Won't start after light accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
W213
Won't start after light accident

Hi all!
Bought the car ( W213, 2017, 9K on the clock) from the auction with light front damage, steering wheel, knee, left curtains deployed. Car not starting.
battery flat but when we connect the jump lead the ignition turn ON but nothing else....
can you give any tip what it can be, pyrofuse, srs reset or need propa computer work???
the guy next garage had the same problem, he call some tech with some machine who found the problem and start the engine even with deployed airbags but I won't pay £500 by now if I at list try my own best.
thanks

Old 12-12-2018, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I'm no expert but it's easy to imagine that cars are designed not to start if the airbags have deployed.Just a guess on my part.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 AM

W213
Originally Posted by listerone
I'm no expert but it's easy to imagine that cars are designed not to start if the airbags have deployed.Just a guess on my part.
you are 100% right but there is the way how to fix it, I looking for that way!)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Originally Posted by listerone
Well, I don't like the sound of this.

So, if God forbid I had an accident, airbags deployed, and I switch off the car to get out and inspect the situation (i.e. other car involved, passengers, damage, whatever) then need to start the car and move it to a safer position or on to a recovery truck - this wont be possible? The car cannot be started again?

Doesn't seem too clever to me.

I appreciate that the safety of the car would be compromised without airbags so by all means it could go in to a "limp/recovery" state, restricting engine rpm and overall speed, but it should still start and allow you to maneuver - that's my opinion anyway.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by M11UKR
you are 100% right but there is the way how to fix it, I looking for that way!)
I think you're asking for a mechanics solution to a situation that is likely out of the vast majority of our knowledge. The picture you showed clearly shows the car was in an accident. There's no way for any of us to know how severe it was to the myriad systems in your car. Only a qualified Mercedes mechanic can evaluate what needs to be fixed in order to make the car run and road worthy. This is like going on a forum, and telling regular people you have a pain in the lower left side of your abdomen and asking what is wrong with you and how to make the pain go away. A doctor would need to see you and then make a diagnosis.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 194 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I think you're asking for a mechanics solution to a situation that is likely out of the vast majority of our knowledge. The picture you showed clearly shows the car was in an accident. There's no way for any of us to know how severe it was to the myriad systems in your car. Only a qualified Mercedes mechanic can evaluate what needs to be fixed in order to make the car run and road worthy. This is like going on a forum, and telling regular people you have a pain in the lower left side of your abdomen and asking what is wrong with you and how to make the pain go away. A doctor would need to see you and then make a diagnosis.
This. That being said, depending on the severity of the accident, there may be a battery disconnect. If you're still seeing some power to the car, it might not be the case. I'm not sure that airbag deployment shuts off the ability to start the engine, for a number of reasons. Would definitely recommend getting someone to hook it up to an SDS and see what codes it's throwing.

Here's my guess: The W213, like its predecessors, has two batteries. You're probably able to see instrument cluster and some limited information due to the auxiliary battery being connected. The car may have disconnected the primary in the accident due to perceived severity. So, you're getting some activity, but unable to start. That's my thought on it.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 AM

W213
agree with you but never know. I will fix this car for sure its just question on time and will remember it for someone need it again.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:55 AM

W213
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
This. That being said, depending on the severity of the accident, there may be a battery disconnect. If you're still seeing some power to the car, it might not be the case. I'm not sure that airbag deployment shuts off the ability to start the engine, for a number of reasons. Would definitely recommend getting someone to hook it up to an SDS and see what codes it's throwing.

Here's my guess: The W213, like its predecessors, has two batteries. You're probably able to see instrument cluster and some limited information due to the auxiliary battery being connected. The car may have disconnected the primary in the accident due to perceived severity. So, you're getting some activity, but unable to start. That's my thought on it.
thanks. As I mention in above message the main battery was dead completely cos car was parked somewhere while insurance deal with the incident case ( found conformation) so systems eat all power, when we connect the battery pack the car got alive so probably nothing happen with the pyrofuse or prefuse it also called.

Last edited by M11UKR; 12-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 PM

I wonder if all batteries go dead (primary and aux) if something needs to be done by a dealer or road-side. I haven't ever heard of that, but maybe that's part of the complication. I mean, it's a car, it should start if there's enough starting power. When you connected the starter pack, I wonder if the car might not like its power delivery profile? Maybe too much power from the pack was draining to the main and aux batteries?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM

W213
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
I wonder if all batteries go dead (primary and aux) if something needs to be done by a dealer or road-side. I haven't ever heard of that, but maybe that's part of the complication. I mean, it's a car, it should start if there's enough starting power. When you connected the starter pack, I wonder if the car might not like its power delivery profile? Maybe too much power from the pack was draining to the main and aux batteries?
Mercedes have alive systems all the time so they use battery power all the way. The car I bought was parked for long so battery dead. AUX only for stop/start and other small stuff.
there are other problems... looking for which one. Will see on Monday what the Star say and call for stealer for their advice. I heard Merc dealer must connect Online with main MB database and reload the car or clear crash data in ECU then vehicle will start again. Madness )))
Old 12-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Mercedes have alive systems all the time so they use battery power all the way. The car I bought was parked for long so battery dead. AUX only for stop/start and other small stuff.
there are other problems... looking for which one. Will see on Monday what the Star say and call for stealer for their advice. I heard Merc dealer must connect Online with main MB database and reload the car or clear crash data in ECU then vehicle will start again. Madness )))
Most vehicles have an inertia, or fuel cut-off, switch. They are designed to turn off the fuel pump and prevent possible fire following a collision. Most can be reset. You should really have a qualified person check this out for you.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM

W213
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Most vehicles have an inertia, or fuel cut-off, switch. They are designed to turn off the fuel pump and prevent possible fire following a collision. Most can be reset. You should really have a qualified person check this out for you.
as I said above I'm not ready to pay 500 pounds to the guy who will do silly manipulation I can do as well!)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
as I said above I'm not ready to pay 500 pounds to the guy who will do silly manipulation I can do as well!)
No disrespect, but testing it might take special tools. Tied to seat belt tightening, air bag deployment, fuel cut off. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
As with computers it isn't what you can do, it is knowing what/where to do it with the necessary tools. You will most likely require Xentry, Vedaimo and a few special purpose tools to do full repairs. Purely mechanical repairs are for last century vehicles.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
You gotta pay to play, hes got the computer? hes got the solution.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 AM

W213
Originally Posted by ua549
As with computers it isn't what you can do, it is knowing what/where to do it with the necessary tools. You will most likely require Xentry, Vedaimo and a few special purpose tools to do full repairs. Purely mechanical repairs are for last century vehicles.
Possible! I found the guy who are do computer jobs to Rang Rover dealer, he must know whats going on with these new, stupid technology. Desperate to talk but Im currently outside UK so it wait till Monday. Will keep update!))

Last edited by M11UKR; 12-14-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 AM

W213
Originally Posted by Mbracer26
You gotta pay to play, hes got the computer? hes got the solution.
i will find out how it works! Never give up!)
P.S. greed its sin !!!!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
i will find out how it works! Never give up!)
P.S. greed its sin !!!!!!
its not greed if hes got the knowledge and expertise. its like saying doctors who study 10yrs and charge a lot are greedy...
Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM

W213
man with Xentry computer came today, when we were talking Sunday night and I explained the problem he said thats he make the engine to be run, but didn't .
last night I put the new battery, original gone completely
he connected his computer to the car, Xentry found 36 ECU form 39 existing, it does not seen engine ecu, transmission ecu and fuel pump ecu! he said that he never saw this problem before. we connect the main plug charger on car to keep the voltage.... once or two times Xentry connect to all 39 systems but when we click on each there was message the " info unavailable".
he left without result and money.
the technician owner the workshop where my car parked and waiting for rest of jobs put his computer and connect to the car, we got the same thing, 36 from 39 ecu available... so something prevent the Star communicate with those 3 systems, if you don't have it you can't know what the things are faulty.
any idea?
thanks
Old 12-17-2018, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

man with Xentry computer came today, when we were talking Sunday night and I explained the problem he said thats he make the engine to be run, but didn't .
last night I put the new battery, original gone completely
he connected his computer to the car, Xentry found 36 ECU form 39 existing, it does not seen engine ecu, transmission ecu and fuel pump ecu! he said that he never saw this problem before. we connect the main plug charger on car to keep the voltage.... once or two times Xentry connect to all 39 systems but when we click on each there was message the " info unavailable".
he left without result and money.
the technician owner the workshop where my car parked and waiting for rest of jobs put his computer and connect to the car, we got the same thing, 36 from 39 ecu available... so something prevent the Star communicate with those 3 systems, if you don't have it you can't know what the things are faulty.
any idea?
thanks
You really need to turn this puppy over to a Mercedes service center. People here could guess till cows fly, but that won't likely get your car out of where it currently is.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 PM

W213
You really need to turn this puppy over to a Mercedes service center. People here could guess till cows fly, but that won't likely get your car out of where it currently is.
LOL, yes but this thread for future....
im not western world boy and not adjust to throw the money to the bin like others.
i writing cos I know the other people want to know the conclusion.

The following users liked this post:
velryba (10-06-2021)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL, yes but this thread for future....
im not western world boy and not adjust to throw the money to the bin like others.
i writing cos I know the other people want to know the conclusion.
Yes, we are most assuredly interested in the outcome, but you keep asking for ideas as though you think we can diagnose a car damaged in an accident. We simply can't. Western world or not, you need to invest in having a qualified Mercedes dealer to get it running.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 AM

W213
Yes, we are most assuredly interested in the outcome, but you keep asking for ideas as though you think we can diagnose a car damaged in an accident. We simply can't. Western world or not, you need to invest in having a qualified Mercedes dealer to get it running.
ok, got you, threads how to change the wheels much more interesting.

CAR STARTED TONIGHT

TOPIC CLOSED

Last edited by M11UKR; 12-18-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM

CAR STARTED TONIGHT
Hooray! What was the solution?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I'd also like to know the progress and end result.

ok, got you, threads how to change the wheels much more interesting.

CAR STARTED TONIGHT

TOPIC CLOSED

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Won't start after light accident