MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Service A $395 + tax??? For E300 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/726556-service-395-tax-e300.html)

mobster600 11-08-2018 10:32 PM

Service A $395 + tax??? For E300

How much do you pay for a service A? $395 for oil, cabin filter, tire rotation, software update. I'm thinking this is a bit more then what I should be paying.

One thing to mention, my cupholder trim is peeling, leaving sharp edges, not fun. I went in and they said they will order the shiny black counsel and trim because its one piece.

I will get leave the car there and they will do the Service A and trim replace, loaner will be given.

So I feel they are taking care of me, but its definitely at a cost.

Final question- Is this what people pay for Service A's? Its hard to imagine all the people who have Mercedes and what about the higher end models paying this kind of money or more for a basic Service.....what do you guys think?

West_Coaster 11-09-2018 12:43 AM

Service A is next for me on my E300, I can tell you that the dealer will not be getting $395 for the service. I hear there are a lot of coupons for discounted service, and that you should talk to the service folks before you bring the car in so you have at least a slight bit of leverage in negotiating.

I suspect that people that just drive in get the worst prices.

cetialpha5 11-09-2018 03:22 AM

Depends on the dealer, some are more than others. You should check out to see if there are any service coupons for other dealers in the area, most dealers will price match. They used to be about $300 in this area, sometimes $250, but if you add a couple things to it like software update which isn't normally part of it unless that's under warranty, the price would be higher. You could look into getting a prepaid maintenance package. They're more worthwhile as a B A B service as they would just be the next service due. The B service tends to be in the $600 range and usually you can get it discounted slightly from the vendors mentioned in the extended warranty sub-forum. Nothing really major happens til sometime in the 40/60/80k range depending on the car. That's typically when plugs and transmission fluids need to be done and those are included whereas they're usually extra when just getting Service B.

Also be on the lookout for MB service specials, they had one not too long ago for $125 off $250 service. They seem to run those promos a couple times a year.

JTK44 11-09-2018 07:52 AM

At my dealer they advertise service A for $199:

see: https://www.rallyemotors.com/service-specials/

Another local dealer at $249:

see: https://www.mbhuntington.com/service/service-specials/

BTW, the cabin filter is not in service A but Service B. Service A is oil, filter, wiper blades and sometimes tire rotation plus inspections.

Software updates are no charge warranty items.

Hope this answers your question about whether $395 is reasonable.

ua549 11-09-2018 08:56 AM

The A service I had in September cost was about $250 (not sure) and I had a $125 discount coupon for a net cost of $125.

The_Judge 11-09-2018 01:08 PM

I paid $288.22 including tax at Mercedes Benz of South Bay in Torrance, CA, on 10/30/18. That did not include tire rotation or cabin filter as I had only 5000 miles on the car. It did include the software update. However, I did get several donuts and a lot of coffee in the deal, and a car wash, all free. ;-)

mobster600 11-09-2018 02:01 PM

Update- Called back the service desk today, my service person was off. And they said he misquoted me and it should be closer to $200. I’m waiting to hear back when I get the part in Wed 11/14, I’ll let you guys know what it comes out to be.

Im like $395 whaaaat? Lol I had to post it here and see if they were trying to milk me, or if it was misquoted.

Thanks for the feedback

cetialpha5 11-09-2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7598869)
The A service I had in September cost was about $250 (not sure) and I had a $125 discount coupon for a net cost of $125.

I just got an email from my dealer for $150 off $300. Can't find it on MB's site yet, but will post it if it comes up. It's supposed to be good til Dec 31st. Might just be targeted though because I didn't go the last time I had it.

As for the $395 error, those service advisers are on commission so if you willingly paid it, then it's just extra commission.

mobster600 11-09-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7599153)
I just got an email from my dealer for $150 off $300. Can't find it on MB's site yet, but will post it if it comes up. It's supposed to be good til Dec 31st. Might just be targeted though because I didn't go the last time I had it.

As for the $395 error, those service advisers are on commission so if you willingly paid it, then it's just extra commission.

When I bought the car I asked the salesperson if they could throw in a service, it was already after the deal so I dont know why i even asked lol. He said the service dept and sales floor are separate entities. When sales throws in services, its out of their commission and into the service dept revenue. He said on parts though he could get me a discount, hopefully I never need any.

I had an Audi years ago and got an oil change. The parts guy gave me a list of $2k worth of repairs they recommend doing. These guys are trained to bring in as much revenue as humanly possible.

rbrylaw 11-09-2018 03:09 PM

It would likely be a safe bet that Service, Parts and Finance, generate much more revenue for a dealership than new car sales.

JTK44 11-09-2018 03:16 PM

+!

With people shopping cars and getting discounts, the money at the dealership is in both service and parts.

Think about this: The A service is oil change, filter and wiper blades and inspections. You wait two hours, have a cup of coffee and the car is returned to you with a wash - and we all think (myself included) that $199 is a bargain!

Oil change, filter and car wash for only $199!

With my 2018 Ford Edge Sport, at 7500 miles I take it to the local shop with a coupon and it is $19.95!

Only in America!

cetialpha5 11-09-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mobster600 (Post 7599188)
I had an Audi years ago and got an oil change. The parts guy gave me a list of $2k worth of repairs they recommend doing. These guys are trained to bring in as much revenue as humanly possible.

Just 2k? The last time I brought both in, one got quoted 4k of work and the other 6k. Some of it was questionable though, some rust on some power steering lines and they wanted to replace the lines. It's still holding up. The other stuff was brakes and tires which were way more than other places where I got it done.

ua549 11-09-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JTK44 (Post 7599202)
+!

With people shopping cars and getting discounts, the money at the dealership is in both service and parts.

Think about this: The A service is oil change, filter and wiper blades and inspections. You wait two hours, have a cup of coffee and the car is returned to you with a wash - and we all think (myself included) that $199 is a bargain!

Oil change, filter and car wash for only $199!

With my 2018 Ford Edge Sport, at 7500 miles I take it to the local shop with a coupon and it is $19.95!

Only in America!

Your $19.95 deal was a loss leader because 5 quarts of Mobile1 and a filter costs more than that at a Ford dealer.

Performance wiper blades such as Bosch ICON cost more than $50 at Walmart.

JTK44 11-09-2018 04:35 PM

1) Never said at my Ford dealer. I said "local shop" see above. Ford does not require synthetic oil.
2) Wiper blades: suggest you try Costco! As the blades are changed every year, normal blades are more than sufficient. Cost less than $20 - but I am sure you can always pay more!

ua549 11-09-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JTK44 (Post 7599274)
1) Never said at my Ford dealer. I said "local shop" see above. Ford does not require synthetic oil.
2) Wiper blades: suggest you try Costco! As the blades are changed every year, normal blades are more than sufficient. Cost less than $20 - but I am sure you can always pay more!

Sure, there is lots of cheap service at an unbranded shop. In Florida you are putting your life at risk using an unbranded repair shop unless you know the people running it. There are simply too many unqualified "mechanics" (aka school boys) working in those shops. As far as wipers only the best will do in our torrential tropical daily downpours.

JTK44 11-09-2018 05:08 PM

Where I live shops have been in business for over 30 years, and many are second generation. They are quite reputable.

The purpose of my post was a guide to what the costs of Service A actually are - not to engage in a dialog about whether you personally can trust your local repair shop..

Everyone spends their money as they see fit.

ua549 11-09-2018 05:19 PM

I totally agree with you. Just don't compare apples and oranges.

El Cid 11-12-2018 04:44 PM

My service A is usually about $200, but has been almost a year. B is about $400 and that may be what SA was quoting you. A does not include new wiper blades. I do ask about (1) loaner and (2) discounts when I call to make the appointment. Tire rotation is included regardless of mileage, as is the hand car wash.
As for local indys charging $19.95, let the buyer beware. Too many bad experiences for myself and people I know using the indys. Toyota and Nissan dealers used to do that as well, but then try to sell you couple of hundred dollars of recommended services. Now they just charge standard costs.

Dealerships make more money off service than anything else; second most off used cars and least off new car sales.

Always amuses me when people purchase an imported luxury car for a hefty price and then quibble over using cheap gas and getting cheap service. Not saying not to watch out for being ripped off, but it is a Mercedes-Benz.

mobster600 11-12-2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 7601586)
My service A is usually about $200, but has been almost a year. B is about $400 and that may be what SA was quoting you. A does not include new wiper blades. I do ask about (1) loaner and (2) discounts when I call to make the appointment. Tire rotation is included regardless of mileage, as is the hand car wash.
As for local indys charging $19.95, let the buyer beware. Too many bad experiences for myself and people I know using the indys. Toyota and Nissan dealers used to do that as well, but then try to sell you couple of hundred dollars of recommended services. Now they just charge standard costs.

Dealerships make more money off service than anything else; second most off used cars and least off new car sales.

Always amuses me when people purchase an imported luxury car for a hefty price and then quibble over using cheap gas and getting cheap service. Not saying not to watch out for being ripped off, but it is a Mercedes-Benz.

A person who I was hanging out with this weekend just bought a used 2015 Porsche Panamera....talk about a show stopper. We were checking it out and MAN that is an incredible car. Crazy thing is he paid around what I paid for my E300!. When you talk about quibbling about a service, he will have the right to complain. I didnt want to hurt the honeymoon phase he is feeling and bring up how much servicing could be, but I cant imagine what a 30k service is going to run.

I really want to buy a low mile 2001 Audi B5 S4 but I see guys with 15k worth of service history on these cars. I think servicing a car is what you sign up for....BUT there comes a point where you need to be smart about getting work done. If a dealer is over pricing you on a job, GO somewhere else. Be smart with your cash, you work hard for it.