MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Process for Buy Back of problem or lemon vehicle (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/717371-process-buy-back-problem-lemon-vehicle.html)

Dallasite 08-06-2018 09:59 AM

Process for Buy Back of problem or lemon vehicle

Good morning all,
Curious if anyone has had to deal with Mercedes regarding a buy back of their car due to it being a lemon or issues with the vehicle? I would like a do-over if possible...lol. I have a 2017 E300 sedan that has 15,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop as of today for 55 days with transmission problems they can't seem to fix. They cannot give me any timeline as to when I would get the car back at this point. I have now made two payments on a car that I have not been driving and has not been in my garage for 55 days now. I am kind of done with the whole thing. Yes, I have been in a loaner for 55 days but I did not sign a contract to drive a loaner for 55 days.

I have started talks with Mercedes Corporate about options and my preference is that they give me back my downpayment money and I return the car to them and we part ways. Not sure that is realistic but it is my preference so who knows. My question for you all is......has any of you purchased a Lemon before that you have had to get out of with Mercedes? Can you please recommend the best way to go about this?

I really do not want this car any longer and prefer not to drive it for the next three years until the lease expires. I wouldn't trust the car to not breakdown going forward and my excitement about owning my first Mercedes has passed as well anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time. Have a great day.

rbrylaw 08-06-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dallasite (Post 7521888)
Good morning all,
Curious if anyone has had to deal with Mercedes regarding a buy back of their car due to it being a lemon or issues with the vehicle? I would like a do-over if possible...lol. I have a 2017 E300 sedan that has 15,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop as of today for 55 days with transmission problems they can't seem to fix. They cannot give me any timeline as to when I would get the car back at this point. I have now made two payments on a car that I have not been driving and has not been in my garage for 55 days now. I am kind of done with the whole thing. Yes, I have been in a loaner for 55 days but I did not sign a contract to drive a loaner for 55 days.

I have started talks with Mercedes Corporate about options and my preference is that they give me back my downpayment money and I return the car to them and we part ways. Not sure that is realistic but it is my preference so who knows. My question for you all is......has any of you purchased a Lemon before that you have had to get out of with Mercedes? Can you please recommend the best way to go about this?

I really do not want this car any longer and prefer not to drive it for the next three years until the lease expires. I wouldn't trust the car to not breakdown going forward and my excitement about owning my first Mercedes has passed as well anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time. Have a great day.

Go out to your DMV Website for your state and get the Lemon Law PDF. It will detail what you need to do. There are some depreciation clauses you'll have to abide by, so it's unlikely you'll get every penny you put into the car back. I'm betting once you notify Mercedes of your intention to use Lemon Law due process, they'll be more willing to do something to make you happy.

jhpmbusa 08-06-2018 12:22 PM

contact the CAC department. they will assist with the whole process. please let me know as well. had car since january and has been in service over 6 weeks and have scheduled another appt for end of the month..

ua549 08-06-2018 01:29 PM

You may wish to contact RickInHouston or check his threads from 2017. He went to the mat with MBUSA and they settled with him.

Dallasite 08-08-2018 09:09 AM

Just a quick update. I think the dealer is now willing to call my car a Lemon. They can't figure out what is wrong with it and can't seem to fix it so they are pretty much giving up. Absolutely insane that they can't fix this thing. So, I started the process yesterday of seeing what can be done to either return my down payment money (which I doubt they do) OR put me in a new one. Of course mine is a 2017 and they would have to put me in a 2018 now. There are zero luxury P2's on their lot. Not sure how willing they are going to be to search for one to have brought in but we will see.

The dealer here has zero P2's on the lot......all P1's. Not sure why they order every car that way but again who knows. I did find a white sport E300 on the lot that I guess I could live with. Giving up my multi contour seats, massage, softer headrest, fragrance system, hood ornament and luxury package BUT I guess I get ventilated seats and a dual moonroof. This is of course assuming they actually let me switch cars. I am already preparing for a massive a$$ F'ing over the whole thing. As much as I would hope they would do the right thing I am sure they won't. I do intend to be aggressive in my dealings but who knoes how it will work out.

I have to say I have never been through something like this before with a car. Kind of weird that I am making payments on a car I don't have, won't ever get it back because it doesn't run and I am driving basically a loaner or equivalent to a permanent rental. Weird feeling not having your car. Sad thing is I got a good deal on mine and I got THE exact car I wanted. I doubt I get that again and franhly the feeling of excitement is gone and now I am just going through the motions and regret even getting it. I should have kept my FX35 and just driven it til the wheels fell off.

I will update you guys once I have more definitive direction from the dealer and Mercedes Corporate just in case anyone ever encounters this and needs an example. I am waiting to see how the other parties respond before I threaten filing under the lemon law. I have already told them that it qualifies in Texas under Lemon Law. They were quick to change the subject when I brought that up, which is fine but I will press it in the end if they try and screw me. I have a number of friends who are attorneys that luckily will help me with this for free so that is a good thing.

I certainly hope that none of you ever have to deal with this type of situation.....It really sucks! With that......ya'll have a great day. :)

rbrylaw 08-08-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dallasite (Post 7523664)
Just a quick update. I think the dealer is now willing to call my car a Lemon. They can't figure out what is wrong with it and can't seem to fix it so they are pretty much giving up. Absolutely insane that they can't fix this thing. So, I started the process yesterday of seeing what can be done to either return my down payment money (which I doubt they do) OR put me in a new one. Of course mine is a 2017 and they would have to put me in a 2018 now. There are zero luxury P2's on their lot. Not sure how willing they are going to be to search for one to have brought in but we will see.

The dealer here has zero P2's on the lot......all P1's. Not sure why they order every car that way but again who knows. I did find a white sport E300 on the lot that I guess I could live with. Giving up my multi contour seats, massage, softer headrest, fragrance system, hood ornament and luxury package BUT I guess I get ventilated seats and a dual moonroof. This is of course assuming they actually let me switch cars. I am already preparing for a massive a$$ F'ing over the whole thing. As much as I would hope they would do the right thing I am sure they won't. I do intend to be aggressive in my dealings but who knoes how it will work out.

I have to say I have never been through something like this before with a car. Kind of weird that I am making payments on a car I don't have, won't ever get it back because it doesn't run and I am driving basically a loaner or equivalent to a permanent rental. Weird feeling not having your car. Sad thing is I got a good deal on mine and I got THE exact car I wanted. I doubt I get that again and franhly the feeling of excitement is gone and now I am just going through the motions and regret even getting it. I should have kept my FX35 and just driven it til the wheels fell off.

I will update you guys once I have more definitive direction from the dealer and Mercedes Corporate just in case anyone ever encounters this and needs an example. I am waiting to see how the other parties respond before I threaten filing under the lemon law. I have already told them that it qualifies in Texas under Lemon Law. They were quick to change the subject when I brought that up, which is fine but I will press it in the end if they try and screw me. I have a number of friends who are attorneys that luckily will help me with this for free so that is a good thing.

I certainly hope that none of you ever have to deal with this type of situation.....It really sucks! With that......ya'll have a great day. :)

I'm sure they'll work something out with you you'll find agreeable. MB doesn't want to have to go through the Lemon Law thing anymore than you do. They took a car back from me years ago they couldn't fix. I'd only had it about 6 months and they gave me all I paid for it back and I bought a different, more expensive model and paid the difference. Your situation is a little different in that you've had your car much longer, so there is some natural depreciation that will have to be factored in.

Good luck and do let us know the final outcome.

SirJulian 08-14-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dallasite (Post 7523664)

Hi Dallas,

Has there been any update on your situation. As you know from replying in my thread, my car has been jerking; I bought it in for the 2nd time to get it checked out. Both times MB service department checked the transmission and said the transmission is fine. This time they were able to duplicate the jerking issue on their end and they've opened a case with MB Engineering and I've been waiting to hear back from them.

Dallasite 08-15-2018 12:25 AM

Sir Julian,

Yes I do have an update. Been so busy lately I haven’t had a chance to post.

To clarify....the mechanics of my transmission were apparently fine it was the electronic shifting and electronics that control the transmission on mine that was dead.

Basically dealer can’t figure out how to fix it so they have spoken with Mercedes and Mercedes has decided to Lemon it out. They are swapping out and giving me a new car that I’m picking up tomorrow.

Mine was a 2017 Selenite Gray/Black Luxury P2 with wood burl steering wheel. They can’t find another one like mine so I have settled and chosen a 2018 sport that is white with nut brown and has burl wood with wood steering wheel. I’m having to give up multi contour seats and luxury pkg but I’m gaining real leather interior, ventilated seats and a dual sunroof so there is that.

Mercedes stepped in the quickly to Lemon it and work to get me in a comparable one with no cost to me. Just started the process of a new car last Thursday and picking it up tomorrow so that’s pretty good I think.

Just a shame that I had such a beautiful car that I had custom built and now having to give it up. Oh well, it’s just a car....

I hope they they are able to fix your car and I hope you don’t have a similar problem as I have. Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.

rbrylaw 08-15-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dallasite (Post 7529105)
Sir Julian,

To clarify....the mechanics of my transmission were apparently fine it was the electronic shifting and electronics that control the transmission on mine that was dead.

Basically dealer can’t figure out how to fix it so they have spoken with Mercedes and Mercedes has decided to Lemon it out. They are swapping out and giving me a new car that I’m picking up tomorrow.

Mine was a 2017 Selenite Gray/Black Luxury P2 with wood burl steering wheel. They can’t find another one like mine so I have settled and chosen a 2018 sport that is white with nut brown and has burl wood with wood steering wheel. I’m having to give up multi contour seats and luxury pkg but I’m gaining real leather interior, ventilated seats and a dual sunroof so there is that.

Mercedes stepped in the quickly to Lemon it and work to get me in a comparable one with no cost to me. Just started the process of a new car last Thursday and picking it up tomorrow so that’s pretty good I think.

Just a shame that I had such a beautiful car that I had custom built and now having to give it up. Oh well, it’s just a car....

I hope they they are able to fix your car and I hope you don’t have a similar problem as I have. Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted.

Congratulations! The new car sounds like a really nice one. Living in Florida, I wouldn't have a car without ventilated seats! I really wanted the Nut Brown Leather seats as they're really beautiful. The white with those seats will be stunning! I hope this experience is trouble-free and you drive many happy and safe miles.

ram0201 09-26-2023 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dallasite (Post 7529105)
Sir Julian,

Great that I read this thread... My car is a 2017 E300 too fully spec'd with all luxury options P3 but has been giving trouble for the past one month - nothing inside works, screen went blank (there is another thread i raised with videos). I contacted MB USA, and after a good amount of discussion, they have agreed to see if this is a potential "buyback" car. Lemon isn't applicable because of the out of warranty situation. However, the issue with gas fumes/smell inside and outside (for 2 years) unrectified, and this new issue of screen going blank - with several other systems blind spot, headup display, auto stop/start, backlighting and many others failing together, they are considering a buyback... lets see fingers crossed. as you mentioned, mine is beautiful outside and has a great spec.