MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Up/Down Adjustment Not Working (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/729008-steering-wheel-up-down-adjustment-not-working.html)

makris0000 12-02-2018 05:44 PM

Steering Wheel Up/Down Adjustment Not Working

A few weeks ago my steering wheel stopped going up and down when trying to adjust it. I can still move it in and out, but it stopped going up and down. Has this happened to anyone else yet?

I plan on taking it to Mercedes when it comes time to do Service B in a few weeks, but I'm just curious if this happened to anyone, what they dealer said was the cause, and if they had a problem when bringing it to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty.

Thanks.

superangrypenguin 12-03-2018 07:53 AM

This is a well known issue that plagues several MB cars.

As it's covered by warranty, just get it replaced. If you want to try, use the knob to force it to the highest position (yes, I realize there will not be any apparent movement due to the issue you presented), then take your arm and bang down really hard on the steering wheel. Chances are it'll get it working again...

vic viper 12-03-2018 09:04 AM

You might get it working, but if not replaced it will fail again.

makris0000 12-03-2018 09:38 PM

I tried multiple times to get it working but part of me feels like I will break it if I go too hard. When I schedule my next service I’m going to have them replace the up/down motor.

Thanks all.

vic viper 12-04-2018 02:49 AM

Replacing the motor will require removal of the entire column, there is a repair kit available for this, make sure they order it before your appointment.

churchill1 12-04-2018 01:27 PM

This happened to me, but was intermittent. The first two times I took it to the dealer, they told me it just needed to be lubricated and sent me on my way. I finally took a video of the failure and asked that they replace the appropriate parts. That seems to have solved it.

cetialpha5 12-04-2018 09:48 PM

Not sure if you have the easy entry/exit feature on, but in the older models, this use to break all the time. Seems that people would put their weight on the steering wheel while it was moving and it would tend to break some piece in the steering column. It could also be something else, but you might want to be careful in the future in case it breaks again out of warranty.

vic viper 12-06-2018 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7621190)
Not sure if you have the easy entry/exit feature on, but in the older models, this use to break all the time. Seems that people would put their weight on the steering wheel while it was moving and it would tend to break some piece in the steering column. It could also be something else, but you might want to be careful in the future in case it breaks again out of warranty.

This is caused by a production error, it will not fail because of normal use or putting external load on the column.
Once replaced it will work.

MBTX27 01-02-2019 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7622313)
This is caused by a production error, it will not fail because of normal use or putting external load on the column.
Once replaced it will work.

I had the same exact problem on my ‘17 E300. Took it in twice and they said that all it needed was a software reset. Well it happened again and on the third visit they replaced the motor within the steering column. It’s been working much better since!

25th Car 02-08-2019 07:58 PM

My W204 goes in to the dealer tomorrow for the same thing (under warranty). Will see what they do with this. I will most likely be disabling the exit up/down feature once I get it back to save the motor.

25th Car 02-12-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 25th Car (Post 7676667)
My W204 goes in to the dealer tomorrow for the same thing (under warranty). Will see what they do with this. I will most likely be disabling the exit up/down feature once I get it back to save the motor.

Took the car in this past weekend. I explained to the service writer my issue and he told me to have a seat. As I am watching, the service writer played with the telescoping feature and came back to tell me the car was fixed. He said all you need to do is operate the working feature to loosen the motor. I then told him this appears to be a common problem. He told me it wasn't. I then asked what happens if and when it happens again. He told me to just work the other features like he did. We shall see what happens next time I bring it in.

makris0000 02-12-2019 08:43 PM

I brought mine in this past weekend for Service B and do do warranty work and among other things, the steering wheel. They told me it needed a software update. Who knows how long it will last for but at least it’s covered under warranty.

vic viper 02-13-2019 01:09 AM

No software update nor cycling the other servos will solve this, have it fixed before your warranty runs out.

Mbracer26 02-13-2019 05:51 PM

mine has been stuck in the up position for the past month. Haven't had time to take it in. will be the 16th time going in for service.

Rogerkat 06-01-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mbracer26 (Post 7680929)
mine has been stuck in the up position for the past month. Haven't had time to take it in. will be the 16th time going in for service.

If your warranty has expired try the run in/run out and then pull down sharply (a firm jerk) on the top of the wheel. This worked twice for me. I had to do it twice because the Easy Exit feature runs the wheel all of the way to the top where the wheel becomes stuck. I have disabled the feature and now just raise the wheel manually with the handle when I want a little more room to exit. But not all of the way up.

baadmon 06-17-2019 07:39 PM

Mine hasn't stopped working, although it makes a strange sound the entire time it moves upward or downward automatically. I'll record it and take it in for service.

makris0000 06-17-2019 07:48 PM

Mine is a lease so once the lease is up it’s going back. Luckily I have full warranty for the duration of the lease. Mine has only done it once since getting the last service and the update a few months ago. What I did to fix it was I pressed the thing to make the steering wheel go down while pulling down on the steering wheel and it came down again. Hopefully it’ll be good for another year and a half.

TPAbnz 06-18-2019 02:51 PM

Took mine in to the dealer for this and was told the repair required a part to be lubricated. It worked....for one week and is stuck again.

MWmp5 10-30-2019 05:57 AM

My guy who knocked it back into action said that too. I now have some screen shots of other posts talking about repairing this problem. I'll show him the work order

kingscorpian27 10-30-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by makris0000 (Post 7619161)
A few weeks ago my steering wheel stopped going up and down when trying to adjust it. I can still move it in and out, but it stopped going up and down. Has this happened to anyone else yet?

I plan on taking it to Mercedes when it comes time to do Service B in a few weeks, but I'm just curious if this happened to anyone, what they dealer said was the cause, and if they had a problem when bringing it to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty.

Thanks.

Mine is currently doing that intermittently at the moment but I will live with it for now. Just had the shimmering repaired las week so don’t really feel like going back right now

Justin Burrage 01-21-2020 02:17 PM

It worked!

I pushed down hard on wheel while simultaneously pushing down on the tilt lever. Worked like a charm. Whatever that means:)
QUOTE=superangrypenguin;7619495]This is a well known issue that plagues several MB cars.

As it's covered by warranty, just get it replaced. If you want to try, use the knob to force it to the highest position (yes, I realize there will not be any apparent movement due to the issue you presented), then take your arm and bang down really hard on the steering wheel. Chances are it'll get it working again...[/QUOTE]

silvergl 03-06-2020 09:39 AM

Permanent Fix

Does anyone know the part number or if it could be a DIY to fix the steering column?

I could not find a video.

Appreciate the help.

Tom T 03-06-2020 09:55 AM

Why not just take it in. I got mine fixed under the warranty

silvergl 03-06-2020 09:59 AM

Out of warranty and the dealer by me is horrible. Even MB USA acknowledges it, it is privately owned and they cannot do anything about it. This dealer is literally the worst thing about owning a MB. I seriously doubt I will buy another one bc of them. Great car otherwise. The same group also owns the BMW dealership, so I am not sure what I will do next.

ua549 03-06-2020 10:41 AM

Go to another MB dealer. There are 14 in NJ.