E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Mercedes Me Connect - General User Questions and Tips Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I'm convinced these problems all stem from module issues within each vehicle. Think about it. An app is an app, it's the same software for everyone who downloads it. Others (including myself) have no problems; while others it's a daily problem. If it's an app problem, shouldn't we all experience similar results? These on and off problems really seem vehicle specific. Have any of you had the module replaced in the car?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by rustybear3
I'm convinced these problems all stem from module issues within each vehicle. Think about it. An app is an app, it's the same software for everyone who downloads it. Others (including myself) have no problems; while others it's a daily problem. If it's an app problem, shouldn't we all experience similar results? These on and off problems really seem vehicle specific. Have any of you had the module replaced in the car?
That's certainly a possible explanation. But if you recall, I could not get the app to connect with my for the entire first month of owning the car. Once that dude in the basement in some remote city in Germany fixed whatever the connection issue was, I have had pretty much uninterrupted, successful access since. It did not require replacing the Hermes module, though at some point that was discussed as an option.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
It could have been a configuration issue such as a hardware address unique to your vehicle that could only be fixed by the elf in the basement.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ua549
It could have been a configuration issue such as a hardware address unique to your vehicle that could only be fixed by the elf in the basement.
That is likely the case. When we got the E400, we were paying MBUSA for internet service, which we could not get in the car to work. It took weeks for MBUSA to figure out they put in the wrong IP address for the car, which once correctly input, turned on the service we were paying for, but weren't getting.

Got to love MB and their whacky systems!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
That's certainly a possible explanation. But if you recall, I could not get the app to connect with my for the entire first month of owning the car. Once that dude in the basement in some remote city in Germany fixed whatever the connection issue was, I have had pretty much uninterrupted, successful access since. It did not require replacing the Hermes module, though at some point that was discussed as an option.
That's my point Ron. They probably sent some signals to your unit trying to rectify the situation; but as you know, it's only a temporary band aid. How many times do they need to resend your address? I've yet to see anyone post (unless I missed it) that they had their module replaced. Wouldn't you think that by now, MB would try that as a fix?

Last edited by rustybear3; 01-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rustybear3
That's my point Ron. They probably sent some signals to your unit trying to rectify the situation; but as you know, it's only a temporary band aid. How many times do they need to resend your address? I've yet to see anyone post (unless I missed it) that they had their module replaced. Wouldn't you think that by now, MB would try that as a fix?
Yes absolutely one would think by now we would have seen situations where the Hermes module had to be replaced. But I also don't recall anyone saying theirs had to be replaced. This seems to be poor programming on the handshake between Mercedes and the cars themselves.

In 2012's case however, his E450 Wgaon initially, if I recall correctly connected right away and now isn't connecting. That's a bit more perplexing.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 01-29-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
I don't know what it is, but I am so sick and tired of seeing my app say "Connection not established. Please try again later." This is ridiculous.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Courthaven
I don't know what it is, but I am so sick and tired of seeing my app say "Connection not established. Please try again later." This is ridiculous.
The app is working fine tonight. You need to keep pushing Mercedes to resolve this for you.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I guess I've gotta keep pushing mercedes too. I thought I had it figured out today. The other day I delete the wagon from the account in spite of it say you cannot retrieve the vehicle again once you do this. Yep that is correct. I tried but got a message saying I needed to go to an authorized mercedes dealer and show my drivers license for authorization. So I did that this afternoon. The woman at the dealer entered everything into her computer and then I got email saying it was successfully authorized but everything was loading again like originally, the woman said it might take up to 24 hours. When I got home everything was loaded and the vehicle showed up on the app. Everything was as it was before, it is showing fuel levels, tire pressure and all that other stuff and is up to date and accurate. But the big test was when I got to the mail center where I live I tried to remote lock the car. Sure enough does not work just like before. Mercedes Me is still not getting back to me after asking for screen shots last week and I sent them. This nonsense is really getting old.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's odd that it works, but remote lock/unlock doesn't. It may have taken a full month for my to connect, but it definitely does lock/unlock from the app. Remote start is glitchy, but does on occasion work.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes very odd. In my case since it is connected it seems like it might be some module in the car that has gone bad or something especially where as it worked fine the first month. I wish MB had some way of diagnosing this or something and were more professional about getting this fixed. I'm going to tell them that next time I call. I payed for this equipment when I bought the car and it is defective and does not work right, I could technically probably even lemon law the car for this and get my money back.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
The app is working fine tonight. You need to keep pushing Mercedes to resolve this for you.
Well it's funny because it is working right now but not when I posted. He seems to be fine when I don't need it, but as soon as I want to start my car in 20 degrees it can't connect..
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Yes very odd. In my case since it is connected it seems like it might be some module in the car that has gone bad or something especially where as it worked fine the first month. I wish MB had some way of diagnosing this or something and were more professional about getting this fixed. I'm going to tell them that next time I call. I payed for this equipment when I bought the car and it is defective and does not work right, I could technically probably even lemon law the car for this and get my money back.
That's what I'm saying. The only thing you haven't had done is have the hardware (module) replaced. It seems the logical thing to do next. This diagnosing ong distance from Germany is counter intuitive at best.

I know that is what I'd insist on if I were having the problems you guys are having.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG
The motion is specific -- use a forward kicking motion -- kick your foot quickly forward and draw it back underneath the trunk area and it should readily open. Mine works every time if I do it the right way. I too thought that just motion of my foot under the trunk was sufficient -- but it will rarely work. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
anyone in EUROPE managed to get Mercedes me to work with alexa or google ?

on the website it states that this should work (under section "interface to 3rd party suplliers") but i am unable to add the "skill" to either one.

"interface to 3rd party suplliers" = loosely translated from french
it's under this icon:
Old 01-30-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 W213 E220d AMG Line
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
anyone in EUROPE managed to get Mercedes me to work with alexa or google ?

on the website it states that this should work (under section "interface to 3rd party suplliers") but i am unable to add the "skill" to either one.

"interface to 3rd party suplliers" = loosely translated from french
it's under this icon:
Yeah I couldn't figure that out either. I have Google home and have the Google App on my iPhone but can't figure out how you work this. Not that I'd actually use it to be honest, but I'm curious.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 W213 E220d AMG Line
If it's any consolation, as a long term BMW driver prior to my E Class, the BMW Connected Drive is awful. Dreadfully slow to connect to the car, the Mercedes Me app is significantly quicker. And half the time, the BMW functions didn't work. I could start the auxiliary heater to a set time, but literally half the time, it would not connect to the car.

And BMW were terrible at responding to any queries. One time I had a query about an online map update and they finally responded 6 weeks later!!!!!

None of these car makers are still up to speed with Tech imho. It's not their core strength.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM

S63 AMG
Yes I am having the same problem and have called the Mercedes concierge people and complained, as well as written a separate email and also on the Mercedes-Me Connect app website have formally registered a problem there as well. I am writing this on Jan 30, 2019 and it's been more than a week since I lodged a complaint and no response so far.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have 3 issues that I'm discussing by email with them.

- alexa & google connectivity
- predictive navigation
- sending addresses to the POI app in the car

according to the website each of these items should work (the 1st two you actually have to activate under services),
yet non of them are available.

they reply fairly quickly, but do not seem to have any understanding of the features or the problems i'm having.
It's like I'm the ONLY/FIRST person to tell them about these issues...

Mercedes me is a bit like facebook: you keep wanting to check in to see what new & exciting, but when you get there, you realise that it's a bit of a waste of time
Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 PM

S63 AMG
Mercedes Me Connect Input Destination Issues

I am the owner of a new 2019 S63-AMG S-class 4-matic sedan and when I first purchased my vehicle it would allow me (for about a week) to input a destination request for the navi function either directly through the app or using Google Maps or Apple Maps, -- having selected to forward the address to the "Mercedes Me Connect" app. For the last now several weeks this function no longer works. If I send the destination to my vehicle either nothing happens, or in the Mercedes Me connect app itself on the navi/input destination page -- I just get an error message "Something is wrong, try again". But the input destination still will not work even after trying successive times to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how do address this problem? I have contacted Mercedes via email and also through Mbrace but so far no response or help of any kind.

Last edited by danbradford; 01-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:26 PM

S63 AMG
I was able initially to get Alexa (Echo latest gen device) to work but it is cumbersome. I have to say "Alexa, launch my Mercedes" and then it hooks up to Mercedes Me Connect and asks what I want to do. Simple commands like "Start my car" are not always readily understood and sometimes I have to issue the same command multiple times to get it to work. It will then ask for my PIN that is associated with the 'start ignition' function inside my Mercedes Me Connect app -- and sometimes will work, but more often than not -- nothing happens. For the life of me I CANNOT get the destination input either using the app directly or using the "forward" icons inside e.g. Apple Maps or Google Maps to work -- I am not a tech novice but no combination of efforts to delete, re-install, or close/re-open phone etc. seem to help at all. The Mercedes Me Connect app will apparently sometimes seem to have send my requested address to my vehicle, but when I climb in and turn on the car -- NOTHING happens so at this point am giving up that it works until the app is further changed and modified to be more robust and stable. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by danbradford
I am the owner of a new 2019 S63-AMG S-class 4-matic sedan and when I first purchased my vehicle it would allow me (for about a week) to input a destination request for the navi function either directly through the app or using Google Maps of Apple Maps, having selected to forward the address to the "Mercedes Me Connect" app. For the last now several weeks this function no longer works. If I send the destination to my vehicle either nothing happens, or in the Mercedes Me connect app itself on the navi/input destination page -- I just get an error message "Something is wrong, try again". But the input destination still will not work even after trying successive times to use it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how do address this problem? I have contacted Mercedes via email and also through Mbrace but so far no response or help of any kind.
sending directly from app to car is a hit & miss
more often than not the address doesn't arrive and if the car is not connected (say underground parking) then the address is definitely lost.
as far as I can tell the address does not go via a server, but directly to the car.
(If you want to be sure that the address arrives you should do it with engine on whilst in the car... stupid, I know)

this is why the POI app was so great: you would send however many addresses from the website (app not possible) to the car's SERVER.
then in the car you'd call up the list in the POI app. - the addresses ALWAYS arrived, since they got stored on the server.
and it was great for planning a road trip / holiday. - really don't understand why they canceled such a great feature.
the POI ap is still there though.. doing nothing

Old 01-30-2019, 05:05 PM

S63 AMG
Thanks again. Initially -- it would work with car turned off and when I unlocked the vehicle and then started it up -- immediately after the "COMAND" warning about not being distracted while driving by command, I would get a box on my screen letting me know a destination address had been input and did I want to navigate to that address. This feature only worked for say a week and then switched off for some reason. I cannot get it to work at all now.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There's nothing consistent in what works for one owner vs what won't work for another. The enter a destination function in my Me Connect app is still working well for me and does come up when I get in the car on the Comand screen.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is there anyone else where the readings on the app work but the functions of door lock/unlock and remote start does not work?. Seems like the case on my Wagon is most unusual. It would be nice at the least to remote unlock the car. Mercedes is not being cooperative in getting back to me or giving me any information, maybe I should just return the car under the lemon law.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Me Connect - General User Questions and Tips Thread