MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Trade back after 1 month? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/731542-trade-back-after-1-month.html)

jl199986 12-30-2018 10:59 PM

Trade back after 1 month?

I'm dithering on whether to keep this E450 Wagon. It's beautiful, but I just don't seem to enjoy driving it. Maybe I should have gotten sport suspension or even up to E63. I thought I'd want cushier ride, but I miss a driver's car. My thought for the moment is to get my Golf R back (still on their lot) and then consider things more slowly. Not even a month owned, 900 miles. I got OptiCoat pro installed. Feeling like a money sink- but may want to cut my buyer's remorse off quickly.

Any advice for working with the dealership on this?

rbrylaw 12-30-2018 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7642062)
I'm dithering on whether to keep this E450 Wagon. It's beautiful, but I just don't seem to enjoy driving it. Maybe I should have gotten sport suspension or even up to E63. I thought I'd want cushier ride, but I miss a driver's car. My thought for the moment is to get my Golf R back (still on their lot) and then consider things more slowly. Not even a month owned, 900 miles. I got OptiCoat pro installed. Feeling like a money sink- but may want to cut my buyer's remorse off quickly.

You'll take a hefty loss for sure if you trade it. It's been titled, so they can't resell the car as a new car. You can check the used value of the car on the NADA Used Car guide. You'd be better off trying to sell it yourself. You'll still take a hit, but not likely as bad as what your dealer will offer you.

We traded a 6 week old 2018 E300 towards the 2019 E450 I have and we knew we'd take a loss and we certainly did.

JTK44 12-30-2018 11:24 PM

Have you tried Sport or Sport+.in dynamic settings?

As RBRYLAW correctly points out, expect a minimum of a 20% to 25% hit from MSRP if you sell now: (I received nearly 12% off of MSRP on my 2019 E450, so I would anticipate another 10% beyond that as your car is "used")

Lanzz 12-30-2018 11:28 PM

I'd keep it a while and see if you come around to enjoying it - it is a great car for sure, but nothing like a Golf R. One thought... keep the wagon and add another hot hatch in the future...

jl199986 12-30-2018 11:37 PM

Thx for replies.

True- I have not spent enough time in sport or sport +. I’m not sure it changes the suspension much in the lux , no ABC trim. Still, I should try it for a bit longer.

Since I think the depreciation curve is still steepest for now/ & more because I’m just not sure what else I’d want for now- I may stay in it for awhile. The $ wouldn’t hurt too much/ but I need to find something that excites me to step into each day.

I could also check into a set of non-RFT’s.

My wife says I should just buy the R back in addition. That might be the smartest move for now.

2012 merc amg 12-31-2018 01:25 AM

I went the other way. I had a 2018 E63 Amg that I traded in. I felt it was too stiff and brittle for me and was very harsh on the bumps on the roads up north. You could always find some E63 Amg 20 inch wheels that were take offs used I'd think and try them maybe with Michelin Super Sport tires. I too have the E450 Luxury wagon and am really enjoying the nice smooth quiet ride of the car. I do a lot of driving and find it more comfortable than the E63 amg. I drive mine in Sport Plus mode a lot and it's a blast, you can set your sport modes into individual mode and tighten up your steering a little too. To me the car seems like it has plenty off power and get up and go. In addition to the wider wheels and sport tires you could do a tune on the car if you wanted more power, that should give you about an extra 100 HP and it you wanted to take it even a step further I'm pretty sure you could go with E43 AMG larger turbos for over 500 HP with a tune. To top it off you could put on some performance mufflers to give the car a little more attitude if you wanted. All these things with the exception of the turbo replacement are pretty simple, the Turbo replacement might not be worth it as it's only going to get you an extra 34 hp, maybe a little more in combination with the performance tune. These might fit if you wanted something really wide, not really sure though, you'd have to check. https://mbworld.org/forums/market/730987

jl199986 12-31-2018 07:57 AM

Thanks Merc. Helped remind me some of the perspective I had in trading in the Golf to begin with. It wasn't actually that stiff of a ride- but the bumps did translate. The sportiness more came from the smallness and heavy tight steering. The merc doesn't get close on the steering even in S+. One could have fun just zipping around at 25 mph. Mostly the feel was about the steering and a feel of unlimited constant grip yet light weight. (And I miss the manual.) The Merc feels planted, but by it's weight mostly, and tech. The R felt like a spider gripping a wall. But like the Merc- to truly get up into the performance, power and capabilities of the car you're going so fast you really need a track to be legal, fair to other cars/bikes/walkers (New England.) I need to do some backroads runs to feel the e450 out again. & maybe just get my R back in addition or buy a darn Porsche. I like the Wagon so I don't end up living the cliche big benz/little porsche. Was a similar love of the hatchback.

All that said- I also needed/wanted a better car for passengers occasionally too. The R was actually bigger than you think there- still would always get some smirks from friends/ clients as a tiny car.

It's funny- the $ doesn't seem to feel the problem (some combination of wasteful/spoiled) as much the idea of 2 cars for just me. Wife and kids each have their single cars. Garage and driveway are pretty full, but big enough.

My wife's idea of the ideal car is a 2012 Highlander that just shows up- she doesn't have to think of buying, maintaining, or washing- and is also a 2012 Highlander, and if it ever breaks will be replaced by a same color, same trim 2012 highlander- most importantly it must always be a 2012 highlander. We fear change.

Enough of a rant that has more to do with my latent OCD, than the cars themselves. Thanks for listening. Over and Out. I'll just need to buy a parking lot and a porsche.

petee1997 12-31-2018 11:07 AM

Your car is a 19 model and if you trade on another MB, you should be able to do this at a reasonable cost. These big cars will never feel like a small VW R, but you can trade for something that you will enjoy more than your wagon. Try the E53 with the air suspension. That will give you power and in sport + with 20"performance tires, will handle quite well. The 53 has the new propulsion system, which is quite amazing. You will gain 81HP. The I- 6, 429hp plus 21hp electric motor, for a total output of 450HP. The inline 6 is also much smoother than the V6.

nycebo 12-31-2018 01:38 PM

Not a bad idea: swap for the e53 AMG or e450 coupe/sedan with sport package. Don't know why you even considered the luxury wagon over the sport wagon if you were even remotely of the consideratuon that you might miss the Golf.

Anyway, don't try to talk yourself into it. Trade now and get it over with. Lesson learned. Modest cost in the grand scheme of things.

Then again, I have a wagon and a Porsche. Curiously, the sport wagon is the best car I have ever driven. It is above average in every respect (comfort, power, elegance, tech, mpg, etc) ...more so than any other car or especially SUV.

jhpmbusa 12-31-2018 04:08 PM

one thing i have noticed with the e300 sedan is that the luxury didnt drive too differently from the sports trim... it was definitely more noticeable on the c class though...

2012 merc amg 12-31-2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7642062)

definately worth talking with the dealership about this. Selling u another car will pull up their salws nimber too. So where you live the roads are good. Nothing worse than having a tightly sprung sports car and bumpy roads. If I was just in Florida all the time I might have kept my 2018 e63 wagon.

jl199986 12-31-2018 10:14 PM

Sticking with it for now.

Actually- roads are awful in RI.

I think I’m going to indeed do the two car approach and look for a sports car come spring. I like wagons and hatches. The Benz coupes always cause me to hit my head getting in. They are beautiful tho.

I may try to get my R back in the meantime- before it sells. I treated it well despite pushing it a lot. Much fun in the snow- Somehow the Designo interior in the E450 interior doesn’t urge me to push the car to the edge. But it is so pleasant the rest of the time.

I’m also thinking that dropping to 18 inch wheels and non RFT’s may solidify the luxury feel enough that I’m not even seeking the sportier feel in the wagon. It’s pretty good as is- but the little bumps do seem to translate more than I want. All the RFTs. I think I’ll try that with a winter setup to start.

I figure the trade in bite at this point won’t be vastly different (accounting for use of the car too) in 6 mo or a year. By then I’ll know more.

2012 merc amg 01-01-2019 01:11 AM

Wow, small world I'm in RI summers. I race sailboats in Newport all summer and play tennis tournaments in Fla all winter, not a bad life :) I think the two car route sounds like your best bet. Try to get your VW back. Is it Viti? The guy who owns Viti now seems like a nice guy, very young to be owning such a big operation. Maybe you could talk with him, can't remember his name, I met him last summer. I spent a fortune with them when I bought my E63 AMG Wagon from them the October before last. That settles it though, in RI you definitely don't want a AMG, any AMG. Not comfortable at all on those roads. I think you've got a great RI car with the E450 Luxury wagon, just put some all seasons on it like a Pirelli Cinturato P7 non run flat and I think you will be quite happy with your car, you can just leave those on year round especially the wagon being AWD unless you ski up in NH or Vermont or something in which case I recommend winter specific tires.

Cao Black 01-01-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7642862)
Wow, small world I'm in RI summers. I race sailboats in Newport all summer ...

That brought back memories. Years (& years) ago I sailed (crewed) up and down LI Sound, Mamaroneck to Port Jeff. Had a blast. Do they still race 110 and 210s?

2012 merc amg 05-16-2019 11:59 PM

HI Cao, just noticed this post. Not sure about the 110 and 210's. We actually have a race in NY but we use the Ideal 18's which I'm not that crazy about. I have a Martin 16 which I really like and all summer here in Newport we race the Freedom 20's. Have a race coming up in Chicago this summer where we will be sailing the Freedom 20's.

CarFan1 05-19-2019 08:16 AM

It's now been 6 months OP, what did you end up doing? Two cars or trade in?

2012 merc amg 05-19-2019 11:27 AM

I’d keep the wagon. Just get some decent wheels with Michelin Primacy tires. As a secondary weekend car get a used Porsche 911. Perfect setup.

2012 merc amg 05-19-2019 11:29 AM

This wagon drives very nice with the Michelin’s. I don’t see how anyone can complain about handling. The car has no lack of power either and throttle response is quite nice.

jl199986 05-20-2019 06:56 PM

So I've kept the Wagon for now, I did some checking out prices and determined that keeping the car for even another 12 months wouldn't get me that much less on selling it. It's also grown on me a bit from those earliest weeks.

The too nice to make it sweat factor is still there a bit.

The biggest difference was getting the 18 (vs 19) inch wheels and non RFT's. Made me much happier until I put these summer ones back on. If I keep it I'll pop for another 18 in summer set.

In the meantime, been looking at used Porches non stop too.

jhpmbusa 05-20-2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7759987)
So I've kept the Wagon for now, I did some checking out prices and determined that keeping the car for even another 12 months wouldn't get me that much less on selling it. It's also grown on me a bit from those earliest weeks.

The too nice to make it sweat factor is still there a bit.

The biggest difference was getting the 18 (vs 19) inch wheels and non RFT's. Made me much happier until I put these summer ones back on. If I keep it I'll pop for another 18 in summer set.

In the meantime, been looking at used Porches non stop too.

Did you get OEM MB 18s? Also, what brand and model non rfts did you end up getting? Also, why do you have a summer set? Are your non rfts all season or winter tires?

Dino333 05-21-2019 12:02 AM

I love my Golf R 2018 MK 7.5 It is such a keeper in so many ways- but what I would love even more is a Golf R with the Audi 5 cylinder engine thats in the RS3 and TT-RS/ 2 Doors/ lowered from standard R about 10-15mm only, and a sunroof. 0-60 would be in the mid 3 second range- all wheel drive- with the new 2020 model interior that is going to look amazing- I would pay $55,000 for this car and would keep my 7.5 as the 4 door people mover when I need it. THIS is the best of all automotive worlds. The new with the 5 cylinder WILL not happen (neither will the 2 door on this side of the ocean) but one can dream. Back to reality - I love my Golf R as my daily- going back and forth between E53 Coupe or a good used SL 550 with ABC for the weekend cruiser. Love the look of the E53 however it is pretty big car= the SL may fit what I want better being smaller. Not sure yet.

jl199986 05-21-2019 07:08 AM

These "summers" are the original all seasons. The 19" 10 spoke with Conti SSR GX RFT's. There's another thread or two about these disappointing wheels.

For the winter set which are nRFT- i got RIAL M10 wheels ( A german wheelmaker who makes many of the MB OEM wheels www.rial.de) Someone here pointed them out. I wanted the OEM centerbore, so no rings or such. These match, same bolts, fits MB center cap. Bargain really.

Michelin XIce tires on those. Been very happy with that set up during winter.

I will probably get the same wheels for a real summer set, either PS4 tires or something super silent & squishy. Haven't decided quite yet.

jhpmbusa 05-21-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7760268)
These "summers" are the original all seasons. The 19" 10 spoke with Conti SSR GX RFT's. There's another thread or two about these disappointing wheels.

For the winter set which are nRFT- i got RIAL M10 wheels ( A german wheelmaker who makes many of the MB OEM wheels www.rial.de) Someone here pointed them out. I wanted the OEM centerbore, so no rings or such. These match, same bolts, fits MB center cap. Bargain really.

Michelin XIce tires on those. Been very happy with that set up during winter.

I will probably get the same wheels for a real summer set, either PS4 tires or something super silent & squishy. Haven't decided quite yet.

haha so the winter non rfts were still driving better than the rfts, correct? Seriously proves how awful RFTS are!

jl199986 11-17-2019 04:27 PM

Long term follow up on this thread. After settling into my e450 and enjoying it. I happened upon my dealer getting a sudden flush of e63's in 6 in all. Made a deal on a Wagon. I know the thoughts from many about the harsher ride. But I actually don't find it that bad. The super heavy damping of every bump and super stable anti-roll is what I love. And the nonRFT's make it so the little seams aren't any more noticeable than the were in my 450. I do wonder what I would have thought about a sport e450 with ABC.

To each his own, that's why they make all the different models! Anyway- thanks for the input. I won't be far away. (Merc...I imagine you're getting a good laugh right now.)

Hopefully this keeps 911 lust at bay for a few more years. I still need to see/pick up clients a good bit, the few who will know what an e63 is will appreciate the choice. Others will find me the sensible station wagon driver.

2012 merc amg 11-17-2019 09:09 PM

Wow congrats did you work with Brad at Viti?. He sold me my Red AMG a couple years ago. He kinda specializes in the AMGs there. They have greatly improved the roads in RI the past couple of years. I think the Governor is doing a good job. For me the 213 amg was just too tight and stiff and even though I can certainly afford it the gas mileage bothered me. The less I stop for gas the better. The E450 gets about 35 percent better mileage. Post a picture of the car when you get it. I guess you’ll be moving on to the Amg forums lol.