E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

How OCD Are You? Let me name the ways........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by xrayted
Rod,

Does your E450 have black plastic front center console? If so, how do you keep it clean and unscratched.
Mine is a magnet for dust, tiny droplets (from soda spray, etc), fingerprints, scratches, etc.

From one OCDer to the next...thank you!
Thankfully, I chose the Natural Brown Ash center console. I once had the piano black console and it drove my OCD into hyper-drive, which I couldn't turn off. I had to wipe it with a micro fiber cloth every day and that lead to micro scratches which further exasperated things. I don't like the buttons in the center console as they're too shiny as is the Comand track pad. So I still have a micro fiber cloth in my under arm storage compartment.

It's nice to meet a fellow OCD'er! Yes, it is!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Me: Hello, my name is Rod and I am utterly, totally, OCD
Room: Hi Rod
OK, you get the idea. Yes, I freely admit I love this car and I freely admit I'm OCD. I can't be alone in my OCDism?
One thing I do which is uncommon is I am very fussy about parking spaces and always take the time to find one large enough to avoid my car getting dinged.
In my country, most spaces are so tiny that an E will only have 12 to 18 inches gap between it and the neighboring cars. It's ding city...
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mister__p
One thing I do which is uncommon is I am very fussy about parking spaces and always take the time to find one large enough to avoid my car getting dinged.
In my country, most spaces are so tiny that an E will only have 12 to 18 inches gap between it and the neighboring cars. It's ding city...
I'm definitely with you on this as well. I don't mind walking further as long as my car is parked in a spot less likely to be dinged. Another OCD'ism is I NEVER let anyone valet my car. There's one exception and that's at one my doctor's offices. You are not allowed to part the car yourself at their offices. But I have successfully ensured my car was parked within view of where I dropped it off.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 AM

Received 194 Likes on 133 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
1. Every single time I exit the vehicle and lock it, I check the front long-distance RADAR cover for dirt or damage to ensure that Distronic works as expected.
2. I always park a degree and a few fractions clockwise, and to the left, as a) there is always going to be a driver, but not always a passenger, so park closer to less-likely used door, and b) by parking at a slight angle, you increase distance to the other driver's door.
3. I always stop completely a few feet from the final parking position, and the lightly tap the throttle to pull in place. I hardly ever approach the final parking position in one go.
4. Dash cams in all our cars. See new posting in W213 picture thread.
5. Always wait for proper operating temperature prior to even moderate acceleration.
6. Even though I can lock the car from the trunk, I always lock it from the driver's side door.
7. At any store I visit frequently, I always park in the exact same row, facing the same direction. That way I never forget where the car is.
8. When I do visit an automated car wash, I always stop the car after the exit, circle the car twice, once in each direction, to check for any damage from the wash system.
9. I always close the front cup holder cover when I exit the car to ensure even fade of the wood trim surfaces.
10. I almost always lock the car, even if I'm only out of it for a minute. Always lock in the garage.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's a start!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 AM

E250
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
1. Every single time I exit the vehicle and lock it, I check the front long-distance RADAR cover for dirt or damage to ensure that Distronic works as expected.
2. I always park a degree and a few fractions clockwise, and to the left, as a) there is always going to be a driver, but not always a passenger, so park closer to less-likely used door, and b) by parking at a slight angle, you increase distance to the other driver's door.
3. I always stop completely a few feet from the final parking position, and the lightly tap the throttle to pull in place. I hardly ever approach the final parking position in one go.
4. Dash cams in all our cars. See new posting in W213 picture thread.
5. Always wait for proper operating temperature prior to even moderate acceleration.
6. Even though I can lock the car from the trunk, I always lock it from the driver's side door.
7. At any store I visit frequently, I always park in the exact same row, facing the same direction. That way I never forget where the car is.
8. When I do visit an automated car wash, I always stop the car after the exit, circle the car twice, once in each direction, to check for any damage from the wash system.
9. I always close the front cup holder cover when I exit the car to ensure even fade of the wood trim surfaces.
10. I almost always lock the car, even if I'm only out of it for a minute. Always lock in the garage.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's a start!
1. Anxiety when the kids ride in the car as they are at that age they will touch, scratch, press and pull everything they can reach.
- my 2.5 yr old was scraping his nails on the open pore black ash trim at the back just last month because "it felt nice". His car seat has since been moved to back-center where he can no longer reach any doors.
2. Double lock the car using the remote but still pull on a door handle to check it's locked before i walk away
3. Turn display brightness to low to avoid burn in
4. Turn multi-led brightness to 18% to avoid burn out.
5. Add extra layer of self cut high quality carpet to interior/boot
6. No smelly/dirty people allowed in my car
7. Food and drink consumption inside the car is banned
Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
What's really tough is parking the car in the garage with all 4 tire valve stems in the same exact position.
The following 2 users liked this post by West_Coaster:
guhvies (01-07-2019), nycebo (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by West_Coaster
What's really tough is parking the car in the garage with all 4 tire valve stems in the same exact position.
I'm pretty sure some people just lift the car up and line them up with a laser sight...
Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
E450 Cab all black Nappa leather with black ash wood.

My annoyances:

1. My kids who seem to go out of their way to get dirt from their shoes on the side of the doors or the plastic on the right side of the floor mats when they get in or out of the car!

2. Spit dots on the dual LCD display (sounds gross but let’s face it... all humans do this when we speak, whether we think we do or not.

3. Little crumbs or dirt or lint in the teenie, tiny holes on the ventilated seats... damn they’re hard to clean.

3. Unless my dog was in a dire health emergency, no way my golden retriever will ever set foot or paw in my car (especially claw marks in my baby-butt soft Nappa leather).... however, the amount of dog hair that still finds its way into my car is nothing short of amazing! Particularly clings to the plastic at the bottom of the doors and next to the floor mats.

4. The dirty rain spots that really only seem to be noticeable at the ledge at the bottom of the trunk lid. To me they really stand out there.

5. How much water drips into the car if I happen to need to open my window when it’s raining. Now... I fully understand that a rag top is always a compromise. I had a convertible about 25 years ago and it did the same thing. I get that there just aren’t the number of channels for water to be diverted, add to that the windows that are “naked” and have no door frame around 75% of them. But more than a very light rain and just opening the door or window and I’ll get a little stream of water that lands right in the seat leather or the arm rest leather. Then I go into pseudo-panic mode trying to wipe it off before the water damages it.

6. People touching my display like it’s a touch screen. ARRGGHH. Fingerprints , fingerprints. It’s not a touchscreen!!!!

7. Wish I could disable the volume “knob” that’s in the center console. Don’t get me wrong... I love it! It’s just that my wife does, too and she is constantly adjusting the volume of stuff. Slapping her hand usually doesn’t go over well :-). I know it’s not a cosmetic OCD thing, but still annoying :-)

Last edited by sackboydad; 01-07-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 AM

same here! My favorite spot is against an island on the right side. Use the 360 camera in left/right mode to get my right tires 6” or so from the curb so there is the maximum amount of room between the left side of my car and the right side of the car to the left. Of course, inevitably, someone will see a huge space there and still do a crappy job of parking next to me 😡
Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 AM

I'm definitely with you on this as well. I don't mind walking further as long as my car is parked in a spot less likely to be dinged. Another OCD'ism is I NEVER let anyone valet my car. There's one exception and that's at one my doctor's offices. You are not allowed to part the car yourself at their offices. But I have successfully ensured my car was parked within view of where I dropped it off.
I don’t like valet either but you’re right, sometimes you don’t have a choice. Just went to a hotel with my wife this last weekend and there was only valet parking. Did turn on soy mode thought... told me when the car was started and stopped and set a tattle-tale geofence to prevent a “Ferris Beuller” event from happening
Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. Anxiety when the kids ride in the car as they are at that age they will touch, scratch, press and pull everything they can reach.
- my 2.5 yr old was scraping his nails on the open pore black ash trim at the back just last month because "it felt nice". His car seat has since been moved to back-center where he can no longer reach any doors.
2. Double lock the car using the remote but still pull on a door handle to check it's locked before i walk away
3. Turn display brightness to low to avoid burn in
4. Turn multi-led brightness to 18% to avoid burn out.
5. Add extra layer of self cut high quality carpet to interior/boot
6. No smelly/dirty people allowed in my car
7. Food and drink consumption inside the car is banned
Love it Love it!!

Originally Posted by West_Coaster
Now, that's funny!!

Originally Posted by guhvies
I'm pretty sure some people just lift the car up and line them up with a laser sight...
I do, don't you???

Originally Posted by sackboydad
E450 Cab all black Nappa leather with black ash wood.

My annoyances:

1. My kids who seem to go out of their way to get dirt from their shoes on the side of the doors or the plastic on the right side of the floor mats when they get in or out of the car!

2. Spit dots on the dual LCD display (sounds gross but let’s face it... all humans do this when we speak, whether we think we do or not.

3. Little crumbs or dirt or lint in the teenie, tiny holes on the ventilated seats... damn they’re hard to clean.

3. Unless my dog was in a dire health emergency, no way my golden retriever will ever set foot or paw in my car (especially claw marks in my baby-butt soft Nappa leather).... however, the amount of dog hair that still finds its way into my car is nothing short of amazing! Particularly clings to the plastic at the bottom of the doors and next to the floor mats.

4. The dirty rain spots that really only seem to be noticeable at the ledge at the bottom of the trunk lid. To me they really stand out there.

5. How much water drips into the car if I happen to need to open my window when it’s raining. Now... I fully understand that a rag top is always a compromise. I had a convertible about 25 years ago and it did the same thing. I get that there just aren’t the number of channels for water to be diverted, add to that the windows that are “naked” and have no door frame around 75% of them. But more than a very light rain and just opening the door or window and I’ll get a little stream of water that lands right in the seat leather or the arm rest leather. Then I go into pseudo-panic mode trying to wipe it off before the water damages it.

6. People touching my display like it’s a touch screen. ARRGGHH. Fingerprints , fingerprints. It’s not a touchscreen!!!!

7. Wish I could disable the volume “knob” that’s in the center console. Don’t get me wrong... I love it! It’s just that my wife does, too and she is constantly adjusting the volume of stuff. Slapping her hand usually doesn’t go over well :-). I know it’s not a cosmetic OCD thing, but still annoying :-)
Love #6 and can so relate to it!!!

same here! My favorite spot is against an island on the right side. Use the 360 camera in left/right mode to get my right tires 6” or so from the curb so there is the maximum amount of room between the left side of my car and the right side of the car to the left. Of course, inevitably, someone will see a huge space there and still do a crappy job of parking next to me ��

I don’t like valet either but you’re right, sometimes you don’t have a choice. Just went to a hotel with my wife this last weekend and there was only valet parking. Did turn on soy mode thought... told me when the car was started and stopped and set a tattle-tale geofence to prevent a “Ferris Beuller” event from happening
So comforting to know I have family in the OCD Club. Yes, it is!!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
My list of of "NOT ALLOWED" would probably take about two pages. But for starters, living in South Florida, the weather plays havoc after you clean your lovely Black car. The color by itself attracts hair line "issues" which i take care. Dealers are not allowed to wash my car when it is in for service. The driver's door chrome trim and jam MB plate are covered prior to service to prevent scratches by dealer personnel. The center console trim panel(s) are covered as well. My wife knows how to close the door(s) without leaving fingerprints (LOL).

I do all car washing preferably when needed and use mostly Maguiar, 3M and Turtle Wax (Black Wax) products. Found them to be the best over the years. I wish dealer would train their make ready crew better. They tend to use broom sticks as tools to clean your cars. It drives me crazy and car washes. NEVER.

Finally, a car is just a car. I have leased MB's since 2004 totaling about 10+- cars and I always strive to keep them in immaculate conditions. And like my salesperson would say to me: you turn them in better than new. Well, that is the way I am. Not OCD, I just want to ride in a clean car whenever possible. The first few hairlines are the ones that hurt a bit, but like my wife says: "Get over it. it is only a car"…... Enjoy the day, you never know when your clock stops ticking….
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by haibieb
My list of of "NOT ALLOWED" would probably take about two pages. But for starters, living in South Florida, the weather plays havoc after you clean your lovely Black car. The color by itself attracts hair line "issues" which i take care. Dealers are not allowed to wash my car when it is in for service. The driver's door chrome trim and jam MB plate are covered prior to service to prevent scratches by dealer personnel. The center console trim panel(s) are covered as well. My wife knows how to close the door(s) without leaving fingerprints (LOL).

I do all car washing preferably when needed and use mostly Maguiar, 3M and Turtle Wax (Black Wax) products. Found them to be the best over the years. I wish dealer would train their make ready crew better. They tend to use broom sticks as tools to clean your cars. It drives me crazy and car washes. NEVER.

Finally, a car is just a car. I have leased MB's since 2004 totaling about 10+- cars and I always strive to keep them in immaculate conditions. And like my salesperson would say to me: you turn them in better than new. Well, that is the way I am. Not OCD, I just want to ride in a clean car whenever possible. The first few hairlines are the ones that hurt a bit, but like my wife says: "Get over it. it is only a car"…... Enjoy the day, you never know when your clock stops ticking….
You can try to escape being called OCD, but you my friend are OCD, just like many of us who strive to keep our cars clean and showroom shiny new. There is no escape!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
Originally Posted by haibieb
I have leased MB's since 2004 totaling about 10+- cars
Wow, that's a lot of car wrecks, you a demolition derby driver by chance?

(J/K, of course I know what you meant )

The following users liked this post:
haibieb (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM

E250
You can try to escape being called OCD, but you my friend are OCD, just like many of us who strive to keep our cars clean and showroom shiny new. There is no escape!
"OCD" is used far too loosely these days and used to label people who are in fact perfectionists who like their space to be kept well even down to details others might not even notice. I do wonder how many people here really are OCD or just perfectionists. If you look up the definition of OCD and the symptoms, it's really quite frightening especially when it's at the extreme.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"OCD" is used far too loosely these days and used to label people who are in fact perfectionists who like their space to be kept well even down to details others might not even notice. I do wonder how many people here really are OCD or just perfectionists. If you look up the definition of OCD and the symptoms, it's really quite frightening especially when it's at the extreme.
I'm sure that's quite true. I am more a perfectionist than true OCD. For the OP however, I chose OCD in more of a jesting kind of way.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:34 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
I have to hold my hand up here too.

I notice pretty much every imperfection and obsess over all the "little" things.

I don't have enough time to list everything but the highlights include:
  • Regular car wash (at home by me) - even in the winter cold.
  • Inside of the car is immaculate - strictly no food or drink allowed.
  • Even items placed in the boot/trunk must be relatively clean in order to keep it clean (this might be the most crazy thing).
  • All marks/spots/blemishes/fingerprints/etc inside or out must be removed as soon as possible.
  • Always try to leave as much space around the car as possible when parking.
  • I have a Nest cam pointed at the car where it is parked at home, so that I can keep an eye on it.
  • Fuel is usually refiled before reaching the halfway mark.
  • The centre console hatch (cup holders/wireless charging area) is always kept closed when I'm not in the car.
  • Besides my wife and authorised Mercedes-Benz personnel, nobody drives my car.
  • No personal items are left on display inside the vehicle
  • I even rest my car keys a certain way, where they are kept in my house.
Sadly my car already has a few stone chips (thanks British motorways!) so I'm trying to not look too closely for the sake of my mental health. I know it's a car whose purpose is to be used outdoors in a variety of conditions, but it's so beautiful and I want to keep it that way.

@sackboydad my coupe has the same problem, in terms of dripping on my drivers seat when I open the door and the car is wet. I also confess to getting quite upset if somebody puts a finger on the display(s). They get shouted when a pointed finger gets close.

Last edited by stephos; 01-08-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by stephos
@sackboydad my coupe has the same problem, in terms of dripping on my drivers seat when I open the door and the car is wet. I also confess to getting quite upset if somebody puts a finger on the display(s). They get shouted when a pointed finger gets close.
Ahhh! It must be the no frame around the windows. The good news is, even though I try to get any water drips off, I’m 100% sure some misses my attention. I’ve not seen any problems. Even though it’s really nice leather I’m sure it’s designed to handle little things like that.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to hold my hand up here too.

I notice pretty much every imperfection and obsess over all the "little" things.

I don't have enough time to list everything but the highlights include:
  • Regular car wash (at home by me) - even in the winter cold.
  • Inside of the car is immaculate - strictly no food or drink allowed.
  • Even items placed in the boot/trunk must be relatively clean in order to keep it clean (this might be the most crazy thing).
  • All marks/spots/blemishes/fingerprints/etc inside or out must be removed as soon as possible.
  • Always try to leave as much space around the car as possible when parking.
  • I have a Nest cam pointed at the car where it is parked at home, so that I can keep an eye on it.
  • Fuel is usually refiled before reaching the halfway mark.
  • The centre console hatch (cup holders/wireless charging area) is always kept closed when I'm not in the car.
  • Besides my wife and authorised Mercedes-Benz personnel, nobody drives my car.
  • No personal items are left on display inside the vehicle
  • I even rest my car keys a certain way, where they are kept in my house.
Sadly my car already has a few stone chips (thanks British motorways!) so I'm trying to not look too closely for the sake of my mental health. I know it's a car whose purpose is to be used outdoors in a variety of conditions, but it's so beautiful and I want to keep it that way.

Stephos: I belong to the OCD Club with Rod
Room: Hi Stephos!!!!

Welcome to the team, my friend!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahhh! It must be the no frame around the windows. The good news is, even though I try to get any water drips off, I’m 100% sure some misses my attention. I’ve not seen any problems. Even though it’s really nice leather I’m sure it’s designed to handle little things like that.
I don't think a few drops of water will do any harm to your leather seats. Cows got rained on a lot, naturally!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
You: I am also a member of Rod's OCD Club
Me: Nice to meet you superangrypenguin (someday you'll have to tell us where your screen name came from?)
ROFLMAO. Here's a hint. Go to UrbanDictionary, and enter in "Angry Penguin", then think about that for a sec (sorry) and add the word "super" in front of it.

No wonder I'm mad all the time, eh?!

ROFLMAO. NSFW btw.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
ROFLMAO. Here's a hint. Go to UrbanDictionary, and enter in "Angry Penguin", then think about that for a sec (sorry) and add the word "super" in front of it.

No wonder I'm mad all the time, eh?!

ROFLMAO. NSFW btw.
Oh my goo_ness!! I looked it up. Once seen and an image placed in one's head, it can't be unseen! LMAO
superangrypenguin (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Oh my goo_ness!! I looked it up. Once seen and an image placed in one's head, it can't be unseen! LMAO

Yeah...............

Sorry about that. LOL. Truth be told this guy came to mind when I came up with the screen name. Someone pointed it out to me after the fact, and it's stuck with me.

LOL

rbrylaw (01-08-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Stephos: I belong to the OCD Club with Rod
Room: Hi Stephos!!!!

Welcome to the team, my friend!
Thanks Rod. I'm just relieved to know there are others like me out there!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Rod. I'm just relieved to know there are others like me out there!
Me too. Closets are for clothes!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How OCD Are You? Let me name the ways........