MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Side mirrors obscure view on turns (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/732623-side-mirrors-obscure-view-turns.html)

onedae 01-11-2019 02:39 PM

Side mirrors obscure view on turns

Just got a new 2019 E300 after having a 2016 E350. Love the new car except for one glaring design failure - the placement of the side view mirrors. The mirror housings literally block any view of the side of the road ahead when turning - worse on left turns but true on right turns as well.
I've tried adjusting the seats, mirrors, etc but no help. Its especially bad when turning left onto a road that has a curb on the left side of the lane you are turning into as you cannot see that curb at all. I can't believe MB could have such a significant defect that has not been noticed by its customers.
Any thoughts appreciated.

allfortheunion 01-11-2019 04:21 PM

I thought I was the only one bothered by this. Same situation with our CLS - between the A pillar and left side mirror there is a big area to the left I can't see well.

petee1997 01-11-2019 06:36 PM

It's a design flaw and it does not matter if you are tall or short, your view is obstructed when turning. It's caused by a higher belt line than the previous model.

Cao Black 01-11-2019 10:31 PM

Definitely a problem. Would love to hear from coupe and cab owners about mirrors mounted on the doors rather than in the corner of the side windows.

The_Judge 01-12-2019 12:17 PM

I find it to be a problem only when I'm going uphill on a narrow road near my home when making a right turn onto an even narrower alley that slopes downhill. Maybe the driver's height has something to do with it? I'm 5'11".

teksurv 01-12-2019 01:56 PM

2018 coupe. No perceived blockage of view. Also 5'11"

Cao Black 01-12-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by The_Judge (Post 7652360)
I find it to be a problem only when I'm going uphill on a narrow road near my home when making a right turn onto an even narrower alley that slopes downhill. Maybe the driver's height has something to do with it? I'm 5'11".

Seat height and driving position as well IMO. I like to sit a little lower and with me legs extended rather than as if sitting in a chair with knees bent. On left turns where there is a curb it's nearly impossible to see it throughout the turn.

rbrylaw 01-12-2019 06:30 PM

Guess there's something wrong with me. I've not noticed any issue with turns and the side mirrors blocking my view at all. I tend to sit higher and I'm 5'9" and getting shorter every year :mad:

ua549 01-12-2019 06:42 PM

I have no visibility issues. I drive with the seat not quite as low as it will go and as far back it will go. I wish that there was 2" more leg room for the driver. I'm slightly less than a 6 footer who is also getting shorter each year size with a 32" inseam. I drive in an Italian arms out style for better steering control.

rbrylaw 01-12-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7652703)
I have no visibility issues. I drive with the seat not quite as low as it will go and as far back it will go. I wish that there was 2" more leg room for the driver. I'm slightly less than a 6 footer who is also getting shorter each year size with a 32" inseam. I drive in an Italian arms out style for better steering control.

Every bit I lose in height, I seem to add to my girth! Getting older isn't for the faint of heart. No it's not!!

Cao Black 01-13-2019 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7652693)
Guess there's something wrong with me. I've not noticed any issue with turns and the side mirrors blocking my view at all. I tend to sit higher and I'm 5'9" and getting shorter every year :mad:

Shorter? That's weird. I'm pretty sure I'm getting taller. I know this because I can no longer bend at the waist and place my hands flat on the floor, and the only possible explanation for this is that my legs must be getting longer. :y

Vallie123 01-13-2019 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 7651841)
It's a design flaw and it does not matter if you are tall or short, your view is obstructed when turning. It's caused by a higher belt line than the previous model.

Indisputable. Sit in any other MB sedan and you'll see the problem with the E immediately. Aside from that however, it is one great ride.

JDPEClassUK 01-13-2019 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7652693)

I’m with you - not noticed any issues at all and I came over from a BMW X5 which also had great visibility. Perhaps it’s just seating position?

mister__p 01-13-2019 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK (Post 7652952)

I’m with you - not noticed any issues at all and I came over from a BMW X5 which also had great visibility. Perhaps it’s just seating position?

Same here. I drive a RHD W213 and the visibility good.

rbrylaw 01-13-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7652905)
Shorter? That's weird. I'm pretty sure I'm getting taller. I know this because I can no longer bend at the waist and place my hands flat on the floor, and the only possible explanation for this is that my legs must be getting longer. :y

"Waiter, I'll have what he's having!" LMAO

Tom T 01-13-2019 10:27 AM

Coming straight from w211 which the side mirrors are right on the doors I find this annoying also. Every time I'm turning left I can not see the median. I guess it's the only way for Mercedes to accomplish the folding side mirror design.

Mbracer26 01-14-2019 05:16 AM

ive almost ran over 4 people, the belt line being higher and windows smaller is a big issue on this car. I can t see the curb when making a right hand turn. I am 6'2 and this cars got a huge blind spot problem.

BF3PDZ 01-14-2019 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tom T (Post 7653027)
Coming straight from w211 which the side mirrors are right on the doors I find this annoying also. Every time I'm turning left I can not see the median. I guess it's the only way for Mercedes to accomplish the folding side mirror design.

I too am coming straight from the W211 and I have the same issue with the mirrors obscuring my view when I am about to turn into the side street.

nycebo 01-14-2019 08:56 AM

No issues whatsoever. I'm 6'1" and sit on the bottom, with no blockage. If you're shorter, the recommendation is to raise the seat and adjust the steering wheel. Make your seat higher so that your head is near the ceiling. I notice way too many people sit way too low.

As or the mirrors themselves, do this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/

CaptainE 01-14-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by nycebo (Post 7653711)
No issues whatsoever. I'm 6'1" and sit on the bottom, with no blockage. If you're shorter, the recommendation is to raise the seat and adjust the steering wheel. Make your seat higher so that your head is near the ceiling. I notice way too many people sit way too low.

As or the mirrors themselves, do this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/

I have been doing this for 30+ years. If adjusted properly there is no blindspot and you can watch a passing car go from the rear view mirror, to the left side mirror, to being next to you in your peripheral vision.
There is a lot lacking in our driver training in this country. (USA)

allfortheunion 01-14-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainE (Post 7653829)
I have been doing this for 30+ years. If adjusted properly there is no blindspot and you can watch a passing car go from the rear view mirror, to the left side mirror, to being next to you in your peripheral vision.
There is a lot lacking in our driver training in this country. (USA)

That's not what this discussion is about - its about an obstructed view of the median when making a left hand turn onto a divided road.

rbrylaw 01-14-2019 11:54 AM

And I still don't get it. I was paying extra attention this morning and simply don't have any issues with seeing where I'm going when turning right or left. It may be because my seat position if pretty high, but I just don't quite get this thread, tbh. If someone has an issue with visibility, this is why Mercedes seats are extremely adjustable. If you can't see, adjust your seats so you can see.

CaptainE 01-14-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by allfortheunion (Post 7653847)

That's not what this discussion is about - its about an obstructed view of the median when making a left hand turn onto a divided road.

Good mediating.

joshg1001 01-14-2019 01:05 PM

I haven't noticed anything beyond the normal obstruction I also get from other cars. Im 6 ft and also sit higher so I can see over the mirror.

joshg1001 01-14-2019 01:28 PM

Btw the drivers side mirror is already shorter I’m horizontal length than the passenger mirror so they did try to design it against blind spots