E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

The WORST MB I’VE OWNED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Agree, I've really had no issues with my E63 AMG nor my S550. Well built cars. I'm doing some checking on the improvement for Distronic on the 2019's asked the sales guy at the dealer I'm buying my car through. He thought it was just improved vision on the optical end of things and the software and not related to the GPS technology being used with the Distronic so I could be wrong on that. There definitely should be some improvements in the Distronic over previous model years it seems like that keeps getting more and more evolved since it's introduction in 2014 model year.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by haibieb
I guess C&D did not get much advertising from MB this year. CR rated the Volvo the worse in one of their "50" surveys they do for their subscribers. You just do not know what survey to believe these days.
I quite frankly don't care about where MB ranks in the pack. What surprised me was that out of all MB models CR tested, the E came out on the bottom of reliability. Based on your logic, maybe the E class team at MB gave less money to CR than the other classes, but I doubt it
Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Is the rating in C&D, post #24 or CR post #27.

I knew the editor of C&D and here is what he told me over 20 years ago, and I have no reason to believe it has changed: " Ranking depends on Ad revenue".

If you read the write ups in C&D, you are hard pressed to ever find a bad review. Back then they even found something they liked in a YUGO! While the numbers are accurate their conclusions are always biased in favor of a "wonderful car".

Reminds me of wealth managers (AKA "brokers"). The market is always going up and for every sell recommendation they will give 20 buy recommendations!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Mmmm...not sure what "buying MBs for 25 years" equates to...but sounds like for the most part you're ahead of the game if this is the 1st one that has given you any trouble. Fortunately not my case but I hope they get everything worked out for you...good luck!!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by JTK44
Is the rating in C&D, post #24 or CR post #27.

I knew the editor of C&D and here is what he told me over 20 years ago, and I have no reason to believe it has changed: " Ranking depends on Ad revenue".

If you read the write ups in C&D, you are hard pressed to ever find a bad review. Back then they even found something they liked in a YUGO! While the numbers are accurate their conclusions are always biased in favor of a "wonderful car".

Reminds me of wealth managers (AKA "brokers"). The market is always going up and for every sell recommendation they will give 20 buy recommendations!
I believe we're using CR and C&D interchangeably here. I'm not sure if I ended up doing that since I've had a long day, (edit, yes, my bad. I misspoke upthread) but let me be absolutely clear here. I am referring to CR.

In particular:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

Mercedes Benz is listed at 17. E class is listed as least reliable and the GLS is listed as most reliable. I would guess there are more E classes as a data point but I have absolutely nothing to backup my belief.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Wow!

According to CR, the only cars worse than Mercedes were American manufacturers and Volvo.

Well I lease and only for the warranty period, so any problems are Mercedes and not mine, plus I have three back up cars: A Ford Edge, a Porsche Boxster and a loaner from Mercedes
Old 10-31-2018, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by haibieb
I guess C&D did not get much advertising from MB this year. CR rated the Volvo the worse in one of their "50" surveys they do for their subscribers. You just do not know what survey to believe these days.
But if C&D rated reliability so low, why did they say this about it and say it's a 10 best over and over?

https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/e-class
Old 10-31-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
That says a lot about the competition.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I always take the ratings of all products with many, many grains of salt. Too many times these "reliable sources" rate products based upon criteria that are not important to me. For example, I don't give a hoot about fuel economy. If I can't torch a couple of dead dinosaurs on the way to the office, I'm not having fun. More seriously, are all of the "reliability" faults really show-stoppers, or are they the sort of thing we just keep a list of and have them addressed when in for next service?

This is "only" my third MB, but I've also had Cadillac and several Lexus. None of them are trouble-free. Lexus probably has fewer faults, but none of them are as rewarding to drive as the MB.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by SteveE400
I always take the ratings of all products with many, many grains of salt. Too many times these "reliable sources" rate products based upon criteria that are not important to me. For example, I don't give a hoot about fuel economy. If I can't torch a couple of dead dinosaurs on the way to the office, I'm not having fun. More seriously, are all of the "reliability" faults really show-stoppers, or are they the sort of thing we just keep a list of and have them addressed when in for next service?

This is "only" my third MB, but I've also had Cadillac and several Lexus. None of them are trouble-free. Lexus probably has fewer faults, but none of them are as rewarding to drive as the MB.
I 2nd that, I have said many times, you have not driven a car until you have driven a MB. You could not get me to drive a BMW if it was free. Drove Audi’s but not crazy about them and wouldn’t own or lease one. Thought about Lexus but the only one I would consider is the GS. Thought about it but never drove one.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I just got my car today, it seems like a very solid car. Yes I was right the GPS Nav is tied in with the Distronic. When you have a destination entered the car slows down for turns, pretty amazing. Really liking the car so far.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by riamga
NO ONE IS SHOUTING, NOT TO MENTION IT IS NOT POSSIBLE BY TEXT WRITING.
That's not true on my iPhone X, nor was it on my earlier phones. In fact, default is lower case, and the only way to get ALL CAPS is to press the "shift key" icon twice.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
HE SAID HE CAN'T SEE IT THAT WELL. OH AND PEOPLE THAT use engineering prints or drawings, they only use cap's on them. I honestly don't see a problem with it.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
HE SAID HE CAN'T SEE IT THAT WELL. OH AND PEOPLE THAT use engineering prints or drawings, they only use cap's on them. I honestly don't see a problem with it.
It is fascinating that some are offended by the caps and take it in as shouting when there is no sound at all.

It’s nothing but pixels on a screen ffs.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
It's just what is customary, that's all.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Netiquitte: There are pretty much established do's and don't's when communicating on the internet with others. Note the section on using all caps:

When communicating electronically, you do not have the luxury of your tone of voice, body language or hand gestures aiding you in getting your point across clearly. Therefore, internet users have developed some widely accepted techniques that contribute to proper "Netiquette." Being mindful of the several tips listed below to ensure that your communications over the Internet will not offend anyone.

Keep your messages short and to the point.

Many people do not like reading long messages on a computer screen, or worse, on the small screen of a cell phone or other mobile device.

Check your spelling.

Nobody likes trying to read an email with spelling mistakes. Most email programs today include spell checkers. Please, check your spelling before sending your messages.

Use plain text.

Elaborate text formatting such as Rich Text Format, HTML, and other fancy email formats can arrive as gibberish to the recipient if their mail client cannot properly decipher the message. To make sure that your message is readable, use a plain text format unless you are told otherwise by the recipient.

Use mixed-case letters.

Using all capital letters is considered SHOUTING, and is in bad taste. Using all lower-case letters can make your message difficult to read. Make sure that you turn off your caps lock before you start typing an email message, discussion group posting, or any other form of online communication.

Summarize the contents of your messages in the subject line.

Summarizing the contents of your messages in the subject will assist the recipient in organizing and prioritizing his or her email.

Compose your emails as though they will be posted publicly.

Email is not as private as you may think once it leaves your computer. Your email can very easily be forwarded by the recipient or printed out and left somewhere. If your message is safe to read in public, it is safe enough for email.

Only Carbon Copy (CC) your message to those who need to read it.

People receive a lot of extraneous email messages these days. Carbon copying your message to those who do not really need to read it will only add to the problem.

Use Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) when sending a message to a large group of people (especially those who may not know each other).

Using Blind Carbon Copy to send your message to a large group prevents the recipients from seeing the list of email addresses that the message was sent to. By listing all recipients in the "To" field of your message, you are effectively broadcasting each person's email address to everyone else on the list.

Only send your email messages to those recipients who wish to receive them.

Most bulk email (email that is sent to a large number of people) is considered to be spam (junk email). Spam email is considered to be annoying and unwanted by most people. Unless the message needs to be read by a large number of people (and in that case you should use blind carbon copy), do not send it.

Include your name at the bottom of your message.

Some older email programs do not make it easy to identify the sender of an email message. Including your name and return email address at the bottom of your message makes it easier for the recipient to identify and respond to you.

Keep file attachments as small as possible.

Large attachments (files over two megabytes) can clog up the recipient's emailbox and can also cause problems with older mail systems. Unless the recipient gives explicit permission to do so, do not send attachments larger than two megabytes.

Do not re-distribute material that is not yours.

This is essentially copyright infringement. Taking images from another's website for re-distribution, forwarding a personal email message, or sharing files or phrases that do not belong to you is considered to be rude and in many cases, illegal. Materials include: email messages, images, programs, music, movies, etc. This practice is often referred to as "leeching" files.

Keep your signatures or "sig files" short.

Signature files are usually composed of an individual's contact information and placed at the end of their email message. Signatures longer than 4-6 lines can get confusing and difficult to read.

Use abbreviations wisely.

In the quest to shorten email messages, many people use abbreviations for common phrases. Typical abbreviations such as BTW and FYI are acceptable to use, but less well-known abbreviations might be inappropriate or confusing to those who are new to the Internet.

Think before you hit the "send" button.

Sending harsh, attacking, and otherwise abusive email messages is called "flaming." It is very easy to respond to an email quickly without thinking about the ramifications of what you are saying. Misinterpreting an email message and then firing back a flame response is very easy to do and only leads to confusion and further flame messages.

Sending a flame message to someone who has "flamed" you will only worsen the situation. The most agreed upon course of action is to not respond to a flame message.

Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Most mailing lists, discussion groups, and newsgroups have prepared a Frequently Asked Questions document that offers answers to the most commonly asked questions. Asking questions that are already covered in the FAQ is often considered rude.

Always "lurk" in message boards, newsgroups, and forums before making your first post.

"Lurking" basically means that you are simply reading the posts of others without actually posting yourself. Many online forums have very specific rules of conduct and it is always suggested that you find out as much as you can about the general operation of a forum before actually posting.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 PM

2019 E450 sedan
Yes rb,

Signature files are usually composed of an individual's contact information and placed at the end of their email message. Signatures longer than 4-6 lines can get confusing and difficult to read.

Lol (mine is long too)

And blindly following “what is customary” is not what I’m used to nor what I teach my children.
My point was just that it’s interesting how we perceive what we read.

Last edited by CaptainE; 11-03-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaptainE
Yes rb,

Lol (mine is long too)

And blindly following “what is customary” is not what I’m used to nor what I teach my children.
My point was just that it’s interesting how we perceive what we read.
No one should blindly follow anyone. But there are just some things considered rude on internet forums and one of them is using all caps. That's why many pointed it out to the OP. I'm willing to bet that since most of us have signatures detailing the Mercedes cars we own, which happens to be on a forum dedicated specifically to those cars, we're forgiven for our transgression! LOL

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
The other thing to keep in mind is that type fonts are designed for different purposes. The standard Arial and Times New Roman fonts are designed for readability. The lower case letters lead the reader's eyes from one letter to the next, facilitating fast, accurate reading. The capital letters do not lead from one to the next -- these letters are merely designed to indicate the start of a new sentence, a name, etc. - not to enhance readability.

So. . . the mixed-case letters are really easier to read accurately. Isn't that what we're trying to accomplish here?
The following users liked this post:
Cambridgehank (11-03-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:49 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
In the end, if a person has an eye problem caps are just fine. We all can just live with it.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:57 AM

2019 E450 sedan
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
In the end, if a person has an eye problem caps are just fine. We all can just live with it.
Exactly, and yet no one person has explained how reading something translates to ‘hearing’ yelling in their brain.

And letters aren’t designed to lead to the next if upper case? Do you have a reference for this Steve or is it just what we’re used to?

Last edited by CaptainE; 11-04-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
Exactly, and yet no one person has explained how reading something translates to ‘hearing’ yelling in their brain.
It is a simile. A figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid (e.g., as brave as a lion, crazy like a fox ).
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess we've beat this subject to death at this point. Had the OP written that he was typing in all caps because of a vision issue, I suspect no one would have said anything. And had the OP not started his OP off with for anyone considering an E Class DON'T buy one and then ending his rant with go buy any other German car, he wouldn't have offended. But he did all that and for most issues he ranted about, they are easily addressed. That is why I had an issue with his post. Sure, if you're having issues, come to a forum and ask for guidance. But to condemn all E class because you're having issues is childish and immature. There. I said it.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 AM

2019 E450 sedan
Originally Posted by ua549
It is a simile. A figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid (e.g., as brave as a lion, crazy like a fox ).
Not sure where the simile is here however. Perhaps the thought of it being perceived as yelling is metaphorical.
Isn't it odd that the OP is absent from all of this discussion? That is rhetorical.

Time for a Sunday drive Rod?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure where the simile is here however. Perhaps the thought of it being perceived as yelling is metaphorical.
Isn't it odd that the OP is absent from all of this discussion? That is rhetorical.

Time for a Sunday drive Rod?
Already had my Sunday drive ! It's supposed to start raining around noon and there's just no way, no how, my perfectly clean car is getting dirty today. So, I'm home for the rest of the day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The WORST MB I’VE OWNED