E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Acoustic Comfort package

Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I have no clue if my E400 has B63. Where would I look to find out?
E400 does not have this. This fake noise piping BS (pardon the French) is only on the E300, and is one other reason I personally do not like the E300, in fact "hate" is too strong a word but that's more in line with how I feel about the E300 because of said fake noise!! Sigh.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hahaha - reading your story reminds me of the nightmare that was Japanese cars when I owned an Infiniti. It was an unmitigated disaster and have thus decided to stay with MB. Even right now, I'm torn between a W213, a W222, and a 2019 Audi A8. Methinks I'll stick with MB, even if I do like the Audi looks/interior better. A car's main job is still to get from A-> B...and well, Japanese cars sucked for that, and my last Audi was pretty much a disaster too. Sigh.
I actually tried to buy a Jaguar F Pace S before I wound up with the E400. But then I realized that of all the cars I've truly loved, they've ALL been Mercedes and I have a dealer who treats me beyond wonderful, who gives me a discount on any car I want either on the lot or ordered that no other dealership would likely ever match, so I'm just sticking with Mercedes, where I evidently belong.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
I actually tried to buy a Jaguar F Pace S before I wound up with the E400. But then I realized that of all the cars I've truly loved, they've ALL been Mercedes and I have a dealer who treats me beyond wonderful, who gives me a discount on any car I want either on the lot or ordered that no other dealership would likely ever match, so I'm just sticking with Mercedes, where I evidently belong.
Thanks - I was just reading your posts, and went "yeah, guess I should follow his lead and stick with MB", and then I just stumbled upon Youtube links about the build quality of MB cars! I started a thread. I cannot wait to get your input there!!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks - I was just reading your posts, and went "yeah, guess I should follow his lead and stick with MB", and then I just stumbled upon Youtube links about the build quality of MB cars! I started a thread. I cannot wait to get your input there!!
I responded to your new thread. That's bonkers and so NOT reality. If you were nearby, you could come over and push against any of the trim pieces in either of our E cars and you'll NOT hear anything like that. Nothing. Zip. Nadda.

superangrypenguin (08-20-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
I came across something very interesting today, and I require a little help. On the MBWorld VIN decoder, for those of you with the acoustic comfort package, can you please tell me what that line item says? It should be under the "Exterior" section.

On a car that I believe does not have the package, all it says, under the "Exterior" section is "Light tinted glass" and there is no "laminated glass" line either. Thus, for those of you who know you have it on your car, can you please copy/paste what it says under those line(s)?

Thank you

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 08-22-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
I have the Acoustic Comfort Package and the MBWorld.org vin decoder says "Light tinted glass". There are many vin decoders that may return differing results. IMO The best vin decoder is here.

As far as laminated glass, in the US by law front windshields must be laminated. Other glass can be laminated or tempered. Tempered glass is less expensive to produce and is not as strong as laminated glass. That said, it appears that the side glass on my car may be laminated. The edges of the glass are slightly indented and somewhat soft to the touch.

Last edited by ua549; 08-22-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
W213
In Europe a car with the acoustic comfort package (PAF) is recognizable because it also has the option code (596) heat- and soundproof infrared reflecting laminated safety glass.
The glass itself (side windshields) is labeled with "XI" .
Old 08-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
I don’t have the acoustic package and I love the sound when I’m driving my e class. Last weekend I test drove an e400 coupe and couldn’t tell the difference in sound when I got in back in my car. The so called artificial sound feature does a really good job of recreating the sound of a silky six cylinder as far as my ear is concerned.

Rbrylaw, have you done back to back drives with both engines? What’s your take on the sound?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CarFan1
I don’t have the acoustic package and I love the sound when I’m driving my e class. Last weekend I test drove an e400 coupe and couldn’t tell the difference in sound when I got in back in my car. The so called artificial sound feature does a really good job of recreating the sound of a silky six cylinder as far as my ear is concerned.

Rbrylaw, have you done back to back drives with both engines? What’s your take on the sound?
Yes, I've gone directly from the E400 to the E300 and back again. My take is I didn't even know they were amplifying engine sounds into the cabin on the E300 until I read it here. I'm likely in the minority here, but I think the E300 has a satisfying sound and is also very responsive to drive. I do enjoy the extra power in my E400 and it does sound different, perhaps it's the smoothness of the Twin Turbo V6, but to me the E300 sounds and drives very nicely.
CarFan1 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
I agree with rbrylaw. The 4 cylinder engine does a very nice job of responding well. Part of this good response is the 9 speed transmission. Mercedes has done an excellent job of matching the engine and transmission. The engine always seems to be in the "right power band for good response". Even on the highway, the response is immediate and very smooth. At first, I too thought I would "dislike" having an "engine sound" piped into the car via the sound system.......but it is unobtrusive, and seems quite appropriate......and the other upside is excellent fuel economy. (A recent trip from Orlando to Tampa netted 35 MPG!....without even trying.....and this is at 75 - 80 MPH)......the car is 3800 pounds, and was loaded with luggage, and not even broken in yet! The only caveat I have, is the engine loudness at idle, as heard only from the outside. This seems to be getting quieter though as time goes on, or I am getting more used to it! As far as the acceleration goes ....this is my wife's car and she will never use as much acceleration as this car offers. (If I want faster acceleration, I will drive my Porsche)......The workmanship on our car is pretty good. Yes there were a couple of small issues, but overall, we are very satisfied with the E 300, and the dealer has been good as well. (how many times do you hear satisfied on a car blog these days?)

rbrylaw......which Dealer have you been using?
Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We’ve shopped at Mercedes of Tampa, since 1995. Funny you should use as example the drive from Tampa to Orlando. We just came back from Orlando in the E300. Traffic was brisk and our speed was between 75 and 80 most of trip. Anyone who says the E300 is loud or strains at such speeds is simply, utterly wrong. The car handled great. It was super quiet and the engine felt it had plenty of power on hand if it was needed. The 9 speed transmission is amazing and shifts are seamless.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The engine/transmission has several "flat spots" where it tries to accelerate without downshifting causing a delay. The one that affects me the most is town driving at 35 mph in 6th gear trying to accelerate in comfort mode. The delay is a) disconcerting and b) not safe. It isn't an issue in sport+ mode.

As far as noise goes that is a very personal perception. Hearing acuity varies greatly between people. Some folks don't mind exhaust noise and even pay extra for it. I hate it.
tonecas (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
We’ve shopped at Mercedes of Tampa, since 1995. Funny you should use as example the drive from Tampa to Orlando. We just came back from Orlando in the E300. Traffic was brisk and our speed was between 75 and 80 most of trip. Anyone who says the E300 is loud or strains at such speeds is simply, utterly wrong. The car handled great. It was super quiet and the engine felt it had plenty of power on hand if it was needed. The 9 speed transmission is amazing and shifts are seamless.
We make that trip often and I couldn't agree more! And with drive pilot activated on I-4, any traffic slow downs are no longer a burden. We just sit back, turn on the massage, some chill music, and let the car drive lol. What a great car!
dukester34 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Oh I totally agree with you that I think the E class's system is much better than the upgraded C class one. Although to this day, if there is one sum of money I am SO pleased to have spent, it would be for the $1000 I spent to upgrade my 204's sound system to the Logic 7 sound system by HK. HK is a run of the mill "Brand" which isn't even known to have anything above an average sound quality, but this $1,000 has been the best money I have ever spent on a car. I'd take that over many factory sound systems, with the exception of the super high end systems (Burmester 3D, Mark Levinson on the new LS500, etc), but those cost at least 6x as much.
The Burmester 3D is very very good. The bass is tight, and not boomy, and the mids and highs are so crisp. Night and Day from the Logic 7 system I have in the W211. When you receive a cell phone call, their voice comes in so crisp and clear. The upgrade of course, is a lot more than the Logic 7 was back in the day.

One downside is that my sunglasses holder in the ceiling is now gone. Pricey but worth it to me!
superangrypenguin (08-28-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
I got news from MB Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The option for the Acousitc Comfort Package is not currently available in Canada. We are actively looking into offering it for the next model year, however no final decision has yet been made."

^MB Canada is referencing the MY20 E class.

FINGERS CROSSED! Well darn, now what do I do? Buy the S, or wait for the E?

Frigging decisions!!! (The E is a much better car on ALL fronts for my needs, but I'd have to wait another year and "hope")...

Sigh
Old 09-06-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
i don't understand the issue with some optionals. really can't. why an ACP should not be available in one country? in what basis are made these decisions?
i see pano roofs being shipped as series in countries that have bad weather, but i live in a good weather country and have to pay extra for that.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S450-4matic
No PAF package in Canada

Consider yourself lucky, I ordered a 2019 E-300 with the PAF package here in the States and having owned both a 2018 without the PAF pkg and a 2019 with the PAF pkg you can’t hear or feel the difference. Save your money and don’t waste it on this $1100 package that does nothing. The glass is single pane glass that does absolutely nothing to deaden the sound inside the cabin of the car. It’s a MB gimmick. I had double paned glass on an Audi A8 a number of years back and that worked well, on the MB E300 it’s just smoke and mirrors.
Doc
Old 09-17-2018, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by riamga
Consider yourself lucky, I ordered a 2019 E-300 with the PAF package here in the States and having owned both a 2018 without the PAF pkg and a 2019 with the PAF pkg you can’t hear or feel the difference. Save your money and don’t waste it on this $1100 package that does nothing. The glass is single pane glass that does absolutely nothing to deaden the sound inside the cabin of the car. It’s a MB gimmick. I had double paned glass on an Audi A8 a number of years back and that worked well, on the MB E300 it’s just smoke and mirrors.
Doc
In a hot climate such as Florida the PAF package is worth it. The glass is laminated dual pane. After parking for a hour in the hot sun the interior is still cool. The sound deadening is primarily via additional material in the rear seat flooring area. It works well keeping road noise out. But the primary benefit is the heat reflective glass.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
The ACP brings also double the deadening material in the doors and all the windows except the rear are 50% thicker. I find it odd to not have impact on the noise level. There is also the thermal protection.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tonecas
The ACP brings also double the deadening material in the doors and all the windows except the rear are 50% thicker. I find it odd to not have impact on the noise level. There is also the thermal protection.
I'm not surprised someone doesn't hear a difference in sound level. The inside of a stock E is already incredibly quiet. Any difference would be minimal at best. UA does offer a good point about the heat reflective nature of the glass however.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by riamga
Doc
There are a ton of variables here.

1) Road noise due to tires. Same tire? Same circumference?
2) Acoustic glass/e.g. dual pane glass is meant to cut down on really, only one thing, which is wind noise. If you're not driving at 70mph, as an example, you will not hear the difference. The faster you go the more difference this package makes.
3) I find that the majority of human beings (I'm included) are not able to be objective enough with measurements with what god has given them. Try a decimeter (and the same one at that) and measure. I bet you my life savings that there is a difference.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-17-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a ton of variables here.

1) Road noise due to tires. Same tire? Same circumference?
2) Acoustic glass/e.g. dual pane glass is meant to cut down on really, only one thing, which is wind noise. If you're not driving at 70mph, as an example, you will not hear the difference. The faster you go the more difference this package makes.
3) I find that the majority of human beings (I'm included) are not able to be subjective enough with measurements with what god has given them. Try a decimeter (and the same one at that) and measure. I bet you my life savings that there is a difference.
I'm sure there's some difference. There has to be. BUT, the bigger question is if someone is plunking down $1100 for what they are told will be a quieter environment, is the difference worth the price of admission? For me, I can say it would be an absolute no. I find the interior of both of our E's to be beyond quiet without the PAF that the investment wouldn't provide a perceptible difference enough to justify the expense. I can see if you park your car in the summer sun for 8 - 10 hours a day, the glass itself could be an advantage. But there too a good aftermarket Nano film can provide major heat savings for way less than $1100.

Just my random ramblings.........
Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
I'm sure there's some difference. There has to be. BUT, the bigger question is if someone is plunking down $1100 for what they are told will be a quieter environment, is the difference worth the price of admission? For me, I can say it would be an absolute no. I find the interior of both of our E's to be beyond quiet without the PAF that the investment wouldn't provide a perceptible difference enough to justify the expense. I can see if you park your car in the summer sun for 8 - 10 hours a day, the glass itself could be an advantage. But there too a good aftermarket Nano film can provide major heat savings for way less than $1100.

Just my random ramblings.........
I think we've talked about this subject before. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I may, i'll share my personal opinion on this. In Canada, ALL of the 3 major German automakers do not offer any form of dual glazing in the mid size sedan range. I was happily test driving a 540 2018 last week which I was told had acoustic glass worldwide, and as soon as I took it to 70mph, I called BS and sure enough, after I looked, it wasn't dual pane acoustic glass.

So for my purchasing decisions, it's not a $1100 option here, it's a $20,000 option as I am "forced" to choose between a 2019 A8 and a 2019 S class, as both the 2019 A6 and the 2019 E class do not have these packages available for purchase in Canada.

If MB offers this option for MY20 E class, I'll be able to save $20K and buy that instead, but for now, this silly penguin is stuck with a flagship sedan which he does not need (size wise) but it crosses off one of his wants (a tomb like driving experience).

So again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am simply jealous here that in the US, you folks have the option for this package, versus here in Canada, there is no option at all.

I was just speaking with one of Autocar's magazines editors this morning (long story), and the fact is acoustic glass is the ONLY remedy for wind noise (for those of us who care to cut it out)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think we've talked about this subject before. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I may, i'll share my personal opinion on this. In Canada, ALL of the 3 major German automakers do not offer any form of dual glazing in the mid size sedan range. I was happily test driving a 540 2018 last week which I was told had acoustic glass worldwide, and as soon as I took it to 70mph, I called BS and sure enough, after I looked, it wasn't dual pane acoustic glass.

So for my purchasing decisions, it's not a $1100 option here, it's a $20,000 option as I am "forced" to choose between a 2019 A8 and a 2019 S class, as both the 2019 A6 and the 2019 E class do not have these packages available for purchase in Canada.

If MB offers this option for MY20 E class, I'll be able to save $20K and buy that instead, but for now, this silly penguin is stuck with a flagship sedan which he does not need (size wise) but it crosses off one of his wants (a tomb like driving experience).

So again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am simply jealous here that in the US, you folks have the option for this package, versus here in Canada, there is no option at all.

I was just speaking with one of Autocar's magazines editors this morning (long story), and the fact is acoustic glass is the ONLY remedy for wind noise (for those of us who care to cut it out)
Your hearing must be much much more sensitive than mine. At 80 MPH, in my E400, wind noise is barely perceptible.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
2019 Burmester stereo -- adding a subwoofer?

Before MB started using Burmester, I was VERY happy with the HK Logic 7 system in my 2012 E350 Coupe. If you want a 2019 GLE, it still comes with the HK Logic 7 System, but will turn over to the Burmester, when the new GLE comes out sometime in 2019 as a 2020 model. It will also have the new I6 with battery backup boost engine that is coming in the 2019 CLS. It's going to be a major league bump up in engine sound and fun factor for sure. My first ever MB was a 1995 E320 with a 217HP Inline 6. I loved that car more than I could imagine. It had such great acceleration for a heavy car and it was built like a bank vault. Just the sound of the door closing with the strong THUNK sound was amazing. And I loved the one wiper blade system. It was sure poetry in motion as it moved up to wipe the entire windshield, then back down on return.
Ive always added subs and amps to my cars in the past but my E53AMG Cabrio wont have enough space for the 2 JL Audio W6 subs w/ enclosed box and the ginormous Rockford Fosgate Power amp. There is a small space under the convertible top casing that seems to be more or less dead space. I found a JL Audio 12" enclosed sub with built in amp that will fit the space. Listening to the stereo this weekend I was pleasantly surprised with the quality sound, but after years of being accustomed to subs, the bass does sound a bit boomy and not quite as clear or hard hitting as i'd like. Wondering if anyone else has added a sub to their Benz, particularly anyone installing a sub under the convertible top box.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acoustic Comfort package