Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Pulled the trigger...regrets

Hi guys,

Tonight I finally pulled the trigger on a gorgeous 2019 E450 sedan here in Texas. I got a great deal, however driving home..I realized after years of wanting one of these cars..I am not excited at all. So the paperwork was signed..yet not sent off yet as I need to take my Jeep to Texas Direct Auto since they offered more for my Jeep than the MB dealer. Once MB has proof of payoff then all will be done.

My question is..do you think the dealer will rip up my contract and let me out of this lease if I come back with the car first thing Wednesday morning? I do not want to get rid of my Jeep and one of the contingencies by MB Financial was that I provide that for the funding to go through. Obviously I should have thought this all through a bit more..so I don't need anyone to grill me on that. I will live with the decision if I have to..but is there any hope the dealer will be kind enough to let me drop the car off..shred the papers and let me go?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Probably not, the 3 day right to cancel law does not apply to Cars in Texas. If you were trading it in for another car on the lot they may work with you, other than that I doubt they will take it back, or at least take it back and give you back what you paid for the car. I'm surprised you don't like the car, the 19's I think they did a really good job with them and most people think it's the best car they've ever owned.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Probably not, the 3 day right to cancel law does not apply to Cars in Texas. If you were trading it in for another car on the lot they may work with you, other than that I doubt they will take it back, or at least take it back and give you back what you paid for the car. I'm surprised you don't like the car, the 19's I think they did a really good job with them and most people think it's the best car they've ever owned.
The car is fabulous. I guess after the fact I realized this isn’t the right car at this time for me. I know that they are expecting me to sell the Jeep to Texas Cars Direct and provide proof of payoff on Wednesday or MB will likely deny the loan as they don’t want two vehicles on me. I’m hoping that offers some leverage. I parked the car in the garage tonight and won’t drive it until I take it back. Perhaps they can be reasonable as the paperwork will be sitting in finance Wednesday morning waiting for the proof of payoff.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
If you already drove it off the lot and in procession of the car, I think they will make it very difficult for you. The car is technically "used" now and they are unlikely able to sell it to another person as a new vehicle. If the paperwork was signed but not processed, im surprised they let you drive it off the lot.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:22 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Maybe if you offer to trade it for a Mercedes SUV on their lot? And it might be a better fit relative to your current vehicle?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

I’m really hoping since my SUV isn’t tied to them..although they did try to make me trade it there..they will just say you know what we can’t do the deal if you don’t pay off the Jeep..frankly what I realized quickly Is despite how much I like the car..I don’t want to lease. I’d rather have a car that I will have paid off soon and no payments vs all the bells and whistles I felt I was missing out on.

I drove the car 8 miles..it will get 8 more when I go back tomorrow morning..the paperwork will have been untouched so I’m hoping they can be kind. Wishful thinking I know..but I’ve seen it done when I worked in a dealership.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by IluvS500
I’m really hoping since my SUV isn’t tied to them..although they did try to make me trade it there..they will just say you know what we can’t do the deal if you don’t pay off the Jeep..frankly what I realized quickly Is despite how much I like the car..I don’t want to lease. I’d rather have a car that I will have paid off soon and no payments vs all the bells and whistles I felt I was missing out on.

I drove the car 8 miles..it will get 8 more when I go back tomorrow morning..the paperwork will have been untouched so I’m hoping they can be kind. Wishful thinking I know..but I’ve seen it done when I worked in a dealership.
I really hope they do. Please keep us updated as to what they say.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by sam9187
I really hope they do. Please keep us updated as to what they say.
will do, thanks for all inputs everyone. Nothing like doing all this just to find out what your priorities really are.

I’ve dreamed of having a car like this for years and now that I have it..it doesn’t seem so important anymore. My dealer was fantastic and I really can’t say enough good things about them and how they handled it. I’m hoping they will show that same kindness out of hopes for future business and referrals for what it’s worth.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I suggest a Plan B:

Before you go to the dealer, have a figure in mind that you are willing to spend to get out of the deal/lease. If you have only Plan A - returning the car, (remember that it was bought in calendar year 2018 which is one reason you got a great deal - end of year quotas for the dealer and extra hold back and incentive money for them) you leave little room for negotiation.

So when the dealer will not take back your car (imo that is not going to happen - but I could be wrong) you might ask, OK "what will it take" to cancel the deal - then you can start the negotiations.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by JTK44
I suggest a Plan B:

Before you go to the dealer, have a figure in mind that you are willing to spend to get out of the deal/lease. If you have only Plan A - returning the car, (remember that it was bought in calendar year 2018 which is one reason you got a great deal - end of year quotas for the dealer and extra hold back and incentive money for them) you leave little room for negotiation.

So when the dealer will not take back your car (imo that is not going to happen - but I could be wrong) you might ask, OK "what will it take" to cancel the deal - then you can start the negotiations.
Thank you for the dose of optimism. Fingers crossed tomorrow that when I show up it will be somewhat cut and dry since no paperwork has been sent out to the MBFS nor the state for titling the car yet.

I feel terrible..they and my friends who work for MBUSA helped me out major. They seem like honest reasonable people, and the dealer has a great reputation which is why I went there in the first place.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Isn't it amazing and of course ironic that these feelings happen after you pull the trigger on something? Thank goodness it has extremely low mileage. I've seen plenty of cars here in Ohio with 7 or 8 miles on them sold as new. Heck, I defy anyone to tell me they've received their "ordered" new car without any miles on them.

A lot depends on your relationship with your dealer. If yoiu've bought from them before, there's a good chance they will try to accomodate a good customer.

I agree, I never lease. I only buy what I can afford; and feel 100% better knowing that it's mine free and clear. Plus I like holding onto my cars more than 4 years.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
With only 16 miles on the clock, I think you have a pretty good chance of returning it. In my experience it's not uncommon for new cars to have been driven 100 miles or more as customers and mechanics test drive them. I also think that your chances would be enhanced if you were to buy a different car from the same dealer. But it may come down to the legal requirements — if the car is now legally "used," you're probably SOL and will have to absorb a loss if you want the dealer to take it back. As they say, it's not personal, it's just business. .
Old 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by The_Judge
With only 16 miles on the clock, I think you have a pretty good chance of returning it.. .
I tend to agree. I have test driven cars more than 16 miles and not bought the same car I test drove. Plus the Jeep payment is still on the books. Please let us know.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by The_Judge
With only 16 miles on the clock, I think you have a pretty good chance of returning it. In my experience it's not uncommon for new cars to have been driven 100 miles or more as customers and mechanics test drive them. I also think that your chances would be enhanced if you were to buy a different car from the same dealer. But it may come down to the legal requirements — if the car is now legally "used," you're probably SOL and will have to absorb a loss if you want the dealer to take it back. As they say, it's not personal, it's just business. .
Originally Posted by Cao Black
I tend to agree. I have test driven cars more than 16 miles and not bought the same car I test drove. Plus the Jeep payment is still on the books. Please let us know.
well it had a few more than that when I picked it up..about 70 on it when I bring it back. Still should be negligible I’m sure. Test drive miles. Hasn’t left my garage today.

Will be there when they unlock the doors tomorrow. Will give an update. Any further advice from anyone is still appreciated!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Worst case scenario is you are forced beyond your will to drive a fine German luxury automobile for 3-4 years LOL

boo boo for you LOL sorry I don’t have any sympathy for you, a lot of people wish they be as fortunate as you to turn down an amazing car because you don’t care to drive it haha

Ok here is my answer lol.....the salesman just made a commission from this lease SO he is going to try to re-work the existing deal. Possibly a lower or higher end vehicle, a straight pull out of the deal is going to be darn near impossible. Not to be smart but, did you read the contract to see if that option is available? It might be flat out stated they will NOT under any circumstances take that vehicle back.

Do you have a copy of the contract? I would read that before you go to the dealer because they know that contract very well, they wrote it LOL

Good luck but I think you are going to be SOL....

Last edited by mobster600; 01-01-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mobster600
Worst case scenario is you are forced beyond your will to drive a fine German luxury automobile for 3-4 years LOL

boo boo for you LOL sorry I don’t have any sympathy for you, a lot of people wish they be as fortunate as you to turn down an amazing car because you don’t care to drive it haha

Ok here is my answer lol.....the salesman just made a commission from this lease SO he is going to try to re-work the existing deal. Possibly a lower or higher end vehicle, a straight pull out of the deal is going to be darn near impossible. Not to be smart but, did you read the contract to see if that option is available? It might be flat out stated they will NOT under any circumstances take that vehicle back.

Do you have a copy of the contract? I would read that before you go to the dealer because they know that contract very well, they wrote it LOL

Good luck but I think you are going to be SOL....
Hi,

Thanks for mocking me. I have read over the contract and nothing explicitly states I cannot bring it back. I’ll give my best effort to return the vehicle.

Considering the deal I worked was for a special pricing program I’m sure they would love the opportunity sell the car and actually make money on it with someone else vs me.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by IluvS500
Hi guys,

Tonight I finally pulled the trigger on a gorgeous 2019 E450 sedan here in Texas. I got a great deal, however driving home..I realized after years of wanting one of these cars..I am not excited at all. So the paperwork was signed..yet not sent off yet as I need to take my Jeep to Texas Direct Auto since they offered more for my Jeep than the MB dealer. Once MB has proof of payoff then all will be done.

My question is..do you think the dealer will rip up my contract and let me out of this lease if I come back with the car first thing Wednesday morning? I do not want to get rid of my Jeep and one of the contingencies by MB Financial was that I provide that for the funding to go through. Obviously I should have thought this all through a bit more..so I don't need anyone to grill me on that. I will live with the decision if I have to..but is there any hope the dealer will be kind enough to let me drop the car off..shred the papers and let me go?
By lay you have 3 days to cancel so if you are within your 3 days you should be ok. Most dealers will not tell you or will delay delivery of the car until after the 3rd day. Any specific reasons why you didn’t like the car
Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I explained above in Texas the 3 day rule does not apply. Different states have different rules. Same as Florida does not apply. You can see why as it is now a used car and if forced to take it back the dealer is going to loose money.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27

By lay you have 3 days to cancel so if you are within your 3 days you should be ok. Most dealers will not tell you or will delay delivery of the car until after the 3rd day. Any specific reasons why you didn’t like the car
I'm not sure why a lot of people think that there's a 3 day right of rescission, that' only applies in a very limited number of cases regarding certain finances and doesn't normally apply to cars sold at the dealership. I believe in most states, once you sign the paperwork, it's a done deal. No legal right to back out. It's up to the seller to let you back out or not. Legally, they don't have to.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
I have never leased a car in my life, but after you drive it off the lot, doesn't ownership change hands/e.g. title changes? Isn't that what kills the resell value because the dealer can no longer sell it as a new car?

Please be nice. I know how to spell "lease" that's about it. I've always financed cars.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Highly unlikely you can just take the car bsck, get whatever money you've already spent on the lease returned and walk out the door with no loss. The car is now used. It was done with a end of year deal, which is now over. So the dealership would probably take a loss. The sales rep expects a commission for the deal, etc., etc. Whether you drove it 1 mile or 8 miles off the lot, the car can no longer be sold as new by the dealership. The dealership had to register the car with the state DMV, so you could take possession of the car and get temporary registration tags. Now if you were talking about returning the car to get a higher priced model from them, which you are not, then they might be more receptive. If you were a repeat customer with the dealership, with a history of getting a few cars through them, then that might help as well. However, that doesn't seem to be the case from your post. In either case, you would still take some sort of financial hit though.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks everyone. I am well aware as stated in my original post that odds are against me. The deal was not a special end of the year deal. I am going to the dealer shortly to see if I can sort this out. I have worked in a dealership before..and I do know as long as the paperwork has not been sent off yet (and i know for a fact it hasn't) then it a lot easier (but not guaranteed I KNOW). That said..I am fully aware that they technically have no obligation to help me out at all unless they want to out of good will and future relations. I'll post the end result in the next few hours.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Anyway, good luck to the OP. It seems he is now well aware of the likelihood of a return. While I agree it's a long shot, fingers crossed for him anyway. We've all done things we later regretted.

And OP, please keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C200
It's called cognitive dissonance!
Had the same feeling after buying a 2017 c class and I had to live with the that feeling for around a year.

Took a 10k hit on that a year after and walked out happy.
For me the reason was that I really wanted the e class not the c.

The point is, if you really can't stand it, take the loss and learn. It's not really worth it to live with that feeling.

Now I ordered an e class, hopefully I will not feel the same again
Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

GOOD NEWS!

I am so happy to report that I just got home from returning the E450. They gave no resistance at all. Voided the contract and refunded me my drive off payment and was out of there in 30 minutes.

I am so so relieved to keep my Jeep, one day when I’m truly ready to get the MB of my dreams (2-3 year old CPO S Class) I’ll visit them before anywhere else. Truly a classy establishment run by people who understand the human emotional element of buying a car.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions on my situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by IluvS500:
Cao Black (01-02-2019), Lanzz (01-02-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger...regrets