MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   213 likes and dislikes (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/721168-213-likes-dislikes.html)

Tiburonsteve 09-14-2018 12:45 AM

213 likes and dislikes

Got my E 2017 E300 in December 2016, so I’ve learned to like and dislike certain things.
Dislikes:
-Navigation system which cannot display your route in list form and provides little advance notice of turns and freeway exits. Apple Car Play isn’t much better but I’m hoping these issues will go away next week when IOS is updated to allow Waze and Google maps on car play.
-Seat adjustment which requires holding down the 1 or 2 button and which means standing outside to do this if your spouse had the seat all the way forward.
-Overly complex and non-intuitive controls. When you have to take multiple lessons from a technologist to learn how to control a car, something is wrong.

-Love the 4 cylinder engine. Very quick and peppy and I’ve been getting as much as 34-36 mpg on the road.
-Quiet and comfortable with great handling
​​​​​​-Also love the heads up display. Wish it were available on all cars (although it can be hard to read—especially the blue numbers/letters.
-So far, my car has been very trouble free (knock on wood)

johna1 09-14-2018 01:39 AM

OK, I got my E220d in May 17.
Dislikes:
Apple play is so clunky and their navigation is not as good as the MB system (in NZ).
Parking Pilot is quite flakey
Command takes too long to boot up, I can't change the radio station until it's gone through its sequence
Can't disable seatbelt reminder chime

Mpg is fantastic, but so is performance
Panoramic sunroof is awesome
MB speech recognition is very accurate
Car feels solid and well built
I smile every time I get into it

ua549 09-14-2018 08:33 AM

After a full year with my E300 my most annoying dislike is the engine. It is noisy and lacks acceleration power especially in the 55-75 mph range. The fuel tank is too small for a long trip at slow speeds (typically < 18 mpg in 4th gear). It didn't have enough range to explore Everglades National Park and make it back to a fuel station with premium gas. It is strictly a city car. The upgraded seats are hard as a rock and the driver legroom is a bit short. I hate the run flat tires and lack of a place to store a spare tire. It is strictly a city car. Everything else about the car is great, especially the full digital dashboard. [/rant]

The car went in for its first A service and software update four days ago. I hope to get it back today. Meanwhile I'm driving a GLE 350 loaner.

CarFan1 09-14-2018 09:18 AM

Everyone has their own preferences, but its definitely not a city car. Having taken several road trips over the summer I saw that the ride is quite impressive and the fuel economy is phenomenal. I got well over 500 on a tank. I'm not sure the Everglades National Park is the test for whether a car is a city car or not IMHO.

ua549 09-14-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by CarFan1 (Post 7553879)
Everyone has their own preferences, but its definitely not a city car. Having taken several road trips over the summer I saw that the ride is quite impressive and the fuel economy is phenomenal. I got well over 500 on a tank. I'm not sure the Everglades National Park is the test for whether a car is a city car or not IMHO.

The trip to the Everglades addressed the issue of a small 66 l fuel tank. The car does not have enough range to drive from the coast, explore the park typically at 15-20 mph and return to the nearest premium fuel stop. I get about 260 miles of city driving (rarely out of 4th gear) on a full tank when the reserve light illuminates.

AhEmGee 09-14-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7553940)
The trip to the Everglades addressed the issue of a small 66 l fuel tank. The car does not have enough range to drive from the coast, explore the park typically at 15-20 mph and return to the nearest premium fuel stop. I get about 260 miles of city driving (rarely out of 4th gear) on a full tank when the reserve light illuminates.

I have the 220d which is quiet for a 4 cyl diesel and makes good torque low down, in town driving ( barely abovr 35mph to and from work) in traffic, I get 580-600 miles off a tank. On majority motorway miles then I'll get 650-700 easily!

SCRL 09-15-2018 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7553864)

(typically < 18 mpg in 4th gear)

You have the wrong engine :-)

I get 55 mpg from my E220d, giving me a nearly 800 mile range. And I still get 0-60 in about 7 seconds. Of course, that's British gallons (ours are bigger than yours, strangely), but our miles are the same!

I love pretty much everything else about the car, APART FROM the navigation system. What I wouldn't give to just transplant Google maps straight in. (And no, Apple Car Play doesn't really cut it, as it's clunky as hell.)

ua549 09-15-2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SCRL (Post 7554529)
You have the wrong engine :-)

I get 55 mpg from my E220d, giving me a nearly 800 mile range. And I still get 0-60 in about 7 seconds. Of course, that's British gallons (ours are bigger than yours, strangely), but our miles are the same!

I love pretty much everything else about the car, APART FROM the navigation system. What I wouldn't give to just transplant Google maps straight in. (And no, Apple Car Play doesn't really cut it, as it's clunky as hell.)

When I ordered the car that was the only engine fitted to an E Class (non-AMG) in the US. If the 6 cylinder engine was available, I would have bought it and used the car as a road car as well as a city car.

Tiburonsteve 09-15-2018 01:59 PM

SCRL-you are in luck. There’s a new Apple iOS update coming out Monday. Among other things, it will allow you to use Waze, Google Maps and other 3rd party navigation programs with Apple Car Play.

kingscorpian27 09-16-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CarFan1 (Post 7553879)

I have had over 500+ miles to the tank as well. As high as 34.5 MPG for the 1st 200+ miles and 31 at the end of 500+ miles. On my daily commute I am averaging high 300s close to 400 miles for the tank. To each his own but I happen to think acceleration and fuel economy are fantastic

DannyMBinNJ 09-19-2018 09:28 AM

First impressions and a few questions

just got my car last night. Love the power and sound...e450 4matic sedan. So although i love the options...it can be a bit distracting. I cant find a cigarette lighter in the front. I dont have a cell that has wireless charging. Also, my old c300 had ipod intergration. Its an older ipod that doesnt have Bluetooth...i dont see how to connect it...and it has 128g of music.

It is annoying that there is no way to skip/select next button on the steering wheel. You can do it but your center display has to be on music. Also, i had the cd player added...but you cant rip it to the hard drive. And unlike my dad's new bmw, the reading, map, and dome lights dont change colour with the ambient lighting.

Other than that i love it.

rbrylaw 09-19-2018 09:57 AM

The E no longer comes with a cancer stick lighter! Smoking is bad for you. If you smoke, maybe your car will help you quit! I haven't used an iPod in many years, so can't say for sure, but would imagine it can be connected to the same USB you would use for CarPlay next to the charging mat? Most people don't use CD's anymore. You can transfer up to 1 Terabyte of music to a memory card (which you insert in the center console and listen to that when it's plugged in.

Glad you're loving the new car!

ua549 09-19-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DannyMBinNJ (Post 7557557)
just got my car last night. Love the power and sound...e450 4matic sedan. So although i love the options...it can be a bit distracting. I cant find a cigarette lighter in the front. I dont have a cell that has wireless charging. Also, my old c300 had ipod intergration. Its an older ipod that doesnt have Bluetooth...i dont see how to connect it...and it has 128g of music.

It is annoying that there is no way to skip/select next button on the steering wheel. You can do it but your center display has to be on music. Also, i had the cd player added...but you cant rip it to the hard drive. And unlike my dad's new bmw, the reading, map, and dome lights dont change colour with the ambient lighting.

Other than that i love it.

There should be a 12v outlet on the back of the center console.
CD's are obsolete. There is no hard drive anymore. You can put your music on a USB stick or an SD card.
And like your dad's new BMW the E class interior is not shabby. It is superior.

LAC300 09-19-2018 01:43 PM

There's also a 12v outlet (cigarette-style but not a lighter) below the glove box on the left, you can plug things in there.

ua549 09-19-2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by LAC300 (Post 7557787)
There's also a 12v outlet (cigarette-style but not a lighter) below the glove box on the left, you can plug things in there.

That is only on some models depending upon which options are present. In my car there is only the one 12v outlet. It is in the console next to the 115v outlet.

LAC300 09-19-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7557800)
That is only on some models depending upon which options are present. In my car there is only the one 12v outlet. It is in the console next to the 115v outlet.

Learn something new every day! The console is a much more logical place.

ua549 09-19-2018 05:29 PM

The trouble with the console location (it's in the back seating area) is it is not convenient for use with a dashboard or visor device. I wish MB would put a USB connection (5v) on the overhead by the rear view mirror. That would handle most modern devices.

baadmon 11-23-2019 05:15 PM

My biggest dislike is the design of the steering wheel. I traded out of a 14 E350 with the square bottom steering wheel. On that version of the E there was two styles of a steering wheel that you could get. There was a luxury style steering wheel which was round at the bottom and there was the squared bottom steering wheel which I'd like to see on the new E.

Arnold_R 11-24-2019 09:08 AM

I recently purchased a 2018 E400 and I absolutely LOVE the car. The only thing I wish they had done differently is use aluminum for the doors, the doors on a coupé are very heavy. The hood and fenders are aluminum, why not the doors.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d9f1d4e913.jpg

whoover 11-26-2019 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Arnold_R (Post 7911212)
I recently purchased a 2018 E400 and I absolutely LOVE the car. The only thing I wish they had done differently is use aluminum for the doors, the doors on a coupé are very heavy. The hood and fenders are aluminum, why not the doors.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d9f1d4e913.jpg

I once got t-boned, right into my driver's door. I had a broken knee-cap. If the door were aluminum, I'd probably have been killed.

Arnold_R 11-27-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7912748)
I once got t-boned, right into my driver's door. I had a broken knee-cap. If the door were aluminum, I'd probably have been killed.

I believe there is a protective metal guard in the doors. I'm not sure sheet metal would be much different from aluminum in stopping an oncoming car. But then maybe there is a reason for not using aluminum.