E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Help with Carplay and Mercedes e class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e class w213
Help with Carplay and Mercedes e class

Hello all, I am having trouble with the CarPlay implementation with Mercedes.

First, how do I access steering wheel controls? Apple gives this option to dealers.

Second, in my GLS there’s a fast forward and back track button in the middle of the console. In the E, I have to scroll to the music icon, scroll to the next button precisely, then tap. Not very safe. I prefer not to use voice as Siri can be very loud and I have passengers. Is there a quick way to next a song?

third, the track pad does not work with apple car play. There’s a back button to go home, but the forward button doesn’t work nor does the track pad.

any settings I can play with? Thanks so much. I’ve done a search and couldn’t find this info, sorry if I missed anything.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:13 PM

e class w213
Originally Posted by Khoi Le
Hello all, I am having trouble with the CarPlay implementation with Mercedes.

First, how do I access steering wheel controls? Apple gives this option to dealers.

Second, in my GLS there’s a fast forward and back track button in the middle of the console. In the E, I have to scroll to the music icon, scroll to the next button precisely, then tap. Not very safe. I prefer not to use voice as Siri can be very loud and I have passengers. Is there a quick way to next a song?

third, the track pad does not work with apple car play. There’s a back button to go home, but the forward button doesn’t work nor does the track pad.

any settings I can play with? Thanks so much. I’ve done a search and couldn’t find this info, sorry if I missed anything.

So far I learned that you can press the media button, then scroll to the controls, and slide the knob to the right to next the song.

still can't get steering wheel controls or the track pad to work. Any advice on those?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 PM

e class w213
So far I learned that you can press the media button, then scroll to the controls, and slide the knob to the right to next the song.

still can't get steering wheel controls or the track pad to work. Any advice on those?

Anyone?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C238 E220D 4Matic
How old is the car, my e coupe is the same and it's because it's a 2017 model, more CarPlay functionality was introduced in 2018 models.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 AM

e class w213
Originally Posted by tonynufc
How old is the car, my e coupe is the same and it's because it's a 2017 model, more CarPlay functionality was introduced in 2018 models.

Its a 2017, I can't use the steering wheel buttons for CarPlay. Is there a software update for this?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
Anyone?
Just turn the big control knob slightly clockwise to go to the next track when you are on media.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM

e class w213
Originally Posted by arnsbrae

Just turn the big control knob slightly clockwise to go to the next track when you are on media.

It doesn't work like that, the big knob scrolls if you do that.

The point of having CarPlay is so we don't have to navigate each time and to make life safer. Disabling steering wheel controls or forcing eyes off the road, looking for the media button, pressing it, scroll to the next track button, then tapping, can be easily replaced with the steering wheel controls (and has been, in many other models of cars). I think it should be updated by MB.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic

The point of having CarPlay is so we don't have to navigate each time and to make life safer. Disabling steering wheel controls or forcing eyes off the road, looking for the media button, pressing it, scroll to the next track button, then tapping, can be easily replaced with the steering wheel controls (and has been, in many other models of cars). I think it should be updated by MB.
Have you asked your MB Service Adviser if there is a software update that will give you more functionality? Regardless of what you think Mercedes should do, there's nothing us users can do to give you what you want.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
I have a 2018 E class, so it might be different than yours. My dealer has a technology support person. I have been to him three or four times about Apple CarPlay. It is still not as perfect as I would have expected from Apple and/or MB. Good luck
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe

You are correct. I don’t use CarPlay because I don’t like it. You were referring to CarPlay

I play music from my iPhone in the car via Bluetooth. When I’m doing that, I can just turn the control wheel slightly to go to the next or previous track. No need to take my eyes off the road etc.....