MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Bottom cushion seat bolsters (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/731611-bottom-cushion-seat-bolsters.html)

Peter Klein 12-31-2018 10:56 PM

Bottom cushion seat bolsters

I'm a new owner of a 2017 E300 with the sport package and I love everything about the car -- except the driver's seat. I'm tall but of average girth, and I find the bottom seat cushion much too narrow, and/or the side bolsters too tall and firm. The seatback cradles me just fine but both my hips get sore after just a few minutes of driving. The side bolsters are so snug and firm that it feels like I have a thick wallet in both back pockets (don't worry, I don't). I've tried every seat position but the bolsters don't have a separate adjustment. The flat part of the seat, between the bolsters, is really narrow, just about 11" in the back, where it touches the seatback. That is much narrower than in my other vehicles. Are other people having this problem?

I've searched the forums for seat issues and found various complaints -- some people find the MB-Tex too hard, the cushions too firm, etc. -- but not many people are complaining about this particular issue. I've seen a thread on the previous generation E300 where people talk about removing the seats and adding additional springs and padding to the seat bottom, but I'd prefer not to take stuff apart. I could purchase some sort of seat wedge or pillow but I hate to do that on such a beautiful interior.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience?

nycebo 01-01-2019 08:25 AM

Do you have the comfort seats? If so they can be adjusted from the comand settings.

Peter Klein 01-01-2019 09:51 AM

No but, even so, I understand that the Command adjustments are for the back bolsters, not the bottom ones. Anyway, I don't have any seat adjustment options in my Command settings.

superangrypenguin 01-01-2019 09:08 PM

Do you have the multicontour front seats?

Peter Klein 01-01-2019 10:25 PM

No, just the standard seats (Premium 1, so heated).

Peter Klein 01-02-2019 05:12 PM

Just to be clear, here is where I'm having the discomfort. Am I the only one?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...be5760820e.jpg

nycebo 01-02-2019 09:26 PM

So far it seems. Everyone is shaped differently though. What if you got a gel pad cushion for the seat? It would raise you up a bit and offer more comfort.

Peter Klein 01-02-2019 10:02 PM

You're right, of course, but I'm just surprised -- I'm not particularly wide at the hips, and have not had this problem with any other bucket seat. Looks like a cushion or seat wedge is the way to go. Unfortunately, apart from the aesthetics, there's the problem that they all seem to be much too wide in the back -- I need something that raises me off the seat bottom but does not also lie across the bolsters.

jl199986 01-02-2019 10:27 PM

Test others?

Does the passenger seat feel the same to you? & could you try another seat at the dealer?

It seems an odd enough issue that maybe something is indeed different about your seat,

i love my seats. Fit great,

Peter Klein 01-03-2019 04:44 PM

Thanks, I tried another model today at the dealer and it felt about the same. Either my body is not used to a bucket scooped this deeply or I'm wider at the hips than I realized. The funny thing is that I didn't notice the issue at all when I test drove the car (more than once) -- maybe I was dazzled by the other great attributes of the car.

In any case, I'd be interested to hear if any others have experienced the same issue and what solutions you found most effective.
​​​​

Peter Klein 01-08-2019 12:01 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3a4b8ec082.jpg

Okay, my experimental DIY solution has been to get a 10mm yoga mat and cut it to fit the flat part of the seat. (I covered it with a not-quite-matching scrap of leather I happened to have in the house.) It lifts my butt off the seat just enough to relieve the pressure from the side bolsters. Unfortunately this means the seat warmer is just a back warmer but I live in Texas so not a deal-breaker. ;)

nycebo 01-08-2019 12:23 PM

That's a great hack! Maybe with time, you'll wear in the side bolsters and it will be comfortable enough to scooch back down again. Either way, good work.

Peter Klein 01-08-2019 01:56 PM

Thanks. Does anyone know if MB-tex fabric can be purchased in the aftermarket? I'd love a covering that exactly matches the original!

nycebo 01-08-2019 10:42 PM

Maybe but a used bottom seat cushion that matches your interior and have an upholsterer cut and stuff it for you?
​​​​​​
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?cmd=SKW&_pgn=1&_nkw=mb+tex

Nirdv55 01-29-2020 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Klein (Post 7642811)
I'm a new owner of a 2017 E300 with the sport package and I love everything about the car -- except the driver's seat. I'm tall but of average girth, and I find the bottom seat cushion much too narrow, and/or the side bolsters too tall and firm. The seatback cradles me just fine but both my hips get sore after just a few minutes of driving. The side bolsters are so snug and firm that it feels like I have a thick wallet in both back pockets (don't worry, I don't). I've tried every seat position but the bolsters don't have a separate adjustment. The flat part of the seat, between the bolsters, is really narrow, just about 11" in the back, where it touches the seatback. That is much narrower than in my other vehicles. Are other people having this problem?

I've searched the forums for seat issues and found various complaints -- some people find the MB-Tex too hard, the cushions too firm, etc. -- but not many people are complaining about this particular issue. I've seen a thread on the previous generation E300 where people talk about removing the seats and adding additional springs and padding to the seat bottom, but I'd prefer not to take stuff apart. I could purchase some sort of seat wedge or pillow but I hate to do that on such a beautiful interior.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience?

I just have to ask you , what did you do to resolve it?
I bought one today and I have the same issue and thinking of returning the vehicle and paying 500$ fine..
Everything is amazing besides that issue

maggs01 01-29-2020 03:10 PM

Hi, Peter. I have been researching the purchase of an estate wagon for a while, and recently took at 200+ mile test drive in a fully loaded 2020 E450 "luxury" sedan with the "comfort seats", as well as a 2019 Volvo V90 wagon. Both cars had nappa leather seats. While I liked just about everything more with the E450, I have to be honest ... for my wife and I, we found the bottom seat deck portion of the front seats of the Volvo to be much better. During our identical 200+ mile test drive with the Volvo, we didn't experience any discomfort with the front seats.

Regarding the MB, my wife's comment was that it "felt hard", particularly after traveling of 100 miles. I'd agree with her. The discomfort came specifically from the bottom seat cushion, near where it meets the backrest. In particular, we both experienced hip-joint pain. Once I put on the massage feature, the pain reduced substantially, for me. Due to my wife's prior back surgeries, I did not turn on the massage function for her.

I did a little research regarding exactly how the front "comfort" seats are constructed. My particular focus was on the bottom/deck portion of the seats. I found that MB has 4 fans located in the bottom seat cushion. Two of those fans are directly in the area where one's hip joints are typically located, when sitting on the seat cushion. Although I can't be certain, I wonder if the position of these two fans led to our hip discomfort. Just a thought.

PS: I'm 5'10" and weigh 185 lbs. My wife is 4'9" and approx. 110 lbs. As such, our size shouldn't be an issue relative to how the seat is constructed.

ua549 01-29-2020 03:53 PM

Over the years MB E class bottom seat cushions have always been on the hard side. (taxi holdover?) My wife is nags me to buy a different brand car. She adds extra cushions to make even day trips more comfortable. I must agree with her that after an hour's driving my bum goes numb. I'm 6'0" & 175 lbs. while she is 5'6" & 120 lbs. I never had this issue in an S class or BMW. We drive a BMW for road trips.

maggs01 01-29-2020 08:17 PM

Hi, ua549. Isn't it odd that MB can provide extremely comfortable seats in the S, but continually fall short (IMO) with the E? I see no reason why they can't figure this out, which leads me to the question of why they have not solved this issue? Of all the vehicles I test drove during the past few months, during my new car purchase quest, the most comfortable (all with leather) front seats I encountered were in the Volvo V90, BMW 540 and Genesis G80 and G90. Conversely, IMO, the previously sublime seats in the Lexus LS morphed into MB E-like comfort (not a good transition, again, IMO). Are all potential drivers of these brands destined to canyon race their cars, and want/appreciate the firmer seats? My guess is that some may benefit from these seats, but not necessarily the drivers who seek a more leisurely and luxurious drive, of which I am one.

As a novice to the world of German car enthusiasts, whether MB or BMW or Audi, from what I've seen each group realizes the strengths and weaknesses of each brand, accepts both and continues to support their brand of choice. For MB, at least for some, it might be seat deck discomfort. For BMW, it might be the melting plastic in the engine bay. For Audi, it might be some of its innards originating from the Volkswagen parts bin. No car or brand is perfect which, I guess, is why we have so many car brands to choose from. With this said, one would hope that basic seat comfort would not be such a high bar to achieve.

CL5504Matic 02-12-2020 10:52 PM

Having the same exact issue. Coming from a S class with the most comfortable seats to G class with a very high MSRP and they’ve skimped out on the seats. I was reading on another forum that the boosters are made of metal tubes that can be cut by a professional. Anyone have any permanent ideas? I’m not a fan of aftermarket cushions. And in NY, I can’t return this car. Thanks.

maggs01 02-12-2020 11:54 PM

Hi, CL5504MATIC. I don't think Benz cares enough about this seat comfort topic any more than the complaints about RTFs and the lack of a spare tire. Your choices may be to use a seat cushion or buy another car brand, unfortunately. Recently, at my wife's insistence, I cancelled plans to purchase a fully optioned Eclass. She complained about the "rock hard" seats. I agreed with her. Buying a Volvo, instead, even though I'll miss the engine, handling and dashboard from the Benz