MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Internet In The Car (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/731397-internet-car.html)

JDPEClassUK 12-29-2018 03:18 AM

Internet In The Car

Anyone in UK/Europe tried to connect to the ‘outside world’ via the MB hotspot in the car?
I get a full strength hotspot and the external signal is full bars but just get a spinning circle and ‘Server not responding’.
I have never been able to connect since getting the car new in November. Dealer says car (module) is okay, Mercedes Me connectivity works fine (now!), Vodafone say no problem at their end and Mercedes Me people in Netherlands cannot find a reason why IMSI not being sent when hotspot and internet access request activated??? Any help, suggestions or experiences gratefully received.

78degrees 12-29-2018 09:37 AM

What I did was connecting a phone using rSAP so the hotspot in the car could use the SIM-card from my phone. I could then connect other devices to the hotspot to get online.

JDPEClassUK 12-29-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 78degrees (Post 7640941)
What I did was connecting a phone using rSAP so the hotspot in the car could use the SIM-card from my phone. I could then connect other devices to the hotspot to get online.

Thanks - but apparently (and I have looked through several previous threads on this) you cannot use your personal phone sim as a hotspot via the car if the car has the HERMES module and virtual SIM installed.

I cound use my personal phone directly as a hotspot, but that would only be for one user and not through the car.

rocky raccoon 12-29-2018 11:35 AM

Good News! Sounds like a safety feature to me.

78degrees 12-29-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK (Post 7641007)

Thanks - but apparently (and I have looked through several previous threads on this) you cannot use your personal phone sim as a hotspot via the car if the car has the HERMES module and virtual SIM installed.

I cound use my personal phone directly as a hotspot, but that would only be for one user and not through the car.

My car has the Hermes LTE module. The problem is that my current phone doesn't support rSAP as it's a Samsung with dual SIM..
Without rSAP this is of course not possible...

JDPEClassUK 01-02-2019 09:08 AM

Anyone else had problems connecting or registering with Vodafone?

stephos 01-02-2019 09:44 AM

If you tell me exactly what to do, I could try and test it this evening and let you know.

JDPEClassUK 01-02-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7643620)
If you tell me exactly what to do, I could try and test it this evening and let you know.

Thanks Stephos - can you set up your Wi-Fi hotspot on the car so your phone connects to the car (via Vehicle - Connectivity). Once you have done that and have your phone connected can you try and type ‘internetinthecar.com’ (no quote marks) into your phone and see what happens.

Nothing hapoens in my car but it should take you to Vodafone website to allow you to register. Be interesting g to see what happens for you.

thanks again.

stephos 01-02-2019 09:56 AM

No worries, I'll check this later and get back to you as soon as I can. Of course, I'm assuming that the ability to have a wi-fi hotspot in the car is a standard feature.....?

stephos 01-02-2019 12:04 PM

Hello @JDPEClassUK

I just gave it a go. Took me a while to find where in the menus to do this but I connected my phone via hotspot (2.4GHz) and it immediately opened up a web page at the address you gave me. Seems you need to then register with Vodafone to use the service.

Hope that helps....

KingScrubs 01-02-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7643709)
Hello @JDPEClassUK

I just gave it a go. Took me a while to find where in the menus to do this but I connected my phone via hotspot (2.4GHz) and it immediately opened up a web page at the address you gave me. Seems you need to then register with Vodafone to use the service.

Hope that helps....

Out of curiosity how much does it cost for the in car hotspot?

stephos 01-02-2019 12:06 PM

I managed to take this screenshot:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c3ad3d3174.png

stephos 01-02-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by KingScrubs (Post 7643711)

Out of curiosity how much does it cost for the in car hotspot?

Sorry, I don't know. I didn't take the process any further because I can't imagine having any use for it personally.

KingScrubs 01-02-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7643718)
Sorry, I don't know. I didn't take the process any further because I can't imagine having any use for it personally.

yeah it’s not worth it. especially for the price. In Canada it’s like $15 a month for only 1gb of in car internet per month

JDPEClassUK 01-02-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7643713)

Many thanks Stephos - I only wish I could see that screen!!

At at least I know what Vodafone are telling me is correct now though. Much appreciated.

stephos 01-03-2019 04:11 AM

You're welcome @JDPEClassUK - happy to help!

Egonvdv 01-03-2019 06:07 AM

you can do in via pc too:

https://internetinthecar.vodafone.co...3Du75tzk9of_14

JDPEClassUK 01-03-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv (Post 7644409)

Thanks - tried that lots of times but if you click on the register now button it just says this must be done from the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car!

Egonvdv 01-03-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK (Post 7644420)

Thanks - tried that lots of times but if you click on the register now button it just says this must be done from the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car!

you use to be able to go to the vodaphone page VIA the mercedes page, and it would register.
but they changed this, like they keep changing many other things on mercedes me and not for the better

parkwood 01-05-2019 05:21 PM

I am rural France based and had a huge problem setting my hotspot up but i got there in the end. It is annoyingly expensive especially as i have a 30gb per month phone data plan. The internet in the car rate is 120 euro for 50gb over 1 yr and monthly is 15 euro and 3gb. That said it works better for internet radio than android auto using the phone data plan i assume due to the car having a better aerial. My phone does connect automatically if its wi fi connection is on and i am tending to use it if i am a passenger and using my phone for internet browsing as again the connection hardly drops out compared to the phone connection.
So the process is to connect your phone to the mb hotspot the internet in the car service is NOT needed for this stage. The manual explains how to do this.
Then from your phone whilst connected to the car hotspot search for the vodafone internet in the car page and set up an account. I have 3 set up 2 never having connected to the car both done on my home wi fi or phone data not using the car connection. Set up a payment method and buy a plan i recommend the cheapest one to try it out.
My service worked quite quickly poss a few hours. You will know by logging into your vodafone account and checking the car attached it shows the imei no. I think the process of setting up the account is what ties the car to it as the ime data is included a bit like an isp address i assume. I got really annoyed trying numerous ways of connecting and it took several days inc a couple of hours at my dealer but the trick was setting it up using the car hotspot.
bonne chance

parkwood 01-05-2019 05:41 PM

Sorry did not read the thread properly seems you have connected but the vodafone page does not come up when you search on your phone?
I note what you say re the signal bars but i wonder if your location is an issue. It might be worth trying when parked in a different location?
The vodafone site is a bit tempremental and on occasions i could not log in on my many attempts so maybe their servers are not up to the job and making it more hit and miss for getting a connection or dare i say mercedes servers id the request is routed via them....mercedes me falls over quite reguarly with the message to retry.
i know how frustrated you are feeling!

JDPEClassUK 01-05-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by parkwood (Post 7646643)
Sorry did not read the thread properly seems you have connected but the vodafone page does not come up when you search on your phone?
I note what you say re the signal bars but i wonder if your location is an issue. It might be worth trying when parked in a different location?
The vodafone site is a bit tempremental and on occasions i could not log in on my many attempts so maybe their servers are not up to the job and making it more hit and miss for getting a connection or dare i say mercedes servers id the request is routed via them....mercedes me falls over quite reguarly with the message to retry.
i know how frustrated you are feeling!

Thanks - Appreciated. I did think about changing location and have tried in several places. I think you are right though about Mercedes Servers and Vodafone servers requiring a strong signal to sync.

Will keep trying!