E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Imagine waking up to this (a bit off topic)

Old 11-27-2018, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I don't think the car is not totalled, but it's at a garage now awaiting the insurance expertise..
it seems they knew exactly what they were going for, because they actually SAW my brothers wallet & cards, but left them.

my brother tried to file a report at the police station, but they didn't have time, so he needs to come back "later".
he asked if they didn't need to see the car, but they said no...
so no investigation will be done, it's just business as usual...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 AM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Get over yourself Teddybear, okay? Just relax and breathe. You are the voice of the united!!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
How long have you had those wheels for sale?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 GL450, 2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Prev 1995 C220, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo)
I do not understand security in France. Maybe because here we are all armed and paranoid. But do you people not have security cameras or motion lights? Perhaps this was in an urban area and neither of those apply.

I remember during the Charlie Hebdo shootings being shocked those guys got away for a while, and remembered thinking "are there zero helicopters in France?" No way in hell that could happen here. See, a police state is good A society that requires one is what's bad
Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
For much of france crime of this sort is rare mainly because france is rural or small towns. People know one another more. But the bigger cities such as paris, lille, lyon, nantes have the usual big city problems that afflict everywhere on the planet.
unlike the UK CCTV is not heavily used and where it exists it is in the city centres.
home security such a motion operated lights is readily available and people who feel they need it do use it. Most french homes have window shutters an fitted which are used at night and when the house is left unattended indeed many insurance policies specify their use for long term abscence.
New Years eve is a problem for car owners even in some of the small towns as there is a tradition amongst young men of torching cars....not nice.
compared to the uk for me france feels much safer in my general life but i would take more care against theft in the large cities.
i as a european do find american gun laws difficult to comprehend given the dreadful regular loss of life but it is not my country. I am happy with the control of guns we have here and as i lived with in the uk.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:35 PM

2013 GL450, 2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Prev 1995 C220, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo)
Man if someone torched someone's car in the states it would be a death sentence. (Not by the government, but believe me it would happen.)
Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by parkwood
For much of france crime of this sort is rare mainly because france is rural or small towns. People know one another more. But the bigger cities such as paris, lille, lyon, nantes have the usual big city problems that afflict everywhere on the planet.
unlike the UK CCTV is not heavily used and where it exists it is in the city centres.
home security such a motion operated lights is readily available and people who feel they need it do use it. Most french homes have window shutters an fitted which are used at night and when the house is left unattended indeed many insurance policies specify their use for long term abscence.
New Years eve is a problem for car owners even in some of the small towns as there is a tradition amongst young men of torching cars....not nice.
compared to the uk for me france feels much safer in my general life but i would take more care against theft in the large cities.
i as a european do find american gun laws difficult to comprehend given the dreadful regular loss of life but it is not my country. I am happy with the control of guns we have here and as i lived with in the uk.
As an American, I have beyond a difficult time comprehending the gun laws here or how easy it is for someone to get guns capable of killing many in a single round and no one seems to have the guts to stand up and do anything about it. I could get political about this, but I won't.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
I don't think the car is not totalled, but it's at a garage now awaiting the insurance expertise..
it seems they knew exactly what they were going for, because they actually SAW my brothers wallet & cards, but left them.

my brother tried to file a report at the police station, but they didn't have time, so he needs to come back "later".
he asked if they didn't need to see the car, but they said no...
so no investigation will be done, it's just business as usual...
Dissapointing reaction from the police is it national police municipal or gendarme?
Hopefully the insurers will be satisfied.
suspect the police are a bit busy at the moment with the gilet jaunes
it is possible that if it is an organised gang checks on parts or cars seized or found during other enquiries will show up a connection to your brothers incident. I got involved in a search of my companies claims data after uk trading standards called in the police to a parts dealer. We traced a myriad of parts back to stolen cars and also their use in cut and shut rebuilds.
hope your brother is ok.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Europe is a continent of civilized countries. The United States is not a civilized country and never has been, and as such you need weapons to defend yourself from the maniacs running around here. You don't have maniacs because guns are legal. Its because of a cultural void filled with violence-glorification since the borders began expanding. it's that simple mon ami.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by parkwood
Dissapointing reaction from the police is it national police municipal or gendarme?
Hopefully the insurers will be satisfied.
suspect the police are a bit busy at the moment with the gilet jaunes
it is possible that if it is an organised gang checks on parts or cars seized or found during other enquiries will show up a connection to your brothers incident. I got involved in a search of my companies claims data after uk trading standards called in the police to a parts dealer. We traced a myriad of parts back to stolen cars and also their use in cut and shut rebuilds.
hope your brother is ok.
I'd bet anything it's an organized crew.

I knew this girl from Albania and she told me in Germany there was a saying: "Take a vacation to Albania, your car is already there."
Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by StigHelmer
I'd bet anything it's an organized crew.

I knew this girl from Albania and she told me in Germany there was a saying: "Take a vacation to Albania, your car is already there."
Haha! Albania huh? Geographically I guess it's possible......although a hell of a trek

BTW, love that purple picture business at the bottom of your sig

OP, I'd love for you to follow up with your brother and let us know any details, sorry if I offended with my original post.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
As an American, I have beyond a difficult time comprehending the gun laws here or how easy it is for someone to get guns capable of killing many in a single round and no one seems to have the guts to stand up and do anything about it. I could get political about this, but I won't.
I've asked many of my friends what they would do to end or curb senseless mass killings if they were empowered to do anything they wanted.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by West_Coaster
I've asked many of my friends what they would do to end or curb senseless mass killings if they were empowered to do anything they wanted.
OK......so I'll open myself up to be shot and buried.

1. I'd make it illegal for the NRA to contribute to any political campaign or send gifts or money to any Congressman or Senator
2. I'd enact legislation that makes it fair but difficult to buy a gun of any kind with much more thorough and difficult to pass background checks
3. The AR15 style weapons would be made illegal to purchase or own
4. All guns would have electronic locks on them, that could only be unlocked by the rightful owner (perhaps finger print ID?)
5. When a person purchases a gun, they should be required to take classes in how to responsibly own and operate a gun and they should be required to be certified by a shooting rage instructor

I do not support outlawing guns. While I will never shoot a gun, I support the rights of others to bear arms - Responsibly and Sensibly

What we have is a government unwilling to do ANYTHING.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 PM

Does this mean you're asking me?
Does this mean we're friends???
Yes! Finally I have one!

Bro seriously - start by letting TV show **** but censoring stabbings, head shots and people getting mowed down. In Finland, they censor all kinds of violence we would consider PG-13 because we are so desensitized. I forgot which of the multiple shootings this year it was, but there was a sheriff who said something like "this isn't political or about too many guns or too few laws, its about a culture of violence that kids are born into."

Games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto especially - what the hell do you expect, piano players and symphony conductors? That's the real answer but its too hard and plus culture takes actual work and suspension of race-identity-politics - two things this country has massive difficulty with.

Plus,don't think things are this way because this isn't exactly how people want it. If there wasn't desensitized gun-solutions for every problem to the masses, how could you brainwash kids into invading other people's countries to get their oil. Oh I mean, to "free them." Like are there people who actually don't understand why these wars happen? Profit son. It's always profit and death is big business in American politics.

End of thread hijacking promise.

(thanks hyperion, its a synthwave reference, little love of mine I associate with cars - yours is nice too, Moonsorrow is great, I've been really into black metal most of my life)
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM

'17 E300
So it seems you are thinking guns are the reason for the mass killings, or at least an enabler? Don't you think the people who are mentally challenged enough to perform a crime like this could find other ways to enact it, like it's done in other countries with knives, acid and vehicles? My issue with confining guns is that we are way too late. There are millions of guns out there, easily accessible buy those who want one "under the radar". We aren't going to get criminals to surrender guns. My thoughts are that people that can perform these crimes will figure out how to steal or illegally buy weapons and outlawing AR-15's and such won't affect the criminals. Is it the theory that every one less gun lowers the probability of a gun related crime?

I'm not supporting guns, I honestly want to know what people are thinking and how they would solve the problems.

And yes Stig, we're internet buddies now!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 PM

'17 E300
OK......so I'll open myself up to be shot and buried.

1. I'd make it illegal for the NRA to contribute to any political campaign or send gifts or money to any Congressman or Senator
So you would have to make it illegal for ANY company to contribute then. Need to be fair if you wanted this to actually have a chance of passing.
2. I'd enact legislation that makes it fair but difficult to buy a gun of any kind with much more thorough and difficult to pass background checks
I like this.
3. The AR15 style weapons would be made illegal to purchase or own
Eh, not sure what that would do, but I could support it if it was proved to be effective.
4. All guns would have electronic locks on them, that could only be unlocked by the rightful owner (perhaps finger print ID?)
I like this.
5. When a person purchases a gun, they should be required to take classes in how to responsibly own and operate a gun and they should be required to be certified by a shooting rage instructor
Think you meant shooting RANGE instructor lol. I like this.

I do not support outlawing guns. While I will never shoot a gun, I support the rights of others to bear arms - Responsibly and Sensibly
I like this.

What we have is a government unwilling to do ANYTHING.
Agreed, because our government does nothing but argue and fight. Imagine if they had to support the wishes of the people....what a concept.
Comments above.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So it seems you are thinking guns are the reason for the mass killings, or at least an enabler? Don't you think the people who are mentally challenged enough to perform a crime like this could find other ways to enact it, like it's done in other countries with knives, acid and vehicles? My issue with confining guns is that we are way too late. There are millions of guns out there, easily accessible buy those who want one "under the radar". We aren't going to get criminals to surrender guns. My thoughts are that people that can perform these crimes will figure out how to steal or illegally buy weapons and outlawing AR-15's and such won't affect the criminals. Is it the theory that every one less gun lowers the probability of a gun related crime?

I'm not supporting guns, I honestly want to know what people are thinking and how they would solve the problems.

And yes Stig, we're internet buddies now!
I'm not sure who you're speaking to, so I'll just add that yes, guns in the right hands of the wrong person kill people. I don't know the answer. I do know we have a government unwilling to remove themselves from being bought and paid for by the NRA, nor make ANY changes to gun laws. They are simply unwilling to enact any laws to even try to curb the easy acquisition of weapons. I hold the government and the NRA most responsible for this. Anyone can buy bullets. And they can buy mass quantities of bullets. Bullets ultimately are what kills people. Make it harder to buy bullets. Don't sell them online. Make it mandatory to buy your bullets in a store. Make the stores not sell bullets to anyone who has a gun that can be used by someone else. There are things that can be done. No one is willing to do ANYTHING. And why should they change anything. The vast majority of our elected officials owe their office to the NRA, who was perhaps their biggest campaign funder.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Comments above.
So you would have to make it illegal for ANY company to contribute then. Need to be fair if you wanted this to actually have a chance of passing.

I think way too much money is spent on putting people into elected office, so I would be fine with no company being able to contribute to the campaign of any candidate. Companies or Non-Profits as in the case of the NRA, do not have anyone's interests but their own in mind when they try to buy favor from elected officials.

As long as I'm wound up, I'd also end the two party system in the US. We'd never have to hear the words Partisan or Bi-Partisan again. Let's elect people we think will take care of our needs without any affiliation from a party, which is only in it to make money and control things from their party perspective.

Next up, get rid of the Electoral College. It's antiquated and no longer serves a useful purpose. Trump actually supported abolishing the Electoral College. I'd hazard a guess since it put him in the WH, he'd now claim he never supported it.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure who you're speaking to, so I'll just add that yes, guns in the right hands of the wrong person kill people. I don't know the answer. I do know we have a government unwilling to remove themselves from being bought and paid for by the NRA, nor make ANY changes to gun laws. They are simply unwilling to enact any laws to even try to curb the easy acquisition of weapons. I hold the government and the NRA most responsible for this. Anyone can buy bullets. And they can buy mass quantities of bullets. Bullets ultimately are what kills people. Make it harder to buy bullets. Don't sell them online. Make it mandatory to buy your bullets in a store. Make the stores not sell bullets to anyone who has a gun that can be used by someone else. There are things that can be done. No one is willing to do ANYTHING. And why should they change anything. The vast majority of our elected officials owe their office to the NRA, who was perhaps their biggest campaign funder.
Bro you do realize that the vast, vast majority of gun violence crimes are committed by illegally obtained weapons right?

Just because 1 dude in chicago kills 1 dude with an illegal gun (then multiply that by like 3 times a day, literally the homicide rate there now) - does not make that any less of a problem than some ex-soldier or disgruntled gambler (usually ILLEGALLY) modding an AR and killing 8 people in an office.

3/4 of the time these people are breaking the law to begin with. Your answer is make more laws? Criminals don't care about how many laws you make! It just makes it harder for people like us to watch our back and defend our families when some dude opens up at a mall. "Sorry I could have taken him down when he shot the first lady, but it was ILLEGAL for me to CCW, so as a law abiding citizen I watched people die at the hands of mr. non-law-abiding criminal citizen who was going to blow people away anyway!

Plus back to OP - people think twice about spending an hour parting your car if they think there is a good chance they might get shot at. Just a thought. Deterrence son.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StigHelmer
Bro you do realize that the vast, vast majority of gun violence crimes are committed by illegally obtained weapons right?

Just because 1 dude in chicago kills 1 dude with an illegal gun (then multiply that by like 3 times a day, literally the homicide rate there now) - does not make that any less of a problem than some ex-soldier or disgruntled gambler (usually ILLEGALLY) modding an AR and killing 8 people in an office.

3/4 of the time these people are breaking the law to begin with. Your answer is make more laws? Criminals don't care about how many laws you make! It just makes it harder for people like us to watch our back and defend our families when some dude opens up at a mall. "Sorry I could have taken him down when he shot the first lady, but it was ILLEGAL for me to CCW, so as a law abiding citizen I watched people day due to mr. non-law-abiding citizen whow as going to blow people away anyway!

Plus back to OP - people think twice about spending an hour parting your car if they think there is a good chance they might get shot at. Just a thought. Deterrence son.
It is time to return this thread to what we come to this forum for. We have literally hijacked a thread about a car being vandalized into a gun discussion. And yes, I'm guilty of getting into this, but I'm out as we all should be out.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 PM

Mercedes is an international topic and this is an international forum - its interesting to share perspectives on lifestyles not just brake fluid replacement techniques. Dude said it was a bit off topic and a discussion on crime and deterrence of crime is totally on topic. Not really esoteric enough to belong in off-topic as all vehicle owners experience or want to avoid experiencing this kind of thing.

BUT FINE I'll stop - here:
"Thoughts and prayers to the E class that got part jacked."
Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Probably the imm....I mean people visiting the country.
Indeed.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I support the OP and their brother for a successful resolution to a horrible situation. This other stuff need not apply.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I think these things can & do happen everywhere around the world, although not on ac regular basis,
otherwise we'd see stripped cars everywhere.

I know of one friend who had it happen to his Renauld clio (for the americans: google it and have a laugh :-),
they stripped that car to the bone; seats & everything.

But I certainly did not want my post to start a thread on gun laws LOL

I was gonna post pictures of when they stole my wheels off my class C in 2008, but will refrain now. don't want the forum to blow up :-)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Imagine waking up to this (a bit off topic)