W213 CD Player Rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by ua549
Here are a few CD players.

Efficiency is the reason old technology cannot be ordered. How far back does one go? Cassette tape & CD are all from the last century but were still available in the early 21st century.
None of the units listed connect via USB to the Command system allowing for a display etc or even sound. Several there are specific to Macs and others for PC type computers. And while admittedly I didn't do an exhaustive search, several aftermarket automotive sites like Crutchfield claim that an aftermarket USB player for the Mercedes doesn't exist and others say such a thing doesn't exist for any vehicle.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by CarFan1
None of the units listed connect via USB to the Command system allowing for a display etc or even sound. Several there are specific to Macs and others for PC type computers. And while admittedly I didn't do an exhaustive search, several aftermarket automotive sites like Crutchfield claim that an aftermarket USB player for the Mercedes doesn't exist and others say such a thing doesn't exist for any vehicle.
There's a good reason none likely exist. Very few would buy it even if it did exist. If you're in the business to build products people want, you build products many would want. You don't waste R&D time and money on something that would more than likely simply sit on a shelf gathering dust.

I wouldn't buy one of these if they were still made either:

Last edited by rbrylaw; 12-23-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
You are correct. I should have tried it before posting. COMAND does not recognize a USB player when connected. The CD spins up but cannot play.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
M-B does not care.

Originally Posted by Cao Black
May I play Devil's Advocate here. Why CDs? For $1200 you could have had a "professional" transfer all of your CDs to digital media. No more mechanical issues, no more storage issues. Add or delete files easily. There really is no downside.

To each his own of course, but digital technology changes rapidly (yes, sometimes too rapidly). I don't miss carrying a pocket of coins for payphones...
Originally Posted by JTK44
You have Sirius radio free for 6 months.

After that, it you like it call 1 866 635 2349 (Sirius radio). Tell them you want to cancel. They will offer you deals. You must keep saying "no" that is too much. They will finally arrive at $4.99 per month plus tax amounts to $5.94 per month.

This is what I do.

But like you I listen to books on tapes, CD's from my library which I will miss.
Every time I get Sirius, I can only find three stations to which I wish to listen. Now they also have DJ's on some stations, just like free radio.

Originally Posted by JTK44
I use my Mercedes for daily driving including picking up my two granddaughters. They love to listen to "Wiggles" on the CD player. Certainly not going to pay $1200 plus for a CD player!

Frankly did not even know that there was no CD player in the 2019 E 450! (glad I did not know as this would have been upsetting me since September when I placed my order.)

First no spare tire, then no donut now no CD player!
For me that means NO M-B (or similar cars) You can add start/stop to the list of why not to buy.
Originally Posted by mobster600
OP - You can transfer CD data to USB, then use it in car
With over a thousand CD's, this is way too much work or cost to pay someone to do it. Transferring CD's to Music Register as I drove along was the best way to do it.

1- Save the CD content to your PC
2- Drag the songs to a USB
3- Stick the USB in the car and your golden
As noted above, way too time consuming.

Main issue is if Lincoln can do an optional CD player in the Continental for $300, why can't M-B?
Of course, this can be said for almost anything M-B/Daimler manufactures. Everything is done in the most complicated (and costly) fashion possible even when there are far less expensive and simpler ways to do it. Over-engineering is not a good thing.
As for last century technology, so is 90% of what M-B manufactures. V-8's, V-6's, etc. are all last century technology.
M-B makes the cars with all kinds of adapters built in or programmable or whatever for many functions that many, many people never use. Why can't they do it for a CD player? Because they do not care.

Incidentally there are companies manufacturing and selling thousands, if not millions, of CD's. So there is still a market for them or they would not be in the business of doing it.
Not to mention the car market for people who own hundreds of CD's and prefer them to USB, streaming, etc.

Last edited by El Cid; 12-23-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by El Cid
For me that means NO M-B (or similar cars) You can add start/stop to the list of why not to buy.

As noted above, way too time consuming.
Au contraire. Twelve Hundred Dollars would buy some teenage techo-wiz for years of transfer services, leaving your CDs safely stored at home until they reach their half life.
Honesty, it seems feckless to NOT buy something because of it's superior technology, but variety is the spice after all.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
A CD holds a max of 700MB; a 128GB USB flash drive that's about the size of your thumbnail, which you can get from Amazon for $23, will hold the equivalent of more than 180 CDs. Far more convenient as you don't have to manually change one CD for another, excellent sound quality, takes up virtually no space, and no skipping or unplayable recordings. If that's not enough, you can get one with 256GB capacity for under $50.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes E450
I wonder how much resistance there was in:

1963, switched from tubes to transistors
1965, switched to 8-track
1970, switched to cassette tapes
1985, switched to CD’s
Now, we’re switching to Thumbdrives

HBH

Old 12-23-2018, 05:01 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
You forgot records.

BTW, I have a Jolida tube amp in my home stereo system, along with a CD changer, a turntable, and some rather large speakers — but I wouldn't want any of those in my car!

The following users liked this post:
Cao Black (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Thumbdrives, USB's, et. al. are not necessarily "superior technology," just somewhat more convenient. The superior mode is the one that produces the best sound. That is a CD. And don't bother to list all the arguments saying that isn't so, because it is. And the more "songs" you record to the USB, the lower the quality of sound reproduction.
As for why the CD replaced the previous sources, it is simple. It is more convenient, it reproduces sound at the same or a higher quality, is less susceptible to accidental damage, has greater capacity, etc.
Another advantage is that I can load six CD's into my "E" that I might not normally listen to. This time of year that is what I do with Christmas music. Therefore my Music Register has room for other songs that I might play year round. Another advantage to CD's is that once they are loaded, they are out of sight and safe. USB's are out there for anyone to see who may want to break into the car to get them to see what might be on them. They may also be damaged while inserting or removing. They are also more fragile than CD's in the sense that dropping one CD damages one CD. Dropping a USB and damaging it damages everything on it. I have done this with a USB.

Last edited by El Cid; 12-23-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by The_Judge
You forgot records.

BTW, I have a Jolida tube amp in my home stereo system, along with a CD changer, a turntable, and some rather large speakers — but I wouldn't want any of those in my car!

​​​​​​​LOL. OP this must be salt on the wound. We should stop LOL
Old 12-23-2018, 06:08 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
You're correct to the extent that music recorded on a CD will have a higher bit rate than the MP3s that are typically recorded on a USB thumb drive — but it's clear beyond dispute that very few people — especially those who are of a certain age — cannot distinguish the difference except perhaps in a laboratory setting with very high-end amps and speakers or headsets. Even the best car audio system can't come close to that, especially when driving. But even if it can, the differences are extremely minimal if even detectable.

As for your argument that USB drives are more fragile than CDs, that's contrary to my experience. Same for your theft argument — the tiny USB drive is in the center console, well out of sight, unlikely to be seen by anyone who doesn't know where to look.
Cambridgehank (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by The_Judge
You're correct to the extent that music recorded on a CD will have a higher bit rate than the MP3s that are typically recorded on a USB thumb drive — but it's clear beyond dispute that very few people — especially those who are of a certain age — cannot distinguish the difference except perhaps in a laboratory setting with very high-end amps and speakers or headsets. Even the best car audio system can't come close to that, especially when driving. But even if it can, the differences are extremely minimal if even detectable.pro

As for your argument that USB drives are more fragile than CDs, that's contrary to my experience. Same for your theft argument — the tiny USB drive is in the center console, well out of sight, unlikely to be seen by anyone who doesn't know where to look.
You're absolutely correct. The FACT is the average human ear, especially as we grow older, simply cannot tell the difference between CD and MP3 or high-resolution music files. This was an interesting study proving that theory:

https://www.kirkville.com/well-craft...n-music-files/
Old 12-24-2018, 01:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by El Cid
Thumbdrives, USB's, et. al. are not necessarily "superior technology," just somewhat more convenient. The superior mode is the one that produces the best sound. That is a CD. And don't bother to list all the arguments saying that isn't so, because it is. And the more "songs" you record to the USB, the lower the quality of sound reproduction.
As for why the CD replaced the previous sources, it is simple. It is more convenient, it reproduces sound at the same or a higher quality, is less susceptible to accidental damage, has greater capacity, etc.
Another advantage is that I can load six CD's into my "E" that I might not normally listen to. This time of year that is what I do with Christmas music. Therefore my Music Register has room for other songs that I might play year round. Another advantage to CD's is that once they are loaded, they are out of sight and safe. USB's are out there for anyone to see who may want to break into the car to get them to see what might be on them. They may also be damaged while inserting or removing. They are also more fragile than CD's in the sense that dropping one CD damages one CD. Dropping a USB and damaging it damages everything on it. I have done this with a USB.
No offense but you should have a read this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

Old 12-24-2018, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
IMO there is no difference between CD quality and the same format on a memory stick or any other digital media.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:38 AM

2019 Mercedes E450

The difference of audio quality is mostly between analog (Record players, cassette tapes, etc) vs digital.

Some audiophiles insist that analog renditions impart a certain, difficult to define, audio quality, better than digital.

They also state that with digital formats, the compression of some formats negatively affects sound quality.

Given equal audio equipment, It’s the file format, not the storage medium, that may affect digital sound quality.

Frankily, I’ve found that non-audiophiles (like myself), can’t tell the difference....

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 12-24-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:53 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Wait wait wait.........you're saying the car came with no CD player..........and you knew that, and then tried to have one installed after delivery for 1200?! BY THE STEALER?!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Has anyone actually copied their iTunes Media folder to an SD card and had the car properly read the files and group them by album, playlists, etc.?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
I had a 6 disc CD changer in my previous car 2007 Infiniti that I used 1 time only and that was just to see how to load a single CD. This was back in 2007 I haven't used an actual CD since then. All of my CD's are in the 150 and 300 slot binders in the basement.
That car had a CF memory card slot that I ripped music onto, and all my other cars I either stream through Bluetooth or VIM is played via USB. I applaud car manufacturers on omitting this outdated tech.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:24 PM
flj

GLC 300
If you wan't a CD player, then, good on you, that is what you shall have.
I've ripped most of my CDs to high-res files and serve them up with JRIVER media center, available anywhere I have an internet connection and that includes my car. I'm thinking total cost for this project was well below $1000.000

So, here's the thing, a lot of my CD collection is available with spotify or iTunes plans and, with smartphone integration, there's nothing to do except for pressing the button on the steering wheel and say "play <whatever>"

Occasionally I still buy CD's because I can achieve better sound than what I get from the subscription plans. For people that can't hear the difference, this step is obviously not worth the effort.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
I can understand the various posters' feelings that they don't want to switch formats. It is an inconvenience for them. But I agree with many other posters that this would be a money-loser in this day and age. So for MB to 'be considerate' and offer that as a cost-effective option for a CD lover would mean that everyone else would have to underwrite their loss on that.
I love my E400, but am not really an MB fan boy. But it seems both good business and considerate of their larger buyer base to be judicious in which options are tenable and those that aren't.

You can't be blamed for not wanting to rip hundreds of CDs, it is unpleasant. But as has been pointed out there are companies and kids that would do this for you. Putting music in a digital library is a real game-changer for music enjoyment. The music service Roon has taken music loving to another level with their meta-data mining and awesome user interface.

The OP will not be persuaded, I'm pretty sure. But if you are anywhere close to the fence on this it is really worth exploring the upside of a digital music library.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:16 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
Actually, transferring music from CDs to a computer drive is very easy, albeit a somewhat time-consuming process if you have 100s of CDs, as does the OP. But consider this: most CD changers hold all of six CDs; it would not take too long to transfer the next six CDs you want to play to your computer and then to a thumb drive, which can be done in the background as you're doing something else. When you tire of listening those six, transfer six more, and over a period of a few months your entire music collection will be available on a single thumb drive and thus in your car.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by rbrylaw

Sound quality aside, since we've already established that most can't hear the subtle differences, you don't see many of these in use anymore either.

Having said that, if you want a CD player in your car, despite "better" options, more power to you.
Cambridgehank (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan and 2018 E300 Sedan. 2015 S550 gone.
I'm not familiar with portable CD players that use USB connections for a vehicle. Is there a link for such a thing? As for the OP, I added rear heated seats to my car because it suited my needs and I fully understand wanting your vehicle the way you want it. In fact, at the dealership before I even went into finance the day I purchased my Mercedes I ordered the auto-stop manual off switch on a rush order and had it installed 48 hours after purchase. Even though I don't use CDs, I am surprised that there isn't some simple OEM option especially when the car is ordered -- old technology or not.
Because it is not a viable business model. There is not a market for it and whatever is left of the CD hardware market is declining every month. All you need to tailor a playlist to your liking (or two or ten of them) is an iPhone and iTunes (or Android if that is your flavor.) Build your library for today’s reality just like you did for yesterday’s.

I remember this same dialog going on when cars eliminated casssette players and replaced them with CDs. Seems silly now, right? That’s how most view the discussion of CDs today.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Not only that, but you can find most CD albums on Spotify if you have a premium account. Then you don't even have to rip your old CDs, just type in the name of the CD and create your own playlists.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:27 PM

2018 E400 Coupe
FWIW, I have an old Asus USB CD player that I bought when laptops stopped including built-in players. Connects to the computer via just the USB cord (i.e. no separate power cord) and works great for installing software or playing music from CDs. However, I tried it in my 2018 E400C and, although it spins up when plugged in to any of the three USB ports, the car doesn't "see" it.