2019? Audi to MB for wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Apologies. Based on your comment I re-read it and I agree with your interpretation.
On air suspension. I'm sure it's great. I've never driven a MB car outfitted with it. I don't want to either. I've never been unhappy with the ride of my MB cars with a standard suspension. To me, it's just another expensive system that could ultimately require expensive service if and/or it breaks. At least that's what I've convinced myself. It's kind of like the Premium Premium Burmester with the Star Trek Rotating Tweeter Surround Sound System you can get for what like $6K. I'm sure it would make me have an orgasm if I heard it, but the standard Burmester Surround Sound system sounds pretty darn good to my ears. I believe it's called the Value of Diminishing Returns. But that could just be me.
The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
On air suspension. I'm sure it's great. I've never driven a MB car outfitted with it. I don't want to either. I've never been unhappy with the ride of my MB cars with a standard suspension. To me, it's just another expensive system that could ultimately require expensive service if and/or it breaks. At least that's what I've convinced myself. It's kind of like the Premium Premium Burmester with the Star Trek Rotating Tweeter Surround Sound System you can get for what like $6K. I'm sure it would make me have an orgasm if I heard it, but the standard Burmester Surround Sound system sounds pretty darn good to my ears. I believe it's called the Value of Diminishing Returns. But that could just be me.
Fair point but I seem to remember you buy the 7 year warranty due to the good prices that you get. That's covered for 6 years (air suspension), so there is that.

That said I've been through three brand new front end struts/springs in 6 years of owning the W204. So even with a traditional springs setup, the reliability has been terrible. Knowing what I know now, if I"m going to suffer from terrible suspension issues requiring replacement, I'll pay the $2K up front to get air springs and have MB fix it all under warranty (at a much bigger cost to them since I have air springs). The only party losing here is MB, so yay
Old 08-21-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Fair point but I seem to remember you buy the 7 year warranty due to the good prices that you get. That's covered for 6 years (air suspension), so there is that.

That said I've been through three brand new front end struts/springs in 6 years of owning the W204. So even with a traditional springs setup, the reliability has been terrible. Knowing what I know now, if I"m going to suffer from terrible suspension issues requiring replacement, I'll pay the $2K up front to get air springs and have MB fix it all under warranty (at a much bigger cost to them since I have air springs). The only party losing here is MB, so yay
Fair points all. But I've never had a suspension issue on any MB car I've owned. Perhaps I'm just a lucky sort of fellow!
superangrypenguin (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Over the years I've had no problems with standard suspension. The Airmatic suspension is an entirely different story. When I had it there was at least one strut failure every year. The last time I had to pay for it. That is why I'll never have an out of warranty Airmatic car.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Ive installed a pair of JL Audio W6 10" subs and a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000W amp (its huge) in the trunk of my 7 series BMW; the sound is better than any stereo I've heard and a fraction of the cost for the super duper premium Burmester. But my new E53 AMG Cabriolet will have no room in the trunk for this sort of equipment so Im wondering how much i will notice not having a concert hall following me around on my drives.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by ua549
Over the years I've had no problems with standard suspension. The Airmatic suspension is an entirely different story. When I had it there was at least one strut failure every year. The last time I had to pay for it. That is why I'll never have an out of warranty Airmatic car.
Switch to Arnott after the car goes out of warranty.
arnottdoug (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AZEZ
Ive installed a pair of JL Audio W6 10" subs and a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000W amp (its huge) in the trunk of my 7 series BMW; the sound is better than any stereo I've heard and a fraction of the cost for the super duper premium Burmester. But my new E53 AMG Cabriolet will have no room in the trunk for this sort of equipment so Im wondering how much i will notice not having a concert hall following me around on my drives.
You won't notice, because you'll have the top down and the world as your sound system!