MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Changing US spec Intelligent Headlights to Euro/UK spec (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/727141-changing-us-spec-intelligent-headlights-euro-uk-spec.html)

checkmarsahll 11-14-2018 04:07 PM

Changing US spec Intelligent Headlights to Euro/UK spec

Is there a software change or update to enable full intelligent LEDs in the new E-Class with the ILS? (P02)

rbrylaw 11-14-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by checkmarsahll (Post 7603735)
Is there a software change or update to enable full intelligent LEDs in the new E-Class with the ILS? (P02)

In the US? At this time there is not. Only recently has the NHTSA even recommended the use of the European system to use the full intelligent lights and it still has to go for public comment and full ratification before completely permitted. Then we have to see if we even have the very same lights in our cars they do in Europe AND if MBUSA will consider offering reprogramming of our lights if we do.

2012 merc amg 11-14-2018 09:34 PM

I think we are SOL on this one. It's a shame because we pay extra for the lights and then can't really utilize them, oh well, at least the lights are pretty good as they are.

rbrylaw 11-14-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7604040)
I think we are SOL on this one. It's a shame because we pay extra for the lights and then can't really utilize them, oh well, at least the lights are pretty good as they are.

I suspect you are right. MB doesn't seem to like to reprogram things after the sale. I would be more than willing to pay for a reprogram if it becomes reality that we can finally have the same lights they have in Europe.

rustybear3 11-15-2018 06:33 AM

I sincerely doubt they put a different light system in US vehicles, it's probably a software update of some kind. I'm sure once the NHTSA bs has run it's course, if not MB, someone will figured out the software necessary to get it up & running.

rbrylaw 11-15-2018 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7604211)
I sincerely doubt they put a different light system in US vehicles, it's probably a software update of some kind. I'm sure once the NHTSA bs has run it's course, if not MB, someone will figured out the software necessary to get it up & running.

I hope you're right on all counts. While I think the Intelligent Lights are already fantastic, better would be icing on the cake!

jl199986 01-12-2019 08:00 AM

Where’s the hackers? I would pay for this. Is it a setting in engineering mode possibly?

rbrylaw 01-12-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7652180)
Where’s the hackers? I would pay for this. Is it a setting in engineering mode possibly?

I would suspect hacking into your car's programming could void your warranty?

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7652180)

*waves*

I’ve done the conversion. It required new hardware, access to factory diagnostic tools, factory software, and lots of trial and error. There are dozens of steps required including flashing numerous control modules. I made a few mistakes and thankfully have SCN access to code my car back to stock automatically.

rbrylaw 01-12-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7652319)

*waves*

I’ve done the conversion. It required new hardware, access to factory diagnostic tools, factory software, and lots of trial and error. There are dozens of steps required including flashing numerous control modules. I made a few mistakes and thankfully have SCN access to code my car back to stock automatically.

Are you in the US? What hardware is required? That is disconcerting as I had hoped once fully approved for the US market, dealers would be able reprogram our intelligent lights to the new spec.

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7652333)
Are you in the US? What hardware is required? That is disconcerting as I had hoped once fully approved for the US market, dealers would be able reprogram our intelligent lights to the new spec.

Yes, I’m in the US. I hope once the regulatory environment changes you’ll be able to activate the functionality. Until then, no software exists for US-spec headlamps.

rbrylaw 01-12-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7652342)

Yes, I’m in the US. I hope once the regulatory environment changes you’ll be able to activate the functionality. Until then, no software exists for US-spec headlamps.

You said it required new hardware. What new hardware is needed?

jl199986 01-12-2019 12:32 PM

Thanks WD. Reading up on your E63 exploits. While I've got "above average" skill from modding VW's thru VCDS and even ECU software I've tweaked myself- I'll hold off on this for now. My first MB.

The $takes with MB are a bit higher to fix my mistakes. And I've not got ample time these days. So for now the combination of hoping for US relief and running my warranty out a good bit longer should give me pause to wait.

We'll see how long that lasts.

jl199986 01-12-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7652362)
You said it required new hardware. What new hardware is needed?

I think he means a new headlamp unit with a EU spec serial number that MB software recognizes. That's the challenge with intelligent (chipped) hardware- not necessarily interchangeable even if the actual hardware is the same- if the chip says it's different- it's different.

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7652374)
I think he means a new headlamp unit with a EU spec serial number that MB software recognizes. That's the challenge with intelligent (chipped) hardware- not necessarily interchangeable even if the actual hardware is the same- if the chip says it's different- it's different.

Exactly.

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7652371)
Thanks WD. Reading up on your E63 exploits. While I've got "above average" skill from modding VW's thru VCDS and even ECU software I've tweaked myself- I'll hold off on this for now. My first MB.

The $takes with MB are a bit higher to fix my mistakes. And I've not got ample time these days. So for now the combination of hoping for US relief and running my warranty out a good bit longer should give me pause to wait.

We'll see how long that lasts.

You can follow along on Instagram: jaronbrass

I’m known for my retrofits on BMW, VW, and Audi. This is my second Mercedes and the first I’ve tweaked.

Cao Black 01-12-2019 02:41 PM

This may be a moot point as it appears MB is already adopting a new design. See my post about "New Headlight Option". They're not likely to upgrade any old designs. Hackers notwithstanding.

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7652521)
This may be a moot point as it appears MB is already adopting a new design. See my post about "New Headlight Option". They're not likely to upgrade any old designs. Hackers notwithstanding.

The new design is C only and is the base model LED with no adaptive features.

rustybear3 01-12-2019 03:14 PM

The long and short of it sounds as if the majority of us are SOL. I too was hoping for just a software update. If this requires different headlamps, then there is no way MB is going to switch out us previous owners. :nix:

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7652557)
The long and short of it sounds as if the majority of us are SOL. I too was hoping for just a software update. If this requires different headlamps, then there is no way MB is going to switch out us previous owners. :nix:

It shouldn’t require new headlamps. Right now, it does, because there’s no software.

rustybear3 01-12-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7652656)

It shouldn’t require new headlamps. Right now, it does, because there’s no software.

So, if the proper software was available, no additional hardware would be necessary in order to convert....correct?

wdimagineer 01-12-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7652659)
So, if the proper software was available, no additional hardware would be necessary in order to convert....correct?

Correct. Let’s hope the option becomes available.

ua549 01-12-2019 06:49 PM

MB is not known for retrofitting software to older models. If there is an upgrade it will most likely be in the E Class refresh.

lkfoster 01-12-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7652708)
MB is not known for retrofitting software to older models. If there is an upgrade it will most likely be in the E Class refresh.

Perhaps not new software, but they do embed a lot of options in OEM modules that can be activated with the right tools. I had active fog lights and tire pressure monitoring (ABS-type) turned on in my old W203 AMG C55.

jhpmbusa 04-22-2019 09:27 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/22/...ve-headlights/

seems like we may get clearance in the future for European spec headlights...