MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   2019? Audi to MB for wife (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/718150-2019-audi-mb-wife.html)

pop.tremuloides 08-16-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7530637)
The Straight Pipes is awesome. I actually know where they film as I live close to them!

Well, before you pull the trigger, just make sure you check out the S class review they did. :) (just for fun). You might change your mind :D

Will do Penguin!

Not sure I want to even look at that! LOL

So Ventilated seats are a MUST for my wife but trying to decipher the MB website is a PITA!

Pls help!!!!

tonecas 08-16-2018 06:02 PM

take a look at this also from Autogefühl. there are other in depth reviews specially from their team member name Thomas, that is a very peculiar guy, typically German:

Germancar1 08-16-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7530591)
I suspect this is correct.

Do you all just not understand what air springs are? All Mercedes with air suspension except for the E400/E450 wagon have air springs at all 4 corners.

M

Germancar1 08-16-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tonecas (Post 7530569)
agree. that's my idea. and the air thing suspension still uses coil springs. the front is a 4 link axle and the rear is a multi-link axle

All 4 corners have an air spring on board on cars with airmatic or air body control, except for the E400/450 wagon which has them only in the rear unless you opt for Air Body Control. The previous poster was confused saying that the E43 and the E63 only had air springs at the rear. That is incorrect.

M

superangrypenguin 08-16-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides (Post 7530655)
Will do Penguin!

Not sure I want to even look at that! LOL

So Ventilated seats are a MUST for my wife but trying to decipher the MB website is a PITA!

Pls help!!!!

They are called climate comfort front seats for what you're referring to :) if you want the massage ones they are called multi contoured seats and they feature active side bolsters as well.

AZEZ 08-16-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides (Post 7530625)
So have any of you researched the E Coupe?

Here is probably one of the most entertaining video I have seen to date on the MB E series coupes.

https://youtu.be/l1KwgmBaJAo

We are leaning this way...I sent snips of the vid to my wife at work. She is ALL IN...depending on our P, A, MB vehicle test drives!

I am in the same boat ....test them all and see what SHE likes...then the debate happens!

Pop

These two have a similar video for the E400 Cabriolet. Its awesome.

superangrypenguin 08-16-2018 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7530740)
All 4 corners have an air spring on board on cars with airmatic or air body control, except for the E400/450 wagon which has them only in the rear unless you opt for Air Body Control. The previous poster was confused saying that the E43 and the E63 only had air springs at the rear. That is incorrect.

M

Thank you for the clarification. As indicated upthread I was only sharing what I was told.

AZEZ 08-16-2018 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7530733)
Do you all just not understand what air springs are? All Mercedes with air suspension except for the E400/E450 wagon have air springs at all 4 corners.

M

I apologize for any confusion; when I say "Air Suspension" I am really talking about the Air Body Control suspension. Its a $1,900 option on the E450, but the AMG version of this suspension is included on the E53AMG. Ive had similar suspension in my wife's Cadillac STS years ago (the Magnetic Glide Suspension) and that car was marvelous. Tight yet like butter.

The Coupe is beautiful and I think owns the class at this point. Competitors to the E450 Coupe or E53 AMG Coupe are basically the BMW 550i or M550 or M5; and the Audi S5 or RS5. I drove the BMW M550, its really nice, smooth, faaaaast, impressive. But the styling is the same old BMW styling Ive had for 20 years so for me I was just kinda done with that and looking for something different. My neighbor has the Audi RS5 in blue. The color is gorgeous and its not a bad looking car, but just doesnt quite have the elegance of the Benz E53AMG Coupe through my eyes. Both the RS5 and the M550 are $85k pushing $90k (or more for the M550) when fully loaded comparable to an E53 AMG.

Of course none of us have driven the E53 AMG because there are none in America. :nix: But Im considering the drive of an E400 4matic together with the drive of a C43 AMG and synthesizing the two should be indicative of how the E53AMG will drive. Thoughts?

tonecas 08-16-2018 10:07 PM

@@pop.tremuloides, what ever you do, do not show this to your wife :)

tonecas 08-17-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1 (Post 7530740)

M

yeah, i think that is the case. the problem is there is a lot of marketing and few detailed explanations how things work. on the AMG we have a special version of the Air Body Control (AMG Ride Control), that is in itself an evolution from the Air Suspension (Airmatic?). But in all cases there are still coil springs involved and the air thing is actually a pneumatic system that works together with the coil springs.

Germancar1 08-17-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tonecas (Post 7531309)
yeah, i think that is the case. the problem is there is a lot of marketing and few detailed explanations how things work. on the AMG we have a special version of the Air Body Control (AMG Ride Control), that is in itself an evolution from the Air Suspension (Airmatic?). But in all cases there are still coil springs involved and the air thing is actually a pneumatic system that works together with the coil springs.

It is the case, all 4 corners of an air suspended Mercedes use air springs at all 4 corners. The only exception is the E400/E450 wagon which uses it at the rear only. This is very clear at any Mercedes technical site/document. I don't see what the confusion is.

M

pop.tremuloides 08-19-2018 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7528538)
Having driven the E300 and the E400, there is no way I would ever buy the E300. Especially at WOT there's a marked difference. It's a refined four cylinder for sure having driven a few four bangers but it cannot compete in refinement with the 2.0 TFSI Audi engine though.

Anyways my opinion is that the 400 is a much more refined and even quieter engine.

To each their own.

100% in agreement here. Wife and I test drove an E400 and some C series cars and while they are both very different styles the 2.0L engine was not appealing whatsoever. It always seemed like it was working way too hard for the associated RPM range. Our 2013 Audi A5 2.0L Turbo was a much different engine.

Originally Posted by tonecas (Post 7530883)
@@pop.tremuloides, what ever you do, do not show this to your wife :)

https://youtu.be/eWD-r-uLIsY?list=WL

Kind of too late ;)

So we ended up testing the E400 today along with some C series vehicles and let me tell you there is no way we can get an E series. WAY too big for us! However, we are now in the market for a 2019 AMG C43. The size and the engine really fit with what we are looking for in a car! They had a 2018 C43 sedan and it was a VERY nice vehicle! We are now looking to order a 2019 C43 coupe. This is the right size and styling for us it seems. We test drove an Audi S5 (2018) and it was similar to our "simple" 2013 A5...We were both not blown away by it. I cant get over the styling and some other minor things.

Good thing we have time to sit back and go over all of our options but the C43 Coupe seems like it is right up our alley!

:)

Whitney Sorrell 08-19-2018 02:10 AM

Great choice. The C43 is a funtastic ride. Parked next to one today. Beautiful and aggressive. And in the mountains, oh what fun!

tonecas 08-19-2018 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides (Post 7532552)
So we ended up testing the E400 today along with some C series vehicles and let me tell you there is no way we can get an E series. WAY too big for us! However, we are now in the market for a 2019 AMG C43. The size and the engine really fit with what we are looking for in a car! They had a 2018 C43 sedan and it was a VERY nice vehicle! We are now looking to order a 2019 C43 coupe. This is the right size and styling for us it seems. We test drove an Audi S5 (2018) and it was similar to our "simple" 2013 A5...We were both not blown away by it. I cant get over the styling and some other minor things.

Good thing we have time to sit back and go over all of our options but the C43 Coupe seems like it is right up our alley!

:)

that is great. if you're looking to something more sporty and short then C class seems the right choice. put an AMG on it. C43 or C63. the new AMG coupes from MB are getting very sexy. I never liked MB up until 3 years when they started showing some very nice and modern cars, with more responsive engines.

there is a section on this forum for posting images of the C and you should check out to see how great they can look with different specs. no need of trying to imagine things or dealing with a simulator that never gives the right color and brightness of the real thing.

V70cat 08-19-2018 06:45 AM

I would suggest that she consider a E53 or left over E43. The A6 will be a new design for 2019 and it is worth considering.

If you want a smaller car the 2019 BMW 3 has been updated for 2019 and also worth considering.

If you want a quiet car the upgraded glass insulation package on the E class is a nice option.

If cost is a significant factor I would also look at Pasat. I really like German cars but they don’t offer the reliability or value of others brands.

Hope this helps and she enjoys her new car.

jester1 08-19-2018 07:41 AM

"So we ended up testing the E400 today along with some C series vehicles and let me tell you there is no way we can get an E series. "

Isn't the coupe version significantly shorter then the sedan?

rbrylaw 08-19-2018 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jester1 (Post 7532640)
"So we ended up testing the E400 today along with some C series vehicles and let me tell you there is no way we can get an E series. "

The sedan is 193.8" L
The Coupe is 190" L

For some, 3" may not be significantly shorter.

superangrypenguin 08-19-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jester1 (Post 7532640)

No, and it rides fairly similar too as the sedan.

AZEZ 08-19-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7532673)
The sedan is 193.8" L
The Coupe is 190" L

For some, 3" may not be significantly shorter.

Its surprising how much one can feel 4 inches on a car.

The coupe and sedan really seem to have a different feel with the coupe's being a more sporty aggressive ride...and look for sure. The C63 AMG is a rocket! I drove a few with the AMG performance exhaust but it was too loud for both me and my wife. The C43 AMG struck a better balance but the performance exhaust seemed unnecessary for driving to the office, court, dinner, etc. My 2019 E53 AMG Cab on order does not have the AMG performance exhaust (personal preference ... the I6 biturbo has plenty of growl as is) but the salespeople mostly recommend the performance exhaust on these models. I was close to pulling the trigger on a C43 AMG Cab but I wanted the multicontour massaging seats and the larger screens, plus I still have kids in my car every now and then. Once they are out of the house the C43AMG will be back on the radar.

Comparing to the BMW 3 series, the MB has better styling and aesthetics especially inside the car. I drove a few 3 series earlier in life and love BMWs in general but they really are utilitarian on the inside. Not much sex appeal. To compete with the C43AMG, you'd probably need to look at a 4M Coupe which is a nice looking car and fast but can get pricey. The Audi 4 series doesn't compare to either IMHO.

kingscorpian27 08-19-2018 08:14 PM

E300 has plenty of power in sports mode

To each each his own. I think the E300 is perfectly fine and when driven in anything except Eco mode ihas good pickup especially Sports Mode. I don’t drive more than 5MPG above speed limit. I will admit the motor is a bit raspy when just started but fine once running. I have a fully loaded E300 Luxury model with P3 package and just about every option except for two I really wanted. Airmatic suspension and heated steering wheel because it was already on the lot and I didn’t special order as I would normally. Price was right so I went for it and have no regrets after 14 months. BTW I had a 2015 C300 and there is no comparison

Originally Posted by AZEZ (Post 7528595)
Sure seems everyone except RBRYLAW agrees the e300 series is a dog. Sorry that this hurts your feelings. 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds. This is 2 seconds slower than the E53AMG, and 1 second slower than the E400. The E400 is no race car, but ample for most drivers. And to be 1 entire second slower speaks volumes as to the underpowered nature of the E300. I drove it and couldn't get out of that car fast enough.

Lets put this into perspective. A Toyota Sienna van has 0-60 MPH in 7.0 seconds. Not too far behind and certainly comparable to the E300. Do you want to pay $80,000 for that performance? My wife drives 5 MPH under the speed limit and she loves her 4 cylinder BMW X1 iDrive. Its fine to drive to the grocery store but it would drive me crazy to have this as my every day car. Driving her little SUV to the mountains is unexciting and hard to get up the steep hills. Her X1 is 6.3 seconds 0-60 MPH. So, my wife's dog of an SUV, which is great for her, is the same performance as the E300. It will be tough to get up steep hills and the person asking for advice on this thread lives in the mountains over 8,000 feet. The E300 would be considered a "dog" in that environment for sure. Sorry to rbrylaw if this hurts your partner's feelings, but a dog is a dog. My wife loves hers and I love my wife, but that doesn't change the fact that 0-60 in 6.3 seconds is a dog, especially in the mountains, and not something I personally value at an $80,000 sticker.

AZEZ 08-21-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7532978)
To each each his own. I think the E300 is perfectly fine and when driven in anything except Eco mode ihas good pickup especially Sports Mode. I don’t drive more than 5MPG above speed limit. I will admit the motor is a bit raspy when just started but fine once running. I have a fully loaded E300 Luxury model with P3 package and just about every option except for two I really wanted. Airmatic suspension and heated steering wheel because it was already on the lot and I didn’t special order as I would normally. Price was right so I went for it and have no regrets after 14 months. BTW I had a 2015 C300 and there is no comparison

This post was created by a couple living in the mountains interested in performance. Driving through the mountains 50 miles a day looking for excitement in this setting is not E300 friendly. If the poster specified they rarely drive over the speed limit and features are more important than performance, then your car may be suitable, but those specs were not the point of this discussion

tonecas 08-21-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AZEZ (Post 7532741)
Its surprising how much one can feel 4 inches on a car.

yeah, me too. it seems our brain has some difficulty dealing with these differences as we only imagine the impact over the length and not what that implies over the all structure. kind of a guy that measures 1.80m next to a guy with 1.86m. 6cm doesn't seem much but in reality the difference is more visible than one would imagine at a first glance, since those 6cm will bring more body width and mass.

so 4 inches in length on a car is quite a big difference. and for an S class even more.

superangrypenguin 08-21-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kingscorpian27 (Post 7532978)

How does your E300 with air suspension ride?

rbrylaw 08-21-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 7534625)
How does your E300 with air suspension ride?

If I'm reading what he wrote correctly, the car was loaded with every option he wanted, EXCEPT Air Suspension and Heated Steering wheel which were not on the car he purchased off the lot. I could be wrong too.......

superangrypenguin 08-21-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7534630)
If I'm reading what he wrote correctly, the car was loaded with every option he wanted, EXCEPT Air Suspension and Heated Steering wheel which were not on the car he purchased off the lot. I could be wrong too.......

Apologies. Based on your comment I re-read it and I agree with your interpretation.