The interior stays lit even when the car is closed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E200 W213
The interior stays lit even when the car is closed

Hello guys,

I've had many problems with my 2016 w213 e200 sedan, thankfully however, none were fatal. The most worrying is probably the interior lighting. When I close the car or when I shut the engine and leave the car in the garage, sometimes, some parts of the interior stay lit up : the analog clock, the LED inside the door handles and the little light in the rear view mirror as well as the footwell area are all lit up. I say sometimes because it seems to happen randomly. ( a picture of the interior is attached, it was taken after the car was closed ). My main concern is that I would find the battery dead after 2 or 3 days in the garage because of the interior lighting. I now always check my car in the garage after 1 hour of arriving home just to check nothing is lit up inside. The solution for now seems to push the lock button on the key even when the car is already closed.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

Thank you.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
On my C class, which isn't an E class, I can set a delay for when the lights go out. See whether you have this option on yours and set it for a smaller interval. Having said that, it is normal for the interior lights to stay on after you've exited the car and locked it. They will you out after a while. Just admire the car while the lights are on, especially with the purple you've chosen...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E200 W213
Originally Posted by guhvies
On my C class, which isn't an E class, I can set a delay for when the lights go out. See whether you have this option on yours and set it for a smaller interval. Having said that, it is normal for the interior lights to stay on after you've exited the car and locked it. They will you out after a while. Just admire the car while the lights are on, especially with the purple you've chosen...
I have already set the timing to OFF. It still happens anyway. I do enjoy the interior but it attracts unwanted eyes when parked outside at night while consuming substancial energy.
You can't go wrong with purple
Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Has the lighting always been that way from new ?

Sounds like a software bug or there is a switch somewhere that is not activated properly when the car is closed leaving the system thinking a door is open or something alike?.

In the settings, instead of turning the interior lighting off altogether, have you tried setting it to 10 or 15 seconds ?

I would get it checked out by MB at the earliest opportunity if I were you.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Is your key staying somewhere near the car? This sounds like keyless go waking the car up unnecessarily. Try pushing the lock button twice on the fob to disable it and see if it still happens when you leave the car.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
either way - just the bottom portion of the interior staying on isnt right ....
Old 09-01-2023, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Neapolis
I have already set the timing to OFF. It still happens anyway. I do enjoy the interior but it attracts unwanted eyes when parked outside at night while consuming substancial energy.
You can't go wrong with purple
Did you ever get it fixed?
Old 09-01-2023, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Check the dome light switch in the center switch panel above the rear view mirror, It is just to the right of the off switch.
Old 09-01-2023, 04:58 PM

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ua549
Check the dome light switch in the center switch panel above the rear view mirror, It is just to the right of the off switch.
The interior physical light switch is off light is red so my interior lights are turned off and I like it that way when I open the door I don't want them to turn on. It used to work that way no matter how long I didn't use my car. Now My case is that overnight of not using the car the red light will be off and when I unlock the car the interior lights will turn on... Curious what might be going on and why it's not remembering it overnight. Also noticed the clock won't auto sync, after I changed the battery as well. Usually it would after 3-4 days.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
That center light switch is a toggle. If light is on it will turn it off; off will turn it on.
Another possibility is when you removed power to change the battery, several functions may have been reset and need to be reprogramed. That would explain the clock not syncing.

If you backed up your profile, reload the backup. Whenever I change a setting, I backup my profile.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:50 PM

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ua549
That center light switch is a toggle. If light is on it will turn it off; off will turn it on.
Another possibility is when you removed power to change the battery, several functions may have been reset and need to be reprogramed. That would explain the clock not syncing.

If you backed up your profile, reload the backup. Whenever I change a setting, I backup my profile.
Yeah my profile is loaded, and there is no programming needed I've changed the battery before 0 issues. Now it's not remembering overnight if I had the interior lights off. I wonder if there's a small draw and the car is shutting off power causing electronics to reset