MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   MBUX vs COMAND NTG 5.5 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/728030-mbux-vs-comand-ntg-5-5-a.html)

Argelius 11-22-2018 01:04 PM

MBUX vs COMAND NTG 5.5

I'm getting pretty close to buying a 2019 E-Class but am intrigued by the upcoming A-Class (admittedly, very different-sized cars).

I'm a tech/gadget nut, so the "all new" MBUX infotainment system looks impressive.

On to my question: how does the current COMAND system (NTG 5.5, I believe) compare to MBUX in terms of menus, graphics and functionality?

My sense is that MBUX does a lot more with voice commands (natural language, etc), which I'm not that interested in since I don't like talking to my car. And I'm assuming that the very cool "virtual reality" overlays for Navigation are specific to the MBUX. Other than that, are there significant differences? Is the current COMAND system antiquated and falling behind the competition?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ua549 11-22-2018 01:30 PM

The COMAND system is antiquated, non-intuitive and lacking in features. The only saving grace is that the voice portion works quite well allowing one to bypass several menu levels to reach a given function. It may seem awkward to speak to your vehicle, but it is much better than trying to select and read menus while driving.

denjermen 11-22-2018 01:39 PM

I second ua549's sentiment. COMAND is very non-intuitive. I haven't played with MBUX so can't tell you if it's any better.:nix:

nycebo 11-22-2018 04:26 PM

A pretty good walk-through
. I really don't love touch screens in cars. I much prefer the tactile feel of buttons or the comand wheel. With a touch screen, it requires much more of a diversion from the road in order to navigate. Then again, this A class also has the comand-like touchpad in the middle console.

ua549 11-22-2018 06:01 PM

+1

I wouldn't use a touch screen. A touch screen is one of the reasons I didn't buy a BMW 540i. They are hard to reach especially the right side of the display requiring one to shift from a normal driving position. The exception being arms fully bent and wheel in the chest driving position.

JDPEClassUK 11-22-2018 06:39 PM

I have a slightly different opinion regarding the current COMAND system. I have just bought a new 2019 E Class having moved from a 2017 BMW X5 which was considered to have one of the best infotainment systems in iDrive. I was a bit worried until I got the new car and got used to its interface which I find very intuitive and very easy to use. I do ‘talk’ to the car and the Linguatronic is fantastic, but also so is the control wheel and touch pad.

I think the system is pretty much better in every way from the BMW and although some of the MBUX features sound interesting, I think the current system is very good.

Obviously it’s a personal preference thing! 🤔

rbrylaw 11-22-2018 07:01 PM

Personally, I have absolutely no issue with the current Comand system. Perhaps having driven MB cars for many years, I find Comand intuitive and very easy to navigate. I wouldn't turn down MBUX, but until my next car, Comand does everything I need and then some. Voice Command with Comand works the best it's ever worked in my 2019. The new steering wheel controls are fantastic and let me adjust about everything I could want without ever taking my hand off the steering wheel.

When I do someday get a MBUX enabled car, I won't give two hoots about having a touch screen. I don't want a touch screen at all in my car. And I think having a touch screen goes against the concept of keeping your hands on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road ahead.

stephos 11-23-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK (Post 7610675)
I have a slightly different opinion regarding the current COMAND system. I have just bought a new 2019 E Class having moved from a 2017 BMW X5 which was considered to have one of the best infotainment systems in iDrive. I was a bit worried until I got the new car and got used to its interface which I find very intuitive and very easy to use. I do ‘talk’ to the car and the Linguatronic is fantastic, but also so is the control wheel and touch pad.

I think the system is pretty much better in every way from the BMW and although some of the MBUX features sound interesting, I think the current system is very good.

Obviously it’s a personal preference thing! 🤔

Totally agree with you. Despite not having received my car yet (not long to go now), I've had numerous opportunities to play around with the COMAND system and I think it's fantastic - much better than what I have in my BMW.

I too have read/seen many reviews where the BMW infotainment system is described as "the best in the business" but I disagree wholeheartedly. It's often let me down and been the cause of considerable frustration for me.

What appeals to me most from what I've seen of MBUX is the use of augmented reality for navigation. This is a game-changer! Provided that it does work as advertised in the real world, I know that this would make my life a lot easier when driving unfamiliar, complicated routes. If it had been currently available on the E-class, I would have happily paid for the option.

Cambridgehank 11-23-2018 12:36 PM

Do we have any idea when the MBUX will be in the E Class vehicles?

JDPEClassUK 11-23-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cambridgehank (Post 7611063)
Do we have any idea when the MBUX will be in the E Class vehicles?

I asked the dealer today in UK. It will be in 2021 MY new model E Class. Not in W213.

Argelius 11-23-2018 01:10 PM

Thanks, all for your helpful thoughts on this.

I'm going for my first test-drive today of an E-Class coupe...

mickhoog 11-25-2018 04:30 AM

thanks for sharing the video. It's great. I wont be using the touch screen as its too far to reach. I prefer a knob or a trackpad.

Imanone 03-30-2020 02:03 PM

NTG 5'5

Just got 2020 E350. How can I tell if it has NTG 5.5. I see folks talking about data cards, but have no idea what that means. I have the window sticker, but nothing that tells me what feature code is in the vehicle.
Thanks