MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Finally - Self Dimming Adaptive Headlights in the US (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/724286-finally-self-dimming-adaptive-headlights-us.html)

rbrylaw 10-16-2018 12:25 PM

Finally - Self Dimming Adaptive Headlights in the US

I just read this article in Motor Authority - https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ive-headlights

Since the headlights in our cars have the ability to do this (at least I think they do) I wonder if our cars can be reprogrammed to include self dimming lights?

superangrypenguin 10-16-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7578482)
I just read this article in Motor Authority - https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ive-headlights

Since the headlights in our cars have the ability to do this (at least I think they do) I wonder if our cars can be reprogrammed to include self dimming lights?

This topic was brought up on another forum for Canada. Mercedes benz Canada has said that they will not reprogram existing cars.

rbrylaw 10-16-2018 03:53 PM

Well of course they won't. MB has never liked to open options to existing cars that didn't come with the car the day it was bought. I'll be pushing on my dealer on this here in the US though.......

teksurv 10-16-2018 07:11 PM

Thing is, if it was simply a matter of coding, I'd think we'd have seen something along these lines. I know in previous models the Intelligent lighting hardware differed between North American and Other markets. I'd like to be wrong and be able to have this coded into function.

rbrylaw 10-16-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by teksurv (Post 7578817)
Thing is, if it was simply a matter of coding, I'd think we'd have seen something along these lines. I know in previous models the Intelligent lighting hardware differed between North American and Other markets. I'd like to be wrong and be able to have this coded into function.

True, I don't know if we have different hardware in the US vs Europe. I know I paid for the Intelligent Lighting System and would hope it can accommodate a programming change to provide the same level of lighting function they've enjoyed for the last couple years. But to your comment we'd have seen something along these lines, according to the article I linked, the NHTSA didn't approve this change until October 11th, which was just 5 days ago.

teksurv 10-16-2018 07:45 PM

Hoping for the best. I also have the Intelligent Lighting System, meaning automatic leveling of light high and low with cornering lights based on condition. The "matrix" lighting feature that Europe and other markets have is amazing, and the article linked gives me hope.

Cao Black 10-16-2018 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by teksurv (Post 7578835)
Hoping for the best. I also have the Intelligent Lighting System, meaning automatic leveling of light high and low with cornering lights based on condition. The "matrix" lighting feature that Europe and other markets have is amazing, and the article linked gives me hope.

Do the Euro and US light assemblies have the same part nbr? Anyone?

guhvies 10-17-2018 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7579001)
Do the Euro and US light assemblies have the same part nbr? Anyone?

Logic dictates that since the euro and US lights are different, orange side light anyone, they'll have different part numbers.

fabbrisd1 10-17-2018 03:56 AM

My understanding is that a manufacturer is not allowed to "reprogram" lighting to anything different from what regulations applied to that vehicle on original entry into the US.

Example of this is the Illuminated Star - which originally was not allowed to be a active night time running light - and then 2yrs later was allowed as a active night time running light - technically a manufacturer cannot go back and reprogram that feature.

On future "adaptive headlight function" (interestingly was allowed under BiXenon - but not yet approved for LED) - that will have to be new Federal approval for next years models are submitted for Federal approval - that's my understanding.

rbrylaw 10-17-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 7579071)
My understanding is that a manufacturer is not allowed to "reprogram" lighting to anything different from what regulations applied to that vehicle on original entry into the US.

Example of this is the Illuminated Star - which originally was not allowed to be a active night time running light - and then 2yrs later was allowed as a active night time running light - technically a manufacturer cannot go back and reprogram that feature.

On future "adaptive headlight function" (interestingly was allowed under BiXenon - but not yet approved for LED) - that will have to be new Federal approval for next years models are submitted for Federal approval - that's my understanding.

Based on that understanding then, my car, which will enter the US this coming weekend from Bremerhaven, would qualify for reprogramming, since it will enter the country after the NHTSA ruled Self-Dimming Headlights are legal in the US?

bellavance 10-17-2018 03:40 PM

In Canada (and probably in the USA) we have the 84 LED headlights. If you look inside them from the front (when they're not powered) you'll see the individual LED elements.

In Canada, these headlights are self dimming, in that the car turns off one horizontal line of LEDs when meeting or following another vehicle. This is way best than nothing ... but not perfect, in that it's sometimes over reacting.

We don't have individual control, however, like in Europe, which is very unfortunate, notably as we've paid for it.

I'm certain MB will not reprogram said system in our vehicles ... they're in the business of selling new cars ... and they don't seem to care once the sale is made.

rbrylaw 10-17-2018 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bellavance (Post 7579534)
In Canada (and probably in the USA) we have the 84 LED headlights. If you look inside them from the front (when they're not powered) you'll see the individual LED elements.

In Canada, these headlights are self dimming, in that the car turns off one horizontal line of LEDs when meeting or following another vehicle. This is way best than nothing ... but not perfect, in that it's sometimes over reacting.

We don't have individual control, however, like in Europe, which is very unfortunate, notably as we've paid for it.

I'm certain MB will not reprogram said system in our vehicles ... they're in the business of selling new cars ... and they don't seem to care once the sale is made.

I'm sure you're right that we won't get any reprogramming from MBUSA. They'll just say we don't have the same lights as the ones in Europe and be done with it.

wdimagineer 10-25-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7579199)
Based on that understanding then, my car, which will enter the US this coming weekend from Bremerhaven, would qualify for reprogramming, since it will enter the country after the NHTSA ruled Self-Dimming Headlights are legal in the US?

No. NHTSA proposed the change but public comment is open until December. If FMVSS 108 is amended it won't become regulation until sometime in 2019 or 2020. Even then, the US could implement standards that differ from those used in other countries, meaning we'd still have matrix functionality, but visibility and glare requirements could vary.

That said, my old colleagues at VW/Audi/Porsche have stated they will likely plan to enable the technology after the fact. The new A6, A7, A8, and Q8 are being equipped with what are called "matrix-design" headlights that have the LED arrays (and in some cases, even the dynamic sweeping front turn signal) similar to the ILS headlamp enclosures on the E-Class. Internal sales documentation sent to dealers indicate the functionality will not be available at launch but will come later. Whether this means retroactive enable or only on new cars after a certain date, I'm not certain.

Mercedes may offer a retrofit. After all, there really is no reason to sell the ILS headlamps here since you can option the standard LED + auto high beam in other markets. Like Audi, I suspect this is on offer to support future changes in the regulatory environment.

And once I get my wagon, I'll be attempting a retrofit. I've retrofitted matrix lights to all my Audis and hope to succeed with the S213 and my new Xentry kit.

superangrypenguin 10-25-2018 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7586224)
No. NHTSA proposed the change but public comment is open until December. If FMVSS 108 is amended it won't become regulation until sometime in 2019 or 2020. Even then, the US could implement standards that differ from those used in other countries, meaning we'd still have matrix functionality, but visibility and glare requirements could vary.

That said, my old colleagues at VW/Audi/Porsche have stated they will likely plan to enable the technology after the fact. The new A6, A7, A8, and Q8 are being equipped with what are called "matrix-design" headlights that have the LED arrays (and in some cases, even the dynamic sweeping front turn signal) similar to the ILS headlamp enclosures on the E-Class. Internal sales documentation sent to dealers indicate the functionality will not be available at launch but will come later. Whether this means retroactive enable or only on new cars after a certain date, I'm not certain.

Mercedes may offer a retrofit. After all, there really is no reason to sell the ILS headlamps here since you can option the standard LED + auto high beam in other markets. Like Audi, I suspect this is on offer to support future changes in the regulatory environment.

And once I get my wagon, I'll be attempting a retrofit. I've retrofitted matrix lights to all my Audis and hope to succeed with the S213 and my new Xentry kit.

Audi Canada has officially said that retrofit enabling after approval is a given, and it will be free. AoA probably will do the same thing.