E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

First impressions of my E450 Convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
First impressions of my E450 Convertible

So it’s been a day since I picked up my car. So far, it’s everything I thought owning a Mercedes-Benz would be! I love it. My wife loves it (she gets to drive it this week while I’m on a trip &#128553... my kids love it (my 13-year old daughter is already inquiring about her “getting it” when she graduates college in like 9 years)

A couple of items have me wondering, though....

1. Why aren’t there dedicated “Next track” and “Previous Track” buttons somewhere? This is the first car I’ve ever driven that doesn’t have them. While it certainly isn’t life-threatening, it’s a lot of swipes (especially in CarPlay) to simply go back or go to the next track

2. Why, oh why, does the car not figure out if I’m using my key and automatically recall all my settings? My wife’s GMC Yukon Denali does that.

3. Still traversing through the COMAND menus but I can’t seem to figure out how to select any of the 64 colors on my ambient lighting. I can get the presets well enough.

4. I find the car doesn’t auto-dim the 12” displays enough when it dims everything for night use. I have them at max brightness for day, but I had to go through the menus at night to turn it down from the retina-burning light level (don’t get me wrong... I love how bright they get during the day!)

some of these might be chocked up to being a COMAND newbie... please feel free to say “duh... this menu will fix your problem!”
Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I'm glad you're having fun with the car. Yes, for someone coming to Mercedes, Comand can be daunting. Read the manual. Read the manual. Take the manual with you and sit in the car and you'll become better at moving between tracks, etc.

Mercedes keys USED to be programmed individually. That stopped at some point. There are some threads on that and I just can't remember why they stopped it, but it was for some MB "logical" reason.

To get to the ambient light settings, just to System in Comand and.you'll find the settings there. OR, even simpler, press the speak button on your steering wheel and simply say "Ambient Lighting Settings" and they'll be brought up on screen.

There's a rotary dial next to the headlight knob to the left of the steering wheel. You can easily change the light level of the displays with that dial.

And no Duh's from me. It will all become second nature once you've learned how to do the things you wan. It just takes time when learning a completely new system and Comand is highly complex to begin with.

So, the wife will be driving your car while you're out of town? I'm telling you, the keys should just you know, somehow go in your carry on, you know, uh, er, um, by total mistake!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
So, the wife will be driving your car while you're out of town? I'm telling you, the keys should just you know, somehow go in your carry on, you know, uh, er, um, by total mistake!
too late.... on the plane at 34,000 feet as I type this. Nah... she deserves to have fun too! Now getting her not to let my teenage son with his Learner’s Permit drive is another story....

Thanks for the advice!
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (09-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sackboydad

too late.... on the plane at 34,000 feet as I type this. Nah... she deserves to have fun too! Now getting her not to let my teenage son with his Learner’s Permit drive is another story....

Thanks for the advice!
Have a good trip. I'm betting visions of MB Cabrio Plumbs dance in your head at night!
Old 09-16-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I'm glad you're having fun with the car. Yes, for someone coming to Mercedes, Comand can be daunting. Read the manual. Read the manual. Take the manual with you and sit in the car and you'll become better at moving between tracks, etc.

Mercedes keys USED to be programmed individually. That stopped at some point. There are some threads on that and I just can't remember why they stopped it, but it was for some MB "logical" reason.

To get to the ambient light settings, just to System in Comand and.you'll find the settings there. OR, even simpler, press the speak button on your steering wheel and simply say "Ambient Lighting Settings" and they'll be brought up on screen.

There's a rotary dial next to the headlight knob to the left of the steering wheel. You can easily change the light level of the displays with that dial.

And no Duh's from me. It will all become second nature once you've learned how to do the things you wan. It just takes time when learning a completely new system and Comand is highly complex to begin with.

Have been looking at the manuals on line which do not cover the 2019 model year yet🤨 but given my manual will be in french not my first language i may have a doubly steep learning clearning curve😆i know all the car settings menus etc from my previous c class but command is all new especially being able to connect to the internet which in my experience is never straightforward!
Old 09-16-2018, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
In US models there is a "Connections" menu item "Mercedes Apps" from which one can select browser, etc.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by parkwood
Have been looking at the manuals on line which do not cover the 2019 model year yet🤨 but given my manual will be in french not my first language i may have a doubly steep learning clearning curve😆i know all the car settings menus etc from my previous c class but command is all new especially being able to connect to the internet which in my experience is never straightforward!
The good news is there is very little difference between the 2018 and 2019 E Class.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanks for that. Have to say the on line manual is not very comprehensive. Mercedes do not really seem very good with apps and the even the main configuration site is slow and clunky. Not expecting much from mercedes me either had the not worth bothering strpped down version for the c which was pointless.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by parkwood
Thanks for that. Have to say the on line manual is not very comprehensive. Mercedes do not really seem very good with apps and the even the main configuration site is slow and clunky. Not expecting much from mercedes me either had the not worth bothering strpped down version for the c which was pointless.
The one thing the Mercedes Me app does and does well is Send to Benz. You can send an address to your car in advance, which is pretty nice and much less frustrating than trying to say the address verbally to Comand. Though Comand does accept verbal address input much better than it did in 2016.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM

That would be good. The garmin audio 20 was a nightmare to set the destination here simply because many destination names are long some with hyphens some not and many begin saint or sainte.....i reverted to setting by the map fequently after researching on a trusty paper michelin map!
i tried some voice navigation commands in the loaner c i have and it could not understand my destination pronounciations.......so if i can send the address from the phone that will be much easier.
pick up is weds and am beginning to get impatient😉
Old 09-16-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lI can well imagine you are getting impatient. It's simply weird how they do it over there. If my car had arrived Saturday morning, I would have been able to sign for it and drive it home Saturday afternoon.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Sackboy, I drove the E450 Cabrio yesterday and went through the Command system with the concierge, wow what a fantastic car Amazing power in that engine upgrade, certainly no need for more power (though Im keeping my order as the E53AMG ). Congrats and enjoy Seriously, Im impressed with how much power that tuned up engine packs, especially in sport mode. Damn. Honestly, for the price, this is an amazing value in my opinion. Reminiscent of Arthur in his Corniche Convertible but with technology light years beyond anything Rolls Royce contemplated in those days.