E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Reliability

Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Reliability

First off, I know a lot of people do not like Consumer Reports. If that is the case, ignore this thread.
Noticed that the newest issue of CR's car buying magazine shows the "E" Class has dropped significantly in reliability compared to a few years ago. The ratings are based on surveys completed by thousands of actual owners and cover the last three model years. Not sure, but I think E Class was down around 7th for mid-size luxury cars. FYI: Lincoln Continental was first and Genesis G80 was second.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 546 Likes on 412 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I do subscribe to CR and value their opinion. Keep in mind I lease for three years, so my car(s) are always under warranty.

My personal experience with my 2016 E 350 4matic are two issues:

1) The headrest on the driver's seat stopped working.
2) The seat on the driver side started to separate at the seems. I have MB Tex. In other threads this seemed to be a problem for others as well.

Both were covered by warranty. Present mileage is 28,000.

During this same period I owned a 2015 Ford Edge Sport. I had no issues with this car. At lease end I replaced the 2015 Ford Edge Sport with the 2018 Ford Edge Sport.

The Ford Edge replaced a Toyota RAV4 - I actually had two RAV 4's. During ownership of the RAV 4's I had no issues.

I am getting a new 2019 E450 4matic on December 27 which will replace my 2016 E 350 4matic.

So when I fill out the CR reliability form I will give both the RAV 4 and the Ford Edge perfect scores and note two problem areas with the Mercedes.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
El Cid (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I don't care one way or the other about CR and I'm curious if the issues reported affecting reliability were mechanical or "cosmetic" (rattles, squeaks, etc.)?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by teksurv
I don't care one way or the other about CR and I'm curious if the issues reported affecting reliability were mechanical or "cosmetic" (rattles, squeaks, etc.)?
CR reports on both, but for reliability it is pretty much going to be mechanical and electronic. I do not believe they consider "cosmetic" as a reliability issue.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
IMO electronics bugs/failures is giving all the manufacturers a headache. My sister's 2018 Ford Edge has electronic problems similar the what is post on this forum. Thar said, I don't consider entertainment system issues a function of vehicle reliability unless they keep one from driving it.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
I have been a subscriber to CU for many years. I like CU, and find their reports to be "interesting". I do check their ratings on all sorts of things, usually before purchasing. One of the caveats with CU is you have to put things in perspective when it comes to car reports to them from owners. For example, a Jeep owner probably will be taking his/her vehicle off road. A sports car owner might be driving more aggressively than a Camry owner, etc. An owner who lives in a humid climate and near the water might find more electrical gremlins due to humidity and oxidation. (although today's cars have gotten better about all sorts of issues, in my opinion) Many owners don't follow service schedules.....there are many factors for problems. And a big issue......people are more likely to fill out surveys if they have encountered problem issues. How many people will take the time to do a survey if all is good? For years I used to "chuckle" when they would "bad mouth" Saab cars for a key on the console! (They used to report Saab cars with many problems.....they called them "quirks"). At one time we had 6 Saab cars in our family, all reliable and fun. I am surprised they haven't called the E class "quirky" because of the gear selector on the column! I think that going to a car owners forum, such as this one, can provide better insight into a car, and the ownership experience. ......just my 2 cents!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Reliability to me is does the car start and drive safe to where I need to go. Can I drive it tons of miles without it being broke down on the side of the road. I am not going to huff and puff if the heated seat stopped working and it needed to be fixed and call the car "Unreliable"
Old 12-03-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 CLS450 4Matic Diamond White on Black leather
Consumer Reports' reliability ratings have almost become obsolete, in spite of their dogged attempts to maintain their relevance. Cars today have become so reliable that "problems" have truly become "first world problems". So yes, a busted gadget or a loose leather stitch can make a car "unreliable" in CU's eyes, and drop it's ranking considerably. Kinda stupid, if you ask me. On the other hand, their video reviews are pretty well done. But the print edition? Fish wrap.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
To me all these car related magazines and review sites are just paid marketing.

Motor Trend just put the Genesis G70 as car of the year. ummmm......sure.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by West_Coaster
To me all these car related magazines and review sites are just paid marketing.

Motor Trend just put the Genesis G70 as car of the year. ummmm......sure.
One of the ugliest, mish mashed front ends I've ever seen on an automobile. The interior a poor mans german car. It's a shame, Motor Trend and others are nothing but rags now filled with ads. Not what they were when they first started out.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by West_Coaster
To me all these car related magazines and review sites are just paid marketing
Not Consumer Reports. Supported only by subscribers.

And their car reviews may be nitpicky these days but they are relevant nonetheless. I'm very eager to see a luxury carmaker's attention to detail, all the whole recognizing that their owners are much more demanding.
El Cid (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dropped CU years ago when it became clear that they skewed their ratings toward economical leaving out performance considerations. They would rate an E300 higher than an E450.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
The thread started with the following:
"First off, I know a lot of people do not like Consumer Reports. If that is the case, ignore this thread."

Please respect this request.
El Cid (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by JTK44
The thread started with the following:
"First off, I know a lot of people do not like Consumer Reports. If that is the case, ignore this thread."

Please respect this request.
You're not the OP, so why do you think you need to police this thread on behalf of the OP?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Because this is not a thread to bash CR!

Look at the recent posts: they are all bashing CR!

IMO, It is proper etiquette to respect the thread starter initial request and not go off topic.

If you want to bash CR then start a new thread.
El Cid (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JTK44
Because this is not a thread to bash CR!

Look at the recent posts: they are all bashing CR!

IMO, It is proper etiquette to respect the thread starter initial request and not go off topic.

If you want to bash CR then start a new thread.
I didn't bash CR at all. Show me where I did? I think in this and other instances you have decided to police threads and I'm politely suggesting you should leave that up to the OP. If you started the thread, then by all means feel free to ask people to honor "your" request. Otherwise, you don't need to tell others what they can or can't say.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ua549
I dropped CU years ago when it became clear that they skewed their ratings toward economical leaving out performance considerations. They would rate an E300 higher than an E450.
But that is EXACTLY the point. For the money, the E300 is a VASTLY better car than the E450...and this is coming from an E450 owner. Seriously, how often are you using POWER on the highway during a commute? Using your logic, we should all be driving the E63. No, the beauty of CR is that they give you a good measure and from there, the user can decide what features they value more...like HP (which in my case was a whopping yes....then again, I still wonder if I am missing out not having bought the AMG....ugh). And the ultimate beauty of CR is that you KNOW you are not reading a glorified paid commercial/advertisement for the car. Not saying that I dismiss what other mags say, but it definitely factors in when they compare one mark against another. Just who is their largest ad buyer?

Anyway, back on topic, one does need to be leery of customer surveys for luxury and high end cars because the owners a lot more demanding. For the money, they do not suffer mistakes well. And that's why a lot of high end cars sometimes rate lower than say a Honda...which candidly is a hell of a car for the money.
El Cid (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't miss power on the highway. The power is missed in town trying to enter a congested 45 mph flow of traffic from a standstill.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IMO electronics bugs/failures is giving all the manufacturers a headache. My sister's 2018 Ford Edge has electronic problems similar the what is post on this forum. Thar said, I don't consider entertainment system issues a function of vehicle reliability unless they keep one from driving it.
Reliability is everything you paid for works the way it should and for a long period of time. Dependability is that it will safely take you where you want it to when you want it to.
So everything factors into reliability and CR divides it into several categories with some more important than others.

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Reliability to me is does the car start and drive safe to where I need to go. Can I drive it tons of miles without it being broke down on the side of the road. I am not going to huff and puff if the heated seat stopped working and it needed to be fixed and call the car "Unreliable"
See above response.
Originally Posted by rwells4
Consumer Reports' reliability ratings have almost become obsolete, in spite of their dogged attempts to maintain their relevance. Cars today have become so reliable that "problems" have truly become "first world problems". So yes, a busted gadget or a loose leather stitch can make a car "unreliable" in CU's eyes, and drop it's ranking considerably. Kinda stupid, if you ask me. On the other hand, their video reviews are pretty well done. But the print edition? Fish wrap.
I take CR with a grain of salt as to their reviews and recommendations of new cars (obsession with Tesla as case in point). However, their reports from owners on reliability and problem areas are the most extensive and detailed in the industry.

They actually skew some of their reporting and recommendations toward performance as well. Depends on the car and its intended purpose. One problem over past few years (and why I quit subscribing) is that they do very limited new car reviews. By that I mean very little detail about the cars and evaluation reports.

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
You're not the OP, so why do you think you need to police this thread on behalf of the OP?
Any help is appreciated in trying to keep the comments on topic. M-B "E" Class reliability is declining compared to other makes. To some extent it is because the others are getting better, but still M-B is NOT "The Best or Nothing."

Thanks to all who contributed, but please do not express your opinions about Consumer Reports. Just about whether or not M-B reliability is declining. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to Merriam-Webster reliability and dependability are synonyms.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to Merriam-Webster reliability and dependability are synonyms.
In the auto world, they are actually different. Reason is as stated above by those who believe the car being able to move and stop is the only "reliability" issue. That is a dependability issue. That is why there are actually two different words and why evaluators call it reliability and not dependability.
All the rating magazines, websites, etc. consider ALL factors. If it does not work, it is not reliable.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 Sport/ Diamond White
Well let me tell you a little about reliability on this Jewel.....from my own opinion. I bought a 2017 E300 Luxury in May 2017. I put about 13K miles on it and then starting having some shifting issues this past summer. Took it to the dealer and 55 straight days later of being in the shop and several parts coming from Germany and countless consults back and forth between dealer and Mercedes I get a call......(paraphrasing).....yeah....we can't fix this thing?? After numerous calls with me at Atomic levels (I kept my cool surprising all 55 days it was in the shop but finally exploded on the "We can't fix it").......they basically say just come down here and pick out another car comparable in equipment and price. So I did.....

I couldn't find another luxury obviously since they are in short supply so I picked out a new 2018 Sport model with about 1200 miles on it. (I gave up the multicontour seats, fragrance system on the luxury but I gained real leather, panoramic roof and ventilated seats on the new '18 and got to keep my burl wood steering wheel). I am now 4 months into owning this one and it has tons more rattles than the '17 ever did. I have had to have it in the shop for a back driver door that wouldn't unlock at times and I already have the leather on the driver's seat wearing down and separating, which they say is just part of normal "wear and tear".....Really?? Leather issues on a new car at now 4,800 miles? Believe me.......I am one of those people that totally babies my car, detailed 1-2 times per week religiously and maintained mechanically RELIGIOUSLY!! So if the leather is wearing out lets just say basically at delivery...lol......then I am sorry but that is just simply some ****ty leather....and by the way it is the real leather (upgrade in $) that is nut brown.

Having now owned two of these things.....a 2017 that was basically a lemon....and now a 2018 with weird rattles and premature wear on leather.......I am quite perplexed by this car and frankly this brand to be honest. I have always dreamed of owning an E or S mercedes and this is my first Mercedes...thought I would start with the new E. I have driven Infiniti's for the last 16 years (used '95 J30t, new '05 G35 Coupe and new '10 FX35) and I can honestly say....God strike me with lightning if I am lying......I NEVER had issues with the Infiniti's. Kind of sad actually that the build quality on this new E is not top notch.....after all it is a beautiful car inside AND out......but IMHO....reliability on this car so far is a D+....probably should be an F since I previously had a lemon but I will go with a D. Sorry if I upset others.......just going off my own personal experience. Unless you have spent $65K for a new car that was a lemon and then had to go through the motions of replacing that lemon in less than a year and a half of ownership.......my opinion is completely valid here....and factually supported.....just saying.
El Cid (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, really sorry you've had issues like this on both E cars. On the leather, it is fully covered under warranty, so if it is not wearing well, you have every right to expect and get the leather replaced. Just elevate the issue to the service manager. You should also expect they can resolve any rattles you have. And if your dealer won't accommodate you, go to a different dealer.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sound a lot like the experience RickInHouston had that took several months to resolve with a new Mercedes (not a W213).
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
How many of you read Consumer Reports before making your buying decision? How many bothered to go and check out the Car of the Year beforehand?

No offense, but based on the majority of the signatures listing previously owned Mercedes I'm guessing that CR reliability and MT "Car of the Year" opinions did little to influence most on this forum, including myself. That doesn't necessarily make their opinions wrong, just irrelevant in this case. Call me a car snob, but I'm not buying a Genesis regardless of the awards it wins.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability