E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(

Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(

I lightly tapped a side curb with the left passenger wheel and it scraped.

Most people wouldn't even notice, but I sure do. The good news is I have the wheel and tire insurance, so it won't cost me anything to have it fixed. I'm still waiting for the drivers door window to come in from Germany. When I get that scheduled, I'll have them get the wheel magician (these guys really can fix wheels so well, you can't ever tell) to take care of the little scrape.

Still mad at myself for getting close enough to a curb to scrape the wheel.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Let’s see a picture of the wheel, or is it so small you don’t want us to tell you to leave it alone

For the window are you currently driving without a window on your car??? LOL jk, why do you need a new window?

I knew someone with a brand new CLA250, I mean like less then a week old. In their neighborhood there are big rocks so people don’t drive on your driveway. Making a left, scraped the rear driver lower door panel and ran over the rock with just the rear wheel. Cost $1,100 out of pocket.

CLA is a low car, this rock really messed it up

Last edited by mobster600; 11-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mobster600
Let’s see a picture of the wheel, or is it so small you don’t want us to tell you to leave it alone

For the window are you currently driving without a window on your car??? LOL jk, why do you need a new window?

I knew someone with a brand new CLA250, I mean like less then a week old. In their neighborhood there are big rocks so people don’t drive on your driveway. Making a left, scraped the rear driver lower door panel and ran over the rock with just the rear wheel. Cost $1,100 out of pocket.

CLA is a low car, this rock really messed it up
LOL........Here's the picture. Like I said, most would simply not worry about it. But it will bother me and I paid for insurance, so they have to fix it for me.

Yes, I'm driving around without a drivers side window. JK. Actually, on delivery, there was a tiny chip in the glass. A brand new car should not come with any chips in the glass, so they ordered a replacement window, which of course has to come all the way from Germany. You'd think they'd stock windows in the US somewhere, but they just don't.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Rod, don't spare a tear. On many of my last cars, I have curb rashed them. It's the most painful sound, but parking in NYC, it's bound to happen.

Take solace that the wheel magicians are just that...magicians. I don't know what they do, what tools they use, or what spells they cast, but wow, the wheels always come back looking gold.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2018, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nycebo
Rod, don't spare a tear. On many of my last cars, I have curb rashed them. It's the most painful sound, but parking in NYC, it's bound to happen.

Take solace that the wheel magicians are just that...magicians. I don't know what they do, what tools they use, or what spells they cast, but wow, the wheels always come back looking gold.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'm sure once the wheel magician waves his wand, it will look good as new!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
A couple of weeks ago, 6 months into ownership of my E400, it got its 1st blemish. In the grocery store parking lot an errant shopping cart dented my rear fender (I like to think it was blown by a wind gust, and not pushed by some idiot). Its a small defect, but I know its there ...
I guess there will be more to come. Sorry to see your curb rash damage, imo the design of these wheels is really nice, and hides brake dust really well.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wagonsrock
A couple of weeks ago, 6 months into ownership of my E400, it got its 1st blemish. In the grocery store parking lot an errant shopping cart dented my rear fender (I like to think it was blown by a wind gust, and not pushed by some idiot). Its a small defect, but I know its there ...
I guess there will be more to come. Sorry to see your curb rash damage, imo the design of these wheels is really nice, and hides brake dust really well.
I'd like to think the wind did it to you too, but my money's on a customer who has zero consideration and was too lazy to walk the cart to the cart holding pen. Once we see a boo-boo, they just can't be unseen unfortunately.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG SUV
I feel your pain but that’s nothing compared to my tiny boo boo from last week

Mike
Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikephotos

Mike
Oh my..........I hope you have wheel and tire insurance? That's quite the boo boo and I'm sorry to see that.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Mike
Holy crap. How did that happen? I've been babying my wheels since I got the run flats, trying to avoid potholes etc, but that's a seriously wrecked tire.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Ah Mike, sorry to see that. Emblematic of the road conditions in NYC. It's why I went with 18" wheels when my heart screamed 19" or even 20". Do you have wheel insurance? Those look like the AMG 20s. Can't be inexpensive.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
That tire and wheel ins is a good thing. I was amazed at the price difference from Rhode Island VS Florida. In RI they were talking 2600 bucks when I bought my 2018 AMG in Florida its 1000 bucks I think it's 6 years too. Potholes make all the Difference and in Snow and ice areas there are lots of them especially in the winter. Practically none in Florida. I also bought the ding and dent insurance by Dent Wizard. It was 795 bucks but a good deal when I get dinged, again good for 6 years. They should be able to fix your wheel in about 15 min, the other wheel damage pic time a for a new wheel and tire.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
I hate curb rash. I try to be super careful but occasionally just letting someone run an errand results in my vehicle returning with some damage. I also got the tire and wheel package for two of my cars including the Merc but even if I didn't have protection I'd still have the work done.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé

Mike
that is brutal tyre/wheel damage

it's also one of my favourite MB AMG wheels - very sad to see
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I'm sorry this happened, it's a bummer for sure. I'm glad you have the wheel and tire insurance, it'll be good as new. The only positive, if there is one I guess, is that you know who/how the damage happened.

Originally Posted by rbrylaw

Most people wouldn't even notice, but I sure do. The good news is I have the wheel and tire insurance, so it won't cost me anything to have it fixed. I'm still waiting for the drivers door window to come in from Germany. When I get that scheduled, I'll have them get the wheel magician (these guys really can fix wheels so well, you can't ever tell) to take care of the little scrape.

The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
That is spectacularly awful. Hopefully all is well soon.

Mike
Old 11-22-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by teksurv
I'm sorry this happened, it's a bummer for sure. I'm glad you have the wheel and tire insurance, it'll be good as new. The only positive, if there is one I guess, is that you know who/how the damage happened.
Yep, I know who did it and how. Twas me and it barely came in contact with a curb. Translation: These 19" wheels, for all of us who have them better be UBER-SUPER-DUPER-ULTRA careful with these things!
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Yep, I know who did it and how. Twas me and it barely came in contact with a curb. Translation: These 19" wheels, for all of us who have them better be UBER-SUPER-DUPER-ULTRA careful with these things!
Yeah, when I saw the image you attached I was thinking that it must have been the lightest touch to create those marks. I gave my dealer a call to enquire about wheel protection (insurance) on my 450 coupe. Just waiting for him to get back to me with some info and a price.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Well fawk, it's not new anymore man!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stephos
Yeah, when I saw the image you attached I was thinking that it must have been the lightest touch to create those marks. I gave my dealer a call to enquire about wheel protection (insurance) on my 450 coupe. Just waiting for him to get back to me with some info and a price.
With these wheels and RFT tires, for me, Wheel and Tire insurance is important. My boss didn't get it on his S550. Over the last 3 years, he's replaced 3 tires and two wheels. The cost he's incurred has far exceeded the cost of the insurance. But as is the case with any insurance, you may never make a claim, so it's a gamble either way. I choose to be protected.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
Well fawk, it's not new anymore man!
Sniff, Sniff. Nope, it's not. But it will be fixed soon.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic

been away for a few days commiserations i know just how you feel! Mine goes in for its rear bumper repair tomorrow will post pre and after photos. At least the wheel does not need lots of trim to be removed try to think positive
i was staying in a hotel this week which had an underground car park built some years ago and it was really scary as the entrance was by a curving ramp with high kerbs either side. The car just fitted and the journey down 3 floors and back up was very slow my fear was just the type of damage you sustained on the just installed new wheels and winter tyres.
and like you i would really notice that damage.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by parkwood
been away for a few days commiserations i know just how you feel! Mine goes in for its rear bumper repair tomorrow will post pre and after photos. At least the wheel does not need lots of trim to be removed try to think positive
i was staying in a hotel this week which had an underground car park built some years ago and it was really scary as the entrance was by a curving ramp with high kerbs either side. The car just fitted and the journey down 3 floors and back up was very slow my fear was just the type of damage you sustained on the just installed new wheels and winter tyres.
and like you i would really notice that damage.
Glad to hear your car's going in tomorrow. It shouldn't take them long and when you get it back this will be a distant memory. I've had to navigate garages like you describe. They're tortuous and the makings of nightmares!

Me and curbs aren't good buddies. I never dinged a single wheel on my C300 in the full 3 years I owned the car. But my worst encounter with a curb was with a brand new Mercedes CLK500 Cabriolet. I had just signed the papers and taken delivery of the car. It was lunchtime when we left the dealership and we decided to go to Panera Bread. The one we went to had the worst curb system that to this day, I won't park there. Anyway, I wasn't familiar enough with the new car and I hit the curb. I didn't just roach a wheel, I bent it. So, 30 minutes after taking delivery, with my tail between my legs, we went back to the dealership and I had to buy a new wheel. It was an AMG wheel, meaning it was really $$. That was the last car I ever bought without wheel and tire insurance.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 11-25-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:41 AM

2021 GLE53 AMG SUV
Oh my..........I hope you have wheel and tire insurance? That's quite the boo boo and I'm sorry to see that.
Sadly, I skipped out on it this go around after having it on my last 5 MBs, go figure!

Originally Posted by wagonsrock
Holy crap. How did that happen? I've been babying my wheels since I got the run flats, trying to avoid potholes etc, but that's a seriously wrecked tire.
Improper road repair left a huge hole which was unavoidable without veering into a bus in the left lane. Was able to slow down to about 30 but as you can see, didn’t help much. Wheel and tire were replaced.

Originally Posted by nycebo
Ah Mike, sorry to see that. Emblematic of the road conditions in NYC. It's why I went with 18" wheels when my heart screamed 19" or even 20". Do you have wheel insurance? Those look like the AMG 20s. Can't be inexpensive.
Thanks me too (of course). Going from an E43 to a loaner GLA for a week was even worse lol. Yes, AMG 20’s, wise choice for NYC/Queens right?

Originally Posted by stephos
that is brutal tyre/wheel damage

it's also one of my favourite MB AMG wheels - very sad to see
One of my favs too, love them just hate the roads (holes)

Got the E43 back a few days ago, have to say I’m driving a bit slower these days doing my best to keep it in C and not S+

Mike
Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 AM

2021 GLE53 AMG SUV
With these wheels and RFT tires, for me, Wheel and Tire insurance is important. My boss didn't get it on his S550. Over the last 3 years, he's replaced 3 tires and two wheels. The cost he's incurred has far exceeded the cost of the insurance. But as is the case with any insurance, you may never make a claim, so it's a gamble either way. I choose to be protected.

Sniff, Sniff. Nope, it's not. But it will be fixed soon.
Agreed with you on the protection even though I didn’t listen this go, won’t make that mistake again but I guess when I factor in not having used the wheel/tire insurance for the last five I’m about break even or maybe ahead.

Hope you get it fixed and back to “new” real soon, I know it would kill me too.

Mike
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Mike, try contacting the city. My nephew did in Charlotte, NC and the city paid for his new tire and wheel.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First Teeny Tiny Boo Boo :-(