g sees the tax rise from 147 euro to 860 euro!).
2 weeks before delivery we suffered a flash Flood at home and our c class drowned. We had anticipated we would just continue leasing that until the e arrived. But we subsequently discovered mercedes would have taken the c back in any event. We finally had confirmation the e would not be ready only at this time and the garage asked us to use the insurers 2 weeks hire car benefit before they gave us a brand new c220d amg saloon on free loan albeit we are insuring it.
We last saw our sales rep mid July whilst reclaiming property from the old car and he was hoping for early Sept delivery with a best scenario end of august
It is only the WLTP certification which has been talked about as causing the delay. The car has the widescreen and air suspension and the availability or not of these has not been raised. It is of course lhd so I am not sure if mercedes france and fellow lhd mainland Europe divisions have more build slots.
The loan c class we have is of course depreciating every week and with every km we put on it so they will surely want to get us in our car asap (though they may just take it back and put us in something else).
I really understand everyone's frustration but feel happy with the service we are getting. This is our third french mercedes and the glk and c were both on time.
We are lucky we can afford these cars and whilst our instant gratification desire is being thwarted it really is a non problem in the scheme of things.
Am sure you can appreciate there is also a far bigger worry (begins with B) occupying my mind as well....
Bfgslkman (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
2014 Mercedes E Class

My salesman said MBUSA said it’s because of certification issues. So I’m sure the government is holding it up.

My issue is soneone one screwed up at Mercedes... either in Germany or more likely USA. WHY weren’t these cars submitted LONG AGO for certification? Why did they wait until the last minute? Looking at the US EPA data that was updated the end of July, Mercedes doesn’t have ONE SINGLE CAR on the certified list. Not one. BMW has a ton (looks like everything they import). Audi? Check. Ford? Check. Nissan? Check. Toyota? Check.

What idiot at MB decided they couldn’t submit the cars for certification MUCH EARLIER ?

Last year the E Class was released for sale on Aug 20. Dealers were told it’s an INDEFINITE delay. INDEFINITE!!!
I just talked to someone today who’s very close to someone who works at MBUSA. The EPA is the REAL reason for the delays for the 2019 cars.

A lot of this comes down to horrible management, logistics... the inventory issues, etc... having some dealers with too many left over 2018 cars and some dealers barely have a few 2018’s in stock...

I was told the fire at the supplier, the July system malfunction, Trump tariff threat and inventory issues didn’t help and indeed added to the delays, but the root cause of the delay was not getting 2019 cars certified with the Government.

MBUSA doesn’t “expect” to be certified until sometime in Sept, which is why they are saying it’s going to be Oct.

was told chances are they should have enough 2019 models certified sometime between end of Aug and end of Sept, which is when they will start to release a good portion of the 2019 models to dealers...

all releases will most likely not happen at the exact same time.. for example they could release the E300, C300, S Class on Sept 15 and could release the E450, E53, E63, C43 etc.. first few weeks of Oct..

nothing is set in stone and all could change but that’s the current situation.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 PM

2014 Mercedes E Class
Also to add to that.. was also told just because the cars are maybe a month later than last year, the rep from MBUSA said cars are typically released in Sept/Oct/Nov for the next year model so this is not a serious “delay” per say... and it’s worse for people who order cars who have June or possibly July build dates because once they know it’s at VPC they want it NOW... but this happens every year.. and in the future it’s best to just get an August or later build if someone doesn’t have patience for the new model knowing it’s off the boat on land.

which even though I’m waiting too.. makes sense and I agree.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:56 PM

With my luck, the E450 Cab will be the very last one certified and subsequently released:-(
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With my luck, the E450 Cab will be the very last one certified and subsequently released:-(
Nothing like positive thinking, eh? If it works out that way, it just means they saved the absolute best for last.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by BigDeeLA

I just talked to someone today who’s very close to someone who works at MBUSA. The EPA is the REAL reason for the delays for the 2019 cars.

A lot of this comes down to horrible management, logistics... the inventory issues, etc... having some dealers with too many left over 2018 cars and some dealers barely have a few 2018’s in stock...

I was told the fire at the supplier, the July system malfunction, Trump tariff threat and inventory issues didn’t help and indeed added to the delays, but the root cause of the delay was not getting 2019 cars certified with the Government.

MBUSA doesn’t “expect” to be certified until sometime in Sept, which is why they are saying it’s going to be Oct.

was told chances are they should have enough 2019 models certified sometime between end of Aug and end of Sept, which is when they will start to release a good portion of the 2019 models to dealers...

all releases will most likely not happen at the exact same time.. for example they could release the E300, C300, S Class on Sept 15 and could release the E450, E53, E63, C43 etc.. first few weeks of Oct..

nothing is set in stone and all could change but that’s the current situation.
This means the August sales numbers are going to be terrible. Mercedes might lose the sales crown to BMW this year, a shame really.

M
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Hi comment 're no builds of e class was made by my sales rep at my French dealership. Then he was still hoping we would get our car on time but clearly starting to manage expectations. The conversation took place in passing as we were in the dealership seeing the service team 're our c class(RIP).
Then on a further visit he said it was very probably going to be late as the cars were not yet certified but assured us they would make sure we had a car and mercedes would cover the additional bonus malus registration costs due to the new raised co2 figures (we pay a one off new car registration tax according to co2 emissions the increase from the original 126g to 138g sees the tax rise from 147 euro to 860 euro!).

It is only the WLTP certification which has been talked about as causing the delay. The car has the widescreen and air suspension and the availability or not of these has not been raised. It is of course lhd so I am not sure if mercedes france and fellow lhd mainland Europe divisions have more build slots.

Am sure you can appreciate there is also a far bigger worry (begins with B) occupying my mind as well....
Interesting but I think he might be spinning you a line unless he was talking about production stopping in May. I follow the MB passion Blog (German website) are really on the money about this sort of thing (there has been absolutely no mention of this)

WLTP certification for the 220d and 400d was complete mid May and all cars going down the line after 01 Jun are 809 (model 18/01) WLTP cars. Your car has been certified already, same as my Cab which was built on 09 Jun (but not yet collected). UK buyers face the same tax issues so i'm with you there (although in my personal case it doesn't affect me). WSC is still an issue in many parts of the world. In Germany there is still a special (about €800 cheaper) option price for COMAND if you don't take the widescreen option (it's full price if you order both), in UK COMAND comes with WSC as a package for £1500 so if you want COMAND you have to wait for an available build slot (but SD nav is standard so not absolutely necessary I suppose for many business users). The latest dealer order guide for 2019 for US cars its says air suspension is limited (though strangely all MB UK press cars seem to manage to get both options fitted???).

Definitely with you reference B!!!

​​​​​​​We'll probably get our cars at the same time!

Last edited by Bfgslkman; 08-09-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM

Hi yes it was in May we had our conversation 're production having stopped our c was being serviced.
Mine Is also a 4matic much needed in our rural location in winter so they may come down the line together.
Will post if I hear anything.
estark (08-09-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 AM

Parkwood,

Just to let you know my build date has allegedly come forward by about 3 weeks. 4 weeks ago it was specification lockout 20/08 and build date 24/09; it's now (was) spec lockout 10/08 (so that's solved the dilemma I was having over ditching the metal weave trim for open pore black ash!) and a build date of 02/09! No reason given but maybe I got bumped into another production slot that a customer cancelled (?) [my order is direct with MB UK and they have allegedly been doing everything they can to get my car ASAP in view of the delays to this car and my wifes] so maybe WLTP and supply of WSC has now resolved itself and things are smoothing out?. I'll reserve further judgement until its built but at least we've gone past spec lockout (which is where we failed in June!) as it could go either way in Sep Dekade 1 (01 to 09 Sep), but it seems we might be on course for delivery mid Oct (Only 11 months after ordering and 5 months after the car was needed!). Next time I'll me sure to order something more mainstream like an AMG 63s rather than a very specialised E220d which hardly anyone buys!

Sackboydad,

You probably won't want to hear this but I was reading on a German forum this morning that the date for opening the order book for the E450 E class in Germany hasn't actually yet happened and won't be until the end of next week. Can't see you getting you car released to you before customers in Germany get the opportunity first? You can't even configure it yet on MB Germany's website

Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
Sackboydad,

You probably won't want to hear this but I was reading on a German forum this morning that the date for opening the order book for the E450 E class in Germany hasn't actually yet happened and won't be until the end of next week. Can't see you getting you car released to you before customers in Germany get the opportunity first? You can't even configure it yet on MB Germany's website
As I understand it, there is ordering and there is ORDERING :-) I ordered my car from my dealer back in may. The system let them order a MY2019 E450 Cabriolet. It was built on June 20 and arrived in Baltimore on July 6. MBUSA also does not have the 2019's (of any kind) on their web site to "order" either, so I think they are in-line with Germany. MBUSA will put the 2019's on the web site and turn on the configurator after the models are released and the dealers have inventory. That way when you build your car on the web site, it can scan inventory and tell you where you can go to get exactly what you want (or order it).

That being said, of course we have no idea when they are going to release these things. A photo from, supposedly, a MBUSA computer shows when they expect to release certain models:

It shows the E-Class as the beginning or mid October-ish. However, on the official MBUSA press release site https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases , it shows all the E-Class SEDANS as "Arriving in US Dealers by late 2018". (This is on the E-Class Sedan Quick Reference Guide): https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...eference-guide

However, the Coupe and Cabriolet's Quick Reference Guides say "arriving in US Dealers by fall 2018":
https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...eference-guide
https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...eference-guide

These are dated beginning of august... after MBUSA said some models were delayed. Looking at the California Air Resources Board certification site, as of today it shows the following models from MB are approved:
CLA250
GLA250
E300
GLC300
C300 (Sedan, Coupe and Cabriolet)

These seem to jibe with the photo from the MBUSA computer screen. Looks like the S-Class cars will be next??? Only anomaly here is why MBUSA shows E-Class SEDANS as "late 2018" which to me means November or December and the Coupe and Cabriolet as "by Fall 2018". Whether that means no later than September 20th or another definition of Fall, I don't know.

It is what it is, but by all appearances it looks like they're putting out the Coupe and Cab a while before the sedans.

Last edited by sackboydad; 08-16-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Just bought a 5 Series in June after having considered,once again,an E Class.The mail reason was I wanted an oil burner but there were other factors as well.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM

Just to let you know my build date has allegedly come forward by about 3 weeks. 4 weeks ago it was specification lockout 20/08 and build date 24/09; it's now (was) spec lockout 10/08 (so that's solved the dilemma I was having over ditching the metal weave trim for open pore black ash!) and a build date of 02/09! No reason given but maybe I got bumped into another production slot that a customer cancelled (?) [my order is direct with MB UK and they have allegedly been doing everything they can to get my car ASAP in view of the delays to this car and my wifes] so maybe WLTP and supply of WSC has now resolved itself and things are smoothing out?. I'll reserve further judgement until its built but at least we've gone past spec lockout (which is where we failed in June!) as it could go either way in Sep Dekade 1 (01 to 09 Sep), but it seems we might be on course for delivery mid Oct (Only 11 months after ordering and 5 months after the car was needed!). Next time I'll me sure to order something more mainstream like an AMG 63s rather than a very specialised E220d which hardly anyone buys!

No news for me yet but it is still holiday season here we really do not get the same level of support as north America or the UK. The whole buying process is far more laissez faire it might be different in Paris but I live in la france profonde! But thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 PM

2014 Mercedes E Class
MBUSA will be running a Loyalty Cash certificate to all customers who got a car from 2012 through July 31st 2018 if you get a new car before Oct 31st...

This is in response to the delays.. this is pretty much like getting the Winter Sales event months earlier since that starts in November.

Mercedes-Benz Loyalty Incentive Certificate

Get up to

$1,000 Loyalty Cash Towards a New Vehicle*

Currently registered Mercedes-Benz passenger car owners 2012 or newer who purchased (new or CPO) at a Mercedes-Benz Dealership July 31st or earlier are eligible to receive Loyalty Incentive.

Eligible Models:
$750 Incentive
2018-2019 CLA/GLA/C-Class/GLC/SLC

$1,000 Incentive
2018-2019 E-Class/GLE/GLS/S-Class/SL-Class/CLS/G-Class/GT-Class

*Available for qualified customers only. Eligible customers - current registered Mercedes-Benz passenger car owners MY12 or newer who purchased (new or CPO) at a Mercedes-Benz Dealership July 31st or earlier. Loyalty cash limited two per household and one per VIN retailed or leased through October 31, 2018. Non-eligible models include Commercial Vans, smart, CVP, Pinnacle, Fleet Management Companies, Rental Companies, MB Collection, and Exclusive Dealer Demo (EDD) vehicles sold to the ultimate consumer. See dealer for details. Expires 10/31/2018
Old 08-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
WOW, a whole $1,000. They made a nice profit on my purchase and all they can offer is lousy $1,000.
superangrypenguin (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:58 PM

2014 Mercedes E Class
Hahaha
Old 08-18-2018, 04:01 PM

At least they're offering you something.... this is my first experience with MB and we're not being offered anything :-(
Old 08-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Cambridgehank
WOW, a whole $1,000. They made a nice profit on my purchase and all they can offer is lousy $1,000.
consider yourself lucky

i'm in Europe, and the cars are made in Germany, Europe, where costs are set in EUR, and the same car in Europe is equal to the same car in the US like if there was no forex rates, neither inter-continental shipping costs. And I am still to receive any bonus or even some kind words.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM

Hurrah my garage phoned this afternoon and my car is in and delivery will be Monday. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to sort out the paperwork. I did pass the garage Monday morning and spied a grey estate with the traditional grille outside and as these are rare had the thought was it mine.....
mercedes are having a second-hand promotion this week which might have slowed things up or else my rep was on holiday sadly the windscreen in the c loaner got badly chipped Monday so they will need to deal with that before it goes back into the sales pool.
glad to finally have a delivery date after a long wait. Hopefully you will also get some good news too bfgslkman
Old 09-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Saw the car today and it looks good. But sadly not taking delivery until weds am at dealer request because of the time to go through the handover.

So finally the end is in site...
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Saw the car today and it looks good. But sadly not taking delivery until weds am at dealer request because of the time to go through the handover.

So finally the end is in site...
wonder why they need so much time?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-Class Sales Drop 35% in July - Lowest number in over 3 years!